The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Old November 1st, 2012, 03:01 AM
Jacka
PokéFan

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Jacka
Hello Everyone,

I just had a thought there as I was playing W2, have you ever found an Easter egg, or a pop culture reference in the Pokemon franchise? I remember seeing a screenshot of game play where the main player has been given a phone number from a trainer, who then said something a long the lines of, "... so call me, maybe?" ( maybe a Carley Rae-Jensen reference?)

I don't know, but i thought it would be an interesting topic to bring.

I know I'm not the only one who would like to see the Gangnam-Style dance done by the Kimono Girls. XD

Jacka.
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:55 AM
Nearsighted king of Ice
We'll get to that tomorrow

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Nearsighted king of Ice Send a message via Yahoo to Nearsighted king of Ice
Didn't they make a Wizard of Oz and Stand by me reference in R/G/B/Y/LG/FR?

Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?

Black FC: 1592-5761-9212
Pokemon X FC: 2921-9174-9000
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:28 AM
coolcatkim22
Route 35, there I am.

Nature: Brave
I think they also talked about the moon landing one. Oh and they had Mario referenced.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - The Dungeon Master/Ragewar
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:29 AM
Castform
Fortune doesn't favor fools!

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacka View Post
Hello Everyone,

I just had a thought there as I was playing W2, have you ever found an Easter egg, or a pop culture reference in the Pokemon franchise? I remember seeing a screenshot of game play where the main player has been given a phone number from a trainer, who then said something a long the lines of, "... so call me, maybe?" ( maybe a Carley Rae-Jensen reference?)

I don't know, but i thought it would be an interesting topic to bring.

I know I'm not the only one who would like to see the Gangnam-Style dance done by the Kimono Girls. XD

Jacka.

The call me maybe reference was in a hack of soulsilver I believe. That game was released before Call me maybe. Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are references to Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.

Old November 1st, 2012, 06:38 AM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I think in Gen I there is a Hiker he says "Fired away!" after you defeat him, a reference to the song 'Hit me with your Best Shot!'

Pokémon Aureolin

Old November 1st, 2012, 07:01 AM
Iqid Loopz
Hail HYDRA! Long live the SITH! Team LANNISTER!

Didn't Pikachu do the macarena in the Clefairy episode of season 1? (90's reference)
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:59 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Fantina says, "Never give up, never surrender!" in D/P/Pt, which is a quote from Galaxy Quest. There are also a lot of 4chan references in D/P, like the youngster in Oreburgh calling the player a "noob."

There are loads of pop culture references in B2/W2, such as:
-Billy Jo, Roxie's bandmate, is named after Billy Joe Armstrong from Green Day
-Some of Pokestar Studios' movies are based on other movies, like Enspoinklopedia Brown (Encyclopedia Brown), Rip Van Dwebble (Rip Van Winkle), Galvantula's Travels (Gulliver's Travels) and Snivy in Ivyland (Alice in Wonderland).

Old November 1st, 2012, 01:09 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
A trainer named Bird Keeper Donald on Route 14 in FR/LG has a Farfetch'd referencing Donald Duck.
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:20 PM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retribution View Post
I think in Gen I there is a Hiker he says "Fired away!" after you defeat him, a reference to the song 'Hit me with your Best Shot!' :)
Yeah, I picked up on this.. before the battle he says "Hit me with your best shot" and when you defeat him it's "Fired Away!"

Old November 1st, 2012, 02:51 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
There's a Young Couple that can be rematched in Ruby & Sapphire who's named Lois & Hal, a reference to Malcolm In The Middle. (They got renamed Kira & Dan in Emerald though)

In Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald there is a guitarist named Kirk, a reference to Metallica.

Also, at the Poke Transfer Lab there is a Homestuck reference when someone says "This kid is a Pokémon Trainer who has all the Gym Badges. All of them!". There's even a Doctor Who reference when the lab's professor says this when you're about to start transferring Pokemon: "Well, let's begin. Allons-y!" and after you're done: "Great! Molto Bene!"

One of the Riches in Black & White is named Draco, after the Harry Potter character Draco Malfoy.

And on Route 127 in Ruby/Sapphire, there's a Fisherman named Jonah who has a Wailmer on his team. Obvious reference to the famous story from the Bible.

Hugh and Colress in Black 2 & White 2 make a reference to Jersey Shore when they say "Come at me!".

And even the Pokemon Zekrom and Reshiram are Yu-Gi-Oh! references, Zekrom is black with red eyes while Reshiram is white with blue eyes, similar to Yu-Gi-Oh!'s Red-Eyes Black Dragon and Blue-Eyes White Dragon.

There's also one in the Pokemon movies too, in the fourth movie there is a character named Dundee who has a Croconaw with him, a reference to Crocodile Dundee.

Paired with Kouzan, Isaac and Heartouch
Battle Server | Tumblr | Profile | Supporter

Old November 1st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Jacka
PokéFan

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Jacka
Oh my god Yes! I lo e galaxy quest :D and I just found the Jersey Shore reference last night.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:38 AM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I believe a Grunt in Diamond/Pearl (I can't be sure about Pearl because I only own Diamond, but I assume it's the same) says "noob". That's the only thing I know of, though.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:24 PM
TheFattestSnorlax
I have a Tumblr page you know
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
I think they also talked about the moon landing one. Oh and they had Mario referenced.
Yes, this is true. In the Pewter City Museum you can see a model of a space shuttle, and an old man near the meteorites says "July 20, 1969! Mankind first set on the moon that day. I bought a color TV just so I could watch that news."

There is also indeed a Mario reference, where in Saffron City in the copycat's house, interact with the console. It will read "A Mario game with a bucket on his head!"

One more thing: In Rock Tunnel, a hiker goes "Hit me with your best shot!" referencing a famous rock song performed by Pat Benatar.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links