The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more intellectual topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 24th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Jamais
«c'est presque temps»

Nature: Quiet
This never really occurred to me too much until this year, when my store managers said that we couldn't say Merry Christmas to customers (only Happy Holidays), despite having Christmas trees and decorations all over the store. I don't understand what the big deal is, as it's not like I'm trying to offend someone by saying Merry Christmas, I'm just being polite and saying a kind gesture. I'd have absolutely no problem if someone said Happy Hannukah or Happy Kwanzaa or something to me, as they were just being kind, even if I don't celebrate the same holiday.

Not that it matters to me if I have to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, I just don't quite see what the fuss is about, I guess.

Old November 24th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Godot17
The Skeptical Scepter

Nature: Serious
I was never really in the habit of saying "Merry Christmas", nor "Happy Holidays" after deciding against religion.

So, no, I don't say either. I'm a boring person. It doesn't bother me when people say either to me though. I just reply "you too". If I look white, I don't have any reason to expect that a white society would assume that I'm an atheist and politely say "Happy Holidays".
Old November 25th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
My opinion? Someone is just wishing for you to have a great month or great time and new year.. so what should it matter what exact terminology they use?
Pretty much that. I'm a Christian so I personally say Merry Christmas, but I'm not going to throw a hissy fit over my work that I must say "Happy Holidays" at work though. X-mas doesn't bother me either, seeing that really at the root of it, it has the same meaning and it's Christians who started that X to begin with.

Sometimes it's a matter of culture of what the country is found on, and rather if you still practice that religion actively or not, doesn't really matter. I enjoy the holiday/don't mind the name of many chinese/asian festivals too, even if I don't follow the religious aspect of those holidays.
Old November 25th, 2012, 07:15 AM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
X-mas doesn't bother me either, seeing that really at the root of it, it has the same meaning and it's Christians who started that X to begin with.
True.

Written, it doesn't bother me so much. But when someone says "Exmas", it just sounds really lazy XD
Old November 25th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Terabyte

Nature: Jolly
I have no preference as to how to refer to this time of year.. I do mostly say "Happy Holidays" though because its just a general reference to the holidays that occur around this time of year based on religion and because it isnt quite Christmas yet. However when it does get close I will begin to say "Merry Christmas". I also do say "Season's Greetings" on rare occasion but overall, I usually just say "Happy Holidays".

As for "Xmas", that doesn't bother me because the meaning of it is widely-known and if you're trying to type out "Christmas" and need some room (say on Twitter for example with a 140-character limit) I'll likely use "Xmas".
Old November 25th, 2012, 08:15 AM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
I honestly don't care at all. I say 'Happy holidays' at work just because we have so many foreign customers it would be odd saying Merry Christmas to a woman in a hijab. But with my family it's always 'Merry Christmas,' which is odd for me since I'm not Christian yet I celebrate it, so meh.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old November 25th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3

Either one is fine in my opinion. If someone says "Merry christmas" to me, I'll say it back. They both mean the same thing, seriously, it dosen't matter which one you use.
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
On the other hand, how people are petitioning the removal of an ordinary "Christmas tree" in cityhall during the Christmas season is just... ugh. So much for cultural and religious diversity and acceptance -_-; Do we have to go to celebrate no holiday what so ever, and rename everything to "Seasonal/Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter breaks" only? We really do have to draw a line somewhere between being considerate and being bossed around by some very vocal minorities...
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendino View Post
I don't understand what the big deal is, as it's not like I'm trying to offend someone by saying Merry Christmas, I'm just being polite and saying a kind gesture. I'd have absolutely no problem if someone said Happy Hannukah or Happy Kwanzaa or something to me, as they were just being kind, even if I don't celebrate the same holiday.
But really, is it a matter of your intentions or how they are perceived? Because if you are a person who does say "Merry Christmas" / is a Christian you're in the majority (in the US, UK, Canada, etc.) so you have a certain privilege. It doesn't really affect you if someone wishes you Happy Hanukkah the way it would affect a Jewish person to be wished "Merry Christmas." (For a parallel example, a black person having to hear racial jokes from white people about black people is not at all the same thing if you reversed it.) Of course it's rather a small thing to begin with, nothing that would really hurt anyone like racial jokes, which is why it still seems strange that people are so resistant to saying anything but "Merry Christmas."

I don't mean to single you out. Yours was just the first reply on this page.

deviantart blog pair
Old November 25th, 2012, 03:11 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
On the other hand, how people are petitioning the removal of an ordinary "Christmas tree" in cityhall during the Christmas season is just... ugh. So much for cultural and religious diversity and acceptance -_-; Do we have to go to celebrate no holiday what so ever, and rename everything to "Seasonal/Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter breaks" only? We really do have to draw a line somewhere between being considerate and being bossed around by some very vocal minorities...
Yeah. I mean, I don't find the Christmas tree particularly religious. I think it is a fairly secular way to mark the season. Nativities or some way of marking advent shouldn't be at city hall, but I don't see the problem with the tree
Old November 25th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Autumn Reverie
d a y d r e a m

Location: Above Singapore, below Thailand. Hm, you don't know where that is?
Nature: Modest
I always say 'Merry Christmas' and it's nice to hear other people say it to me as well. Christmas is somewhat of a universal celebration/holiday isn't it? :)

My country has multiple religions. We celebrate other religious festivals such as Aidilfitri, Deepavali, Wesak Day, just to name a few, and we freely wish each other as such without any holding back. So there is no reason why 'Merry Christmas' should be changed to 'Happy Holidays' for my case. If so, the other festivals' greetings should follow suit (which is pointless and defeats the emotional attachment to the whole celebration).

And as for Xmas, I never use it. I'm a Christian, so the Christ in Christmas is very important to me. I always tell myself: Why take the Christ out of Christmas when Christ is the reason this celebration exists? (PS. No offence meant, plus this is a rhetorical question so you need not answer it lol.)

Last edited by Autumn Reverie; November 25th, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old November 25th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Rodriguezjames55
No Jokes #MegaCharizard

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Rodriguezjames55
soccer moms are crazy god forbids we have something that we remotly exclude someone than again im catholic so im bias btw Merry Christmas in amonth - a day

Last edited by Rodriguezjames55; November 25th, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Jamais
«c'est presque temps»

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
But really, is it a matter of your intentions or how they are perceived? Because if you are a person who does say "Merry Christmas" / is a Christian you're in the majority (in the US, UK, Canada, etc.) so you have a certain privilege. It doesn't really affect you if someone wishes you Happy Hanukkah the way it would affect a Jewish person to be wished "Merry Christmas." (For a parallel example, a black person having to hear racial jokes from white people about black people is not at all the same thing if you reversed it.) Of course it's rather a small thing to begin with, nothing that would really hurt anyone like racial jokes, which is why it still seems strange that people are so resistant to saying anything but "Merry Christmas."

I don't mean to single you out. Yours was just the first reply on this page.
Even though I now say Happy Holidays to customers and other people I don't know to be friendly, saying Merry Christmas before just came naturally, based on what people around me said when I was growing up. Even when I went to school, the student body was very multicultural, and everyone said Merry Christmas over any other phrase during the holiday season (including a couple of my friends throughout elementary and middle school who were Jewish and celebrated Hanukkah). And while it is better to say Happy Holidays as it can apply to everyone, I just think it strange where it's come to the point (like at my work, for example) that we've been forbidden from saying Merry Christmas, as if it was intended or being perceived as offensive.

Old November 26th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Altomare
Purupuru!

Merry Christmas for me, mainly because I'm Christian (and I'm used to it already). But if someone greets me with a "happy holidays," its alright with me.
Old November 26th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I am a "happy holidays" person as half of my family celebrate other winter time holidays. If someone wishes me a "merry christmas" I am okay with that too.
Old November 26th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Jak
where the fairy flies

Nature: Timid
Dear Lord. I'm on Facebook and just scrolled past a picture of a billboard that says, "'I miss hearing you say 'Merry Christmas.' -Jesus"

Rolling my eyes right now. Thought I'd bring this billboard up in here, especially since most of the replies say, "I say Merry Christmas" lol...just ridiculous. Don't be sad, Jesus. Most people are saying it.
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:37 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Dear Lord. I'm on Facebook and just scrolled past a picture of a billboard that says, "'I miss hearing you say 'Merry Christmas.' -Jesus"
I'm going to assume that came from somewhere in the Bible belt, because where else would find overtly religious billboards? Let alone tasteless.

That's just... very ugh.
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity

Nature: Jolly
Happy Holidays. I think "Merry Christmas" is a cheap way out sometimes, easy and simple. Plus, Christmas is just one day compared to "Happy Holidays" where it's more than one day. But, I don't get angry at people who say "Merry Christmas", they at least make the effort to say it and it makes me feel a lot warmer, if that's the right word.
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Jak
where the fairy flies

Nature: Timid
Quote:
I'm going to assume that came from somewhere in the Bible belt, because where else would find overtly religious billboards? Let alone tasteless.
It didn't say where it was posted, but the environment seemed like here and I live in the Bible Belt, so obviously the majority of my Facebook people do too.

I personally believe in Jesus, but shoot, that to me is more offensive than whether or not someone says MC or HH. If I was Jesus...I'd be pissed.
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

Nature: Sassy
I frankly don't give it much thought. I usually am not the one to say it first so I'll simply reciprocate what I'm told, since that's probably what the person wants to hear, assuming they care.

I understand why people get defensive, but I don't think it's necessarily something that should warrant as much controversy as it has.

Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
voltianqueen
WITH SEAWATER

Nature: Relaxed
I usually say Merry Christmas, though sometimes Happy Holidays as well. I always thought it was dumb when people got offended by either of them. I mean, you know what the person means, they aren't trying to exclude you or trying to destroy your religion, they only wished you well, so just go with it.

As for me, I celebrate Christmas, but I hardly give it a thought which phrase is said to me.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
King of Kaiju

Nature: Quirky
I'll say both "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays," because 1) Christmas is the dominant holiday in my place, and 2) Christmas isn't the only holiday in December, as we have Hanukhah and Kuanza, which are also important religious holidays. The only people I ever see are offended and aren't from these groups are the Scrooge-type individuals who want to give others a hard time.

Credit goes to anon from JoyReactor.com for the sig he posted
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:16 PM
Unknown#
'Cause why not?

Nature: Relaxed
Despite the fact that a large amount of people in my town aren't Christian (in fact, I myself am Jewish), I normally say Merry Christmas. In fact, Christmas in general is a holiday most people I know celebrate (myself included) even if they aren't Christian.

Old December 2nd, 2012, 11:49 PM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Welcome to York County, SC!

Nature: Quirky
I prefer to call it, "Putting My Bank Account Into the Black Day" personally since it's typically the most profitable day of the year for me financially. But then it occurred to me that name for the holiday is too long and cumbersome.

As for the two popular naming conventions for the holiday, I'm cool with either, though I have to say "Merry Christmas" around my family because they will throw a fit about it if I say "Happy Holidays" (and I'd imagine they'd go postal if I referred to it by my preferred name).

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old December 3rd, 2012, 03:14 AM
PhantomX0990
Uh, I didn't do it.

Nature: Brave
This is one of the weirdest times of the year to be an atheist.

Especially a former believer.

As it is I say neither. If someone says something to me I will be polite and say thanks instead of returning the greeting, except I swear flipping 99% of the time I'm on auto correct and say "you too" without a thought. (Has anyone done that? It was my birthday Friday, and twice people wished me a happy birthday... and I responded with 'you too'... only to realize right after they leave that that made no sense.)

Sure I'm willing to explain my atheism or lack of enthusiasm toward the holiday season, but only if it's brought up. If someone asks me what I'm doing for 'insert holiday' I just say I don't celebrate it. Usuallly then people back off a bit, if they inquire further I'll tell them.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links