• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Watchog VS Liepard (NU Matchup #3)

Which do you choooooose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Sup? This week we have... two Pokemon that don't really attack that much without the aid of status (Liepard makes use of Swagger in competitive, and idr what Watchog does but in-game it used Hypnosis a lot!)

When comparing the two, I want you to also base it on which you'd use competitively, which do you think has the better chance, which you used in-game, which you like the design-of best, and what strategies you think one could use to beat the other. Each week these polls will continue until all combinations and tiers are used up (each Pokemon compared will be from the same competitive tier). To find out more about tiers, and how you can get the most out of these Pokemon, check out Battle Center. So which do you choose? Don't forget to post in the thread when voting in the poll, either!

KrJPB.png
6219A.png
16xfX.png

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Liepard definitely. I find them a more formidable opponent, and Watchog is annoying!!

Years
I picked Watchog cos it has a better movepool than Liepard and also Watchog can learn some helpful status moves like Thunder Wave and Hypnosis.

Also, I hated Liepard cos too much of its stats focus on Speed. Watchog is at least more balanced, being a Normal-type and all.

Pinta77

Ugh I hate both these pokemon... Personally though, I'd rather use hypnosis over swagger. And I hate Liepard just a little more, so I'm going with watchhog.

Pryze

Straight chillin
Years
Liepard is the obvious choice for me. As I see it, Watchog is almost completely outclassed by things like Kangaskhan, Tauros, and even Zangoose, all of which can abuse their respective abilities, are able to deal/take hits better, ect ect. At least Liepard has Prankster on it's side.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I honestly hate them both, but if I had to choose between them I'd go with Watchog just because its design is relatively cuter than Liepard's. Neither of them are Pokémon I'd consider using in battle because, well, they're just plain not good haha, but I suppose Watchog does have some more interesting strategies to play around with than Liepard so it takes the win for me. Also Dark types are scary :(

Years
I tried using both Patrat and Purrloin early on in my game on White, but neither of them ended up being that useful to me, and were boxed early in my journey. That being said, I did slightly prefer Purrloin (and in turn, Liepard), mostly because I preferred it's type and design. While Watchog has a slightly better movepool, it still isn't good enough that I'd ever try using one on my team, so I'll have to pick Liepard.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I'm not a huge fan of either. Both pre-evolutions have a strong point:

- Purrloin is immune to Psychic types, which could prove it semi-useful if taken to the E4 against the Psychic user
- Patrat can have Pickup

Pickup is lost upon evolution, however, unlike other Pickup users. Therefore, Patrat's potential usefulness drops to a fraction, if anything. Purrloin wins. Liepard gets the vote.

Cyclone

dragonnathan025

Pokemon Breeder
Years
Well, against the Psychic user in the Elite 4, I'd much rather use Krookodile, since it can deal loads more damage, plus can take out a lot more than Liepard.

Watchog does have Hypnosis and Hyper Fang, which make it decent, but Liepard is a Dark-type Pokemon. So... Liepard as my vote.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm not a huge fan of either. Both pre-evolutions have a strong point:

- Purrloin is immune to Psychic types, which could prove it semi-useful if taken to the E4 against the Psychic user
- Patrat can have Pickup

Pickup is lost upon evolution, however, unlike other Pickup users. Therefore, Patrat's potential usefulness drops to a fraction, if anything. Purrloin wins. Liepard gets the vote.

Cyclone

@ Purrloin point: Except that not everything runs just psychic and I'm p sure Gothitelle would outspeed. :x

I voted for Liepard btw, because I have had experienced being annoyed by it n____n;

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Hey, I never said I'd use Liepard in the E4. Just that it's more useful than, say, Patrat. :D

Cyclone

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I tried both in game and they felt like a waste of time. I voted for Liepard simply because it has Prankster and can make good use of it.

I love Watchogs design, though! It's a shame it's awful.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I dislike both Pokemon in-game. Liepard is too frail to be of much use while Watchog looks....freaky..with its huge red eyes and stiff, straight tail. Urkk. >< But if I had to choose between the two, I guess I would choose Liepard, simply because Dark-types are awesome.

Back