The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Advertise here

Old November 10th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Azureth

Nature: Calm

Advertise here
All other explosive attacks are considered physical, such as seed bomb, egg bomb, and selfdestruct.
Old November 10th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Jolly
I don't know to be honest. It makes less sense to me that Gunk Shot is physical but Sludge Bomb isn't to me though.
Old November 12th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Haza
☆A Life of Pokémon & Beyoncé ☆
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I always imagine it being a projectile move so it makes sense to me. Especially seeing it's animation in the anime, I always imagine it that way while my Roserade uses the move too.

Δloyisious Divo |Haza D'Ξvil
The poison that is always fatal... yet the stinger won't stop stinging
Twitter
Facebook
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:42 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I think Sludge Bomb got changed to a special move for the same reason as Sludge. While both are projectile moves to an extent, Sludge (Bomb) might need some form of energy to execute.

Old November 12th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Hoenn
» Mind games
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
I think it suits being a special move rather than a Physical based.

Old November 12th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Ice Car

By that logic, shouldn't Gunk Shot be special too?
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:34 PM
sunshinesan
Pokesho fan

Nature: Bold
Poison/sludge moves are very hard to decide for when it comes to physical/special. They are almost in between. Physical = rock, Special = water, ? = gooey somewhat liquid, somewhat solid sludge.

Currently playing as of 10/26/2012: POKEMON WHITE 2
FC: 3826 6533 5813
Crazy Shenanigans - Click Me
Old November 12th, 2012, 01:22 PM
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More

Nature: Lonely
When gunk shot was used for the first time in the anime, it was shown to hurl exploding balls of trash and poison. With sludge bomb i come to think of it as being launched some way or another with energy rather than physical strength. But tbh, idk i would like for sludge bomb to be physical
Old November 12th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Fuyuki~

Well, what else is going to replace Sludge Bomb as the Poison-Type Psychic/
Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/etc. if it is changed to Physical?
Old November 13th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Ninjagon
Back from a break.

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Ninjagon
I think it looks like a special move, imo. So yeah what most people have said. It IS projectile.

There aren't many Lions left in the world now, yet poachers still exist. Even though it is illegal it still happens. Don't have anything to do with poaching - Take pride in your actions (pun intended)
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:36 PM
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus

It makes less sense for something like Self-destruct or Explosion to be a physical move.

I know it's a move you find among Physical walls or Poison types, but that doesn't mean it has to be physical. It's a freakin EXPLOSION.

That's like saying Hyper Beam is a physical move. You can't be too sure, I mean.. Hyper Beam is essentially an explosive too! Freakin' nintendo logic....
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Fuyuki~

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiemanFiddy View Post
It makes less sense for something like Self-destruct or Explosion to be a physical move.

I know it's a move you find among Physical walls or Poison types, but that doesn't mean it has to be physical. It's a freakin EXPLOSION.

That's like saying Hyper Beam is a physical move. You can't be too sure, I mean.. Hyper Beam is essentially an explosive too! Freakin' nintendo logic....
On that note, may I pose a question?

How does SmokeScreen and Sand-Attack make Explosion and Self-Destruct less accurate?
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:46 PM
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuki~ View Post
On that note, may I pose a question?

How does SmokeScreen and Sand-Attack make Explosion and Self-Destruct less accurate?

Are you trying to counter my point or support it? I don't understand.

The fact that an explosion is a physical move is implying that the explosive itself is a sentient being capable of making an actual PHYSICAL contact with the opponent... when in reality, it melts your skin off.

A move like Sand Attack or Smokescreen shouldn't affect an explosion... because it's an Explosion. If I lit a bonfire inside of one of the 9/11 planes, and it was surrounded by smoke, do you think it'd miss the Twin Towers? Probably not. (Not meant to be offensive, just to make a point)

Let me make another point. Goku's Kamehameha wave. I know it's off-topic.. but do you see Goku's Kamehameha punching people in the face? No! It explodes, and incinerates them.

...Nintendo Logic. Sorry If you WERE supporting my point, I just needed to go on a rant about the obvious flaw in logic.
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Fuyuki~

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiemanFiddy View Post
Are you trying to counter my point or support it? I don't understand.

The fact that an explosion is a physical move is implying that the explosive itself is a sentient being capable of making an actual PHYSICAL contact with the opponent... when in reality, it melts your skin off.

A move like Sand Attack or Smokescreen shouldn't affect an explosion... because it's an Explosion. If I lit a bonfire inside of one of the 9/11 planes, and it was surrounded by smoke, do you think it'd miss the Twin Towers? Probably not. (Not meant to be offensive, just to make a point)

Let me make another point. Goku's Kamehameha wave. I know it's off-topic.. but do you see Goku's Kamehameha punching people in the face? No! It explodes, and incinerates them.

...Nintendo Logic. Sorry If you WERE supporting my point, I just needed to go on a rant about the obvious flaw in logic.
I just saw your point about Explosion being Physical and not Special and citing it as "Nintendo Logic" so that reminded me of my own question I had not too long ago. It wasn't trying to support or disprove your argument in anyway~

I realize that it should be special because you aren't making direct contact with the opponent.
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:59 PM
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuki~ View Post
I just saw your point about Explosion being Physical and not Special and citing it as "Nintendo Logic" so that reminded me of my own question I had not too long ago. It wasn't trying to support or disprove your argument in anyway~

I realize that it should be special because you aren't making direct contact with the opponent.

Precisely.

On topic about Sludge Bomb though, it actually is tough to determine if it's special or not.

I'm just imagining a versatile ball-shaped figure covered in sludge smacking the opponent. I suppose it could be a physical move if Sludge were actually made up from a material instead of pure sludge. =/
Old November 14th, 2012, 10:04 PM
rocky505
<Now who's awesome!

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...ludge_Bomb.png

Looks special to me.

One move that confuses me is Petal dance. Why is it a special move if it makes contact.
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:48 AM
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky505 View Post
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...ludge_Bomb.png

Looks special to me.

One move that confuses me is Petal dance. Why is it a special move if it makes contact.

A Physical move is supposed to be defined by something that a pokemon uses out of it's own arsenal to make a PHYSICAL contact with the opponent.

Egg Bomb for example. The pokemon may not be making contact, but a PART of the pokemon is.
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:49 PM
rocky505
<Now who's awesome!

Petal dance does make physical contact. It activates static and so does grass knot.
Old November 17th, 2012, 07:08 AM
CJBlazer
Rogon, the Ninja Pokemon

Nature: Serious
Well....

Special refers to a ranged attack, such as a blast of flames or a forceful burst of water from a Pokemon.

Physical refers to a physical attack, such as a punch or kick.

Other refers to any attack that does not inflict damage

From the way Sludge Bomb looks, the Pokemon fires a huge bomb of toxic wastes at the opponent, so it would appear to be special.

Hope I helped.

From left to right, Rogetta, Rogon, Rogastar.
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBlazer View Post
Well....

Special refers to a ranged attack, such as a blast of flames or a forceful burst of water from a Pokemon.

Physical refers to a physical attack, such as a punch or kick.

Other refers to any attack that does not inflict damage

From the way Sludge Bomb looks, the Pokemon fires a huge bomb of toxic wastes at the opponent, so it would appear to be special.

Hope I helped.
Special doesn't determin Ranged attacks. Razor Leaf is Physical and is purely ranged.

Physical and Special are for manifestation as I saw someone post. Example Magical Leaf vs Razor Leaf. Magical Leaf, the user summons from nothing energy that takes the form of leaves that are fired at the opponent. Razor Leaf is used when the user fires leaves from its body at an incredible speed so that it can cut its opponent.

Special moves can make physcal contact as the user has to be close enough to touch the opponent to use it and at the same time some Physcial attacks don't have to make physical contact (which means the user isn't touching the opponent.)

From Bulbapedia:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical Attacks
A physical move is one in which the user uses its physical strength or solid projectiles in order to damage its foes.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here