The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Old November 30th, 2012, 12:02 PM
imevil
Biggest Scyther Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
So as we have seen, many Pokemon have objects that they always have, but aren't part of there body.
Examples:
Scrafty
Spoink
Timburr
Probably others
So are these Pokemon born holding these Items or can they live without them. Why do they hold them in the first place?

Wait move to general my bad wrong section
Emerald Second City Challenge- COMPLETE
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE WATER!
Fire Red (COMPLETE) -> Crystal (COMPLETE) -> Emerald (COMPLETE) -> Platinum(COMPLETE -> Black 2

Hunger Games Challenge- District 8: Ruby 2/8

Last edited by imevil; November 30th, 2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old November 30th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

Nature: Sassy
Well they do have those things when they come out of the egg, so I'd say they're born with it.

Old November 30th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
Well, I think it varies with the Pokémon. For example, Spoink will die if it looses it's little gem thing (I think, don't quote me on that) But I think it's pretty safe to say that Timber's section of tree didn't grow inside the egg with it, it probably cut it down
Old November 30th, 2012, 02:07 PM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Spoink actually dies if it stops bouncing, so I don't think Pokemon "accessories" are really anything more than that, besides the obvious few who use them as weapons like Cubone.

But, I think they're born without them, despite sprite art.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:37 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Milkshake View Post
Well they do have those things when they come out of the egg, so I'd say they're born with it.
Presuming that Eggs go thru the maturation process of eggs such as chickens and so forth. Where would a Solid item develop in the egg?
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
Presuming that Eggs go thru the maturation process of eggs such as chickens and so forth. Where would a Solid item develop in the egg?
Pokemon don't have to follow the same scientific principles in real life haha.

Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Scrafty's 'hoodie' is its shed skin, so I would assume it was, at a time, born with it. Spoink's pearl comes from a Clamperl, so it isn't born with it and I'm guessing Timburr create their own logs from trees.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:20 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
Maybe they're born with it...

Or maybe it's Maybelline! Sorry, had to. XD

I would say no, they aren't born with the objects. They have to go and find them, as even though pokemon doesn't have to stick to our scientific principles, that just makes the most sense. And this is a question about what makes the most sense, right? :/

As for why they carry them, I think the answer is pretty simple. The objects are tools, like how we use spoons or chimps use sticks... it makes their lives and specific tasks easier (spoink's pearl amplifies its powers, timburr could use it's timber to benchpress or use it reach objects or something?)
Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:28 PM
LightningAlex

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
I've been wondering this ever since I noticed the hairband on Zoroark. Where does it come from xD I think Pokemon like Farfetch'd, Timburr and others that have an item not attached to their body, weren't born with it. They find it. But for Pokemon that have items attached to their body (Like Zoroark and the hairband), despite logic, I think they were born with it. How else do you explain that every one of them has the same hairband on the same place?

Old December 2nd, 2012, 03:59 PM
JollyRoger25
Dark Type Master

Okay, the reason why all the Zoroarks have headbands, or why all the Timburrs have a piece of wood is because we have a limited sprite system when it comes to playing the video games. Pokemon items are unable to form in the egg with the Pokemon, as it is a sterile environment with only the Pokemon's growing needs to worry about, not accessories. Logic would dictate that they find it either at or shortly after birth.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:12 PM
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

So this might be unrelated, but someone explain why Farfetch'd has a stick when he holds the item "Stick" and when he's not holding it.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:14 PM
imevil
Biggest Scyther Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Because of what someone else said, they each only can have one sprite so the could only give the one where he has a stick.
Emerald Second City Challenge- COMPLETE
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE WATER!
Fire Red (COMPLETE) -> Crystal (COMPLETE) -> Emerald (COMPLETE) -> Platinum(COMPLETE -> Black 2

Hunger Games Challenge- District 8: Ruby 2/8

Old December 3rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

I would imagine if we have a bazillion Spinda then we could have alternate sprites for some of the other Pokemon.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 03:50 PM
Yoshikkko

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
Scrafty's 'hoodie' is its shed skin, so I would assume it was, at a time, born with it. Spoink's pearl comes from a Clamperl, so it isn't born with it and I'm guessing Timburr create their own logs from trees.
Exactly this, there's not really any other way it's possible or would make sense. Obviously they find or form their objects after birth just like humans aren't born with a full head of hair, but it's logical that they don't show that in the game because that is not at all the point.

Quote:
I would imagine if we have a bazillion Spinda then we could have alternate sprites for some of the other Pokemon.
And no, because those would be different sprites for stages of aging for Pokémon after they come out of the egg, but, evolutions? Or would you want seperate sprites per evolution? That's stretching it way too far. Also, Spinda is randomly generated, they do not have bazillion different sprites. How would that even fit in the game anymore lol.

Last edited by Yoshikkko; December 3rd, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Ptzery
Skitty trainer

Nature: Careful
They are born with it. If a Spoink hatches from an egg, it has its pearl...
If a Timburr hatches, it has it's... thingy...
Same with a Cubone's bone, a Farfetch'd's stick, a Scraggy's hood and more.

If you played a 4th generation mystery dungeon game, you should have seen Spoink without its pearl. In the anime you see Timburr without its stick and Marowak without its bone.

This means pokemon are born with parts that aren't necessary, but they use them usually to fight with. If you were to take the item away form them, they would still be able to live, but they would probably be weaker.
Of course, you can ask me stuff, but I won't usually know the answer
You like my signature? If you do, I owe you 100 bucks. Just messing with ya!
Oh yeah, I have super pokemon rumble too. All of you guys are awesome
Skitty smiley!
Old December 4th, 2012, 03:16 AM
TaichiWind
X

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to TaichiWind
If Timburr isn't born with the plank, then answer this one question.

How does the plank evolve into a metal bar?

Also, Cubone hatches with its mother's skull on its head. That's hella freaky.

That's right... It's begun again... How long must this war go on?
Old December 4th, 2012, 09:30 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Scraggy's/Scrafty's "pants" are actually their shed skin. How a Cubone is born with its skull helmet, a Farfetch'd is born with its leek or Kangaskhan is born with a baby in its pouch is beyond me (in the games at least). In the anime, if I recall, Happiny wasn't born with its Oval Stone, and had to be given one by Brock.

Old December 4th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Ptzery
Skitty trainer

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaichiWind View Post
If Timburr isn't born with the plank, then answer this one question.

How does the plank evolve into a metal bar?
a) He is born with the plank.
b) The plank evolves with Timburr. What I wanna know is how Magikarp evolves into Gyarados. ( )
Of course, you can ask me stuff, but I won't usually know the answer
You like my signature? If you do, I owe you 100 bucks. Just messing with ya!
Oh yeah, I have super pokemon rumble too. All of you guys are awesome
Skitty smiley!
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Sabrewulf238

I think this is a fuzzy area for sure. While in the games they come out of the egg holding them, in the anime it's usually treated more like a seperate item that a pokemon just has a natural attachment to. Like in that episode where Spink lost it's pearl.

Ultimately though I feel if you want to apply real world logic to the world of pokemon you're going to end up very unsatisfied.

This is probably one of those areas where they decided to take liberties even though it doesn't make much sense. Whether a pokemon is born with an item or not probably isn't a huge concern to them and what matters is that they have the item and that the item is a part of their identity.

Last edited by Sabrewulf238; December 4th, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old December 5th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Nah... we can only have 32bit unsigned integer value of Spindas :D It's still limited amount :D
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links