The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 15th, 2012, 05:51 PM
abnegation
proudly paired with adventure
Community Supporter

Advertise here
There's many games that take old games for cash or trade-in value. Even for more cash than your average current generation game! So for games dating back to the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, would you sell them back to a shop now for the same price that you bought them for (or near enough), or do you prefer to hold onto them for archival and collection purposes?

the internet is full of people who refuse to be nice to others
because they feel that this makes them superior
that's lame
Old November 16th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Zapperz
colour swapper!

Nature: Jolly
id rather keep my old games, mostly for nostalgia. perhaps might consider selling it to someone when ive got an eye-catching offer. preferably more than what ive paid for.
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:27 AM
holdmykidney
Riddled with pokerus

Nature: Naughty
I do tend to hoard, out of nostalgia, but recently I've found that nearly three decades of collecting games has meant that I need to be selective about the games I keep.

It's not so much the really old games; I have Spectrum and Amiga game boxes which I love and cherish like museum pieces. The ones that cause the most problem for me are PS1, PS2 and DS games.

They're not generally old enough to have real collectable value yet, either. I often think if I'm only going to get 50p or £1 for selling them on I may as well keep hold of them. If I do trade them it's usually just to make space.

I've held on to many of them in the belief that I will replay them at some point, but realistically I have as-yet-unplayed games on my shelf, so when are old titles going to get a second look?

Having said that I did dig Vib Ribbon out for the first time in about 7 years. It's still mad and great!
Old November 16th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Hikamaru
the hamster
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I would never sell my games since I need my fix of nostalgia.

Not to mention some of my faves were ones I played during my childhood, so again, nostalgia reasons.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | credit | supporter

Old November 16th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Mr. Magius
  
Community Supporter Tier 5

I would sell the ones I never played or didn't like. I'm keeping all of my Pokémon games and whatnot, for example.
Old November 16th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I am made to to give my old games to my nephew as someone thinks selling them is bad idea. So I haven't got a choice on selling them or not.
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:19 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I would sell the games I didn't play alot or the ones that I didn't like at all.
But besides that, I would keep the games I enjoyed as a kid. Since I need my share of nostalgia once in a while.
Old November 16th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
All my old games were given away along with the system to younger relatives. The oldest games in my collection now are GameCube ones, as well as Leaf Green. Don't have anything older than that.

Now, if I did have my old games still, it would honestly depend on how much I liked playing them or whether I could make a killing on selling them. Nostalgia goes by the wayside when I can get $500 for something I paid $30 or $40 when it first came out - unless I really, really enjoyed said "collector's item" game.

I am known to sell games that I didn't enjoy playing.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old November 17th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

I always keep my older games and consoles. Often if I rid of them I get seller's remorse, and wind up rebuying the game, and it might turn into a cycle of repurchasing and reselling again and again.
Old November 17th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Icy Burn
Beginner Breeder | Kyurem W <3

I would wait until I was 50, then sell them all. They'd be legendary then.
Old November 17th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Tetrakeet
Lilligant's Caretaker

Nature: Careful
Each game I have is a memory, so I keep them all. Getting rid of a game is like losing a (good) piece of my past. I can pick any game and instantly go back to that time and the age I was at that time, and relive memories from that time period. I love having my old games for that reason! Luckily for me that they are small and easy to store, or I'd have a problem. ;

Old November 17th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

There have been certain times where I've sold some of my old games, either because I wasn't a particularly big fan of the game or it something like a FIFA, where I had the newer version and didn't need the old one. Other times, though, I have held on to some of my older games, even if I don't play them anymore. I rarely find myself going back to try them, but I guess it's always good to have that option down the road.
Old November 17th, 2012, 11:09 PM
bojjenclon
I fail, like, a lot

Nature: Lax
It definitely depends on the game. Some of my favorites will stay with me either forever or until I lose them; even if I never play them again. Looking through my game drawer and seeing a classic like Tales of Symphonia or Okami brings back all kinds of great memories. Those memories are worth way more than the mediocre payment I'd receive for trading them in. Now, if the game sucked, that's another story entirely...
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Juicy
Bone to be wild!

I've sold many games that I wish I had kept. Nowadays, if I enjoy the game I will hold onto it. If I don't enjoy it then I'll still hold onto it, but more out of laziness and it not being worth much if I chose to sell it.
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Fenrir Reki
Guardian of Destruction

Nature: Calm
I would never want to sell my old games, mainly because at some point I would want to go back and play them. I already made the mistake once by selling every single one of my DS, PS2, Wii, and Gamecube games, and even though I got an enormous amount of money from it, I regret selling those games because I had some amazing games in that collection.

(Working on a better signature + avy)

Old November 19th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
I'm definitely a video game hoarder, I still have my very first GBC game. And all games that I haven't lost up to now.

I would definitely still be playing my SNES if my cat hadn't chewed up the wires for it :(
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Nearsighted king of Ice
We'll get to that tomorrow

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Nearsighted king of Ice Send a message via Yahoo to Nearsighted king of Ice
I'd rather not sell my old games, in fact the only game I owned that I sold was "Naruto ninja council 4" and that's because I was scrapped for cash

Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?

Black FC: 1592-5761-9212
Pokemon X FC: 2921-9174-9000
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:02 PM
Denny Hamlin
accept d e f e a t

Nature: Brave
I have a few N64 and Xbox (the FIRST xbox) games laying around my closet somewhere, but I would rather keep them for collection purposes rather than to sell. I always thought they wouldn't be worth that much, so keeping them would be essential. \o/

Sometime in the future I'll have a storage space and store my games in there. :D
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:10 PM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
I never sell games. I don't sell a game unless I absolutely didn't like it, it has no nostalgic value to me, and I would never play it again. Replay value is important to me, so I like to have hard copies of games and be able to play multiple times. I'm also a bit of a collector. Not a hardcore collector, but I like to have things, especially when later in life, most people no longer have it and I'm still sitting here holding on to it. Lately I've gotten into boxes and manuals, and it kills me that I lost all my N64 manuals (threw the boxes away, dumb kid) during some moves when I was younger.

As for consoles, I never sell consoles. Those are the main hub to play the good and bad games. Why would you EVER get rid of that? Even crap like the Atari Jaguar and the 3DO that you probably wouldn't wanna play...just to say "hey I have a 3DO remember that ****?" would be awesome for a nerd like me. Not gonna go out and buy one, but my point still stands. Selling games is more understandable than selling the whole console, though.

Besides, I've got kids and grandkids to educate in the far future. You can't do it properly without an N64!
Old November 22nd, 2012, 02:32 AM
Alinthea
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I, most likely, wouldn't. I do have a couple of old games from the 90's, but I doubt they will reach anything of huge value on the resale market.

Unless it is a very rare and would fetch a lot of money, I wouldn't sell it. :3
Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:59 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
My Pokemon games I will never sell them, what if I want to play them later, again. Most of my other games, Sell or trade, I don't mind, (in my opinion) they aren't as important as my PokeGames.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenge -
Random Challenge - Badges: 4/8 - game: X - Location: Coumarine City
50/50 Challenge - Badges 1/8 - Game Y - Location: Route 4
Old November 23rd, 2012, 01:21 AM
Serene Grace
ニャース

Nature: Relaxed
I really don't sell any of my video games, to be honest. It's kind of a personal unspoken rule for myself. I only buy games that I know I will enjoy and then I like to keep all of them as a personal collection. It's a bit weird actually seeing as some games that I own still have a high trade-in value, but I still don't sell them. It's actually the same deal with my consoles.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:49 AM
Catalyst.
Nothing of significance

I don't really like selling my old games - I have so many DS games it's almost a collection, so it'd be a shame to sell any imo. For other systems I might trade in stuff I never play or only play occaisionally, but usully I just keep everything. :3
Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:06 AM
Yellow Silver Nostalgia
Those Were The Days

I'm very brutal with my clearouts, so no, they're in a scrap heap along with my Gameboy Colour and N64.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
Pryze
Moonwel ot cosidme

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Pryze
No, I would never sell any of my old games, even if I don't enjoy them. I still have my old 64, Dreamcast, NES, and SNES games.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here