The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:05 AM
matt0044

Advertise here
You're free to disagree with me on this but for me, dialogue can really make or break a TV show. It can bring out the best (or worse) of characters via foils and banter and even a character that lacks in certain areas can shine even a little with a few good lines.

It's this reason (among others) that kinda makes it hard to enjoy Pokemon DP and BW's dubs (and JPN version to an extent) since the dialogue and the delivery seems so bland, dull and lifeless. It's enough to put me to sleep. Sure 4kids wasn't perfect either but they had a lot of good line (Flaming Moltres, anyone?) And is it me or does some of the dialogue at times sound like Ash and co. are stating the friggin' obvious or they just repeat the last few words of what someone said out of confusion?

Yes, I know that it's a kid's show but I grew up on shows that put honest effort into the character's lines and today, there are kids show with creditable dialogue so they'd be entertaining. It being a kids show is honestly a feeble excuse and crutch many use to put in no effort whatsoever. And nothing should be exempt from criticism.

What are your thoughts on this as a viewer?
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:11 AM
Ven Bloodia
Unmenschsoldat

Nature: Bold
The Pokemon anime's like /b/ imo. Never was good, never will be.
"Well what else is there to talk about, apart from the weather, the assassination attempt of the day being sponsored by El Dente's, and of course the latest political sex scandal involving foreign tranny midgets and elderly men in a 3000 dollar hot tub in a Beverly Hills suite."
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:58 AM
Yamiidenryuu

... Are you just going to open this thinly-veiled complaining thread on every Pokemon forum you can? Seriously.

Cheren Comic is a comic about Cheren! Go read it.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Railgun
Ever Day Another New Adventure

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Railgun
Really? Your trying to ***** about a kiddy show? Fail
Old November 3rd, 2012, 01:08 PM
matt0044

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyKetchum View Post
Really? Your trying to ***** about a kiddy show? Fail
I refer you to my previous statement:

Quote:
nothing should be exempt from criticism.
And I still stand by it. Plus, isn't Pokemon as a whole rated E for Everyone? Not Everychild?
Old November 4th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Charicific
PkMn Trainer

Nature: Modest
I also find the dialogue bland as well, but not enough to stop me from watching as it's something stuck with me now. I hate how characters repeatedly and excessively go like "Wow! Really?", "That's awesome", "Me too!". It's so repetitive and unbearable. But I still watch it :\ I enjoy it, but wish for these very silly phrases to be addressed.
What I hate about it is how the characters just break in with such line when it's not needed at all...
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
The Rating "E" means its safe for all viewing Audiences. This means that the show is specifically made for children between the ages of 5 and 12. This means that a lot of statements will be pointing out the obvious, making redundant remarks as well as overusing simple phrases. That's what E rated shows do.

They have to be set that way to meet the standards of the E rating so that children can understand what's going on.

There is very little use in complaining about Pokemon or critiquing it from any standpoint above that of a child's mentality as its not meant to be held to standards above that point.
Old November 5th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Lady Marie
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Quiet
I may have to agree with that sadly.

I've never really found the dialouge all that award winning in the first place. And it's sometimes boring but I blame that on the voice direction.
Old November 5th, 2012, 11:12 AM
matt0044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marie View Post
I may have to agree with that sadly.

I've never really found the dialouge all that award winning in the first place. And it's sometimes boring but I blame that on the voice direction.
It just sounds boring because it's like the script writers just put zero effort into it. It doesn't need to be award winning at all but the lack of effort to me is very blatent and annoying. There are tons of kids shows who care about the scripts so I'm afraid the "it's for kids" claim loses a significant amount a validity in my book. It's not all bad but half the time I feel like snoring thanks to the dialogue. Even if the episode is good.
Old November 5th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Blaze42
The Spirit of Chaos

I was trying to figure out why I dislike the Pokémon anime recently, but then I realized this is why. It's so bland and uninteresting.
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:37 AM
matt0044

Believe me, I don't hate the Anime because it's "kid's stuff" but there's a lost of missed potential and when I dislike something, I'll likely say something about it.
Pokemon: The Black & White Adventure: 14 year old Hilda is a Pokemon Trainer with a secret: she can talk to Pokemon. After setting off into Unova with her starter, she gets involved in the affairs of Team Plasma and becomes acquainted with N, a mysterious guy her age with the exact same abilities as her. While enjoying her life, a tangled web of mystery is weaved around her and the reveal may shock her beyond belief.

Join the adventure by clicking the link above. Read & Review.
Old November 15th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
It just sounds boring because it's like the script writers just put zero effort into it. It doesn't need to be award winning at all but the lack of effort to me is very blatent and annoying. There are tons of kids shows who care about the scripts so I'm afraid the "it's for kids" claim loses a significant amount a validity in my book. It's not all bad but half the time I feel like snoring thanks to the dialogue. Even if the episode is good.
I've never seen a kid show that didn't have stupid, bland, or completely useless dialog. All of today's cartoons are abhorrent in what makes them. Their dialog is all horrible, broken in many places and some of them it even sounds like they are reading the script right there rather than acting. Its like listening to a person talk and then read aloud. You can hear the differences.
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
Quote:
If there are tons of kids show with somewhat complex dialogue then could you give some examples? Due to the TV Guidance rating Y-7 where I live I am hard pressed to hear dialogue that is really going to intriguing from Pokemon Anime. So I think to myself, would I really go into watching the show expecting something more than what general "kiddy" shows have to offer? No, cause it is rated for kids and generally panders to a child audience. The game rating may be E for everyone, and everyone may like it but that doesn't mean everyone likes every aspect of them. Same applies to the Anime, just cause it can cater to everyone doesn't mean everyone likes or finds portions of the show great or even fine which in this case would be the dialogue.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old November 16th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
Sometimes I really wonder if people go back to when they were a child and watching Pokemon. Watching in while they were in the directed audience. Many people think it's bland and obvious because they're older and looking at it like it should be directed towards their audience group when it's not. While it is not a topic here, this is one of several reasons why I hate those nostalgic for the first season because it was so good but if you look back on it. Same type of dialogue. Just seemed better because we were younger!

Also I don't know any kids who care for the script itself. If they do then good for them but that certainly wasn't me and I'd like to have considered myself a typical eight year old back when I was watching the show.
Old November 26th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Bluelatios*
SOVA leader

Nature: Jolly
I think the best way to answer this is to first remember that its not a question whether the dialogue is suited for the supposed "target audience" or whether it was good to begin with, but how it compares to previous standards. Now its obvious that like any dub, there's the whole lip-flap matching thing that imposes limitations on how much freedom the scripters have to work with. That doesn't mean its going to be too unnatural most of the time, but it does force them to think carefully and be creative.

From the years of experience watching since OS, it definitely feels like there's less refinement put into the process of creating lines. It's like the dubbers write some drafts and decide between say, 2 possible lines instead of 5. Or when they need to squeeze in that extra few words they only use the very first thing that comes to mind, no matter if its just plain weird in context. (ex; Dawn saying something about "bushes rule!" after falling from a tree in a recent episode). Whether or not they're somehow trying to save time and/or are simply unskilled, I don't know. But I'm convinced that the standards, however they used to be, have indeed been lowered in the here and now.

It shouldn't be a question of "will the "target audience" care"?, it should be "why should today's audience have it any less than before"?
Old November 26th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
The Rating "E" means its safe for all viewing Audiences. This means that the show is specifically made for children between the ages of 5 and 12. This means that a lot of statements will be pointing out the obvious, making redundant remarks as well as overusing simple phrases. That's what E rated shows do.

They have to be set that way to meet the standards of the E rating so that children can understand what's going on.

There is very little use in complaining about Pokemon or critiquing it from any standpoint above that of a child's mentality as its not meant to be held to standards above that point.
Xander's right, the reason why the dialogue may seem "bland" is probably due to the anime being targeted towards kids, hence why some dialogue can be overused and redundant.

I haven't been watching the anime lately but I never noticed this until now.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

on a leave of absence

Old November 27th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Autistic Lucario
Life is too short not to enjoy

Put me in charge of the anime script writing and I'll fix that, don't you worry. :)

A Lucario named Zeke ventures into a forest one night and enters a portal,
then he enters a world where stealth, skill, and his neurological disorder will determine his fate.
This is not trainer vs trainer or pokemon vs pokemon, this is something greater. This is survival.

Credit goes to me
Old December 1st, 2012, 10:09 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

The problem with the dialogue in the dub is because of the questionable phrases and how the tone of the dialogue was delivered. There's also a lack of complex words like "recooperate," metaphoric comparisons/idioms, clever parental bonuses, and long explanations on how Electric moves cannot hit Ground types; All of these of which are common in other anime geared toward kids. American shows such as Avatar and MLPFiM use most of what I've just mentioned that became popular towards all demographics, so they really can't restrict themselves to just children.
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:26 PM
AwesomeAsCrawdaunt
Shizariger on EGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
The Rating "E" means its safe for all viewing Audiences. This means that the show is specifically made for children between the ages of 5 and 12.
I find this view to be a bit of a problem. "E" surely means "Everyone" not "Pander to Children"? If it was truly for "everyone" that could mean Kids and Adults would enjoy it. That's what happens with the games, and what should happen in the dubs of these shows.

But Nintendo, in one of their dumber moments, decided, "Okay, it's a show that appeals to kids, so let's make them the only audience that can enjoy it." Why do they have to do so?

Solstice is back. So why should you care? Because if you join it and set "Shizariger" as your Referrer, you will get my eternal love.
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:14 PM
imevil
Biggest Scyther Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I think the Dialouge was the same as all the other regions. I mean they have to keep it simple for there young audience.
Emerald Second City Challenge- COMPLETE
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE WATER!
Fire Red (COMPLETE) -> Crystal (COMPLETE) -> Emerald (COMPLETE) -> Platinum(COMPLETE -> Black 2

Hunger Games Challenge- District 8: Ruby 2/8

Old December 4th, 2012, 12:57 PM
matt0044

Quote:
Originally Posted by imevil View Post
I think the Dialouge was the same as all the other regions. I mean they have to keep it simple for there young audience.
I can name a few shows for kids with dialogue that is better written and less "simplified." The whole "it's for kids" and "don't like, don't watch" excuses are used to avoid getting really creative (outside a few moments now and then). As an aspiring writer myself, I really dislike it.

Hell, in DP, Brock's role in the show then boiled down to repetitive exposition that'd often break the mood.
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:27 AM
roosterman
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave
oh? excuse me, brocks speeches? team rockets theme?

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:10 AM
matt0044

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterman View Post
oh? excuse me, brocks speeches? team rockets theme?
1. He gives out clunky exposition that Ash during battle could sum up with something like, "Tepig can't take on a Water-type."

2. I like the music but why'd you bring it up?
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:31 PM
imevil
Biggest Scyther Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
He meant the little Poem they would say when ever they attacked Ash and his Pokemon.
Emerald Second City Challenge- COMPLETE
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE WATER!
Fire Red (COMPLETE) -> Crystal (COMPLETE) -> Emerald (COMPLETE) -> Platinum(COMPLETE -> Black 2

Hunger Games Challenge- District 8: Ruby 2/8

Old December 7th, 2012, 12:08 PM
roosterman
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave
Quote:
1. He gives out clunky exposition that Ash during battle could sum up with something like, "Tepig can't take on a Water-type."

2. I like the music but why'd you bring it up?
no not his monologuing on battles, i meant the stuff he says when he meets a girl

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here