The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, hens return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Spinosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivvon View Post
As an art student I might be a bit biased in this response, but realize that Ken Sugimori (the artist in charge of illustrating all species of Pokemon from its inception until now) is, deep down, just a human being. He was always very skilled, but as time passes and one gains more practice their technical skills improve. With this also tends to come a change in style. It's only natural. I've had friends who have seen drastic style changes in under a year because of great practice and skill improvement. Sugimori has been in the industry for over 15 years. His style has to change. If it didn't, he would actually be sacrificing technical skill; while it might not be very noticeable in the Pokemon, his gen 1 humans were incredibly stylized and very stiff. Now you can tell his grasp of more subtle muscle anatomy has improved, and the characters are more stylized while still maintaining a decent level of realism. Naturally, this would translate over to the Pokemon he draws as well. To think the art style would never change is wishful in almost all the wrong ways.
I appreciate your respond, but do note that I have never implied that I expected the art style to not change. I just dislike and disagree with his current style, is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVK View Post
EDIT: In my opinion Gen I pokes were made for children under 10, Simple and "cute" designs.
Gen V's designs got a lot more complex(with the origins of the design) and are aimed at the teenage player. Just my opinion on the designs etc.
Let me be the first to say kids in this current generation generally prefer overcomplicated designs, not simple "boring" ones. Why do you think stuff like Bakugan, Skylanders and the like are popular amongst kids?

I see it as the opposite personally, as stuff like the MegaTen series that are geared towards more mature audience got more simplistic designs. Examples from said series: [1][2][3][4]
The simple yet inspired and imaginative designs full of personality are what I appreciate when it comes to series that involves "monsters".
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Pinta77
Scatterbug Breeder

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
Let me be the first to say kids in this current generation generally prefer overcomplicated designs, not simple "boring" ones. Why do you think stuff like Bakugan, Skylanders and the like are popular amongst kids?
Good point. I never understood those bakugans.
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:32 AM
Correspondence

I think they look different from the other Gen pokemon is because Unova is in the other side of the world compared to the other regions.And the different habitats make them look different.

On a side note:My 100th official post!
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:23 PM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MiTjA
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchguy View Post
...they look different from the other Gen pokemon is because...
But how can you tell they look different?

I mean, more different or different in different ways than any 2 from the same generation are different etc.
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:06 PM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
It does depend on the region; Hoenn is based on a region in Japan that has a relatively tropical climate, thus a lot of the Pokemon are meant to look 'tropical' or unique, like Tropius, Kecleon, etc.

I think the current Pokemon just have a little more thought put into the design, not necessarily more complicated.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old October 31st, 2012, 01:28 PM
Correspondence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiTjA View Post
But how can you tell they look different?

I mean, more different or different in different ways than any 2 from the same generation are different etc.
I mean that few pokemon from the first 4 Gens look similar to each other but From Unova i didn't see any similarities.But as AzaleaLightning said they gave more thought to this Gen's design so they look a bit "non-pokemonish" because the previous Gen pokemon didn't have so many details as this Gen's pokemon.idk :\
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:04 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
To be blunt? Yes.

However, they're not the first. Like Nosepass, for example. I never thought that one looked like a Pokemon. Likewise for Budew. I'll probably think of some others for which I thought "That's a Pokemon?" So... it really isn't exclusive to Gen V, although Gen V just had the most instances of it.

So, to be specific: Only a few, like happens every gen. I get used to them. I still don't like Klinkang, Cofagrigus, or Vanilluxe, though, and probably never will. But I'm used to them, and have accepted them as Pokemon... even though I don't want to.
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:50 PM
DVK
Hack based-God

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DVK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post

I see it as the opposite personally, as stuff like the MegaTen series that are geared towards more mature audience got more simplistic designs. Examples from said series: [1][2][3][4]
The simple yet inspired and imaginative designs full of personality are what I appreciate when it comes to series that involves "monsters".
I don't know where you live, but Bakugan has never been popular over here in New Zealand. Skylanders is pretty popular here, but I wouldn't say anything to do with it is "Over-Complicated" Heck, I don't even think the new Pokemon are complicated in their design(they are more complex. For example, if you look at Pawniard and Bisharp, what would you think their design was based on, 99% of people wouldn't know) I just think the Pokemon are inspired by more
than just Animals.

Old November 2nd, 2012, 12:29 AM
Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVK View Post
EDIT: In my opinion Gen I pokes were made for children under 10, Simple and "cute" designs.
Gen V's designs got a lot more complex(with the origins of the design) and are aimed at the teenage player. Just my opinion on the designs etc.
Ya that also makes sense with how the games themselves had older protagonists, thus hinted to something for an older age group. Otherwise they probably wouldn't have tried to tackle the darker issues in B/W. ;( There's also the generation gap, too, because really, things like Trubbish etc (hinting towards pollution and stuff!), the world is becoming more obsessed with actual "things", rather than the simplistic things such as spending time with animals outside, or at least from what I've noticed as I've grown up.

hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:26 AM
TKBAHAN
The King Charizard

Nature: Adamant
most of these pokemon are pretty poor looking and i think they are running out of ideas come on who wants to use an ice cream cone or bag of rubbish a lot of them think they should. the designs of most are pretty poor there are only a few that i like which makes it difficult to make a team when playing through these games think they should bring back the originals.
Old November 19th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKBAHAN View Post
most of these pokemon are pretty poor looking and i think they are running out of ideas come on who wants to use an ice cream cone or bag of rubbish a lot of them think they should. the designs of most are pretty poor there are only a few that i like which makes it difficult to make a team when playing through these games think they should bring back the originals.
It makes sense for people not wanting to use rubbish but an ice cream cone, well... there's nothing wrong with trying food, because it's pocket monsters and people trying to eat less food probably have nightmares about ice cream monsters? :x

hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
Old November 19th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Hikamaru
→ make a wish

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post

Ya that also makes sense with how the games themselves had older protagonists, thus hinted to something for an older age group. Otherwise they probably wouldn't have tried to tackle the darker issues in B/W. ;( There's also the generation gap, too, because really, things like Trubbish etc (hinting towards pollution and stuff!), the world is becoming more obsessed with actual "things", rather than the simplistic things such as spending time with animals outside, or at least from what I've noticed as I've grown up.
I agree with you Nica, I sorta knew something going with the Unova Pokemon designs.

Given the protagonists were older than in other games, the Pokemon also sorta looked like they were made to appeal the teenaged player. As hinted in a post above, the Kanto Pokemon were designed to be popular with kids.

Also, Unova has a lot of cute-looking and awesome Pokemon too. And with the complex designs it showed Pokefans that it took more than guessing to see what the origins of the Unova Pokemon were.

pairs | showdown | tumblr | vm

Old November 19th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful
Agreed with some people. Including with how there's like a Seedot, an Acorn. But I only use them for their stats, not their looks. Even though I made this thread a year ago.
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Hikamaru
→ make a wish

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanix769 View Post
Agreed with some people. Including with how there's like a Seedot, an Acorn. But I only use them for their stats, not their looks. Even though I made this thread a year ago.
You've got a point there. There are only some Pokemon I hate for their stats and not their looks.

pairs | showdown | tumblr | vm

Old November 19th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
You've got a point there. There are only some Pokemon I hate for their stats and not their looks.
Including Pikachu. I know that he's super cute and amazing, but he has a terrible stat makeup of Defenses and Attack and that he doesn't have that much kick butt moves. Hence is why I never use him, even Ledian. But some Pokemon I use that I kind of don't like but find it unique(Ferrothorn) comes in handy.

Last edited by Volcanix769; November 19th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links