The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner

Notices

Roleplay Corner The realm where writers gather to create glorious tales or silly drama together and chronicle their adventures. Start or join roleplays featuring Pokémon, other franchises or something completely original!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Synerjee
A madman with a box.

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Storm View Post
Sword Art Online and Pokemon Trainer Academy are two good beginner-friendly roleplays for you to join in! I believe Swifty has a couple spots open for the SAO roleplay, and I'm not sure if my spot at PTA has been filled since I dropped out of the RP. xD
I see. The one I put in an SU was for the Pokemon Trainer Academy actually! I just went for the one that looked the most popular and the most fun. xD Hmm perhaps I shall view the others as well, but I won't join them yet. Let me get used to having one role first..if I manage to get in, that is. :P

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:29 AM
PkMnTrainer Yellow
RP Mentor
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
There are currently quite a handful of spots at PTA, as I just recently purged somewhere between 6-8 members for inactivity. Not gonna deny that we do what we do very well, but there's certainly something to be said for variety in terms of the roleplays you join. There's so many different kinds and so many experiences to be had. I'd recommend looking around to see if you might enjoy a second or third RP at the least. That all depends on how much you can handle.
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Mr. Mammoth
One cool snowman

People! A rare instance just occurred! I, Mr. Mammoth have actually posted here instead of just lurking around like a creepy person!

In any case, I just wanted to pose a question. How do people here feel about RPs with Fakemon in them? I was just wondering since I haven't seen much RPs with Fakemon at all. There was one, however I don't think that it got far enough to include them.
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:56 PM
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mammoth View Post
How do people here feel about RPs with Fakemon in them? I was just wondering since I haven't seen much RPs with Fakemon at all. There was one, however I don't think that it got far enough to include them.
It depends on the quality and the lore behind them. If it's a low quality one then it'd definitely deter me from joining the RP, I was the same way about hacks, really.
Old November 11th, 2012, 01:05 PM
TornZero
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
I'm with machomuu on that one. It takes a long time to come up with Fakemon; especially good ones. In almost every case, real Pokémon would be better and easier. I do remember one roleplay, though, where you were able to capture real animals that were monster-ized — it was New World Order, aspie3000's roleplay.

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
Old November 11th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Skymin
the gratitude pokémon

Nature: Quirky
I agree, if you want Fakémon, you gotta put the effort. The kind of lore you want has to be on par with Raikiri and Supervegeta's Hyrus (though they removed their front page so I can't show you an example). You gotta go ALL OUT. It's not an overnight thing. It's a three month project that you gotta be patient with.
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Aques Keus
Swaggins
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
1. When writing a fiction how do you decide gender? Is it ever symbolic, is it random, or is it whatever yours is?

2. What about side characters? Is there always a certain amount of characters of a certain gender or do you also make this random?

3. Finally my question: How would one go about keeping gender anonymous? I don't want to tell the exact gender of the main character.

(I posted this in the Fanfic area as well as it seems relevant in both threads)

Frio & Elise || Jayce & Jayce 2
Old November 12th, 2012, 09:53 AM
TornZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khawill View Post
1. When writing a fiction how do you decide gender? Is it ever symbolic, is it random, or is it whatever yours is?
It's pretty much random. I either think of it along with the personality, or after it — that's what it depends on, really, rather than any sort of symbolism. I don't like putting myself into my character enough to actually think it stands for something unless it doesn't actually relate to myself; things like politics or the state of the world, and that's still a stretch. I may, however, base a character off someone I know in real life.

Quote:
2. What about side characters? Is there always a certain amount of characters of a certain gender or do you also make this random?
It's still random for me; generally it's a "what works best for this" situation. If there are more guys, or more girls, so be it. It's not like anyone really cares about ratio as long as the difference isn't glaringly obvious, or the characters aren't well-developed.

Quote:
3. Finally my question: How would one go about keeping gender anonymous? I don't want to tell the exact gender of the main character.
Either don't use "he" or "she", or use both. Note that this only works in dialogue, where two people could see the same person as different sexes. If you're trying to keep it anonymous to the reader or the character is actually androgynous or neutrois, use "they" or one of the various gender-neutral pronouns available.

In roleplaying, this isn't going to be possible, since the character sheet kind of has to dictate their sex a good 99.999% of the time. You have to make sure the other players don't have a third person omniscient perspective going on in their posts, so at least their characters aren't sure about your character's sex. Tell them through VMs or PMs (no one likes being publicly called out), "No one's supposed to know [name] is a [sex]," and they should be polite enough to make their characters act confused about whether yours is male or female/androgyne/transgender.

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:23 PM
drunk ¬_¬
Inebriated Baby

Nature: Naughty
Hello everyone!

I've been trying to focus on school lately, but my RP addiction is starting to call me back to the site.

Are there any active, yet slow and informal RPs I could take part in?

I don't want to sign up for something more serious because finals will start soon enough, but I still want to have something to write, from time to time.
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:49 PM
TornZero

Pokémon Fallout is readily available, drunk ¬_¬! It's generally player-driven, so you're free to post as you please as long as you're accepted and not taking on player interactions constantly.

Old November 14th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Skymin
the gratitude pokémon

Nature: Quirky
Just a reminder to everyone to make sure to post your nominations in the Roleplay Awards! As this is a once a season event, if you miss out now, you won't be able to get your votes in until February! And that's a whole new season of roleplays!

Click me for a handy link!
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Axeliira
the wants what it wants

Yeah, I'm working on those, ma'am! :D

School is gonna die down for me in three weeks, and earlier tonight I got an idea for a roleplay. Anyone into Super Smash Bros? :D I'm working on it slowly since I'm being brutally hammered by homework. D:
11/21/2014 / Staff Collab 2014
Old November 15th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...

Nature: Lonely
Quote:

School is gonna die down for me in three weeks, and earlier tonight I got an idea for a roleplay. Anyone into Super Smash Bros? :D I'm working on it slowly since I'm being brutally hammered by homework. D:
F*** YES!!

Though... I question how you could possibly turn this into a Roleplay.

Like, Subspace Emissary?

Old November 15th, 2012, 10:04 AM
PkMnTrainer Yellow
RP Mentor
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
@Leafstorm: Wolf is interested in the prospect of Super Smash Bros in the context where I won't be able to spam falcon punch and still win.

Anyway. Yeah the idea itself is pretty interesting.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Axeliira
the wants what it wants

I'm not gonna use Subspace Emissary on this roleplay I'm making. I'll have a complete different antagonist. :P Also all characters of the roleplay will be humans with characteristics of the SSB characters (a human with Pikachu's volt tackle, a guy with Mario's final smash, etc). I mean, It's too long to explain and the idea right now is too early, so I'm scribbling everything I can possibly think of in my notebook lol. xD
11/21/2014 / Staff Collab 2014
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
I'm not gonna use Subspace Emissary on this roleplay I'm making. I'll have a complete different antagonist. :P Also all characters of the roleplay will be humans with characteristics of the SSB characters (a human with Pikachu's volt tackle, a guy with Mario's final smash, etc). I mean, It's too long to explain and the idea right now is too early, so I'm scribbling everything I can possibly think of in my notebook lol. xD
I didn't mean the Subspace story, I just meant something like a story mode (which Subspace was). Anyways, I'd definitely be interested in it.

Old November 15th, 2012, 05:39 PM
ShinyDiamond
«Dual Wield» User
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Quote:

Quote:
I'm not gonna use Subspace Emissary on this roleplay I'm making. I'll have a complete different antagonist. Also all characters of the roleplay will be humans with characteristics of the SSB characters (a human with Pikachu's volt tackle, a guy with Mario's final smash, etc). I mean, It's too long to explain and the idea right now is too early, so I'm scribbling everything I can possibly think of in my notebook lol. xD
:D Put me in with Pit! I must fly, I was born to fly! I shall make everyone face the light! *already has Palutena Bow equipped*

While I'm alive, I won't let any party members die.

Paired for life with Rose Quartz
~Dia+PS~
Old November 15th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Pokemonmaster_draco
One Of The Best

Nature: Modest
Hey Everyone! I'm just thinking out loud here...um, does anyone feel interested in a Naruto Based RP?

Spoiler:
A Scattered Dream That's Like A Far Off Memory......!
A Far Off Memory That's Like A Scattered Dream....!
I Want To Line The Pieces Up.....!

Yours And Mine

Current RP I'm:

Old November 15th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Aques Keus
Swaggins
Community Supporter

Has anyone seen Angel Beats? I just reached it and I was thinking "this would make one good roleplay, you know after the events of the anime.

Old November 16th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Sweet_Dreams
i is a gud righter

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khawill View Post
Has anyone seen Angel Beats? I just reached it and I was thinking "this would make one good roleplay, you know after the events of the anime.
Oh, I have! But didn't everybody move on after the anime? The world would be empty except for... whatshisface (I haven't watched in a while). So do you mean RPing as the next batch of people? Because that could be really interesting and awesome. And give everyone an excuse to make the traumatic backstories that they've always wanted to. XD
Old November 16th, 2012, 03:52 AM
Aques Keus
Swaggins
Community Supporter

Exactly, though Otanashi would have moved on by this point and there would be an entirely new set of people.

Old November 16th, 2012, 08:54 AM
machomuu
Community Supporter

@Sweet_Dreams @Khawill - Guys, watch the spoilers, some people haven't watched it yet.

Though, still, we could always do a prequel about previous people who were there before Yuri and the gang.
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Sweet_Dreams
i is a gud righter

Whoops. Sorry!

The only problem being that nobody would ever want to go because that would mean the RP would end.

I should rewatch soon. It was awesome, even if it was tragically cut down from 26 episodes to 13...
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:44 PM
machomuu
Community Supporter

Isn't that a good thing? That's kind of the theme of Angel Beats!, it's that you cannot linger and simply be happy ignoring your mistakes, you must face them or you will never be truly happy. I won't spoil anything, but there really can't be an everlasting Angel Beats! RP, considering a few things. I really do think that if there were an AB! RP then it should have an ending, anyway.
Old November 16th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Sweet_Dreams
i is a gud righter

I'm saying that there are always disagreeable RPers who might refuse to let their characters stop angsting long enough to let go, lol. If it's made clear in the beginning of the RP that they'll have to let go eventually, then I'm sure it will be fine.

Sponsored Links