The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.


Advertise here

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:29 PM
Digimon Kaiser's Avatar
Digimon Kaiser
White and Nerdy
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Digital World
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant

Advertise here
I'm not talking about dinosaurs here, but species much more recently extinct.

Like Woolly Mammoths, Tasmanian Wolves and Dodos, among other species humans had at least some role in extinction.

Do you think we'll see some of these in our lifetime?

Cloning a Woolly Mammoth may take quite a while, but scientists are slowly working on it, using an Indian Elephant as a surrogate mother, apparently.
Reply With Quote
  #2    
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:52 PM
Penta Penguin's Avatar
Penta Penguin
October 9th... make or break. Your choice.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North England
Age: 23
Gender:
Nature: Relaxed
I'm pretty sure we will, because the DNA in most recent animals that are extinct are undamaged. Dinosaurs, may be a very slim chance because the DNA may be already damaged, with them living millions of years ago.
__________________

Looking for a scripter for Pokemon Dark Nebula.

~Twitter~ ~Youtube~
Reply With Quote
  #3    
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:52 PM
Sassy Milkshake's Avatar
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
I may just be behind on my modern science, but are we able to clone non-extinct species lol?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4    
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:00 PM
Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
But Wooly Mammoths can't survive in the current temperature due to their fur, so there's no point of bringing them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Milkshake View Post
I may just be behind on my modern science, but are we able to clone non-extinct species lol?
Yes, for example: Dolly the Sheep.
__________________
Credit goes to KhanadianDaleks of imgur for the gif
Reply With Quote
  #5    
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:12 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Internet
I think they are only doing this to study the Mammoth. I dont think they actually want to bring back the whole species. It'll be interesting I guess to see if they're successful and it survives.
__________________
BMGf Ever Grande City
Reply With Quote
  #6    
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:39 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗'s Avatar
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Seriously is anyone else thinking of the whole Mew/Mewtwo thing with this? o; Things didn't seem to go very well that time so.

It's interesting. I wonder if (assuming they attempt to actually clone them) people will try to have them living in the wild. Or if they will try to modify things so their survival will be easier.
__________________
I am in the process of leaving PC and IRC channels associated with it.
If you wish to contact me, this is my channel:
client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.systemnet.info&channel=%23SableyeCorner
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Reply With Quote
  #7    
Old December 1st, 2012, 08:21 PM
Brynjolf's Avatar
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The Ragged Flagon
Gender: Female
I think that the whole wooly mammoth thing might work, but dinosaurs? Ehhh, maybe not.
With further research and about a century's time of work? Maybe.

But it is possible to clone things, like sheep and goats. So maybe in the future this will be a common thing.
__________________
Are you sure you want to play this game?
I'm afraid you'd lose
Reply With Quote
  #8    
Old December 1st, 2012, 09:54 PM
TRIFORCE89's Avatar
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Temple of Light
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
On one hand, it'd be cool. On the other hand, Jurassic Park has taught me that it's a bad idea XD
__________________

Last edited by TRIFORCE89; December 6th, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9    
Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:45 AM
Magic's Avatar
Magic
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Gender: Male
As much as it's one of Science's fantasies it is pretty much a waste of time and money.

Making one clone isn't enough to make a sustainable population, even making 10 clones from different pieces of DNA isn't enough really.

It's just a show-off project, even the chances of finding intact Mammoth DNA are slim, limited to very icy regions where there might be a frozen Mammoth somewhere.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10    
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:36 PM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
I don't believe DNA can survive long enough for us to have any dinosaur DNA left. Looking for the article.

Ah, here it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the article
The team predicts that even in a bone at an ideal preservation temperature of −5 ºC, effectively every bond would be destroyed after a maximum of 6.8 million years. The DNA would cease to be readable much earlier — perhaps after roughly 1.5 million years, when the remaining strands would be too short to give meaningful information.
So no dinosaurs possible as far as our understanding of DNA goes. Even if we're really off it's hard to imagine we're so far off that we really could have dino DNA left.
__________________

deviantart blog pair
Reply With Quote
  #11    
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:43 PM
Crux's Avatar
Crux
Evermore
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 青い世界
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Crux
Strangled Red
Jurassic Park
Fullmetal Alchemist

'Nuff said.
__________________





{Never and Forever}

Tees | Coming Soon | Coming Soon
Reply With Quote
  #12    
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:13 PM
PiemanFiddy's Avatar
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Well, I don't think cloning is going to happen ANYTIME within this century.

If it does, color me surprised, because then we'll have like 3 of every person on the same planet and our population will skyrocket.
__________________
"The entire world will be infected. A new Genesis is at hand and I will be the creator!"
Reply With Quote
  #13    
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:09 PM
shenanigans's Avatar
shenanigans
boom boom boom
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post
As much as it's one of Science's fantasies it is pretty much a waste of time and money.

Making one clone isn't enough to make a sustainable population, even making 10 clones from different pieces of DNA isn't enough really.

It's just a show-off project, even the chances of finding intact Mammoth DNA are slim, limited to very icy regions where there might be a frozen Mammoth somewhere.
So much this. Cloning extinct animals is... yeah, pretty pointless. I mean it might tell us some stuff about past earth, but what exactly? Say we cloned a mammoth - we can see that it's got, for example, a thick wooly coat to protect it from the cold. That's great, but we knew that already. We've pieced enough together as it is to understand how the world used to be from other sources so really... cloning something extinct would just be a one-off thing to show that it can be done. And given that we've already cloned animals which aren't currently extinct, we already know that it can be done anyway, assuming we found intact DNA from the species to be cloned. I just don't see a point either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiemanFiddy View Post
Well, I don't think cloning is going to happen ANYTIME within this century.

If it does, color me surprised, because then we'll have like 3 of every person on the same planet and our population will skyrocket.
There'd be massive ethical issues with cloning humans anyway (I might go make a discussion about that...), but as for cloning in general, it has happened before and work is still being done with it. So yeah, it's definitely going to happen more in this century. d:
Reply With Quote
  #14    
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Mochi's Avatar
Mochi
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
I'm a little anti-science as far as interfering with nature's courses, but I really don't think it should be considered.

It could have serious repercussions if you interfere with a species; let's say they want to increase the tiger population by cloning 10% of them, that percentage is small but those tigers would likely be reintroduced into the wild and sometime down the line, inbreeding deformities could become an issue unless they were careful about where and when they reintroduced them. However, that drastic increase in the natural population could really throw off the ecosystem dramatically.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15    
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Squidchan's Avatar
Squidchan
The Lady Cthulhu
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Adelaide
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Lonely
I don't like the idea of cloning extinct or endangered species because although we could be fixing our mistakes in regards to those we've hunted to extinction, or ruination of habitat, I think that these consequences help to make sure we don't do it again. If we were to perfect cloning, no-one would hold back when hunting animals because 'it's OK, we can just clone them back'.
Reply With Quote
  #16    
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Yoshikkko's Avatar
Yoshikkko
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Nature: Adamant
There's a reason those animals are extinct. Dodos? They're extinct because they are stupid. What's the point in cloning that? Instead of wanting to revive extinct species, they should invest money in trying to prevent more species from going extinct like polar bears and whales. Jesus what a waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiemanFiddy View Post
Well, I don't think cloning is going to happen ANYTIME within this century.

If it does, color me surprised, because then we'll have like 3 of every person on the same planet and our population will skyrocket.
I think it will. Also, no we wouldn't have 3 of every person? Why would they even do that? Besides, you can't clone personality. They would only look the same.

Last edited by Yoshikkko; December 6th, 2012 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Reply With Quote
  #17    
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:50 AM
PiemanFiddy's Avatar
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post
There's a reason those animals are extinct. Dodos? They're extinct because they are stupid. What's the point in cloning that? Instead of wanting to revive extinct species, they should invest money in trying to prevent more species from going extinct like polar bears and whales. Jesus what a waste of money.



I think it will. Also, no we wouldn't have 3 of every person? Why would they even do that? Besides, you can't clone personality. They would only look the same.

Well first off, I want to reply to the first post you made. Dodos are stupid? What kind of reason is that to keep them from resurrection? Dogs & Cats are stupid too. Also, how is it a waste of money? I imagine the whole Cloning thing and the Extinction Prevention Squad are two completely different organizations which have a completely different budget/salary. It shouldn't be a waste of money either way.

...and in reply to the quote:

The whole "3 of every person" thing is an exaggeration to show that with Cloning material, we could genetically reproduce an identical copy of ourselves. Now who out there WOULDN'T agree to doing that? Maybe it won't be public, and maybe it won't be serious.

Also who said anything about cloning personalities? I never implied that, I just implied that there was going to be an abundance of our species if we ever got a hold of that technology in the PUBLIC. Then it becomes an issue.
__________________
"The entire world will be infected. A new Genesis is at hand and I will be the creator!"
Reply With Quote
  #18    
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Forever's Avatar
Forever
let it go
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: http://goo.my/server
Age: 22
Gender: Female
I think it's a good idea. Why not bring back something you once thought was dead? I mean, if someone died too early, and you had the technology to bring them back, wouldn't you do it, even if it's wasting money as some of you say? For one I'd like to be able to see those animals in my lifetime, as it'd just show how amazing technology is... it'd be so awesome.
__________________
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Reply With Quote
  #19    
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Internet
I dont think its a good idea. Im not comfortable with cloning extinct species just because we can. What purpose would the animal have in the world? Just to be studied or sit in a zoo? The fact is the world has changed since these species went extinct and may not be able to adapt to the current world and might not survive, so what's the point?
__________________
BMGf Ever Grande City
Reply With Quote
  #20    
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Yoshikkko's Avatar
Yoshikkko
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiemanFiddy View Post
Well first off, I want to reply to the first post you made. Dodos are stupid? What kind of reason is that to keep them from resurrection? Dogs & Cats are stupid too.
[...]
I never implied that, I just implied that there was going to be an abundance of our species if we ever got a hold of that technology in the PUBLIC. Then it becomes an issue.
Uh what? I'll explain it more clearly to you if you don't understand; Dodos went extinct because whenever they were in danger they would call out to their friends and they would actually come too, and thus get all of them killed instead of just the initial one or two. This is stupid literally, this is not a good surviving strategy obviously. It's called natural selection. And oh my god wtf? Dogs and cats are not stupid? One of the main reasons dogs and cats are still here because they aren't. I'm not going to go on about this because it's a whole other discussion.

And secondly, there would not be an "abundance of our species if we ever got a hold of that technology in the PUBLIC". How do you think clones are born? Do you think they are just instantly a copy of the person they were cloned from like in the Pokémon movie? They would have to be born and raised just like any other human being, so no, it wouldn't cause an abundance because it would just be any other baby that was born because it takes as much effort.

Exactly what Shiny Celebi said too.
Reply With Quote
  #21    
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:15 AM
PiemanFiddy's Avatar
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post
Uh what? I'll explain it more clearly to you if you don't understand; Dodos went extinct because whenever they were in danger they would call out to their friends and they would actually come too, and thus get all of them killed instead of just the initial one or two. This is stupid literally, this is not a good surviving strategy obviously. It's called natural selection. And oh my god wtf? Dogs and cats are not stupid? One of the main reasons dogs and cats are still here because they aren't. I'm not going to go on about this because it's a whole other discussion.

And secondly, there would not be an "abundance of our species if we ever got a hold of that technology in the PUBLIC". How do you think clones are born? Do you think they are just instantly a copy of the person they were cloned from like in the Pokémon movie? They would have to be born and raised just like any other human being, so no, it wouldn't cause an abundance because it would just be any other baby that was born because it takes as much effort.

Exactly what Shiny Celebi said too.

Well I guess dodos are irrelevant at this point then. Since everyone is getting hyped up about Polar Bear extinction and Other wildlife, then they may as well focus on that.

You say there won't be an abudance of our species because... we won't be adults when we're cloned? We'll be babies? What exactly determines the age of the result of a cloned experiment? I'd like a little more clarification on that.

...and saying it takes as much effort is just ridiculous. How can you say something like a cloning device would take the SAME effort as someone who's pregnant? You think it's just going to sit in that tank for 8 months before it's finished? I don't know about that. We have the technology to speed up growth like that.


Oh and what you and shiny Celebi said:

What happens when Deer, Cow, Chickens and etc. go extinct? What then? Are you gonna sit there and tell me the same thing, because then you might as well be calling us all Vegans.
__________________
"The entire world will be infected. A new Genesis is at hand and I will be the creator!"
Reply With Quote
  #22    
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Internet
I dont see Deer, Cows and such going extinct anytime soon. They arent endangered or extinct. We're talking about brining back species that have been extinct for millions of years and whether we should do so or not. If a Wolly Mammoth was cloned, what would it do? Could it survive in the world? is there food that it could eat, etc, so on and so forth, that is the point Im trying to make. The things we do like this dont just affect us.
__________________
BMGf Ever Grande City
Reply With Quote
  #23    
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:37 AM
PiemanFiddy's Avatar
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Celebi View Post
I dont see Deer, Cows and such going extinct anytime soon. They arent endangered or extinct. We're talking about brining back species that have been extinct for millions of years and whether we should do so or not. If a Wolly Mammoth was cloned, what would it do? Could it survive in the world? is there food that it could eat, etc, so on and so forth, that is the point Im trying to make. The things we do like this dont just affect us.

I never said anything about cloning a Wolly Mammoth. If we did have the resources to clone it, I don't see it being much of an issue. We could always just clone one, test food on it, and if It dies, we know it can't survive in this world. Experimentation never hurt anyone :/
__________________
"The entire world will be infected. A new Genesis is at hand and I will be the creator!"
Reply With Quote
  #24    
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Yoshikkko's Avatar
Yoshikkko
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiemanFiddy View Post
Well I guess dodos are irrelevant at this point then. Since everyone is getting hyped up about Polar Bear extinction and Other wildlife, then they may as well focus on that.

You say there won't be an abudance of our species because... we won't be adults when we're cloned? We'll be babies? What exactly determines the age of the result of a cloned experiment? I'd like a little more clarification on that.

...and saying it takes as much effort is just ridiculous. How can you say something like a cloning device would take the SAME effort as someone who's pregnant? You think it's just going to sit in that tank for 8 months before it's finished? I don't know about that. We have the technology to speed up growth like that.

[...]
Yeah so what I said initially.

"We won't be adults when we're cloned?" I'm sorry but this is the most dense question I've ever heard. Are you actually trying to argue that a clone does not have to be born? I think you've watched too many movies. How do you think it would go? You think if I would be cloned, there would just be an identical double of me that is me in age, experience, emotions and so on? NO NO NO. I don't think you understand the realistic concept of cloning. A clone in the real world will never be more than just a replica of someone else's genes. A clone is not a robot, it would still be a human being that has to be born. Yes it would be born in a lab, and as it would be growing up it would look exactly the same as the person it was cloned from. Cloning does not mean to just duplicate another creature, that only happens in movies.

Last edited by Yoshikkko; December 6th, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25    
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:12 PM
PiemanFiddy's Avatar
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post
Yeah so what I said initially.

"We won't be adults when we're cloned?" I'm sorry but this is the most foolish question I've ever heard. I think you've watched too many movies. How do you think it would go? You think if I would be cloned, there would just be an identical double of me that is me in age, experience, emotions and so on? NO NO NO. I don't think you understand the realistic concept of cloning. A clone in the real world will never be more than just a replica of someone else's genes. A clone is not a robot, it would still be a human being that has to be born. Yes it would be born in a lab, and as it would be growing up it would look exactly the same as the person it was cloned from. Cloning does not mean to just duplicate another creature, that only happens in movies.

It doesn't have to have a personality. That's completely irrelevant to the point I'm trying to make, and if it was, I would like a clear explanation as to why a clone wouldn't have that attribute. If it uses my same genetic code and everything, then I really just don't see what's wrong with it.

I never said a clone would be a robot or a lifeless being either. I'm just saying that if our technology is advanced enough to the point where we can successfully clone a human being, then we should be able to speed up the growth process. It shouldn't take 8 months to grow another one of 'me' if it uses a different scientific method thing. It's all up to them really.

As for not being an adult, yeah I guess that makes more sense now. I don't see why it would be impossible though. Once again, if it uses my same genetic code, it could very easily grow to the same height and proportionate body size within the allotted time of 'completion'.

But I suppose... or I GUESS it doesn't work that way. I guess I HAVE been watching too many movies... despite me never seeing a movie about human/animal cloning before.
__________________
"The entire world will be infected. A new Genesis is at hand and I will be the creator!"
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.