The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:50 PM
smurf
Veteran Trainer

alright guys i was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way i did anout the new gym leaders. Honestly i think there horrible now not the fact that i dont like the gym leaders or there personality's but they just were not what i though they would be like. when i think of a gym leader i think of tough trainers but i had a harder time beating some wild pokemon then i did the new Leaders so guys give me your opinion on what you think of the new leaders and there pokemon.

Old October 30th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Castform

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
I do LOVE the new leaders. How can anyone hate them?

Last edited by Jellicent♀; November 15th, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old October 30th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Syltti
Lilligant's Loving Trainer

Nature: Calm
I was surprised to see Cheren as a Gym Leader. Didn't even recognize him the first time I saw the animated trailer. As far as difficulty goes with Cheren and Roxie, I had little to none due to my having a Riolu, and a Lucario just before fighting Roxie, so those battles were easy. Marlon.. I started with Snivy, and also had a Lilligant, so he was a joke.

I liked all three, personally, because they (Cheren and Marlon, mostly) get a nice deal of screen time outside of their Gyms.

FC - 4012-4737-6781
Y Battle Record: [0 Win(s) - 1 Loss(es) - 0 Tie(s)] - Latest Battle Video: N/A
"Ryana.. She's a Necromancer. Hers, however, uses a very peculiar system and grants her amazing abilities that no other necromancer has managed to replicate. Necromancers can control zombies, skeletons, and ghasts; Ryana specializes in zombies, but has a secondary handle on skeletons. People see Necromancers as horrible abominations. Ryana is nothing of the sort. It would take less than a day for anyone to realize that."

Fuyou Ayame - Elven Alchemist. Loving Mother. Royal Guardian.
Old October 30th, 2012, 04:13 PM
rizoph
Mime Jr.

Nature: Mild
I had little to no trouble, but that's probably because I used a legendary from a mystery gift.

Join tsukinohito.com/temp_forum
Old October 30th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Sverige
#justiceforbionic 11.11.13

I really liked the water gym and the leader. Not fussed at all about Cheren, however.
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
I didn't like Cheren as a Gym Leader.
I thought he would at least be the 8th Gym Leader.
In BW 1 he was soooo close to being champion.
And now, he's got level ten pokémon and teaches. ._.
What the heck, Cheren? What? The? HEEECK?
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
I don't have a problem with the new Gym Leaders or their personalities. We can criticize their battle prowess but look at were they are in the point of game you are at. Cheren is literally in your home town. I don't think a player has ever been able to fast a Gym leader as soon as you faced Cheren. Also for Cheren it seems he was "given" the pokemon or didn't have them very long. He mentions if he had his other team it would be a cake walk or something to that extent. So he is/was limited to pokemon he just obtained, so I'd cut him some slack cause by PWT time he seems to at least have an adequate team vs. Plasma for what he was given. Roxie is the second leader so she isn't that strong for me either especially considering pokemon available at Virbrank Complex and access to Riolu early on(same applies to Cheren in this case). So if you say there are easy then don't use Fighting or Steel on respective gyms. Marlon is okay as well so I don't see an issue with him, he is just as good as Wallace/Juan who I thought were "okay" . If you want to gauge the ability on the leaders then just face them in PWT for Leader or Type expert rounds.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old October 31st, 2012, 04:15 AM
morrison

Nature: Quiet
I think the first half of Gym leaders were pretty hard to beat- well seeing the team I had (plant 2*water, 2*electro 1 flying)

Pokemon Hardmode Sapphire Comic
starts as b/w but turns colourful a couple of pages later
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:30 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I really like them, particularly Roxie. They seem different to the average Gym Leaders.. I don't know how but there's something about them that I like.

Old October 31st, 2012, 07:51 AM
Syltti
Lilligant's Loving Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
Considering Cheren changed his outlook in BW, kinda makes sense that he'd become a teacher.

FC - 4012-4737-6781
Y Battle Record: [0 Win(s) - 1 Loss(es) - 0 Tie(s)] - Latest Battle Video: N/A
"Ryana.. She's a Necromancer. Hers, however, uses a very peculiar system and grants her amazing abilities that no other necromancer has managed to replicate. Necromancers can control zombies, skeletons, and ghasts; Ryana specializes in zombies, but has a secondary handle on skeletons. People see Necromancers as horrible abominations. Ryana is nothing of the sort. It would take less than a day for anyone to realize that."

Fuyou Ayame - Elven Alchemist. Loving Mother. Royal Guardian.
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:51 AM
Charicific
PkMn Trainer

Nature: Modest
Well, I chose Snivy as my starter, and I gotta say, I was literary screwed in the first 3 gyms. Cheren Work Up and bulky Pokemons are immune to my weak Snivy's Attacks...even with using Growth. Roxie was much more terrible to face, if it wasn't for the Growlithe I caught the the Virbank Complex, I wouldn't have progressed at all.
As for Marlon, he was fairly easy, probably due to advantage. Nevertheless, I totally love those new Gym Leaders. I won't talk about strength here, since it depends on how you directed your own game. I loved each and everyone's Gym and liked battling them as well.

Did you choose Tepig as your starter? :3
Old October 31st, 2012, 09:04 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
It was an interesting twist to see Cheren become a Gym Leader. I was okay with Roxie and Marlon replacing the Striaton triplets and Lenora, though. Roxie's secondary occupation is very interesting too, and I also like how Cheren helps you throughout the game.

Old October 31st, 2012, 10:12 AM
Correspondence

The new Gym leaders were definitely different from the others.Roxie is definitely my favorite and it was good to see Cheren as a Gym leader.Marlon's accent was a bit hard to get used to though.
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:43 AM
morrison

In the German version the wild west guy(is this Marlon can't remember) doesn't have an accent. Only person with an accent in the game is in the pokewood studios one of the females has an english accent :lol:

Old October 31st, 2012, 10:59 AM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
He mentions at some point in the game about battling with his 'real' team, I don't think it was worded like that but it was implied he still had his original team from Black and White. Given that he's a new leader, it makes sense that he'd start off as the first gym. And frankly I found him difficult. His freaking Lillipup u_u

I really liked the leaders, though. Roxie had a really cool personality, she was very level-headed. And Marlon's just... Marlon, lol.

I loved the gym redesigns too. Detested Clay's, that was so annoying, but gyms that stick out that I particularly enjoyed were Roxie's, Burgh's, Elesa's, Drayden's, and Marlon's.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old October 31st, 2012, 11:20 AM
chella182
Drowzee

Nature: Rash
Cheren: Easy with my Riolu
Roxie: Slightly more challenging with the Poisoning thing, however I had a Magnemite, so it wasn't too strenuous
Marlon: I thought he was going to be a bit of a nightmare with that Jellicent, but nah, Virizion knocked out his Carracosta quickly, Ampharos took down Wailord in 1 hit, and Ampharos took down Jellicent in two hits, after having Discharge disabled.

So in terms of "easiness", they were all easy, however I haven't struggled with any of the gyms 'cause I usually go in levelled up to two levels higher than their highest levelled Pokémon.

In terms of design and personality, I love Roxie and Marlon. Cheren still kind of bores me a bit though.

Old November 1st, 2012, 03:05 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Well he has his team on Route 5 if you activate Memory Link =)

On topic... I like new leaders because I LOVE Homika :D
On terms of easiness... I have never thought that Gym Leaders were hard and it did not change...
Not to mention we had access to Riolu/Lucario. No point arguing, that was the key :D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:24 AM
morrison

I don't like Riolu so I didnt have him.

Old November 1st, 2012, 11:32 AM
WeGotTheJazz
Unhatched Egg

I'll agree that none of the gym leaders really had any personality. The gym designs more than made up for them though! Seriously, best gyms of the series bar none.
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:38 AM
mysticflower
Parasol Lady Madeleine

Nature: Timid
Usually I find gym leaders don't have much personality, but I love Roxie, and they seem to have built on Elesa's character more too. I have never been so attached to a gym leader as Roxie!

I was surprised that Cheren was the first gym leader as I thought he would be one of the later ones, but it was fun feeling like you were facing a gym early on due to it being in your home town.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:17 AM
Destructor
Unhatched Egg

Cheren should have been at least in the E4
I love Roxie
I love Marlon, I love his personality and his gym.

Team wise
Cheren having Lillipup and Patrat sickens me as that's the same team as the other two trainers. The addition of Pidove is tolerable

Roxie having Koffing and Whirlipede is fine. I love them both. The addition of Grimer is lovely and I say blah to the people who think it should be Trubbish.

Marlon I'm saddened by. Wailord doesn't seem last gymish, and Mantine as the added Pokemon is horrid. I really would prefer seeing Starmie and Vaporeon used instead.

Time outside gym is lovely. They all get it, especially Cheren and I'm glad because of that.
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Forever
let it go

Yeah they were pretty easy tbh, with Marlon being the easiest. I didn't mind though, I just wanted the exp and I overgrinded anyway. :x Marlon as a character was quite strange though lmao.
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:51 PM
ChaosZX
Unhatched Egg

It's simple, don't power level.
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:18 AM
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
When I first saw Cheren as a gym leader, that was a smack in the face for me. I like that he is a gym leader because it shows that a trainer that begun his journey as a Pokemon trainer can work really hard and in a few years he can become a gym leader. The only problem I have with him is the fact that he was an excellent rival and he becomes the weakest gym leader in Unova--kind of an insult if you ask me. Roxie, I actually like her design and the fact that she has a Koffing (which she obviously caught South from Virbank City), the only problem I had with her was the same annoying song that was playing in her gym over and over again. Marlon was an okay gym leader; he was too easy in my opinion maybe because of the fact that I had an Amphros and I kept spamming Thunderbolt on his Pokemon.

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:45 PM
SilverAbsol
Absol's Shadow

Nature: Timid
I found Marlon to be quite disappointing as the final stepping stone towards the Elite 4. Drayden to me proved much more of a challenge than Marlon did, and I didn't really train up much after beating Drayden and I breezed through Marlon.
He seems popular around here though, but to me he was just a huge disappointment of a character.

I would have prefered if they had let Cheren take the last Gym Leader slot, would have made more sense in my mind.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links