The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner

Notices

Roleplay Corner The realm where writers gather to create glorious tales or silly drama together and chronicle their adventures. Start or join roleplays featuring Pokémon, other franchises or something completely original!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Nakuzami
That Person's Name Is . . .
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Storm View Post
Wow a lot of people are returning! Great to see y'all back! I guess school is done for some of you all? :D Right after next week I'm done and then it's 6 weeks off for me :3

My new roleplay shall be called Super Smash Bros: Augustine Rush, and I'm still working on dat plot...and still debating whether I should use human versions of the characters or canon characters. I'm leaning towards that, but not sure lol.

What's everyone's opinion towards using canon characters in a roleplay? I'm certain this was asked before. lol
//they all heard that I was coming back, so they all rushed over to worship me. //pfft, modest, lol

Canon characters in the background are okay, and I sometimes do that myself (as I am with the roleplay that I'm reviving), but as far as playing as canon characters . . . Yeah, no. -_- I just really don't like when that happens. I suppose you could call it the ultimate form of bunnying. Even if you manage to not ruin the characters, it's still no fun. :/

@Skymin - overdone! You have no creativity! >:U
Lol, go for it, I guess. It all depends on how you write it, so. . . .
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
The Arcana Famiglia RP's OOC thread I was talking about here a few days ago is finished & posted so make sure to go join once(/if!) it's approved! :D GMing sounds like a lot of fun so I can't wait for it to get stared - anyone have any tips on things to watch out for whilst running it though? This is all kind of new to me haha.
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:35 PM
PkMnTrainer Yellow
RP Mentor
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
Considering we're talking super smash bros here, not letting people 'use' canon characters in some way is probably an awful idea that will undermine the appeal of a super smash bros RP altogether. Characters with the powers of canon characters is an okay idea I guess. I don't know whether people care for character powers as much as they do their iconic characters themselves. If it turns out that it's the latter, that choice could seriously hurt the RP's appeal right off the floor. (Though it's still better than that OC ONLY. NO ARTISTIC LICENSE. FINAL DESTINATION nonsense.)

That being said, a thought occurred to me that could improve upon the compromise concept you listed. What if instead of human characters using the powers of characters, which is arguably going to come off as slightly stale and potentially put RPers off, people vaguely played as humans that not only had the powers of canon characters, but the /bodies/ as well.

This gives players the powers and physiology of a character, but allows them free reign to define their own personality (and possibly history, depending on how you play it from there.)

Think Avatar. I think Skymin might have been onto something like this in her last post.
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:12 PM
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I do agree that it would be quite appealing, to the masses at least, if one were to in some way play as the original characters (either in body or OC). Personally, I'd be for the "human version of the characters" or the "powers of the characters" ideas, but I wouldn't mind being the characters with static personality and appearance either, especially in the case of a Super Smash Bros RP. I could see the "original body, new personality" idea (or rather, ideas) being well received as well, but I'm more in favor of the first three.
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Nakuzami
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PkMnTrainer Yellow View Post
Considering we're talking super smash bros here, not letting people 'use' canon characters in some way is probably an awful idea that will undermine the appeal of a super smash bros RP altogether. Characters with the powers of canon characters is an okay idea I guess. I don't know whether people care for character powers as much as they do their iconic characters themselves. If it turns out that it's the latter, that choice could seriously hurt the RP's appeal right off the floor. (Though it's still better than that OC ONLY. NO ARTISTIC LICENSE. FINAL DESTINATION nonsense.)

That being said, a thought occurred to me that could improve upon the compromise concept you listed. What if instead of human characters using the powers of characters, which is arguably going to come off as slightly stale and potentially put RPers off, people vaguely played as humans that not only had the powers of canon characters, but the /bodies/ as well.

This gives players the powers and physiology of a character, but allows them free reign to define their own personality (and possibly history, depending on how you play it from there.)

Think Avatar. I think Skymin might have been onto something like this in her last post.
Yeah, when it comes to something like Super Smash Bros., I suppose not having Nintendo characters could be odd . . . but . . . Lol
That last idea sounds . . . weird, but it could work, lol.
Also, why limit it to the game characters? Why not all Nintendo characters? Or, heck, any game character!
//quod erat demonstrandum; I don't know where to go with this, lol
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:02 PM
PkMnTrainer Yellow
RP Mentor
Community Supporter

@Nakuzumi: Because Goku vs Anne Frank can only end in two ways--Really bad fanfiction or brain numbingly stupid combat.

But yeah. I don't see any issue with expanding the cast somewhat, but not having limits is probably not a great idea because it would get tedious making overpowered / underpowered characters balanced.

Then again, I'm bias against extra work because I'll probably just nab Princess Peach and sneeze my way across the horizon.
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...

Nature: Lonely
My pick for a character was Banjo and Kazooie; that is certainly within reasonable boundary. The new Smash Bros. being made for 3DS is being made by the same Smash team /plus/ Capcom. Which means characters like Megaman might also join the brawl.

Old November 27th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Nakuzami
Community Supporter

Quote:
@Nakuzumi: Because Goku vs Anne Frank can only end in two ways--Really bad fanfiction or brain numbingly stupid combat.

But yeah. I don't see any issue with expanding the cast somewhat, but not having limits is probably not a great idea because it would get tedious making overpowered / underpowered characters balanced.

Then again, I'm bias against extra work because I'll probably just nab Princess Peach and sneeze my way across the horizon.
. . . Just because Anne Frank would kick Goku's arse is no reason to be afraid to open the blinds!
There would be limits, of course. Perhaps only certain types of games, or just games with a certain rating? Maybe characters that fight in a certain way . . . then again, something tells me that Peach's beets aren't really as effective as Samus' grenades, lol. So certain characters could just be . . . "downgraded" a bit.
(I'd probably kidnap Yoshi, lol)
Uh . . . maybe certain Marvel/DC characters? I dunno. . . . Lol.
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:29 PM
TornZero
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
Quote:
I would butt-bump everywhere!

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakuzami View Post
. . . Just because Anne Frank would kick Goku's arse is no reason to be afraid to open the blinds!
There would be limits, of course. Perhaps only certain types of games, or just games with a certain rating? Maybe characters that fight in a certain way . . . then again, something tells me that Peach's beets aren't really as effective as Samus' grenades, lol. So certain characters could just be . . . "downgraded" a bit.
(I'd probably kidnap Yoshi, lol)
Uh . . . maybe certain Marvel/DC characters? I dunno. . . . Lol.
To be fair, even Sackboy is included in the new Sega brawling game so if they can give him attacks to use, I think most characters could have some haha. You could make it down to the player to decide their character's attacks and such, then the GM would decide whether or not it's acceptable for that character? That way balancing only needs to happen on a SU by SU basis rather than coming up with a huge list of pre-approved characters. But I guess it could get a little hectic or ridiculous, so who knows haha... Just an idea anyway!
Old November 27th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Denny Hamlin
The S o u l Survivor

Nature: Brave
Quote:

Your idea above made me think of cosplaying. xD Which I think would also be a fantastic idea. I mean, I want to keep the powers from the official characters and have "human" characters use them, and I sorta have doubts about that. However, for the plot I'm slowly working on, it's not gonna alter it, so I don't have to worry. :P

I appreciate the opinions, guys! That's all I wanted to know :)
Old November 27th, 2012, 06:40 PM
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:

It's a simple matter of balancing with strength proportionally to ability, it's really what these types of games are about, and there are tons of games that do it (and do it well).

In the case of "Goku vs. Anne Frank"...well, it's a great parallel but it doesn't really work. Not because of the power differences, that's beyond obvious, but because Anne has no fighting capability at all. A good example would be DON (Dragon Ball One Piece Naruto). While the latter two could be measured around equally in strength...well, pretty much the entire included cast could destroy the Earth with little effort, and justifiably so. The reason it works is because all of the included characters have incredible (or above average) fighting prowess and a good repertoire in terms of abilities and attacks, making it easy to simply imply their true strength and scale down.

Of course, as Ozzy and Nakuzami said, you could simply add attacks from their source to make the already interesting character suitable for such a battleground (ie. Sackboy and Game and Watch). Heck, you could make Anne Frank an interesting fighter (though it'd be a stretch, there's not much that you could add without her being a complete betrayal). Then, it's simply a matter of scaling up.
Old November 27th, 2012, 06:57 PM
OrangeNess
Layton Lover

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfOfEve View Post
I prefer the idea where we create our own characters and use the powers gained from a Melee/Brawler. Of course, you know what I have in mind.
If you do end up using this, I'm gonna use Ness! Of course, I'm an EarthBound addict, so I'd pick that. (See my screen name!)
Old November 27th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Dusk

machomuu, Game&Watch is alredy a character :D

Leafy (I'm calling you that for no reason) I'd like to hear your input on the Banjo-Kazooie idea still (Since Rareware was once bound to Nintendo) as well as the upcoming possibility of Capcom characters included in the series.

Old November 27th, 2012, 11:16 PM
PkMnTrainer Yellow
RP Mentor
Community Supporter

@Machomuu: No offense, but after last time we had a 'disagreement' I'm not inclined to believe that this one will lead anywhere productive. That being said, perhaps it would be upstanding to become adequately familiar with the game in question before giving advice relating to it... I might also recommend that you attempt to think of reasons why someone might find the situation you propose undesirable on your own.

@TornZero: That was actually totally what I was referring to. Y'know that "Haa-cha!" noise Peach makes when using her Peach bomber? That's her sneezing. Her sneezes send her /flying/ into people. That's literally what that attack is.

I don't know who my second or third choice would be, come to think of it. I never bothered to think of it because Peach wins first place by a very large margin, so I'm honestly not all that partial to anyone else.

@Leaf Storm: No problem! Glad I could give you ideas to work with.

@Wolf: Capcom seems to have jumped the shark. I honestly don't see any of their characters joining the Brawl. I'm neutral as to people being able to play them in the RP. While they're pretty legit choices, I almost would prefer the structure of there being a pretty limited selection of characters, though. Chaos leads to confusion and people choosing lesser known/non-nintendo characters nobody else knows about, which starts to defeat the premise a bit when you join a Smash Bros RP and don't really know anything about the characters in it.
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:38 AM
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfOfEve View Post
machomuu, Game&Watch is alredy a character :D
Exactly, that was really my point. Sackboy isn't exactly a "fighter" character either, but they use things from LBP to make him an adequate fighting character. Same goes for Game&Watch, having seen and played many Game&Watch games, he's not so much a fighter as he is...pretty much anything else. It's for that reason that his integration as a fighter in SSBM was so interesting, because, in reality, he wasn't a fighter, but they made him one.

@Yellow - You mean SSB? I've been a fan since the beginning, as well as Zelda, if that's what you were referring to (well, not since the beginning, but since Link's Awakening, so fairly long). Plus I've been following PBR pretty well and played a good bit of DON, I know what I'm talking about (especially when it comes to the aforementioned). Gaming is probably my favorite hobby and I don't say things definitively unless I know that they are fact, I know what I'm doing.

Last edited by machomuu; November 28th, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Skymin
the gratitude pokémon
Community Supporter

HEY GUYS just try to keep this conversation more roleplaying and less gaming, 'kay? Love all your enthusiasm though!
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Nakuzami
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymin View Post
HEY GUYS just try to keep this conversation more roleplaying and less gaming, 'kay? Love all your enthusiasm though!
We don't have to listen to you! :<

Lol, although the little "gaming" convo does relate to the RP discussion. Just on how the game mechanics would translate into a RP, lol.

But y'all heard the mayun of the sky! Stop gaming!
//I'm tired, okay? Leave me alone. xD

Oooh . . . what is the general opinion of using legendaries in RPs? If the use is required for story purposes?
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Denny Hamlin
The S o u l Survivor

Nature: Brave
Skyrim will use her ultra powerful sword if you don't listen to her. Jsyk. ;)

Well, as as long as the player using them doesn't overpower them in the roleplay, i have no problem with them being used. However, i am sorta against using legendaries in pokemon roleplays, as they have higher stats and powerful moves, I'd bench them.
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Dusk

Leafy: Still waiting to hear your opinion on characters for the RP.

Nakuzami, if there are ever legendaries, I expect that they must be relevant to the story. The only case where players should be legendary if /everyone/ is.

Old November 29th, 2012, 11:01 AM
PkMnTrainer Yellow
RP Mentor
Community Supporter

Certain legendaries, such as the dogs, birds, the lake trio, and Mew are really not all that powerful and can be easily beaten by many pokemon of a relative strength. Legendary status does not denote strength. For instance, the lake trio is pretty pathetic across the board in battle. Only one of them has respectable offenses combined with above average speed, and that one is fragile and still outclassed by such things as Alakazam, a pokemon who has been repeatedly shafted each generation.

Legendary status doesn't denote strength or even the ability to win a fight in any way. It mostly just denotes some sort of extraordinary ability, which could be as useless as being able to generate marshmallows out of thin air. While I don't normally recommend using the competitive metagame in RP for any reason, I might in this case recommend simply giving the Ubers tier a quick glance to see which legendary pokemon are considered broken/god tier in power. In this case, it's a pretty good indication of which pokemon are realistically too powerful in RP.
Old November 29th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Sweet_Dreams
i is a gud righter

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakuzami View Post
what is the general opinion of using legendaries in RPs? If the use is required for story purposes?
I've RPed several times with Legendary Pokemon plotstuffs, in whatever way. (Receiving Legendaries, getting the power of Legendaries, and currently having been a Legendary in a past life. ) It can be incredibly fun!

But like PkmnTrainerYellow said, you have to be careful to limit their powers or choose Pokemon. For example, in one of the RPs, Celebi didn't have its time travelling capabilities because that would seriously mess up an RP.
Old November 29th, 2012, 03:27 PM
<Challenger>
Wake me when you need me.

I'm sorry about the inactivity everyone. I had an amazing girlfriend that I had to spend time with...She just left me for some other guy. I'm dreadfully sorry, but I need to take a leave of absence. I'm seriously depressed
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:12 AM
Skymin
the gratitude pokémon
Community Supporter

Wheeee hey kids sorry about submissions. Ill get those done tomorrow after work! (Which'll be hopefully 5pm +10!)

In other news, how about a topic? A little overdone buuuuuut...

What first drew you to roleplaying?
Old December 1st, 2012, 09:17 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

What first drew you to roleplaying?

Ah, you know - as a fanfic writer, I was excited, because it's kinda like fan fiction (and yes, before anyone argues, I know it ~feels~ like fa fiction, but it's really not). You're your own character and you get to do a lot of things! Sort of a escape-out-of-reality sort of thing, you know?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here