The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General > Pokémon Polls

Notices

Pokémon Polls Express your opinion in straightforward polls and questions about Pokémon that would otherwise fit in Pokémon General if they weren't so, well, straightforward. Vote away!

View Poll Results: Do you think Lucario should gain the Dark Type?
Yes, I think he should be Fighting/Dark 8 34.78%
No, hes better off Fighting/Steel 12 52.17%
Neither....another typing would be better.(Explain) 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 5th, 2012, 02:14 PM
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More

Nature: Lonely
A topic formaly disscussed in the Dark Type Fan Club.

However I dont think it was disccused nearly as thoroughly as it should have been. As such I would like to know what you all think.

Do you think that Lucario should be Fighting/Dark instead of Fighting/Steel? Would you merely like it because it would make him cooler? Do you think it makes more sense? Or do you think it would benifit more competitively? If he were to gain dark typing, do you think Lucario should get another abillity or move? Make sure to explain your reasonning.

Disscus.
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Squidchan
The Lady Cthulhu

I'm not skilled enough in competitive battling to know whether Lucario would benefit from being Dark type instead of Steel, however, I don't think it would fit. In fact, Psychic seems to fit more as he seems to be the embodiment of empathy.
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Nature: Quirky
No, in order for Lucario for be part Dark, his entry has to mention him having a mischevous side. Besides, Fighting/Psychic suits him more, but he'll lose his Lightning Bruiser status from his Steel typing.
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Cid
Find your niche.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Cid Send a message via Skype™ to Cid
Judging from how I perceive Lucario's usual motifs, it would make sense for Lucario to not actually be a Steel-type. I mean apart from a few steel spikes, I really don't see how it connects with him. Now, I don't know about making him part-Dark instead, but I suppose it would make sense somewhat, if Lucario were intended to be like Anubis or Set from Egyptian mythology. The anime and some other promotional material (as well as the spin-off games and Riley from DPPt, too) kind of stray away from that notion though, and I'm thinking it has to do with the Dark-type being known as the "Evil-type" in Japanese. After all, Lucario's depicted as a valiant stalwart most of the time, so that doesn't really fit with the typing that hints at evil (maybe not as heavy as like pure evil since it's a franchise for kids, but leaning towards mischief and misdeeds).

I think being part Steel benefits him in battle, though. It removes the Psychic and Flying-type weaknesses, for one. He also gains a lot of resistances, so it's really a good typing combination, imo. Plus the spikes look pretty cool on his design. However, concept-wise I think Psychic-type fits him more than the Dark-type because of all the aura stuff, but since we already have Gallade and Medicham for that, I guess it wouldn't be too original.
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:46 PM
CourageHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
Judging from how I perceive Lucario's usual motifs, it would make sense for Lucario to not actually be a Steel-type. I mean apart from a few steel spikes, I really don't see how it connects with him. Now, I don't know about making him part-Dark instead, but I suppose it would make sense somewhat, if Lucario were intended to be like Anubis or Set from Egyptian mythology. The anime and some other promotional material (as well as the spin-off games and Riley from DPPt, too) kind of stray away from that notion though, and I'm thinking it has to do with the Dark-type being known as the "Evil-type" in Japanese. After all, Lucario's depicted as a valiant stalwart most of the time, so that doesn't really fit with the typing that hints at evil (maybe not as heavy as like pure evil since it's a franchise for kids, but leaning towards mischief and misdeeds).

I think being part Steel benefits him in battle, though. It removes the Psychic and Flying-type weaknesses, for one. He also gains a lot of resistances, so it's really a good typing combination, imo. Plus the spikes look pretty cool on his design. However, concept-wise I think Psychic-type fits him more than the Dark-type because of all the aura stuff, but since we already have Gallade and Medicham for that, I guess it wouldn't be too original.
Yea I can see where your coming from. Fighting/Psychic does make more sense than anything. However I dont think all dark types fit the mischeivous and wicked archtype. Like say Tyranitar, becoming dark type. Of which Tyranitar is very competitive and sometimes aggresive, but that is a common trait among many pokemon. Although Psychic or steel would either suit him better or seem more practical, I think Dark type would also be a bit cool givin his coloration and origin.
Old December 5th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Although his appearance may strike him as a Dark type, he suits Fighting/Steel IMO.

Playtime : 35:03 | Badges : 6 | Pokédex : 69
Old December 5th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

Nature: Sassy
I think even just mono-Fighting would've been sufficient. He's not exactly the embodiment of Dark as mentioned, nor Steel. Not sure whether taking Steel away takes away more competitive advantages, but it makes sense to me.

Old December 5th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Mononoke Hime
viva emptiness

I never understood its typing fighting/steel. I mean, why steel? Because it has something pointed in its chest? There's honestly nothing to do with steel in lucario, and also it don't even learn many steel moves afterall.
Maybe they gave it this typing to give more power to lucario, and I don't know why.

But, answering the question:
As others said above, Lucario looks like it's dark typed in it's design and learnset, but by analyzing it's behaviour it's quite improvable that it could be naturally dark.
To me, lucario should be fighting/psychic,despite of it's learnset.
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:04 PM
The Grubby Pup
Where's mah shiny squeaky ball

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to The Grubby Pup
Well, to me...No. It doesn't really doesn't look all that dark-typish. Granted, that it doesn't really look all the Steel-Typish neither.

But...I sit and start thinking about the Frillish-line...and ask...why is it part Ghost. What I'm sayin' is Pokemon is always coming up with strange type combinations.
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:21 PM
CourageHound

Bulbapedia~

Origin
Jellicent and its pre-evolution were most likely inspired by the Nurarihyon, a jellyfish youkai that is either shown as a demonized jellyfish or as a jellyfish-like man who wears refined, sometimes regal, clothing. It is also possible that they was inspired by the Kurage no Hinotama, a sort of jellyfish-like will-o'-the-wisp.

Oh and...

Lucario appears to be based on the Egyptian god of funerals, Anubis, who has the head of a jackal. Anubis's role in Egyptian mythology was to judge the hearts of deceased souls based on their actions during life.

Seems kinda dark type-ish.
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
I actually thought that Lucario shouldn't be dark type at all, and the steel and fighting type was actually the correct type.

But after reading CourageHound's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageHound View Post
Bulbapedia~

Origin
Jellicent and its pre-evolution were most likely inspired by the Nurarihyon, a jellyfish youkai that is either shown as a demonized jellyfish or as a jellyfish-like man who wears refined, sometimes regal, clothing. It is also possible that they was inspired by the Kurage no Hinotama, a sort of jellyfish-like will-o'-the-wisp.

Oh and...

Lucario appears to be based on the Egyptian god of funerals, Anubis, who has the head of a jackal. Anubis's role in Egyptian mythology was to judge the hearts of deceased souls based on their actions during life.

Seems kinda dark type-ish.
It makes me rethink on what I wanted to post. The point on that Lucario appears to be based on that Egyptian thingy that judges souls deceased souls really seems to make it dark. But thats just a look-alike right? So, I don't really know now. The only person that really knows is the Game Freak designers. So for now, I will just say its fighting and dark/psychic, but the colour scheme makes it looks like fighting and steel/dark.

EDIT:
But the naming sense, also from Bulbapedia:

Name origin
Lucario may be derived from the reverse of orichalcum (a mythical metal) or oracle (referring to its supernatural abilities involving aura). It may also involve lupaster (a subspecies of the Canis aureus), Cairo, pharaoh, or lykos (Greek for wolf).

The naming sense is supposed to be a metallic type of wolf. Thats makes it steel and fighting.

However, with that aura thingy, it makes it Fighting and Psychic.

So yeah that long wall of text with sucky English and lots of grammar errors is not suitable for reading, so I will summarise.

Design wise, its Fighting and Dark. Colour wise its Fighting and Dark with a little bit of steel. Naming sense, its 100% Fighting and steel. With its special aura abilities, its Fighting and Psychic.

So, why don't they just make Lucario and Quad-type Pokemon!

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously

Last edited by Seki; December 5th, 2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Mononoke Hime
viva emptiness

I'm really starting to think that Lucario should be dark/ghost/psychic and nothing like fighting and steel.

And about the frillish question, I only have to say that any jellyfish is like a dancing ghost flying underneath the water so this totally makes sense.
Old December 7th, 2012, 04:58 PM
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
I don't see how Lucario can even be a Steel type Pokemon, I mean I know it can learn some Steel type moves while leveling up, well so can Vanilluxe it doesn't mean that Vanilluxe is a steel type. I think they should have let Lucario just be only a Fighting type Pokemon

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:11 PM
MelchiorFlyer
Flygon

Nature: Naive
he's not a Dark type? Wow. #mindblown I like playing the games and spriting more than paying attention to crazy facts.

PM Me if you add me~!

Flygon is my bby~!
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Synerjee
A madman with a box.

Nature: Relaxed
I've sometimes had the misconception that Lucario was a Fighting/Dark-type instead of Fighting/Steel. I mean, he doesn't have much steel parts on him as compared to the other steel-type Pokemon such as Steelix, Magnezone, Metagross, etc, so I don't think of him as one. Despite this, I prefer Lucario as a Fighting/Steel-type as it gives him a lot of advantages and defenses over other types and makes for an excellent team member.

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family
Old December 10th, 2012, 03:08 AM
awolfsquared
I wish you a Merry Christmas!! (or CHRIStmas)
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
Appearance wise, yes it looks more fitting to be a Dark type imo. The only that seems to make it a Steel-type are the spikes in it's chest and hands and that's about it.

The ability the sense aura makes it more of a Psychic type. I just don't get why it's part Steel.

Merry Christmas everyone!
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old December 10th, 2012, 11:17 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOR(es)LAX View Post
I actually thought that Lucario shouldn't be dark type at all, and the steel and fighting type was actually the correct type.

But after reading CourageHound's post:

It makes me rethink on what I wanted to post. The point on that Lucario appears to be based on that Egyptian thingy that judges souls deceased souls really seems to make it dark. But thats just a look-alike right? So, I don't really know now. The only person that really knows is the Game Freak designers. So for now, I will just say its fighting and dark/psychic, but the colour scheme makes it looks like fighting and steel/dark.

EDIT:
But the naming sense, also from Bulbapedia:

Name origin
Lucario may be derived from the reverse of orichalcum (a mythical metal) or oracle (referring to its supernatural abilities involving aura). It may also involve lupaster (a subspecies of the Canis aureus), Cairo, pharaoh, or lykos (Greek for wolf).

The naming sense is supposed to be a metallic type of wolf. Thats makes it steel and fighting.

However, with that aura thingy, it makes it Fighting and Psychic.

So yeah that long wall of text with sucky English and lots of grammar errors is not suitable for reading, so I will summarise.

Design wise, its Fighting and Dark. Colour wise its Fighting and Dark with a little bit of steel. Naming sense, its 100% Fighting and steel. With its special aura abilities, its Fighting and Psychic.

So, why don't they just make Lucario and Quad-type Pokemon!
I never wrapped my head around as to why Lucario is a Fighting/Steel Pokémon because it never looked like a Steel Pokémon to me. But after seeing the "orichalcum" bit in Lucario's origin I can't help but agree that its typing is fine as is.

Old January 1st, 2013, 09:47 AM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
I know his origin has something to do with steel but the most steel on him is his horns, maybe, I think dark shows off more on him, especially being able to read aura, seem like his boxer style will be the fighting and design and power will be dark.
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:45 PM
TheSecondComingOfCaterpie
Unhatched Egg

Fighting/Psychic would make more sense. In fact, if there was no movie, the fact that he could use some weird Psychic-looking power without being Psychic would look like some gimmicky add-on to an already odd Pokemon. Dark is more mischievous and tricky, and Steel is more defensive, neither really fitting Lucario
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:19 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I never really understood the Steel typing. The only thing that says Steel to me would be the horns over its body. A secondary Psychic type does make sense, especially with all the aura related things it has.
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Eeveelution Co-ordinator
Budding Breeder/Co-ordinator

Send a message via Skype™ to Eeveelution Co-ordinator
Should have been Fighting/Psychic and Aura Sphere should have been Psychic type as well.

White 2:

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links