The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: Which Gen had the worst starters?
Gen I 11 4.56%
Gen II 37 15.35%
Gen III 25 10.37%
Gen IV 56 23.24%
Gen V 112 46.47%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Azureth

Nature: Calm
I gotta say Gen V. None of them are that viable for late/post-game.
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Hikamaru
dude, woman up!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Johto for me, I didn't like their designs much and bar Totodile, they had not-so-good movepools.

Chikorita's line was clearly the worst of the bunch, Totodile's line is the only one with good moves and Cyndaquil's only advantage was for defeating the 2nd and 6th Gyms.

Also, I hated Kanto's starters cos they're overrated, especially Charizard.

Last edited by Hikamaru; December 6th, 2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:42 PM
LightningAlex

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
I voted Gen 4. Not only is it the generation that I like the least, but the design of starters (Turtwig being an exception) is horrible IMO.

Any spriter interested in having their Fakemon appear in a fan game? Or designing fake Mega Evolutions? Shoot me a PM
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Seki
You idiot!

Generation V, the only Generation that I did not really rely on my Starter as much as I did n the previous games. I also don't really like the designs of all their 3rd evolutions though I must give it to them, the 1st Evolutions which are Oshawott, Tepig and Snivy are cute, but as I said, the design sucked after the 2nd evolution (or whatever you them).

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:05 AM
ZettaSlowbro
Veteran

Nature: Docile
I had to go with 4th gen. Mostly based off design, since game play wise it's an eh decision.
Torterra was okay, didn't like Turtwig or any of the other starters third evolution much.

I wonder if anyone will actually vote Gen I, probably not.

White 2 FC: 4427 9506 5247
White FC: 1377 9722 4917
3DS FC: 1736 0570 0480

Last edited by ZettaSlowbro; December 6th, 2012 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Added more
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I voted for fourth gen as I don't like any of them, but for the other gens I like at least one of them.
Old December 6th, 2012, 03:33 AM
rocky505
<Now who's awesome!

Nature: Relaxed
Kanto or Johto did for me. Type wise

Grass- Best: sceptile/Torterra Worst: Serperior/meganium
Fire- Best: Blaziken/Charizard Worst: Emboar
Water- Best:All 5 are awesome to me.
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:23 AM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
fhngikd, why are people picking Fourth Gen, this is drisgraceful!?

Haha nah. Admittedly, I'd either say Fourth Gen's (meaning Sinnoh's) or Kanto's were my least favourite starters. While I like Fourth Generation a lot as a whole I found the Sinnoh starters to lack the 'oomph', or character I should say compared to that of the Johto and Hoenn starts. Gen V's were alright, and now that I think of them, weren't too crash hot either so I'd inclde them in my least favourites for sure. I disliked the Kanto starters for similar reasons as above.
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Callandor
Mageganistic!!!!!!!!!

Nature: Quiet
Fifth Gen for me. The only one I really is just Serperior. Snivy and Servine, just no. Only Serperior. Emboar is ok, but not great.
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:53 AM
#1-Trainer
Poke' Master.

Nature: Hardy
Anything past 2nd gen doesn't exist... So that's a silly question.
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:00 AM
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus

Well, In my opinion, Gen. 3 AND 4 had bad starters, so I just voted for Gen. 4

I should've voted for Gen. 3 since that's the catalyst Nintendo drew for Fire/Fighting starters. Excluding Treecko. He was cool :3
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Nature: Quirky
Obviously Gen V since Samurott's the only starter who is decent, but it has the stats a generic Water type. Serperior severely lacks coverage outside of Move Tutors, and Emboar's speed level him dead weight with his low defenses (its HP and Attack need to switch for it to last longer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky505 View Post
Fire- Best: Blaziken/Charizard Worst: Emboar
Where does Infernape go into this?
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:06 AM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I never played the Gen V games so it's pretty hard to choose. But Gen IV had some slow Pokemon, but they were also very sturdy. My Empoleon took lots of hits before going down.
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Blade_of_darkness
Corrupt Animatronic
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to Blade_of_darkness
Gen 1: Charmander is good, the other two are meh...
Gen 2: I used Cyndaquil, but it didn't compare to the other fire starters. The other two are on the lackluster side.
Gen 3: I love using Mudkip & Treecko, Torchic, not so much.
Gen 4: Chimchar!!! My favorite family of fire-types! The other two are more like tanks, but overall, they're still useable.
Gen 5: I really struggled finding a use for any of their starters. They all have wonky stats. Oshawott is the only one that doesn't, but I'm not a fan of water-types in general.

So, gen 5 has the worst starters for me.

If you see one of us up close, you're already dead!
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Pizzey
Shutter-Shaded Minccino

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Skype™ to Pizzey
4th gen. 4th gen as a whole was ehhh imo, and the starters were no diffferent :\
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:39 AM
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More

Nature: Lonely
I dont think any gen had "the worst" starters because its subjected to personal preference whether you like them or not. I knowvalot of people might say 5th gen might be the worst, but imo theyre pretty cool. So, I think all gens had great starters that had variation each gen introduced.

And ALL the starters as for every pokemon created, have their place in competitive battle to shine, so too think thats subjective.
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Cid
Find your niche.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Cid Send a message via Skype™ to Cid
Probably the starters from Gen IV. I mean, I like Piplup, but that's it. I felt like I had no choice but to take it when I was given the choice back in my Diamond. And unlike the Gen V starters, I've never really warmed up to them as much as I'd like to. Chimchar's okay now, but still, I really don't like the Gen IV starters as much as I like the other generations' starter lineup cumulatively.

I like most of the starters, though. Some minor flubs in Gen I (wish I liked Bulbasaur more), Gen II (I'm looking at you, Cyndaquil) and Gen V (no one in particular among the available three, but I felt disappointed when their final evos were revealed) in my opinion, but yeah.
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Sydian
you burn with us

Nature: Timid
Gen IV and V are easily my least favorite starters. I like the design on gen V's first stages much more than gen IV's though, so that's a plus for them. But, considering final evolutions, at least Infernape had a niche in competitive battling. As far as I know, you can't really say the same for gen V's starters. I ditch my starters in DPPt and BW(2) though, so it's hard to really say. But I'm going to go with gen V. I did use all the starters, and I found that I struggled with Snivy, Oshawott's line is overall a bit boring, and Tepig was probably the best of the three for me, however it bores me because we've seen the Fire/Fighting thing. Nothing new.

paired to peeta
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:16 AM
JamesTehGamer9896
Unhatched Egg

Send a message via Skype™ to JamesTehGamer9896
in terms of design gen 2 wasnt fussed about any of them and none really stood out and their evolutions were just the same design except pixels are added or removed, in terms of balancing gen 4 mainly because every single starter had an advantage over their weakness i mean come on it is possible for torterra can make infernape faint in one move because it is also a ground pokemon and fire is weak to ground, same goes to infernape and empoleon, infernape has fighting moves which is strong against empoleon because it is also part steel but other than that im a fan of gen 4
best will have to be gen 3 because i like all 3 starters regardless of what form their in especially blaziken
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Sarah Morgan
Mime Jr.

I hated Gen's 3's starters. Mudkip and Treeko were good for the early part of the game, however I ALWAYS choose the fire-type of the new generation, Torchic let me down
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Heracles4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
Johto for me, I didn't like their designs much and bar Totodile, they had not-so-good movepools.

Chikorita's line was clearly the worst of the bunch, Totodile's line is the only one with good moves and Cyndaquil's only advantage was for defeating the 2nd and 6th Gyms.

Also, I hated Kanto's starters cos they're overrated, especially Charizard.

I always use Chikorita, and its always easily the 1st or 2nd best pokemon on my team.

I do agree with you on that Kanto's starters are overrated.

I think, when people say that a starter is the 'worst' of its generation, you just have to be good to use it. I.E. Charmander, Chikorita, Treecko, Piplup, Snivy

I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Turboblaze
Blazing Aura

The 5th gen starters seem really underpowered to me. Emboar is really the only one of the three with a diverse moveset and even then, I think it's a pretty awful Pokemon anyway.

White 2: Pokedex-65/649 ~ Medals-27/255 ~Trainer Card: Blue
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:11 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
Generation V without a doubt. I traded mine for a Ditto as soon as I could.

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Little Big Planet 3

☆ Currently playing: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and Shovel Knight

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

Nature: Sassy
Hmmm maybe third. I feel like I like all of the starters pretty much the same in every generation besides Mudkip. Swampert is just ugly. Blehh.

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:03 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I don't have a hate for any of the generations, but I'd say Gen II. While Totodile and Cyndaquil are rather good, Chikorita isn't that good compared to both, as its typing means it can't go through the game effectively, since it's weak to Falkner, Bugsy, Morty and Pryce; most of the Pokémon Team Rocket use also resist Grass.

I never had too many problems using Emboar and Samurott in B/W.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links