The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

View Poll Results: Is the white 3Ds XL too noticeable when playing the game?
Yes, incredibly. You should go for a black screen. 0 0%
Yeah, you should probably go for something else. 5 41.67%
Nah, it's fine. 7 58.33%
WHA- The white version is the best! 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
I personally wouldn't recommend the XL because the touch screen is quite pix-elated on that console. Probably get a 3DS if you're considering a long term investment.
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Minerva
take that money, watch it burn

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Minerva
A 3DS would be a good console to pick, since some Pokemon games will be on that console, plus...you can play older Pokemon games like HG/SS on there so there is no need to obtain an older DS console. A 3DS (probably a 3DS XL) is a better choice.

also, I heard DSi and DSiXL are bad in terms of touchscreens, so I shall second Drakow there.
Old November 28th, 2012, 06:02 PM
NatureKeeper
No longer active here.

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NatureKeeper Send a message via Skype™ to NatureKeeper
I personally recommend a 3DS (XL). I haven't tried a 3DS XL, but they say the larger screens are better, and it is generally more sturdy than the regular 3DS. Plus the 3DS XL has some good offers with pre-installed titles like Super Mario 3D Land or Mario Kart 7 for free so you are saving the cost of a game (plus technically with the price of these separately for 3DS vanilla, you got a 3DS XL). By the way, screen resolution shouldn't be a factor between systems, really. 3DS (XL) alike have a subpar pixel density.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 03:57 PM
CobaltChrome
Unhatched Egg

Hey there. I recently tried going on my wii, but it doesn't read any of the disks. I have tried inserting the disk both sides, resetting the wii, resyncing it, nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a solution?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

Are they burned discs or retail discs? If they're retail, the laser in your disc slot may have burned out.

Platinum Supporter Team Fail

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Old December 22nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
CobaltChrome
Unhatched Egg

Thanks. They are retail. Should I get someone to work on it? Or would it be better just to get the new Wii U instead?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 08:43 PM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

Well, you can send it to Nintendo for repairs if it's still under warranty, or else you might pay quite a bit for that. The price, I'm not sure, but to get a DSi's L and R buttons fixed is over $100 CAD before shipping costs. I'd check and see how much it'll cost, and weigh your options from there.

If you had the skill, you could also do it yourself, and order a Wii optical drive online, open up the console and replace the drive yourself, but I don't have expertise in that area, so I couldn't say how much that'd cost.

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Old December 23rd, 2012, 03:52 AM
CobaltChrome
Unhatched Egg

Okay, that helped me a lot. Thanks :D
Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:19 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Lax
Merged into Quick Questions! :3

*Merge*
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:01 PM
xxReshiramxx

Nature: Gentle
Ok so I'm planing on getting my (Online brother) an N64 (Nintendo 64 for those of you that may not know) and I have one myself but I need some opinions on some games to buy for him. Keep in mind he's 23 years old.

He also likes RPG's and I understand that the N64 didn't sell well do to its lack of RPG's but I still want to get him this system because I think he'll like it.

So I was thinking about the following games (if I can find them and no sorry I'm not allowed to order online): Megaman 64, Super Paper Mario, bomberman 64, 007, Kirby 64.ect

I'm thinking about getting him those I'm wondering what else I should look for I have a store that I go to and I know the guy has the system I just need your folks opinion on what other games I should get him.
Old December 31st, 2012, 02:31 PM
CarcharOdin

Nature: Naughty
The N64 was my first console. Here are some suggestions:

- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- Paper Mario
- Super Mario 64
- Jet Force Gemini
- Goldeneye 007
- Perfect Dark
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Conker's Bad Fur Day
- Pokemon Snap
- BattleTanx: Global Assault
- Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
- Super Smash Bros.
- Kirby 64
- Mario Kart 64
- Donkey Kong 64

Hope this helps.

Paper Mario is an RPG, so he may really like that one. The Legend of Zelda games for the N64 are also legendary...my personal favorites in the series.

You may just have to order online, though, because some of these are pretty hard to find in stores nowadays due to the console's age and the popularity and rarity of some of the suggestions.
Old December 31st, 2012, 04:13 PM
Link
Rupee Moderator

Just merged your posts in here xxReshiramxx, this is where any quick questions should go.
Old January 1st, 2013, 07:33 PM
~RNC~
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Nature: Quirky
Hope this is the right spot for this, ok, I have a 3ds, a pokemon game that I like to trade online with and an AR, problem is it connects fine w/o ar in it but when I go to connect with the ar in it tells me there is no access point in range, what is causing this? I don't have this issue with my ds lite and the same ar inserted in it at all.
My Thread Review ---> HERE
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:43 PM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

I haven't tried using an Action Replay on a 3DS, but the AR that was made for the 3DS may accidentally block wifi. I'd check with the Datel site and tell them about the problem, and perhaps check if there's an update for your Action Replay.

Charizard

Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:38 PM
~RNC~
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Nature: Quirky
Yes but on the front of the AR it says for (just like this) 3DS DSi DS Lite? I mean I haven't trying going to DW with it but I can work around it if need be, but it should connect either way just like the other AR's and DS's.
My Thread Review ---> HERE
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Jenz
Unhatched Egg

I think this is not the place for this post but...
Is it normal if the gold part of the back of a DS game is scratched?:\
Old January 12th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenz View Post
I think this is not the place for this post but...
Is it normal if the gold part of the back of a DS game is scratched?:\
If it's small scratches that are parallel to the rest of the card, it's normal wear and tear as they make contact with a board in the DS. If it's a really deep gash, then that's not good.

Charizard

Old January 19th, 2013, 12:10 PM
cloud354
Unhatched Egg

Hi guys, I hope its ok I ask here.
Basically, I have enough money saved from my savings and christmas to afford a games console. I did use to have a PS3 and a wii, but the PS3 broke and I sold the wii.
I was originally just looking at a PS3, but now I really quite like the look of the Wii U. I had a very extended go of one a couple of times in the past week, and I really liked it. My question is

Do I get the basic one or the prenium one?
What are the shortfalls of the basic one?
Thanks
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
Basically the premium one comes with more storage space, a few accessories, and Nintendo Land. I believe it's also got some kind of ordeal that involves getting a little bit on money back on digital purchases you make, but I don't know much about that.

For the extra bit of money, it'd be easier to go with the premium for the extra space.
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:29 PM
cloud354
Unhatched Egg

Thats what it seemed like to me too
Another question, the Wii U has access to the wii's virtual console/back catalogue right?
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
Yeah, it's fully backwards compatable so the entire Wii library is at your disposal.
Old January 19th, 2013, 03:05 PM
cloud354
Unhatched Egg

Cheers I think... I'm 99% sure I'm going for the Wii U then.
Old January 28th, 2013, 07:47 PM
royvideogame
Unhatched Egg

is it worth voiding a warranty to open and clean out a dusty xbox 360, and replace the original case with the same case because of maybe 2 minor, almost unnoticeable scratches? (i want my 360 to look good and perform at its best, but I don't want to let the good warranty go to waste incase I get RRoD or that e74 error thing covered by the 3 year warranty.
Old January 28th, 2013, 07:47 PM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
I'm super excited about it!! I've only ever played it a handful of times at friends' and families' houses but I've never owned one. They're incredibly cheap used now so I picked one up, only the problem I'm having right now is its library...

I got the bundle from GameStop that's the pre-owned Wii along with five games (Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wii Play, Link's Crossbow Training, Bakugan, and Star Wars The Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels) for $100.

I plan on keeping Kirby's Epic Yarn and Wii Play, as I'm not interested in the other games because they seem kind of gimmicky.

I'm having difficulty deciding which games are must-haves for the Wii. When I looked at the available games (granted it was a very small GameStop) there seemed to be a ton of the sort of one-shot games, if you know what I mean? Disney Princesses, cartoon-based ones, stuff for little kids/families.

Games I plan on picking up soon are:
  • Animal Crossing City Folk
  • Pokemon Battle Revolution
  • Harvest Moon Tree of Tranquility
  • Harvest Moon Animal Parade
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2

I've never been super familiar with the Wii's library so if anyone can recommend anything (preferably comparable to the games I plan on getting), that'd be awesome! cx

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old January 28th, 2013, 08:53 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
From games that I've played, I'd say...

Boom Blox
de Blob
GoldenEye 007
Kirby's Epic Yarn