The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

View Poll Results: Which do you pick??
16 34.78%
30 65.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Forever
let it go

Sup? This week we have a well-known core, and two NU mons that can both utilise Regenerator!

When comparing the two, I want you to also base it on which you'd use competitively, which do you think has the better chance, which you used in-game, which you like the design-of best, and what strategies you think one could use to beat the other. Each week these polls will continue until all combinations and tiers are used up (each Pokemon compared will be from the same competitive tier). To find out more about tiers, and how you can get the most out of these Pokemon, check out Battle Center. So which do you choose? Don't forget to post in the thread when voting in the poll, either!

Old November 15th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I went with Amoonguss cos it has better stats than Alomomola and a good support movepool. Amoonguss makes a great wall, with some good moves like Toxic and Rage Powder. It even has Spore, which is one of the best sleep moves ever, making it easy to catch Pokemon too.

Alomomola may look beautiful, but its stats didn't cut it for me (way too much focus on HP!) and its movepool isn't all that great AT ALL.

So, that's why I picked Amoonguss.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

loa: july 29 - august 12

Old November 15th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Ω & α... Join the Bandwagon!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Alomomola is, well quite frankly rubbish. No offence, but how is it not a Luvdisc evo? And then they try to be clever by making her name a palindrome! But statwise, Amoonguss is triumphant, and has way better move pool. It's designs better to. So yeah, Amoonguss wins for me!
Old November 16th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
I like them both, but Amoonguss was the obvious choice here. Spore in NU is really strong, the only hard counter to it that comes to mind is Sap Sipper Miltank since Sawsbuck fears Clear Smog/Sludge Bomb. Spore, combined with its immunity to Toxic/Leech Seed/ToxicSpikes makes it much more useful in my opinion.

I might be a bit bias though; I use Amoonguss on a lot of teams and haven't played around with Alomomola much as it seems gimmicky and is never a threat to me.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old November 16th, 2012, 05:22 AM
BLOOOD-La-ti-
This is the place to try!

Nature: Jolly
Amonguss is a lot better than Alomomola,and as hikari said way too much focus on hp.
Amonguss is just better than Alomomola.Spore in NU is almighty.
But then i thought i voted for amonguss but i accidentally voted for alomomola.

oh check this out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=373174
My new account. :3
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

I don't use either, but based on the reasons stated above (and my own experience fighting them) I'd say Amoonguss is the better battler. Spore gets big points, and I have a harder time knocking it out in battle than Alomomola (probably due to poison, sleep, etc.).

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old November 16th, 2012, 10:16 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
As ugly as Amoonguss is, I went with it simply because it's good at defending and crippling opponents with Spore. It also has the type advantage over Alomomola.

Old November 16th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

I really hate both of them. But I hate the fish a bit more when I am battleing it. So I'll go with the Mushroom.
Old November 16th, 2012, 12:02 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I couldn't help but give my vote to Amoonguss. It has just been to useful to me, being able to take some really strong hits, and then cripple opponents with Spore. It can even save other Pokemon by using Rage Powder. Alomomola isn't at all bad though, just no where near as good as Amoonguss.
Old November 16th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Alpha King
Man's Best Friend
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to Alpha King
I will join the crowd with Amoonguss. Despite the flack it gets for being ugly, I prefer its design to Alomomola. Plus, it has a better niche and better movepool.

Old November 16th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
Totally Amoonguss! I didn't even know about the ability "regenerator". I'm a fan of Amoonguss's "effect spore". Other than that, it's just a reliable pokemon with a decent move pool.

Wonder Trade!!!
Old November 17th, 2012, 04:32 AM
imevil
Biggest Scyther Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Alomola is meh. Decent stats but terrible out side of single battles. i aslo hate the design of it. It looks so odd. I love Ammongus though!
Emerald Second City Challenge- COMPLETE
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE WATER!
Fire Red (COMPLETE) -> Crystal (COMPLETE) -> Emerald (COMPLETE) -> Platinum(COMPLETE -> Black 2

Hunger Games Challenge- District 8: Ruby 2/8

Old November 17th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Forever
let it go

Hmm so while I was thinking Alomomola, generally Amoonguss is more use, and easier to find, whereas Alomomola is rarer and isn't overly that useful imo, soo... Amoonguss!
Old November 17th, 2012, 09:01 AM
RandomTrainerWhoCould
Yo

So I did have a lengthy post typed up on my iPod, but my goddamn iPod crashed.

Basically, Alomololola > Amoonguss because of better HP/defense, wishpassing, better typing, and Amoonguss is freaking ugly :]

Edit: no matter how good Amoonguss' movepool is, it will always be setup fodder with that meager SpA stat, it's like forretress in OU
Hax is supposed to happen. Scald has a 100% burn rate(willowisp w/ perfect accuracy); paralysis has a 75% chance of kicking in; Rock slide misses more than stone edge; Hustle= 50% more power at the cost of 100% accuracy.
I get haxed a lot and the hax gods who are the gods of hax hate me I'm sad :[

Last edited by RandomTrainerWhoCould; November 17th, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old November 17th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Voting for Amoongus. He has a straightforward yet worthwhile strategy. I have much love for Spore, Regenerator, and boosted Giga Drain this gen. While I can appreciate Alomomola's massive HP stat, I consider a Pokemon to be quite uninteresting if it has to run Protect and Toxic. That just screams mediocrity in movepool.

As for appearances, I like the concept behind the Foongus family. Alomomola leaves a bad taste in my mouth because it's very similar to Luvdisc. I would also use Amoongus in-game over Alomomola because 1) accessibility and 2) there are more interesting water types, like Samurott and Jellicent.
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zupplu View Post
Alomomola is, well quite frankly rubbish. No offence, but how is it not a Luvdisc evo? And then they try to be clever by making her name a palindrome! But statwise, Amoonguss is triumphant, and has way better move pool. It's designs better to. So yeah, Amoonguss wins for me!
This is basically the exact same way I feel about Alomomola, especially the evolution part. While I'm not that big a fan of Amoonguss either, it's basically the lesser of two evils in this situation (for me at least), so I'd pick Amoonguss.
Old November 18th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I prefer Amoonguss vastly, but that's not surprising since it's one of my favourite Pokémon families haha. It is an absolutely adorable design and the concept of hiding in the background whilst waiting for trainers to walk past is, whilst very confusing, a very entertaining concept. It has some very interesting strategies and an incredibly wide move pool letting it utilize some very niche roles that very few other Pokémon could even attempt, so it's certainly a Pokémon that I enjoy putting to good use. As for Alomomola, that only thing I vaguely like about that bloated fish-thing is its name and I can't even pronounce that, so it's not very high up in my books. xD
Old November 18th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Autumn Reverie
wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

Nature: Modest
I prefer Amoonguss over Alomomola although I don't prefer using Grass-type Pokemon in any of my teams. Amoonguss is much more bulky, thus can withstand much more hits compared to Alomomola. It also has a wide movepool, thus utilizing moves such as Toxic and Protect with ease (I think). Although it is very slow, all the said above kinda makes up for it. And as for Alomomola, although it has a ton of HP, its defensive stats aren't as up there, thus defeating its purpose. I don't have much to say about this Pokemon, but my vote still goes to Amoonguss.

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old November 19th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Pikapia
The One Who Will Destroy Everything

Nature: Jolly
I chose Amoonguss for various reasons:

Amoonguss looks like some Pokeballs, and I love Pokeballs.
Alomomola is a water type, and my main Pokemon is always a fire type, so I hate water types.
Amoonguss was shown in Pokemon BW: Rival Destinies, and I don't think Alomomola was (though I might not remember it, or seen the episode it's in yet ) and I love that show. Along with the others, of course. :D

So Amoonguss rocks for me.
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Castform

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
I went with Amoongus, well because I use one. It has a top notch movepool and is a great wall. Giga Drain can be very powerful even with little or no evs invested in SpAtk. Also I like Mushroom Pokemon.(see my ou team). Design: neither. Both are quite ugly if you ask me. Alomomola is ok, but really just looks like a Luvdisc on steroids. However Alomomola wins in one category-Its name. It is so fun to try and say.alomalomamolaolmaola
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:32 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
I live Alomomola. Even if it does not relate to Luvdisc. Amoongus is just another Grass/Poison type. Almost ALL grass pokemon from kanto were poison type.

So, my vote is for the floppy friendly fish.
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:55 PM
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More

For competitive battle I say Amoongus wins for me due to 1, its poison type not only providing it utility in removing toxic spikes and immunity to poison and 2. Its abillity to be a mixed wall as well as a general supportive threat in many different scenarios. Although alomomola does also due its job vary well and survive in certain situations where ammoongus cant, I have had had more overall success with amoongus overall. However in the upper tiers(such as OU), I think believe neither of them can function at full potential due to prominent threats such as Tornadus-T, Thunderus-T, Rotom-W(to lazy to think of more atm) that can make their presence on your team, a liability and/or short lived. Also being generally outclassed in defensive roles doesnt help either. On the flip side, being able to halt certain physical attackers such as Landorus/Land T, Terrakion, Scizor, Mamoswine(alomomola), and Breloom(Amoongus) make them very valuable in those situations.

As for in game usage it could go either way really. I like that they are both very capable defensive pokemon and can prove extreemly handy in many scenarios in-game as well as being fun to use.

Lastly, Amoongus obviously has the advantage versus eachother due to being resistant to water, immune to toxic, and the obvious STAB super effective giga drain ftw gives it to Amoongus.
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM
enigmα.
phantom bullet
Community Supporter

Hmm, Amoonguss for me. I've been battlign a few Amoonguss's these days & it's been toying around with me. With Spore & everything, it's definitely one of my picks now.

Alomomola has it's focus on HP & it's other stats are not too great, just like Synerjee said, defeating it's purpose. It's movepool is of no use to me too so meh.

My vote goes to Amoonguss .

sword art online II
phantom bullet

• vm . pm - feel free to contact me
  • server - chat and battle
  • blog - random thoughts and stuff
  • rmt collection - pkmn team collection
css by enigmα.

Old November 20th, 2012, 07:28 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
I'm going to be one of the few to vote for Alomomola. Even though Amoongus is a cooler looking pokemon, and I prefer grass types... alomomolas are just INCREDIBLY bulky. Whenever I've used one it's been awesome with wish, toxic and protect. And whenever I've had to face one it's been a real pain. I haven't really fought many Amoonguses so i guess it's a little unfair, but that's just how I stand as of right now. Also, while it does have pretty much one set, I think that's okay. If it fills the niche, and does a good job at it, then what more could I want/ And it does a great job from what I've seen.
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:50 AM
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful
Amoonguss of course. It does have better moves and that its very bulky when I've been battling it. Its Rage Powder and Spore makes it more tricky. Its other moves like Giga Drain and Clear Smog is very good.

Sponsored Links