• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Remove character restriction from some sub-categories

ahmet476

standing around
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
I have two suggestions.

1. Posting in some categories don't increase your post count. I suggest removing minimum character restriction from those places. I hate needing to re-post/add something to achieve that minimum limit while playing forum games.

2. In ROM hacking and Game Development forums, make a sub-forum/category for 100% completed playable games. Right now, those forums are very confusing, especially many people leave their projects right in the middle or some completed ones disappear from first page because of people starting new projects all the time and probably never finishing it.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I like both of these ideas. I honestly never understood why the 25/4 rule was enforced so heavily in the Other Trivia section (that's the one you mean, right?) when the posts there don't require generation of any sort of discussion and I know I've personally had trouble before with finding completed ROM hacks. Fortunately I have the section's mods on Msn to help me with that though. d:

One thing though: I imagine the new ROM section would be a bit empty, honestly. Further to that the whole of Emulation is a busy place with many subforums already. I'm not certain that adding a new section which wouldn't have many threads in it anyway would be a great idea. It's a nice idea but in reality... idk. I'd like to get giradialkia and Dr. Fuji's opinions on this first.

Last edited:
Years
It's been raised in the past, but I don't really think a subforum like that would work with Emulation. A lot of hacks in the Sideshow Showcase are already completed (obviously due to the types of hacks they are). In the case of Progressing Hacks and the Hacks Showcase, members can just look back at some old pages; I don't see it as a big deal. Looking at the first post of a thread is enough to judge whether the hack is completed or not, and so I don't really think it's a HUGE inconvenience for people to have to do that.

I agree with the first idea pretty much for the reasons you gave; I can see how removing the character limit in certain forums would make sense. :)

ahmet476

standing around
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
Yes, I mean the Other Trivia and if any other sub-forum matches my description.

Yes, [Complete] prefix would help a lot. Another idea would be a thread run by a mod to keep track of completed ones and list them. It's not only hacks. Under "Game Development" there are games made from scratch (non-hacks). Their just my ideas of course, you guys will decide it.

Years
I agree with removing the 4/24 from Other Trivia.

ROM Hacking will get an overhaul sometime in the near future that will make it much easier to find completed hacks and make a subforum unnecessary.

You forgot Pokemon Trivia. It's basically Other Trivia with Pokemon stuff.

But yeah, I'm glad these changes will make a difference, especially the ROM Hacking boards since we have loads of budding hackers joining every day.

And speaking of the 4/25 rule, I think it should be removed from picture comments next since I have been commenting on users' pictures in their albums and inserting filler text wasted time for me.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
As long as we don't remove the four word rule from my forums I don't care about the 25 character rule. It's a bother seeing all the character bypassing and, since it's against the rule, having to do stuff about it. It'll be a little nuisance that I won't have to deal with anymore.

'Course, I might have to deal with the 4 word rule more often but that's all right. Them little buggers will get the hang of it some day.

/just y'know. two cents because her sections and all.

ahmet476

standing around
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
I agree with removing the 4/24 from Other Trivia.

ROM Hacking will get an overhaul sometime in the near future that will make it much easier to find completed hacks and make a subforum unnecessary.
That's good to hear :)

A [Complete] prefix wouldn't work with ROM Hacks. It would interfere with the prefixes already used like [Hack of the Year].
If a hack is chosen hack of the year or something, I don't expect it to be incomplete. It could still work though. [Complete][Hack of the Year] or [C][Hack of the Year]. If forum doesn't support multi prefixes you could type them yourself in your post title maybe. Anyway, it sounds like something is gonna be implemented to make there better organized.

Pinta77

1. Posting in some categories don't increase your post count. I suggest removing minimum character restriction from those places. I hate needing to re-post/add something to achieve that minimum limit while playing forum games.

Decent idea depending on which section. Possibly the welcome section, although I would hate to see peopl just post "hi." But I agree with it for forum games. Although it isn't that big an issue for me.

Back