Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center > Competitive Team Help

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.

Old November 24th, 2012 (06:39 AM). Edited November 25th, 2012 by TurtleDX.
TurtleDX
Unhatched Egg

Hi Guys! so today I just picked up Pokemon White 2, And right now im battling the first gym with a Azurill and a Riolu, which is going to be part of my team, anyway. This is what I think will be a good team so far, help out and any suggestions will help

Lucario:
Close Combat
Swords Dance
Shadow Claw
ExtremeSpeed

Azumarill:
Toxic
Waterfall
Blizzard/Protect
Hidden Power (Poison :D)

Flygon
Fire-Punch
Outrage
U-Turn
Earthquake

Starmie
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin

Breloom

Substitute
Focus Punch
Spore
Seed Bomb/Stone Edge
( if i get Poison Heal )

Low Sweep
Mach Punch
Bullet Seed
Spore
( if i get Technician)

Arcanine
Flare Blitz
ExtremeSpeed
Wild Charge
Morning Sun

Thank you to:
PlatinumDude
Slenderman
Vanellope
AzaleaLightning
Old November 24th, 2012 (08:28 AM).
Sableye~
Back to PC~
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I'm not the best at judging movesets...But I'd like to point out that having Ice Beam as well as Blizzard for your Azumarill seems a bit pointless. Ice Beam only has 15% higher accuracy and is weaker by 25.

As for the other Pokemon, I see nothing obvious wrong. Though I see the same problem with Lucario's Aura Sphere and Close Combat.
Old November 24th, 2012 (08:34 AM). Edited November 24th, 2012 by PlatinumDude.
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
If Lucario is using Swords Dance, then it should be using all physical moves. Heal Pulse only sees use in doubles/triples as it only heals the target, not the user:
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-ExtremeSpeed
-Ice Punch/Bullet Punch/Shadow Claw/Crunch
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Azumarill's offensive stats are equally low, but Huge Power allows it to have a high Attack, thus it needs to focus on physical moves. This set might need some breeding, though:
-Waterfall
-Aqua Jet
-Superpower
-Ice Punch/Return/Double-Edge
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power

Flygon should never go without Earthquake. Draco Meteor can be dropped for it. The EV spread should be 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe, the nature should be Adamant/Jolly and the item should be Choice Scarf.

Leavanny's movepool is pretty shallow. Scolipede's is wider, but it has less Attack and higher Speed:
-Swords Dance
-Megahorn
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide/Baton Pass
Nature: Jolly
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
Ability: Swarm

Edit: You're going to need 2 more Pokemon to fill in the gaps for this to be a full team.

Edit 2: As for Salamence, its other moves don't provide good coverage together aside from Dragon + Fire. Facade is also better off on Guts/Quick Feet/Toxic Boost/Poison Heal mons:
-Outrage
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast/Aqua Tail
Nature: Naive/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie

or
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast/Roost/Hydro Pump
Nature: Naive/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Lum Berry/Life Orb

or
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Brick Break/Earthquake
-Roost
Nature: Rash/Naive
EVs: 100 Atk/176 SAtk/232 Spe
Ability: Intimidate

or
-Draco Meteor
-Outrage
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake
Nature: Naive
EVs: 92 Atk/192 SAtk/224 Spe

Edit 3: Lickilicky, while interesting, has its flaws. It has a wide movepool, offensively and defensively, but its low Speed lets it down and its weakness to Fighting doesn't help either.

Old November 24th, 2012 (02:45 PM). Edited November 24th, 2012 by TurtleDX.
TurtleDX
Unhatched Egg

If i do use it, ill probably HP and Def EV him, if i dont, what one should i use?
Old November 24th, 2012 (03:41 PM).
Vαηєℓℓσρє
ωнαт ωαѕ, ιѕ, αη∂ ωιℓℓ вє...

Nature: Naughty
Your team would be easily obliterated if an Ice type came in and your Lucario was down already. PlatinumDude already gave some very great suggestions.

I wouldn't recommend a Lickitung with those moves, no. You probably need a good fire type to back you up and give you advantage over Ice and Steel types, or something to fill in the gaps. But really, PlatinumDude already corrected all of the problems I could think of aha.

-Vanellope Von Schweetz-

"Everyone here says that I'm just a mistake"
Old November 25th, 2012 (06:53 AM).
TurtleDX
Unhatched Egg

Ive been thinking, I have nothing thats SE to a water type, should I worry or just take it out with powerful moves :p?
Old November 25th, 2012 (08:28 AM).
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
I haven't really done metagame since Gen IV but I can give you some basic tips, since I'm not familiar with Gen V's biggest threats.

I feel like Lucario can use a much better move than Shadow Claw, as I don't see it providing much coverage.

On Azumarill, I remember in Gen IV the Huge Power sets were really popular, which would cut out Scald, Blizzard/Protect, and Toxic from your team. Also, Return typically isn't a good move competitively. Another thing to note is Toxic + Scald don't seem to make a good combo, you generally pick one status infliction over the other and leave it as that. Try some physical moves like Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Superpower, Ice Punch, Brick Break, etc.

Another rule of thumb is to try to avoid using two moves of the same type.

Also, when posting teams to rate remember to include held items, EVs/IVs, nature, and ability.

I also don't see a particular weakness to Ice-types? Of course having Flygon and Salamence on the same team is pretty much asking for it, Turtle's biggest concern is Stealth Rock and other Rock-type moves. Arcanine, Salamence, and Scolipede are all very unhappy Pokemon in that situation.

And definitely get something to go against a Water-type. There are too many Water-types that you want to keep yourself covered against them. Gyarados, Jellicent, Starmie, Tentacruel, and Vaporeon all say 'hi', and I recall hearing Rain-teams are pretty popular in Gen V.
Old November 25th, 2012 (08:38 AM).
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote originally posted by AzaleaLightning:
I haven't really done metagame since Gen IV but I can give you some basic tips, since I'm not familiar with Gen V's biggest threats.

I feel like Lucario can use a much better move than Shadow Claw, as I don't see it providing much coverage.

On Azumarill, I remember in Gen IV the Huge Power sets were really popular, which would cut out Scald, Blizzard/Protect, and Toxic from your team. Also, Return typically isn't a good move competitively. Another thing to note is Toxic + Scald don't seem to make a good combo, you generally pick one status infliction over the other and leave it as that. Try some physical moves like Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Superpower, Ice Punch, Brick Break, etc.

Another rule of thumb is to try to avoid using two moves of the same type.

Also, when posting teams to rate remember to include held items, EVs/IVs, nature, and ability.

I also don't see a particular weakness to Ice-types? Of course having Flygon and Salamence on the same team is pretty much asking for it, Turtle's biggest concern is Stealth Rock and other Rock-type moves. Arcanine, Salamence, and Scolipede are all very unhappy Pokemon in that situation.

And definitely get something to go against a Water-type. There are too many Water-types that you want to keep yourself covered against them. Gyarados, Jellicent, Starmie, Tentacruel, and Vaporeon all say 'hi', and I recall hearing Rain-teams are pretty popular in Gen V.
The reason why I suggested Shadow Claw and not Crunch is because Ghost + Fighting have unresisted coverage together; Crunch is also one of Lucario's egg moves. Breeding won't most likely be done in-game.

Azumarill can afford to use both Waterfall and Aqua Jet, the former as a relatively strong STAB move, and the latter as a priority move to take out weakened opponents.

A Grass Pokemon to fill in the last slot would be Ferrothorn:
-Stealth Rock/Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip/Protect
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell

If Stealth Rock is a problem, Starmie can act as a Rapid Spinner to get them off:
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Rapid Spin
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure

or
-Scald
-Psyshock/Ice Beam
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure

Old November 25th, 2012 (09:15 AM).
TurtleDX
Unhatched Egg

Thanks, Updated ( i might remove Salamance out of the team, if i do, who should i use? I might use Ferroseed, but i was thinking of a Breloom?
Old November 25th, 2012 (09:29 AM).
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by TurtleDX:
Thanks, Updated ( i might remove Salamance out of the team, if i do, who should i use? I might use Ferroseed, but i was thinking of a Breloom?
It's your choice between Ferrothorn and Breloom.

Breloom:
-Low Sweep
-Mach Punch
-Bullet Seed
-Spore/Stone Edge
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band
Ability: Technician

or
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Seed
-Mach Punch
-Spore
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

or
-Spore
-Bullet Seed
-Force Palm/Low Sweep
-Stone Edge
Nature: Jolly
Item: Choice Scarf

or
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Spore
-Focus Punch
Nature: Impish
EVs: 236 HP/252 Def/20 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal

or
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Spore
-Seed Bomb/Facade/Stone Edge
EVs: 12 HP/252 Atk/244 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal

Also, you're wasting away Arcanine's good move pool:
-Flare Blitz
-ExtremeSpeed
-Crunch/Wild Charge
-Close Combat/Morning Sun
EVs: 72 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef/176 Spe
Ability: Flash Fire/Intimidate

Old November 25th, 2012 (12:03 PM).
TurtleDX
Unhatched Egg

Thanks!, i guess im done, ill just leave the thread open for a few more days to see if i get any other suggestions

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links