The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center > Events & Groups

Notices

Events & Groups Want to join or set up a tournament? You're in the right place! Here you can find competitions and events as well as clans and other groups.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed. Posts in this forum do not add to your total post count. Four-word rule and character-limit do not apply here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 16th, 2012, 12:02 PM
awolffromspace
whatever happens, happens

Anyway, bombard away with tournament ideas; we especially need a Christmas tournament theme! Here is the list of (undecided) tournament themes.

1. Christmas theme
2. NU
3. OU
4. Randbats
5. Seasonal Randbats
...then repeat

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Icy Burn
Beginner Breeder | Kyurem W <3

Nature: Jolly
Ooh, suggesting themes? Haunted OU! (Ghost Types)
Old November 17th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Zeffy
mischief managed

I don't know, but I don't think Haunted OU is appropriate with the Christmas theme. Maybe something like mono-ice tourney? I can't really think of anything else right now lol
Old November 17th, 2012, 08:46 PM
RandomTrainerWhoCould
Yo

Nature: Relaxed
Or a monocolour tourny with white, green, and red as the colors?
Hax is supposed to happen. Scald has a 100% burn rate(willowisp w/ perfect accuracy); paralysis has a 75% chance of kicking in; Rock slide misses more than stone edge; Hustle= 50% more power at the cost of 100% accuracy.
I get haxed a lot and the hax gods who are the gods of hax hate me I'm sad :[
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:57 AM
awolffromspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomTrainerWhoCould View Post
Or a monocolour tourny with white, green, and red as the colors?
I think this would be the best theme to go with; it seems more Christmas-related than Ice monotype. I think Nica had an idea a while back where everyone uses Delibird in their team, but I'll wait until she finds it. Monocolor still seems like the best option though.
Old November 25th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Forever

Hi I forgot to post!

So basically it was that everyone had a Delibird and a present on their team. Before the match, an importable of your "present" is given to your opponent. You choose it, they don't, and then you battle with four Pokemon, the Delbird and whatever the present is. idm if it's used or not, though. :)

hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
Old November 26th, 2012, 11:34 AM
awolffromspace

Nica and I agreed to stick with the monocolor idea. With that said, all of the tournament themes have been set in stone. Everyone has around a month to prepare as many teams as they want for Christmas monocolor-themed OU, NU, and regular OU tournaments.

Old December 5th, 2012, 11:06 AM
awolffromspace

Bumping this to let everyone know that there will be two Wi-Fi tournaments during the upcoming CommDay! The themes are Christmas-themed monocolor and VGC '13. If these tours are successful, expect more support for Wi-Fi in future CommDays.

Old December 7th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Griffinbane
FEAR THE PILOSWINE

Nature: Lax
A question. How are you gonna set up the wifi tournaments for community night? Everyone participating must log on PS? Times? Etc.?

White: 1463 5558 5309
X: 2208 5685 5454
- - - -
Old December 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM
awolffromspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinbane View Post
A question. How are you gonna set up the wifi tournaments for community night? Everyone participating must log on PS? Times? Etc.?
The same as the server tournaments. The first Wi-Fi tournament will start at the beginning of CommDay, or whenever there's enough people. Everyone will need to be on the server for the sign ups, brackets, and so on. If they were held on the forum, it wouldn't really be considered CommDay anymore, and it would just be an inconvenient version of a typical forum tournament.

I can't offer times because CommDay can be really unpredictable. We generally have tournaments almost non-stop throughout the day as long as it's active. The themes listed in the first post are reused until we want something different. A Wi-Fi tournament consisting of 6-10 members will probably last around two hours (maybe longer than that because it's Wi-Fi). So, there will likely be a tournament every two hours or so, but I'm not sure when all of the Wi-Fi battlers will start logging on and when we begin the Wi-Fi tours. I could say that we'll have the Christmas tour at 8 AM EST, VGC at 10 AM, another Christmas tour at 12 PM, etc., but I'm not sure if there will be enough people to join each of those. In the last CommDay I provided a rough schedule of times for when all the tournaments are held, but not many showed up for that one. And then I had a few members asking me why "this tournament" hasn't started yet despite it being on the schedule (the reason being, there wasn't enough people).
Old December 7th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Griffinbane
FEAR THE PILOSWINE

Nature: Lax
Welp, the issue really isn't the getting onto the server thing to sign up or whatnot. The main problem is setting a set time for the tourneys because everyone's gonna be on at different times all day and without a time set, you may never get enough wifi people online at once to start a tourney. I see your point, but the issue gets compounded by the fact that there are far fewer wifi battlers than there are sim battlers.

White: 1463 5558 5309
X: 2208 5685 5454
- - - -
Old December 8th, 2012, 07:32 PM
awolffromspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinbane View Post
Welp, the issue really isn't the getting onto the server thing to sign up or whatnot. The main problem is setting a set time for the tourneys because everyone's gonna be on at different times all day and without a time set, you may never get enough wifi people online at once to start a tourney. I see your point, but the issue gets compounded by the fact that there are far fewer wifi battlers than there are sim battlers.
Thing is, we did have a set time for many of the previous CommDays (CommNight at the time), but we always had problems with getting people on at a certain time (especially due to time zones). Not to mention we had a smaller userbase then, so having a set time didn't really help. Regardless, I'll give a time that all Wi-Fi battlers can show up on just in case we have issues with the lack of sign-ups. TB told me that the TC chatroom and its regulars are most active at times from noon to midnight (EST). I was also told that certain users wake up pretty late (lol), so I think 4 PM EST should be a good time. Bear in mind that it's possible for the Wi-Fi tournaments to start earlier or later given there's enough people.

Last edited by awolffromspace; December 8th, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM
awolffromspace

Due to Smogon taking too long to come up with something for the December version of "Seasoning's Greetings," an NU tournament hosted by Forever will be replacing that theme. For this theme, every team is required to have some form of hailstorm activation (Snover or the move Hail) in addition to the NU Pokémon of the Fortnight (Glaceon).

Last edited by awolffromspace; December 12th, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:26 AM
RandomTrainerWhoCould
Yo

Just a question, what tier would the Christmas monocolour be? OU?
And can you give us the times for the tournies

I should stop editing my post so much and actually read the OP lool
Hax is supposed to happen. Scald has a 100% burn rate(willowisp w/ perfect accuracy); paralysis has a 75% chance of kicking in; Rock slide misses more than stone edge; Hustle= 50% more power at the cost of 100% accuracy.

Last edited by RandomTrainerWhoCould; December 12th, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:29 AM
awolffromspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomTrainerWhoCould View Post
Just a question, what tier would the Christmas monocolour be? OU?
Yes, it's OU. Read the first post for more details. ;)
Old December 21st, 2012, 10:23 PM
servine101
hatched, evolved egg

Nature: Quiet
ok i thought about it, and im not staying up the whole night... ._.

Last edited by servine101; December 21st, 2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: what was i thinking?
Old December 21st, 2012, 10:43 PM
Forever

Don't forget to make HAIL TEAMS with Glaceon for COMM DAY as many of you haven't D<

hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
Old December 21st, 2012, 10:46 PM
RandomTrainerWhoCould
Yo

http://www.smogon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84

Spoiler:
jk ofc :]
Old December 22nd, 2012, 04:38 PM
Kouzan
When did the sky turn black?

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
Hey not to ask a noobish question,but Wi-Fi tournaments would be on DS games right??

Oh oh these are beautiful times.
Clubs: Dark Type Club | Adventure Time Club
EGC | BMGf | DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old December 22nd, 2012, 04:54 PM
awolffromspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWsquared View Post
Hey not to ask a noobish question,but Wi-Fi tournaments would be on DS games right??
Yes, but most Wi-Fi battlers haven't been on today, so we were unsuccessful (so far).

Old December 22nd, 2012, 04:59 PM
Kouzan
When did the sky turn black?

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
Oh ok. Then I guess I'll just join the server.

Oh oh these are beautiful times.
Clubs: Dark Type Club | Adventure Time Club
EGC | BMGf | DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:35 PM
awolffromspace

Well, CommDay 8 has come to an end, I hope you all enjoyed it. You can find all of the results for the tournaments we did by clicking this link (and the Hail tournament). Anyway, I have to say that CommDay 8 was significantly better than the last successful CommDay. We peaked at 25 users both during the early hours (before noon) and during nighttime. In CommDay 6, we only reached 22 users at a specific period, whereas this time it was consistent. Additionally, we had about twice the tournaments than CommDay 6, so that's good to hear. But I'm going to cut this short since I need some sleep. Happy holidays, merry Christmas, and so on!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links