• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Alomomola vs Amoonguss (NU Matchup #2)

Which do you pick??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Sup? This week we have a well-known core, and two NU mons that can both utilise Regenerator!

When comparing the two, I want you to also base it on which you'd use competitively, which do you think has the better chance, which you used in-game, which you like the design-of best, and what strategies you think one could use to beat the other. Each week these polls will continue until all combinations and tiers are used up (each Pokemon compared will be from the same competitive tier). To find out more about tiers, and how you can get the most out of these Pokemon, check out Battle Center. So which do you choose? Don't forget to post in the thread when voting in the poll, either!

acVDt.png
6219A.png
mfaEY.png

Years
I went with Amoonguss cos it has better stats than Alomomola and a good support movepool. Amoonguss makes a great wall, with some good moves like Toxic and Rage Powder. It even has Spore, which is one of the best sleep moves ever, making it easy to catch Pokemon too.

Alomomola may look beautiful, but its stats didn't cut it for me (way too much focus on HP!) and its movepool isn't all that great AT ALL.

So, that's why I picked Amoonguss.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Alomomola is, well quite frankly rubbish. No offence, but how is it not a Luvdisc evo? And then they try to be clever by making her name a palindrome! But statwise, Amoonguss is triumphant, and has way better move pool. It's designs better to. So yeah, Amoonguss wins for me!

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I like them both, but Amoonguss was the obvious choice here. Spore in NU is really strong, the only hard counter to it that comes to mind is Sap Sipper Miltank since Sawsbuck fears Clear Smog/Sludge Bomb. Spore, combined with its immunity to Toxic/Leech Seed/ToxicSpikes makes it much more useful in my opinion.

I might be a bit bias though; I use Amoonguss on a lot of teams and haven't played around with Alomomola much as it seems gimmicky and is never a threat to me.

BLOOOD-La-ti-

This is the place to try!
Years
Amonguss is a lot better than Alomomola,and as hikari said way too much focus on hp.
Amonguss is just better than Alomomola.Spore in NU is almighty.
But then i thought i voted for amonguss but i accidentally voted for alomomola.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I don't use either, but based on the reasons stated above (and my own experience fighting them) I'd say Amoonguss is the better battler. Spore gets big points, and I have a harder time knocking it out in battle than Alomomola (probably due to poison, sleep, etc.).

Cyclone

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
As ugly as Amoonguss is, I went with it simply because it's good at defending and crippling opponents with Spore. It also has the type advantage over Alomomola.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I couldn't help but give my vote to Amoonguss. It has just been to useful to me, being able to take some really strong hits, and then cripple opponents with Spore. It can even save other Pokemon by using Rage Powder. Alomomola isn't at all bad though, just no where near as good as Amoonguss.

Years
I will join the crowd with Amoonguss. Despite the flack it gets for being ugly, I prefer its design to Alomomola. Plus, it has a better niche and better movepool.

Pinta77

Totally Amoonguss! I didn't even know about the ability "regenerator". I'm a fan of Amoonguss's "effect spore". Other than that, it's just a reliable pokemon with a decent move pool.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
Alomola is meh. Decent stats but terrible out side of single battles. i aslo hate the design of it. It looks so odd. I love Ammongus though!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hmm so while I was thinking Alomomola, generally Amoonguss is more use, and easier to find, whereas Alomomola is rarer and isn't overly that useful imo, soo... Amoonguss!

Years
So I did have a lengthy post typed up on my iPod, but my goddamn iPod crashed.

Basically, Alomololola > Amoonguss because of better HP/defense, wishpassing, better typing, and Amoonguss is freaking ugly :]

Edit: no matter how good Amoonguss' movepool is, it will always be setup fodder with that meager SpA stat, it's like forretress in OU

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Voting for Amoongus. He has a straightforward yet worthwhile strategy. I have much love for Spore, Regenerator, and boosted Giga Drain this gen. While I can appreciate Alomomola's massive HP stat, I consider a Pokemon to be quite uninteresting if it has to run Protect and Toxic. That just screams mediocrity in movepool.

As for appearances, I like the concept behind the Foongus family. Alomomola leaves a bad taste in my mouth because it's very similar to Luvdisc. I would also use Amoongus in-game over Alomomola because 1) accessibility and 2) there are more interesting water types, like Samurott and Jellicent.

Years
Alomomola is, well quite frankly rubbish. No offence, but how is it not a Luvdisc evo? And then they try to be clever by making her name a palindrome! But statwise, Amoonguss is triumphant, and has way better move pool. It's designs better to. So yeah, Amoonguss wins for me!
This is basically the exact same way I feel about Alomomola, especially the evolution part. While I'm not that big a fan of Amoonguss either, it's basically the lesser of two evils in this situation (for me at least), so I'd pick Amoonguss.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I prefer Amoonguss vastly, but that's not surprising since it's one of my favourite Pokémon families haha. It is an absolutely adorable design and the concept of hiding in the background whilst waiting for trainers to walk past is, whilst very confusing, a very entertaining concept. It has some very interesting strategies and an incredibly wide move pool letting it utilize some very niche roles that very few other Pokémon could even attempt, so it's certainly a Pokémon that I enjoy putting to good use. As for Alomomola, that only thing I vaguely like about that bloated fish-thing is its name and I can't even pronounce that, so it's not very high up in my books. xD

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I prefer Amoonguss over Alomomola although I don't prefer using Grass-type Pokemon in any of my teams. Amoonguss is much more bulky, thus can withstand much more hits compared to Alomomola. It also has a wide movepool, thus utilizing moves such as Toxic and Protect with ease (I think). Although it is very slow, all the said above kinda makes up for it. And as for Alomomola, although it has a ton of HP, its defensive stats aren't as up there, thus defeating its purpose. I don't have much to say about this Pokemon, but my vote still goes to Amoonguss.

Pikapia

The One Who Will Destroy Everything
Years
I chose Amoonguss for various reasons:

Amoonguss looks like some Pokeballs, and I love Pokeballs. :P
Alomomola is a water type, and my main Pokemon is always a fire type, so I hate water types.
Amoonguss was shown in Pokemon BW: Rival Destinies, and I don't think Alomomola was (though I might not remember it, or seen the episode it's in yet :P) and I love that show. Along with the others, of course. :D

So Amoonguss rocks for me. ;)

Sirfetch’d

I went with Amoongus, well because I use one. It has a top notch movepool and is a great wall. Giga Drain can be very powerful even with little or no evs invested in SpAtk. Also I like Mushroom Pokemon.(see my ou team). Design: neither. Both are quite ugly if you ask me. Alomomola is ok, but really just looks like a Luvdisc on steroids. However Alomomola wins in one category-Its name. It is so fun to try and say.alomalomamolaolmaola

Back