The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:57 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
Brick'd is right! The 5th book is the best book, because that's when EVERYTHING changes. Sure they still have an adventure at school, but they're MUCH different than they were before. And the 7th book is EXTREMELY different.

How could you Cosmo??? :P
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:38 PM
Pvt Tamama
Chii!

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by digi-kun View Post
I was unaware of this. What I get for taking my eyes off it for a little bit orz

Guess the new series would be off that seeing as the anime concluded and there's really no good reason to continue the old series after all this time.
I read through some of them they aren't that good and don't add much to the series
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:04 AM
Weeaboo Name
Banned

Nature: Gentle
It's a bit of a take it or leave it series for me anyway. I've read the manga into the 40s and watched the first series but it's by now means a fav.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
Esper

I feel like EVERYTHING CHANGES in the 4th Potter book because of whatshisname dying. Oops. Spoiled that. Ah, it's been long enough. Spoilers only have a few years of shelf life anyway.

deviantart blog pair
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:31 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
But Scarfy, that's not as big a spoiler as [person] dying in the 6th book! Remember how Harry Potter martial law was declared in the real world and anyone who dared to breathe a word about the ending was instantaneously executed?
Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:53 PM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
I remember that. I carried out a few of those executions myself.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:18 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
I remember that. I carried out a few of those executions myself.
I wish I had you around when some ASS ruined for me that Hedwig dies in the first big event of The Deathly Hallows :( I WAS DISTRAUGHT FOR DAYS AFTERWARD
Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:29 AM
GolurkIsDaBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I wish I had you around when some ASS ruined for me that Hedwig dies in the first big event of The Deathly Hallows :( I WAS DISTRAUGHT FOR DAYS AFTERWARD
Quick! Edit your post! Don't you see what you could possibly do? It would be deja vu, except you'd be on the other side of it!!!

Anyway, I don't think anyone ever spoiled anything for me. Of course, that's what happens when you get the book at midnight the night it's released. :)
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:19 AM
Esper

I remember some of those midnight releases, standing in line for 5 hours with capes and wands and putting a sign around my friend's neck that said "Muggle." Then the sleepover where everyone stayed awake until 2 or 3 reading before we all passed out with the books in our hands.

It was kinda bad one year because one of us got a book that has some printing errors that put a lot of the pages in upside-down and backwards (and maybe omitted some pages).

deviantart blog pair
Old November 24th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
Maybe those screwed up pages were a sign from the literature gods that Harry Potter is bad. Just a thought. /brick'd x2
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old November 24th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Esper

No, it was a test. See, you have two options when something like that happens. 1) you return the book and get a normal one which you can read normally, or 2) you keep it as a sort of collector's item, a special memento, but at the cost of not being able to read the book unless you get another copy. The gods want to know how dedicated you are to your book series. If you show sufficient dedication they may reward you in making that print error worth a lot of money to collectors. (Which in itself is another test - would you sell it just for money?)

deviantart blog pair
Old November 24th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmotone8 View Post
Maybe those screwed up pages were a sign from the literature gods that Harry Potter is bad. Just a thought. /brick'd x2
If you ever insult Harry Potter again, I will burn your crops and salt the earth.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old November 24th, 2012, 05:06 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
Harry Potter was my childhood. Really, it still is. My favourite book would have to be the first, while my favourite movie, the fourth or last (both parts). I didn't go to any midnight released but I remember fighting with some lady over the last ticket one night.
Old November 24th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmotone8 View Post
Now, in the few moments of your life you have left before the billion-strong legion of Potterites (or whatever the fanbase has named themselves) rampage and tear you limb from limb, I bid you to answer this simple question; Why is Harry Potter bad?
Old November 24th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Arago
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Now, in the few moments of your life you have left before the billion-strong legion of Potterites (or whatever the fanbase has named themselves) rampage and tear you limb from limb, I bid you to answer this simple question; Why is Harry Potter bad?
Speaking of bad books, I don't really understand the hate on Twilight (at least the first book). I read the first one and only the first one and I thought it was pretty well written. Now don't take that the wrong way. I think Twilight is a terrible series based on the plot and whatnot, and I don't care for the fans, but I went to see the final movie (having only saw the first movie, and half of New Moon) and I thought that the fight scene it had was farrrrrr superior to Harry Potter's, and I say that as a huuuuge Harry Potter fan.
Old November 25th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Esper

There's a terribly amusing tumblr (reasoning with vampires) that goes into all the grammatical mistakes of the books, but that aside, Twilight portrays an unhealthy relationship as something other than unhealthy. I know there are plenty of books and movies and everything that have flawed characters who do bad things to one another, but they usually do so with a self-awareness that the Twilight books don't. Bella is... not a good character. She thinks that she's a worthless person without Edward. Edward manipulates her and is generally a jerk (and so is Jacob). She doesn't have her priorities straight, nor does she have any feelings for other people, like when Bella is worries about how bad Sam must feel for mauling Emily's face, which is fine, but she doesn't really feel sympathy for Emily. And I'm sure there are dozens of things I've forgotten.

deviantart blog pair
Old November 29th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
If you ever insult Harry Potter again, I will burn your crops and salt the earth.
Why would you want to salt the entire earth? That means your crops would get ravaged too!
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

But as long as the original offender's crops are destroyed, he will be satisfied! That's what matters in the end!
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Esper

No, no. Andy's merely using a form of synecdoche in which a thing is used to mean a more specific subset of the thing. (e.g. "The world hates me." The entire world doesn't hate you, just part of it.)

Does no one but me study literature or linguistics? :(

deviantart blog pair
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

Totally voting you Buzzkill of The Year in MOTY :///////////
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Esper

Why are you talking about killing Buzz?

I should call the space rangers on you.

deviantart blog pair
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

....you win this time, Emperor Zurg.
Old December 1st, 2012, 02:09 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
OK, let's switch it up and talk about the Toy Story trilogy. Which one is everyone's fave and why?
Old December 1st, 2012, 02:17 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

I noticed a few days ago that this thread is a year old now! Good job, team! Thanks for the free post count and the good times!

Toy Story 3 was definitely my favorite in the trilogy, due to everything in that movie being, well, perfect, but Toy Story 2 will always hold a space in my heart because of the scene where Jessie reflects on her past life, the scene where Sarah McLachlan sings When She Loved Me and ruins my life :(
Old December 1st, 2012, 02:31 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb

Definitely Toy Story 3. It was probably the best third movie of a series...ever. It had a great story, great animation, it was funny, heartbreaking...

And when I first saw it, I thought the sad part
Spoiler:
was when they were in the incinerator. :'( How mistaken I was.

Omg, such a good movie.

Sponsored Links