The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: Which Gen had the worst starters?
Gen I 11 4.55%
Gen II 37 15.29%
Gen III 25 10.33%
Gen IV 56 23.14%
Gen V 113 46.69%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 6th, 2012 (01:19 PM).
AMT
Unhatched Egg

Gen V. Designs were terrible.
Old December 6th, 2012 (02:44 PM).
empty streets
Ace trainer ★

Nature: Brave
Gen 5. I don't like any of the starters due to their design. Same goes for gen 4 (except for Piplup, that guy is cute).
Old December 6th, 2012 (11:52 PM).
Brendino
Strike that. Reverse it.

Nature: Quiet
I was tempted to say 5th Gen, but I did have a little success with Samurott, so the Gen II starters are probably my least favorite. I realized that I've gone through with each of Gen II's starters, and none of them really made much of an impact. Even back when I was playing Gold for the first time, my starter (Totodile, I believe) was kicked off my team as soon as I found something better to replace it. I actually like their designs, but I just never cared to use any of them.

Moderator of Pokémon General
Old December 7th, 2012 (12:57 AM).
Synerjee
A madman with a box.

Nature: Relaxed
I don't really like the 3rd generation's starters. They are great in battle and all, especially Mudkip, but their looks weren't really my type. Perhaps this bias resulted from me not being as familiar with them as with the other generations. Oh well.

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family
Old December 7th, 2012 (01:59 AM).
Correspondence

Its Gen V for me because i didn't really use the starters as much as i used them in previous Gens.
Old December 7th, 2012 (03:56 AM).
phonastik
Strange Quark

Either Gen IV or V. Probably IV, because the Gen V starters are cuter.
My absolute favourite is Gen II, closely followed by III.

Forever alone since '99.
Old December 7th, 2012 (04:39 AM).
awolfsquared
I wish you a Merry Christmas!! (or CHRIStmas)
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I would say Gen IV because they don't stand out to me as much. Piplup's alright and cute, and I love Turtwig, but it's Chimchar that I don't like the most.

Merry Christmas everyone!
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old December 7th, 2012 (08:34 AM).
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Based on my actual opinion, I think the 4th Gen had the "worst" starters. None of them had that special charm that screamed, "Wow this guy is cool/cute! It'll be awesome training it for a long time."

In terms of actual usability, though, I'd have to say that the 2nd Gen starters are the worst. None of them have much versatility, and their stats don't exactly compliment their learnable moves real well.

Who says hacks have to radically changes things up from their base games?
Red doesn't necessarily think so. He's literally spinning in circles thinking of a "definitive" version of his adventure in Kanto!
Want to see what he has in mind? Click him for a throwback worth experiencing!
Old December 7th, 2012 (08:35 AM).
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Pffft Sinnoh.
Diamond was my first game but I still don't like the starters. :T I mean really. A huge turtle with a tree on its back...a monkey with armor that's on fire...and a weird penguin.

No offense intended to those who like them.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old December 7th, 2012 (11:18 AM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Forth generation for me. Mainly because I'm just not a fan of Chimchar, and I rather like all the other starter Pokémon.
Old December 7th, 2012 (11:40 AM). Edited December 7th, 2012 by Mononoke Hime.
Mononoke Hime
viva emptiness

Nature: Sassy
Actually, in 4th gen I only really like to use torterra, and it's the last evolution of an ugly pokemon.
Chimchar and pliplup are ridiculous.

And I must admit that 5th gen has a trumph card which is serperior line imo, so it's least worse than the 4th.
Old December 7th, 2012 (12:04 PM).
Azure Rathalδs
tumblr famous doesn't count
Community Supporter

I'm going to sound like a killjoy here, but I really don't like or care for the gen 1 starers. I think they are massively overexposed and overshadow better and cooler Pokemon like Dunsparce. Bulbasaur is just a weird salamander with a bulb on it's back and evolves into a nastly rafflesa. Charmander is really quite a annoying pokemon and Charziard is really overrated. (Charmeleon is kind of cool though.)

However, I am a huge fan of the Squirtle line. I think they are very well rounded and I like how they aren't just some sort of generic fire dragon thing like Charziard.
Old December 7th, 2012 (01:53 PM).
loucas
100% hot

Nature: Timid
i voted gen 5, but i don't necessary hate em all, i liked serperior's design, what i hate is samurott's design (doen't seem to work), i like emboar but he's lacking stat-wise.

BLACK: 4341 7135 0561
WHITE: 5372 5056 7476
Old December 7th, 2012 (03:58 PM).
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
I voted for Gen IV just because I've never entertained the thought of using Chimchar or Turtwig, ever.

Gen V is a hugely close second though, because battle-wise they're all horrible. Aesthetically though, I like using them all. To me they're a jack of all trades, master of none bunch ^^;

Gen I is mediocre to me, I like them all but they got a bit old.

Gen II is pretty good to me, I only use Chikorita but I've used the others in the past and enjoyed all play throughs with them.

Gen III is my absolute favorite. They have the best starters, Sceptile is pretty bad but I still like using it once in a while, and Blaziken and Swampert are just plain beastly.

Old December 8th, 2012 (02:21 AM).
wilso
Grass Master

Nature: Hardy
its kinda hard to chose really close are gen 2 and 5 because i only like 1 starter from them gens (totodile/snivy) but im gonna go with gen 3 mainly because i despise mudkip >.<
Old December 8th, 2012 (05:34 PM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I got to say it's gen V, the starters were the least useful and lacked great movepools, especially Serperior which is unfortunate as it's my favorite out of the three. Next up are II and I which are tied mostly due to the single type in the case of II and overrated in the case of I. IV and III are the best (III being the best.)
Old December 8th, 2012 (06:44 PM).
Alpha King
Man's Best Friend
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to Alpha King
I'm going ahead and saying Gen I. It was the only gen where I relied on my other Pokemon rather than my starter. Venusaur was alright, but the other two were kind of mediocre. Squirtle is cute though!

Other than that, I dislike the Chimchar family and I think that's about it. My favorite starter family ever is Totodile

Old December 9th, 2012 (12:37 PM).
Seru
Unhatched Egg

Gen IV and Gen V.
For me, Pokemon stopped after the Advance games
Old December 9th, 2012 (09:37 PM).
Number Infinity
Equal to Zero

Generation XXVI of course.. but for existing generations, I'd go with the status quo; Gen V. This is because Serperior has the Attack/Sp. Attack of Bellsprout and Oddish respectively(I'm not kidding/exagerating you can look it up),with Emboar, and I think I speak for everyone when I say this, it's deja vu: we've seen it twice(thrice now) in a row. I don't think I can say any thing for Samrowott and it's prevolution, but that's probably because I too lazy to keep typing.
Old December 10th, 2012 (12:24 PM).
ProdigyZ7
Unhatched Egg

I voted gen III , GEN IV is awesome! EMPOLEON FOREVER!
Old December 10th, 2012 (01:13 PM).
Plasma Prince N
Full-time Pokémon Master.

I don't really hate any generation's starters the worst, but I guess it's tied between 1st and 5th.

My personal favorite was Gen 3 in terms of starters. While Sceptile wasn't that great, it still had its uses; and Blaziken and Swampert were amazing, both in terms of battling and looks. Gens 2 and 4 are tied after that, with Typhlosion and Empoleon being my favorites out of those sets of starters.

Gen 1 just didn't appeal to me much, even back when I was playing it for the first time. The only starter I've ever liked using was Charizard, and even then it wasn't that great compared to my other Pokémon. Gen 5 was the same, even though I really like Samurott, the other two just don't appeal to me.

That's just my personal opinion on it, anyway. I'm rather picky when it comes to starters.
Old December 11th, 2012 (06:26 AM).
Apollo
誰か

Nature: Hasty
Fifth probably. Sure, they were pretty cool in terms of designs but meeeehhh I'm just not a big fan of them :x
Old December 12th, 2012 (05:04 PM).
The_Consumer

I like them all, but if I had to round it off, then Generation III has some of the worst.

I think Gen I will be the general "perfect" starter set, because they're part of the beginning of the franchise. We have a lot to thank those 3 Pokemon for
Old December 12th, 2012 (05:23 PM).
metal64meli
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to metal64meli
For me, generation 5...
I used to pick fire starters until this generation... I saw Tepig and I abstained myself from choosing it because I didn't want ending up with a fire/fighting pokemon just like in generation 3.... I decided to stay with Snivy because Serperior looked quite cool...
Old December 12th, 2012 (10:08 PM).
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Gen 5 for sure. Every generation has one Pokémon that I generally don't like, but Gen 5 is the only one that lacks a starter that I like period. Although they've kinda grown on my since the beginning, I still wouldn't use em.

Sponsored Links