The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 29th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

I've finally finished going through the wiki and updating its articles to reflect v10. I've also written a guide: "How to upgrade your game".

I've never done this myself, but I've covered everything I can think of. Is there any part of it that needs improving or adding?

There's another guide called "How to use Essentials", but it's not been made yet. It will include basic information such as how/when to make backups, how to record what you've done (so you can upgrade more easily), and so on.

I should say that these guides can be edited by anyone. They're not mine, they belong to everyone, and anyone can edit them if they want to. Indeed, I'd prefer it if you guys and girls wrote them, because I have no experience of actually making a game.

Are there any other guides you'd like to see?
Old November 30th, 2012, 05:42 AM
IceGod64
My imagination.

Nature: Naive
You made some changes to the text for Time-sensitive events too I noticed. Just yesterday, I was reading that article to run a test, and the the original text under time delay said something about used events that don't have time left not refreshing until the player reenters the map, which doesn't seem to be the case any more.

I'm going to skim through the ability effects and move effects pages later to see if there's anything else I can contribute soon, skimming over it quickly right now, It looks like most things in those categories are done or almost done.

Old November 30th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Maruno

It still says that (the first paragraph), and it's still the case - I just reworded the article a bit.

I'm not currently working on any move/item/ability effects. The pages you mentioned are certainly still a bit inaccurate, and the effects require researching to make sure they work properly both by themselves and with each other, and that they are indeed the correct effects. If you find any discrepancies, please edit the pages accordingly.
Old November 30th, 2012, 06:42 AM
IceGod64
My imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
It still says that (the first paragraph), and it's still the case - I just reworded the article a bit.
Strangely, I'm using two time sensitive events in a map - They appear as a Jigglypuff before you check them, and a Wigglytuff after. I set the event time to 30 seconds. If you talk to one, it will turn back to Jigglypuff after the time is elapsed. If however you talk to both of them, then what you claimed happens and neither of them will change back until the map reloads.

Old November 30th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Maruno

Well, I haven't actually checked how they work. You can refresh the map and get the events to update that way, although it's not normally done.

Does anyone know where I can upload a txt file, and be able to get a link specifically to that file? That is, I don't want to use pastebin or anything, because there's extra code on their pages. I'm looking into the Mystery Gift, and I want to test it - the gift is a string of text in a txt file, and I want to be able to download solely that file. The nearest I could think of was uploading the file to the wiki, but Wikia doesn't allow txt files.
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:42 AM
khkramer

Quote:
Well, I haven't actually checked how they work. You can refresh the map and get the events to update that way, although it's not normally done.

Does anyone know where I can upload a txt file, and be able to get a link specifically to that file? That is, I don't want to use pastebin or anything, because there's extra code on their pages. I'm looking into the Mystery Gift, and I want to test it - the gift is a string of text in a txt file, and I want to be able to download solely that file. The nearest I could think of was uploading the file to the wiki, but Wikia doesn't allow txt files.
I think you can use dropbox for that.

Check out the MMORPG I'm developing:

• Trading • PvP • Co-Op
Old November 30th, 2012, 01:33 PM
IceGod64
My imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkramer View Post
I think you can use dropbox for that.
Seconded. You have 2GB free storage, that should be more than enough for any txt file.

Old November 30th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Maruno

I'm having a go with Dropbox, but I can't find any way to make a file public. That means Essentials can't connect to it, so it's useless.

I've tried accessing a different file (http://api.hostip.info/rough.php?position=true), which works, so it's not a problem with pbDownloadToString.

Any suggestions?
Old November 30th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Derxwna Kapsyla
X-Class Project, Derxwna, #003

Nature: Lax
A friend of mine suggested Google Docs, but I have no clue if that will work. It's worth a shot I suppose. I'll amend this post, or reply, when I get another place of test.
Alternatively, Pastebin does have a Raw Plain text option, so that could work maybe. But I have no clue if your issue is with Pastebin overall, or what.
Another one of my friends also suggested using his File Uploader, which he knows for sure can do straight up plain text, and he says Essentials should be able to read it, though we haven't testes for sure yet. Disregard, I just tested this. Didn't seem to work.
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
In Progress:
  • Touhoumon Essentials Development Starter Kit for RMXP - Version 1 finished and released.
    The following version is outdated a great deal. Do not bother downloading it. I will have a new, revised version up eventually. If you really want the engine, I can provide you with the current engine Faith & Prayer version uses.
  • Touhoumon: Faith and Prayer Version - Demo 3.1 Released

Last edited by Derxwna Kapsyla; November 30th, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:51 AM
Luka S.J.
S.J.Ware HD

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
I'm having a go with Dropbox, but I can't find any way to make a file public. That means Essentials can't connect to it, so it's useless.

I've tried accessing a different file (http://api.hostip.info/rough.php?position=true), which works, so it's not a problem with pbDownloadToString.

Any suggestions?
Downloading files with Essentials is quite bothersome. From what I've experienced you need to have a direct URL to the file, so something like "www.yoursite.com/directory/file.txt". There are several free file hosts out there, I use Nazuka, since it has no adds, has unlimited storage, and is just simple to use. I found no other alternative which worked efficiently enough. Then again, it's a hassle setting up your account, if all you're going to use it for is just testing.

Last edited by Luka S.J.; December 1st, 2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old December 1st, 2012, 09:06 AM
udivision

I use envy.nu from when I used to make websites 10 years ago...
I think the upload limit is 1mb per file which is good enough for text files. I was able to make a "Pokemon of the Month" gifting feature so I can attest that it works.
Old December 1st, 2012, 09:46 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:

Any suggestions?
In your Dropbox folder, there should be a "Public" folder. Put files in there, then copy the public link and they'll work.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:45 PM
Maruno

Ah, finally!

Here's what I did:
  • Get Dropbox.
  • Find the option to create a public folder (it isn't created by default).
  • Put the file into it.
  • Go to the Dropbox website, find the file, copy public link.
I've gone through half a dozen different addresses which were all called the "public link" by various parts of Dropbox. I don't know why it didn't work for me before.

Anyway, now for some testing! Oh, and finishing writing the scripts (I'm making it from scratch, because my version is better than what's available). It'll give Pokémon and items only, which I assume is fine for everyone.
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:17 PM
the__end
Pixel Artist

Quote:
It'll give Pokémon and items only, which I assume is fine for everyone.
maybe you should add that the player can get complete team data and battle against this team?
this way you can simulate a "multiplayer" battle...

Last edited by the__end; December 1st, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:35 PM
Maruno

That's not what I'd call a Mystery Gift, though. Its use would be limited too, since only the game's owner (i.e. who can edit the uploaded file) would be able to create the teams. It's not a feature I'll bother creating.
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:03 PM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
There's another guide called "How to use Essentials", but it's not been made yet. It will include basic information such as how/when to make backups, how to record what you've done (so you can upgrade more easily), and so on.
Several tips (and the entire "Make backups" section), are more related to general game making than Essentials use. But I approve any "make backups" reminder.

There two way to start making backups. The first is understanding the backup importance reading guides/other people tips (like me now). The second is being traumatized by losing your files.

And I suggest you to add in the start something like: Before you starts, it is strong recommended that you made some tests with RPG Maker XP interface and events commands (specially switches, variables and conditional branches) before starting Essentials. I suggest to try to discover at least 90% of events commands. After this, starting Essentials, take a good look in example maps before starting you project.
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:12 PM
the__end
Pixel Artist

Quote:
That's not what I'd call a Mystery Gift, though. Its use would be limited too, since only the game's owner (i.e. who can edit the uploaded file) would be able to create the teams. It's not a feature I'll bother creating.
well you could call it "Mystery Battle" or something like this...
and that it is limited is an advantage and not otherwise!
this way you can avoid the spamming of 6x magicarp teams and you have full control about the strength of the team...
you could also add restrictions to the players team!
for example level cap or a banned pokemon list...
i thought if you already redo the mystery gift system you could add "easy multiplayer features" as well... (at least its easier then doing an actual real time battle...)
but its your decision so do as you like...
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:09 PM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
Several tips (and the entire "Make backups" section), are more related to general game making than Essentials use. But I approve any "make backups" reminder.

There two way to start making backups. The first is understanding the backup importance reading guides/other people tips (like me now). The second is being traumatized by losing your files.

And I suggest you to add in the start something like: Before you starts, it is strong recommended that you made some tests with RPG Maker XP interface and events commands (specially switches, variables and conditional branches) before starting Essentials. I suggest to try to discover at least 90% of events commands. After this, starting Essentials, take a good look in example maps before starting you project.
Good points. I've added a couple of sections to the guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the__end View Post
well you could call it "Mystery Battle" or something like this...
and that it is limited is an advantage and not otherwise!
this way you can avoid the spamming of 6x magicarp teams and you have full control about the strength of the team...
you could also add restrictions to the players team!
for example level cap or a banned pokemon list...
i thought if you already redo the mystery gift system you could add "easy multiplayer features" as well... (at least its easier then doing an actual real time battle...)
but its your decision so do as you like...
That kind of feature can be devised by whoever wants to use it. It's very similar to how my Mystery Gift system will work, which is a place to start.

However, I think this kind of thing should be usable by all players, not just the game's maker (it allows more variety), which means it would only work if it read local files rather than online ones. I believe Raptor does this, and failing a MySQL alternative, I think it's the best method. It could of course be improved a bit to read multiple files at once and let the player choose/delete opponents.

I don't know, I may add something like this (Raptor-style) eventually. A basic version only. It doesn't seem too difficult. Don't let my saying "maybe" stop you from trying to do it yourself, though.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:17 AM
the__end
Pixel Artist

Quote:
Good points. I've added a couple of sections to the guide.

That kind of feature can be devised by whoever wants to use it. It's very similar to how my Mystery Gift system will work, which is a place to start.

However, I think this kind of thing should be usable by all players, not just the game's maker (it allows more variety), which means it would only work if it read local files rather than online ones. I believe Raptor does this, and failing a MySQL alternative, I think it's the best method. It could of course be improved a bit to read multiple files at once and let the player choose/delete opponents.

I don't know, I may add something like this (Raptor-style) eventually. A basic version only. It doesn't seem too difficult. Don't let my saying "maybe" stop you from trying to do it yourself, though.
yeah Raptor has a feature like this...
this is how they explain their trade system in the game:

1) To carry out a Pokemon trade, you must first offer a Pokemon. This can be done by speaking to the lady on my right.
2) When you have done so, a unique code will be generated for that Pokemon. It will be saved to a text file within the Trades folder, labeled with the name and species of the Pokemon.
3) Send that code to the person you want to trade with; they will send you their code.
4) When you receive a Pokemon code, save it to a .txt file in the Trades folder.
5) Then, speak to the lady again, and choose to receive a Pokemon.
6) Select the file containing the Pokemon. You will not get the Pokemon straight away. Instead, you will get a short confirmation code; both traders must send this to each other. Similarly, this must be saved to a .txt file in the Confirmation folder.
7) When you have done so, ask to finish the trade, and select the correct confirmation file. Once you have done this, the Pokemon will be added to your team.
*You cannot finish a trade while your team is full.
*At any time before you confirm the trade, you may withdraw your Pokemon from the trade. However, this means the trade will be unable to go through.

the battle system is similar like this without the confirmation i think and instead receiving a pokemon you start a battle...
the confirmation is important but its to bothersome...
i will think about an easier way and write it here when i found it...
ahh and maybe its possible to fix that you cant trade when your team is full?
i mean sending the pokemon you received into the pc box or something like this...
Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:05 AM
venom12
Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to venom12
You could make trade like in raptor, it would be cool to have something like that and not everyone can make a system like that, also you could made battle in the same way.

Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:02 AM
Maruno

If there's going to be online trading, it's going to use MySQL because that's a much better system than faffing around with text files (and Raptor's seems rather inefficient with its confirmation files; I don't know what they're for).

In any case, this isn't the "Suggestions" thread; it's a thread about what I've been doing.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:02 AM
Luka S.J.
S.J.Ware HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom12 View Post
You could make trade like in raptor, it would be cool to have something like that and not everyone can make a system like that, also you could made battle in the same way.
If a developer wants to have trading and battling, they can do it themselves. Keep in mind that this is Pokemon Essentials. All those multiplayer features are not essential to make a game. You can play a Pokemon game without ever trading with others. While they are nice, there are other things that do take priority.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:44 AM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

How about tips for resource hunting in the guide? Something like "Search for a resource before making it, avoid rework." and "with the Essentials resources on the web, is easy to port some of gen 2/4/5 graphics to essentials, gen 5 pokémon and animated sprites.".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka S.J. View Post
If a developer wants to have trading and battling, they can do it themselves. Keep in mind that this is Pokemon Essentials. All those multiplayer features are not essential to make a game. You can play a Pokemon game without ever trading with others. While they are nice, there are other things that do take priority.
I can point dozens, maybe hundreds of features that Essentials had and aren't Essentials. The project is going to be an easy use, complete and useful tool for making pokémon games, but some features are added because they are useful and nice, specially while the project was under Poccil management.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:24 AM
Luka S.J.
S.J.Ware HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
I can point dozens, maybe hundreds of features that Essentials had and aren't Essentials. The project is going to be an easy use, complete and useful tool for making pokémon games, but some features are added because they are useful and nice, specially while the project was under Poccil management.
Sure, that may be true. I'm just saying, that if you do want the extra features that aren't in the kit, a developer should go through the effort to try to make it themselves. But pestering Maruno to do all the heavy lifting for things they personally want, is a bit selfish, considering the large amount of good work Maruno is putting into this kit already. I feel that we get more and more people who just want more and more ambitious systems, functions, etc, but don't want to be bothered to learn, and put work into it.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
the__end
Pixel Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka S.J. View Post
Sure, that may be true. I'm just saying, that if you do want the extra features that aren't in the kit, a developer should go through the effort to try to make it themselves. But pestering Maruno to do all the heavy lifting for things they personally want, is a bit selfish, considering the large amount of good work Maruno is putting into this kit already. I feel that we get more and more people who just want more and more ambitious systems, functions, etc, but don't want to be bothered to learn, and put work into it.
uhm saying that it is possible to make a feature that is similar to the one he is currently working on isnt pestering imo... <.<
for example if you make pokemon data downloadable you can make entire team data downloadable (6x pokemon) and start a battle against this team...
why restrict yourself if you can make an entire new feature with a little more effort on the feature you are currently working on?
and why is pointing that out pestering? <.<
its not like someone said he HAS TO do it...

Sponsored Links