Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old November 13th, 2012 (04:36 PM).
Watcher

Quote originally posted by Aquibian:
Tthanks wwmb for your help, although I had some success on my part too!

Note for all people editing the Hoenn Dex using the POE: Make the first pokemon (In my case, Togepi) have the same national value as Treecko, who is the first in the Hoenn Dex... and so on.

I don't know if this was resolved somewhere else at an earlier time, but I feel quite proud for figuring it out after many trials and errors.
Awesome, and congratulations! I'll take note of that too
Old November 13th, 2012 (05:09 PM).

I do have one other question, this one more scripting related:

How do I make a script that enters a pokemon into the pokedex as if you caught one? (So a pokeball appears next to the name of others of its kind in the wild, so I can look at its pokedex entry... so on.)
Old November 14th, 2012 (08:04 AM).
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
I do have one other question, this one more scripting related:

How do I make a script that enters a pokemon into the pokedex as if you caught one? (So a pokeball appears next to the name of others of its kind in the wild, so I can look at its pokedex entry... so on.)
Is that kind of a script called ever during the normal gameplay? No.
This pretty much answers it; you're going to have to locate the asm routine loaded whenever a pokemon is caught during the battle, which is used to display its pokedex entry (if not caught before already), and use parts of it. No need asking how to do it - it's "difficult" to achieve.

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old November 14th, 2012 (07:39 PM).

Quote originally posted by miksy91:
Is that kind of a script called ever during the normal gameplay? No.
This pretty much answers it; you're going to have to locate the asm routine loaded whenever a pokemon is caught during the battle, which is used to display its pokedex entry (if not caught before already), and use parts of it. No need asking how to do it - it's "difficult" to achieve.
Alright :/ I just thought it might be simpler than ASM routines because I was sure there were scripts used in the games that give pokemon the 'seen' flag, so I thought the 'captured' flag wouldn't be far off...

It was just a curiosity on my part; I just changed a little part of my hack so I wouldn't have to do 'voodoo magic' with ASM stuff to do something so trivial.
Old November 14th, 2012 (08:52 PM).

I've just been getting into creating maps but whenever I do an "inside" map the background is a bright purple instead of the black tiles that I've selected and I'm not sure what exactly is wrong or if its a common error.
Old November 14th, 2012 (10:18 PM).
The Legendary Master of Light!
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by IrrelevantPride:
I've just been getting into creating maps but whenever I do an "inside" map the background is a bright purple instead of the black tiles that I've selected and I'm not sure what exactly is wrong or if its a common error.
That usually happens when you use the first tile in the tileset rather than the second blank one. Remember, the first tile in a tileset is an undefined tile which is unusable. So always use the tiles that aren't the first one, remember that. ;)

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm gradually learning to use Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old November 14th, 2012 (11:12 PM).

Alright :/ I just thought it might be simpler than ASM routines because I was sure there were scripts used in the games that give pokemon the 'seen' flag, so I thought the 'captured' flag wouldn't be far off...

It was just a curiosity on my part; I just changed a little part of my hack so I wouldn't have to do 'voodoo magic' with ASM stuff to do something so trivial.
Heck, I completely read your script in a wrong way...
I thought you wanted to make an item ball and if picked, it would display the pokedex entry of the pokemon received by talking to that item ball.

But to answer to your question, no, no such thing can be achieve just with one scripting command but somebody should know the ram address where the "captured" data of each pokemon is stored for pokedex. You'd have to locate the ram address used for this pokemon, and set its bit accordingly from 0 to 1. This is best done with assembly, but it's one of the easiest things that can be achieved with it. The only problem is, is there documentation about the ram addresses used for "capture data" of pokedex?

Old November 15th, 2012 (12:52 AM).

Quote originally posted by PokémonShinySilver:
That usually happens when you use the first tile in the tileset rather than the second blank one. Remember, the first tile in a tileset is an undefined tile which is unusable. So always use the tiles that aren't the first one, remember that.
Worked! Thank you sir, now to continue on with more things
Old November 15th, 2012 (10:24 AM).

Hey guys I was wondering how to change the probability of running into a shiny pokemon for the G/S/C generation through a hex editor!

Thanks!
Old November 15th, 2012 (01:09 PM).

Quote originally posted by twizzler:
Hey guys I was wondering how to change the probability of running into a shiny pokemon for the G/S/C generation through a hex editor!

Thanks!
An ASM editor would be the actual tool you're looking for (as it's more suitable to this type of hacking than a hex editor which would "go fine" too).

http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/175/

Old November 15th, 2012 (01:12 PM).

Hi there, I am currently making a ROM with my friend. But for some problem, when I open Advanced text, it gives me this run time 13 error. It says settings.ini is missing. I'm not sure what to do, can someone help me?
Old November 15th, 2012 (06:18 PM).
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Cut for brevity
Quote originally posted by miksy91:
Cut for brevity
Actually, this is one of those rare occasions where you don't need to actually KNOW where the memory is, nor how it is manipulated, as you could modify the existing special to set a species as caught with relatively minimal fuss.

As you may/may not know, it uses a variable to define which species to add as seen to the Dex. It wouldn't be hard to make it use the Most Significant Bit as a "Seen/Caught mode" bit (eg, you want to set Chikorita to seen, you would set it to 0x0098, if you wanted to set Chikorita to caught, you would set it to 0x8098).

It would still require ASM, but at least you don't need to know how to manipulate the seen/caught flags, huh?
Old November 15th, 2012 (11:30 PM).
The Legendary Master of Light!
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by joseph92411:
Hi there, I am currently making a ROM with my friend. But for some problem, when I open Advanced text, it gives me this run time 13 error. It says settings.ini is missing. I'm not sure what to do, can someone help me?
Ah! I see your problem, it's because you've either haven't extracted all the files from the .zip file or you have deleted the settings.ini. Remove the Advanced Text folder and re-extract the files from the Advanced Text .zip file.

That should fix your problem, but if it continues to occur... then you probably haven't got the .NET Framework 4 installed, which you can indeed download directly from Microsoft. ;)

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm gradually learning to use Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old November 16th, 2012 (09:58 AM).

Whenever I edit a trainer using PET, the battle theme is that of the Champion, anyone know why this is happening?
Not that it affects anything much, I'm just sick of Wallace popping up whenever I battle a custom trainer.
Old November 16th, 2012 (01:43 PM).
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
Quote originally posted by CameraFan:
Whenever I edit a trainer using PET, the battle theme is that of the Champion, anyone know why this is happening?
Not that it affects anything much, I'm just sick of Wallace popping up whenever I battle a custom trainer.
I'm sure there is an easy fix for that... But I'm just going to say: Use A-Trainer. It's far less buggy and is a LOT easier to use.
Old November 16th, 2012 (08:55 PM). Edited November 16th, 2012 by awipe1.

Does anyone have an ash trainer sprite/ashe overworld sprites I can use?
I need them for my ROM and I can't find them anywhere and I am absolutly terrible at making sprites! (No joke, I am so bad I debated making all the characters stick figures)
Old November 16th, 2012 (09:03 PM).
Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by awipe1:
Does anyone have an ashe trainer sprite/ashe overworld sprites I can use?
I need them for my ROM and I can't find them anywhere and I am absolutly terrible at making sprites! (No joke, I am so bad I debated making all the characters stick figures)
I seriously just typed "Ash sprites and overworlds" on Google Images and came up with over fifty public sprites that look nice.

There are Ash overworld sprites on WAH's page somewhere too, if you want to look around there.
Old November 16th, 2012 (11:59 PM).

I've never hacked a ROM before.

I'm thinking of hacking my girlfriends flora sky ROM for our anniversary to leave a nice little love message. Something like having a pokemon trainer called 'Puddingfork' that tells her he loves her.

Would this mess up her save? Would it be hard for me to do? Should I just take the easy route and and make the pokemon names spell something out?
Old November 17th, 2012 (01:50 AM). Edited November 17th, 2012 by CameraFan.

Is it possible to create a trainer from scratch without editing another one?
Old November 17th, 2012 (03:02 AM).
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote originally posted by CameraFan:
Is it possible to create a trainer from scratch without editing another one?
You mean a new Trainer Sprite or a new Trainer Data?

For the sprite yup you can definitely do that but it will require Hex Editing and would get complicated. As for a new Trainer Data you can expand it using A-Trainer but it might cause problems in battling.
Old November 17th, 2012 (04:35 AM).

Eh... I've been thinking of practicing hacking Emerald in my (unfortunately infinitesimal) free time, but I can't seem to save the maps I edit. Help?
Old November 17th, 2012 (06:02 AM). Edited November 17th, 2012 by Herpahermaderp.
I liek Mudkipz

Send a message via Skype™ to Herpahermaderp
Quote originally posted by Puddingfork:
I've never hacked a ROM before.

I'm thinking of hacking my girlfriends flora sky ROM for our anniversary to leave a nice little love message. Something like having a pokemon trainer called 'Puddingfork' that tells her he loves her.

Would this mess up her save? Would it be hard for me to do? Should I just take the easy route and and make the pokemon names spell something out?
This wouldn't be hard to do and I believe that it would do nothing to her save. All you have to do is find the trainer you want to edit on A-Map, then find their script offset, open that offset in XSE, edit what you want to edit, then recompile it and your done.

Quote originally posted by Ach7AC:
Eh... I've been thinking of practicing hacking Emerald in my (unfortunately infinitesimal) free time, but I can't seem to save the maps I edit. Help?
Are you clicking the file>save button? If so, a little bit more info would help, like if your getting error messages or something. In A-Map everytime you switch your map it asks if you would like to save.
Old November 17th, 2012 (10:41 AM). Edited November 17th, 2012 by CameraFan.

Something just screwed up. I have to have a tileset swap between a town and a route, only to have some glitch effects happen when I try to travel to said route (can't post pic because I don't have 15 posts :s):

Problems:
Random invisible walls I didn't make
Houses from the swapped tileset turns glitchy
Some textures vanish
Game freeze

Am I right about why it's been caused? I like the house as it is normally and don't want to change it unless I have to.
edit- It's not to do with seeing tiles change. I expanded the map so you couldn't see anything change ahd trees shift position when you go into the route then back out. The connections are lined up so what's going wrong?
Old November 17th, 2012 (01:44 PM).

Quote originally posted by Herpahermaderp:
This wouldn't be hard to do and I believe that it would do nothing to her save. All you have to do is find the trainer you want to edit on A-Map, then find their script offset, open that offset in XSE, edit what you want to edit, then recompile it and your done.

Are you clicking the file>save button? If so, a little bit more info would help, like if your getting error messages or something. In A-Map everytime you switch your map it asks if you would like to save.
I try saving, but it does not work. Every time I try to switch maps the program asks me if I want to save or not. If I click yes, nothing happens and I will not switch maps.
Old November 17th, 2012 (02:30 PM).
I liek Mudkipz

Send a message via Skype™ to Herpahermaderp
Quote originally posted by Ach7AC:
I try saving, but it does not work. Every time I try to switch maps the program asks me if I want to save or not. If I click yes, nothing happens and I will not switch maps.
Then you should try deleting your A-Map and reinstall it. Btw, what version of A-Map are you using? I highly recommend using 1.92, since 1.95 is still buggy and tends to do stuff like this.

Sponsored Links