Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials
Reload this Page [Question] How to learn to Program in RMXP?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Old November 19th, 2012 (12:36 PM).
Redhead :P

How would I begin? I want basic and easy to follow tutorials, as I am 15.

Thanks guys!

Thanks
Old November 19th, 2012 (01:35 PM).
Lilligant's Caretaker

Nature: Careful
Someone on here (dkgah) referred me to this site before: http://www.codeschool.com/courses

Hope that helps. I never had time to finish it myself so I can't comment on how good it is. Good luck!

Old November 19th, 2012 (04:49 PM).
One Truth Prevails

Nature: Relaxed
Do you prefer tutorials that you can read or watch? The best advice I could give you is to look around, try out different tutorials, and see what works for you.
Old November 20th, 2012 (06:00 PM).

If you have no or negligible knowledge, I'd advise looking up some basic programming tutorials first, as general as you can find. Things like the paradigms, code structure, if/else statements, variables, loops, etc. Then once you have an idea of what programming is about, see the next paragraph. You could probably use the ones at the C++ reference; even though the language is different, the same principles apply for pretty much every language.

If you have any knowledge of programming at all, I'd advise taking a peek into the Trainer Card script, learning what things in there do, and then work on modifying it. The best way to learn something is to do it. I don't claim to be anything even resembling skilled, but I managed to overhaul my own Trainer Card and also create a simple starter selection screen based on it just by tampering with the code.

Oh, and most importantly, have A LOT of patience. It will take a long time and require a lot of effort to become a Maruno at coding. Don't expect to be creating your own battles system any time soon. Start small. Good luck, broseph.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links