• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[Developing] MAO - Monster Academy Online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 15, 2024
Right, hopefully some of you will recognize this game! You might know me as Kyle-Dove from deviantArt.

A few years back, I was working on an MMO (Massive multiplayer online) with a really talented programmer called Dodotrainer.
Unfortunately he gradually stopped emailing me so I had to cancel the game. Before he disappeared, I asked him for the source code.

I would like to continue this game so I am looking for programmers. I'm not sure what the coding language is but I think it's...

Programming language: Flash Actionscript 3?

Introduction:
Originally, I started work on this project because I was creating a region with a group of friends and I wanted a place to get together and play with the pokemon we designed. I wanted somewhere to hang out, play, compete and just log on and have adventures in.
The visual style of the game is based on complete custom graphics created by me, and there are also no official pokemon or references to the pokemon franchise to avoid being sued.

It's set in a fictional region called Atlas, due to the massive size it will eventually grow to. There are no linear routes but you can go north, south, west, east whichever way you want. Obviously some areas might contain really tough monsters so you'd want to avoid them til later.
It works in your browser so there's no need to download anything. The idea was to gradually add monsters and map to it whilst the game is out, with no limited number of monsters instead we're celebrating variety.

Monster Dex
For a sample of the dex you can see the following location: http://mmoworld.pbworks.com/w/page/61006245/Dream Dex

Plot:
As it's an mmo there's not much of a plot. At the beginning you will be introduced the monster academy, where your journey begins.
After a couple of days tutorials from your teachers to introduce you to the game and how it works, you are sent out into the world to spread the good name of the Academy by the principal. You science teacher gives you a choice of a starter, your geography teacher your map, etc etc.

Now you have a pokemon, you are free to explore and go into the wild and battle and train your pokemon. There will be a gym leader for each type (so 16 gym leaders in all) and an E4. Throughout your journeys you begin to hear rumours that the Academy is not as good as it pretends to be, but you don't know how true this is...

Your purpose is this: To travel and explore the region and fill your pokedex with many different pokemon. To visit every gym and defeat each gym leader, and master all the types. To make friends, trade and battle your way to the top.

Current features that were working but not at the moment cos it's not on a serve;r
Online play and chat - you can see the other players
PvP battles nearly bug-free
PvP trading nearly bug-free (includes trading multiple items, and giving monsters/items in exchange for nothing)
Can see list of players currently online.

Current features working:
Catch, battle, train, level up, evolve monsters.
Type effectiveness.
Nickname monsters.
Status conditions (a bit buggy).
Monsters have probability of dropping an item. (currently broken)
Quest system (ie. NPC wants 100 feathers and gives you something in return)
Berries.
Monster box storage system fully works.
Capture can miss with probability depending on the health.
Can run away from battles.
Day and night system implemented.
Buying and selling items. (broken at the moment!!)
Being able to move team order freely.
Team is on screen at all times, health and status updated.
NPC battles and talk.
Scrolling maps.
Animated interface and editing tools.

Aspirational features:
Customize your character with different outfits.
Craft different items.
You'd be able to find eggs in the wild in nests.

Screenshots:
Please bear in mind that these screenshots are like...3 years old! My tiles and sprites are MUCH improved since then! These screenshots are no indication of what the game would be like but I'm required to post some.
mao1.png

MAO2.png

MAO3.png

MAO4.png

MAO5.png

MAO6.png

MAO7.png

MAO8.png

MAO9.png

Current graphics I would add:
latest_battle_backgrounds_by_kymotonian-d48n22n.png

Farmlands_by_Kymotonian.png

Credits:
All code was done by DodoTrainer
All sprites and graphics were done by me.
The monsters have credits by their names.

If you can help please let me know. It's my dream to get this game up and running properly! The way it worked before was wonderful and a lot of the main engine was actually complete - it's just missing the content. Even if I could get it up on the internet to be able to play with my friends like before I would really appreciate it. I'm desparate to at least update the maps and pokemon sprites!

Last edited:

Hourglasshero

General Concepts' Designer
Years
Cheering for the lord of pixels!
I hope you find that programmer of yours... :)

I love the battle sceneries... especially that savannah looking one.... They are so realistic but anime-like at the same time...

Question about the OW... have you updated them cause u mentioned that they were old, or is it still like that?

In both cases i am perfectly fine with it...
Keep up the great work!

Years
  • Seen Mar 15, 2024
Havent updated them yet cos I've had no cause to but I will do if the project picks up again of course! Thanks a lot Hari!

tylerab01

Pokemon AquaHarmony
Years
This almost looks like it was made in Eclipse, which I believe is using Ruby/RGSS. If so I might be able to help.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
hey kyle, glad to see this project back again although it seems like it's in kind of a mess right now. hope you find a good programmer that can get the whole deal back on track. this project seemed very promising back then and it still does now. you've got a lot of skill and great ideas and i hope you can make it work! i'd love to help betatest once you've got something running!

if actionscript 3 isn't working out for you and/or you can't find a programmer for that, you might consider switching to a different engine. html5 maybe? this is your chance to do so, since you're in-between scripters but you have a lot of resources (HUD, overworld tiles, Fakemon, etc.) that can be reused easily.

it would have been nice to see some more progress before you recreated the thread, but i guess now is as good of a time as any to make a bid for programmers. good luck!

Years
  • Seen Mar 15, 2024
Well I can't really make more progress without a programmer...thanks for the support though. I have a lot of new tiles and pokemon to add to the game, there's all the battle backgrounds, but I can't even switch a battle background. If you read all of the current features a lot of the engine is actually in place so I dont think it would make sense to switch to a different one...Trouble is a lot of the coding is done from scratch so I dont know if others would understand how to continue it.

saison

Black Knight of Dusk
Years
This looks most professionally done, and I would love someone to take over. It seems like a great project when it was up and working, and I only hold this in high regard for it's near future ^-^

Years
I'll be that programmer you need, although if it is Flash it will take me a while to get used to it (I haven't done flash in a year or two)

EDIT:

If you want, I could change this to use my Java Pokemon Engine, which can support multiplayer.

Upsides of converting:

I already know what to do here.
I am working on an editor for it which will make the creation go faster and easier.
It supports Open GL/AL/CL which are some pretty useful things (ported through LWGJL)

Downsides of converting:

You will need to re-create the maps/events/ect. (excluding audio/graphical resources)

The downside can be removed however if I create a loader for the maps/events/ect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back