Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development
Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Mr.Pkmn
Someone making a pokemon hack

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanE.Johnson View Post
Being able to level your Pokemon past 100 would lead to being able to have a longer story while keeping difficulty at a nice level.

Going through the second half of a game fighting only level 100 Pokemon would be boring and stale, plus you couldn't level them up and evolve them seeing as they are already level 100. However, it would probably be extremely hard to catch any of these Pokemon due to extremely high level.
If that's the reason, then you don't really need to go past level 100.

Just modify the "experience for next level" table in order to make the level up harder. Or reduce the given exp with ASM.
I absolutely need a spriter!

PM me if you're good at pixel art and doing 64x64 sprites for ADV rom hacks.
Old August 10th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
Why would you want to make a pokemon go higher then level 100? It seems like a lot of work for something kind if useless.

Wonder Trade!!!
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:34 PM
xxMoon
Assembly Guy

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to xxMoon
Honestly I think this would be an easy feat. There is a function that limits the lvl that your pokemon can be. Now, if you caould locate that function which would be something like "in lamens terms" (If pokemon lvl = 100, jmp to no exp given) or (If pokemons lvl = 99, JBE to exp given)

Now for loacating that function, I would imagine this would be the route to take:

Using some sort of live debugger, search pokemon lvl, make pokemon lvl change, search it again. Then search for the code that is calling the address that the value is stored at.

Then you could just patch the game.

Honestly, I THINK THIS IS A GOOD IDEA. That would make it so you can make a really long story for ou mod.
http://dedrain.webuda.com/ <-- My forum

Last edited by xxMoon; September 9th, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old December 8th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Wynchester
Legendary Trainer

I agree with xxMoon. That would be a good way to try. And Pinta... if you paid any attention, it's for a Trainer Battle against the Team Rocket of the game where the organization creates stronger Dark Pokemon.

Now... to my idea on how this could be done... You may want to try not going for a regular Trainer battle, but rather have the main character watch a battle and then you change the level of the scripted battle's pokemon so that it appears to be that the opponents pokemon are such high levels, but really they aren't. The only other option besides these ones listed is just going in and adjusting the cap. But you may want an expert to help with that so you don't screw up the game.
To all people who I was trying to help: my computer has encountered a major virus wiping out all of my emulators and related files. My computer and USB drives are in critical condition as far as infection. Please forgive me for any work you were hoping I could do for you, but I don't even have the files for the original games anymore. So for now, I have to resign from work until my computer gets cleaned. I will try to return to hacking as soon as I can, but it may not be for a while.

UPDATE: My computer and devices are cleaned, but atm, I do NOT have access to my hack tools. I can not hack for anyone including myself. My apologies to anyone this inconveniences.
Old December 8th, 2012, 09:53 AM
thedarkb
Intermediate Hacker

Through the JACRED glitche the ZZAAZZ glitch, the old man glitch, the long range trainer glitch and the mew glitch in any of these glitches you can get a pokemon of a level above 100 (or below 0) but all of these glitches were removed in gen II. Althogh I met someone who claimed to have found an Action Replay code to level them up higher than 100 in gen IV.
Old December 8th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Agastya
Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.

Nature: Quiet
Getting the cap to go past 100 would break far more than it would improve. You remember that the attacker's level is a part of the damage formula, right? A level 150 Pokemon would do 1.5x more damage than a level 100 Pokemon would. This damage scales far faster than defenses do when your foes don't have any EVs (reminder that the AI does not get EVs while the player does) and you'll burn any challenge that exists away if you're following a sensible level curve and not just throwing level 200 Giratinas at the player in midgame or some garbage.

If you need a multi region game pull a GSC and have the first region's Elite Four just be in the 40s. Multiple regions are nearly impossible to balance anyway.

I personally think we should be more interested in figuring out how to rig up trainers to have EVs instead, but since I don't know anything about "actual" hacking I have no room to talk.
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:35 AM
NintendoBoyDX
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agastya View Post
Getting the cap to go past 100 would break far more than it would improve. You remember that the attacker's level is a part of the damage formula, right? A level 150 Pokemon would do 1.5x more damage than a level 100 Pokemon would. This damage scales far faster than defenses do when your foes don't have any EVs (reminder that the AI does not get EVs while the player does) and you'll burn any challenge that exists away if you're following a sensible level curve and not just throwing level 200 Giratinas at the player in midgame or some garbage.

If you need a multi region game pull a GSC and have the first region's Elite Four just be in the 40s. Multiple regions are nearly impossible to balance anyway.

I personally think we should be more interested in figuring out how to rig up trainers to have EVs instead, but since I don't know anything about "actual" hacking I have no room to talk.
I'm pretty sure that they understand to raise the cap past 100 that you'd need to edit all the other stuff along with it.
I believe I've found all the spots where you have to edit the level cap in order to change it. I've only lowered it from 100, never went above or up to the max, which would be 255.
Old December 13th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Wynchester
Legendary Trainer

NintendoBoy, what game did you figure it out for? Fire Red is what he needs. Also can you post what you found or link to a post of what you found?
To all people who I was trying to help: my computer has encountered a major virus wiping out all of my emulators and related files. My computer and USB drives are in critical condition as far as infection. Please forgive me for any work you were hoping I could do for you, but I don't even have the files for the original games anymore. So for now, I have to resign from work until my computer gets cleaned. I will try to return to hacking as soon as I can, but it may not be for a while.

UPDATE: My computer and devices are cleaned, but atm, I do NOT have access to my hack tools. I can not hack for anyone including myself. My apologies to anyone this inconveniences.
Old December 17th, 2012, 01:21 PM
NintendoBoyDX
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynchester View Post
NintendoBoy, what game did you figure it out for? Fire Red is what he needs. Also can you post what you found or link to a post of what you found?
Sure, I can provide you with my old notes for firered.
Simply:
Code:
Pokemon lvl 100 checks:

0804A216 - change 0x64 to your value
08021CFA - change 0x64 to your value
08021FB6 - change 0x64 to your value
0803E806 - change 0x64 to your value
0803E872 - change 0x64 to your value
08041834  - change 0x64 to your value
08041B1E - change 0x64 to your value (08041b22?)
080420E8 - change 0x64 to your value (080420EE)
0804274E - change 0x64 to your value
08045684 - change 0x64 to your value
08041B0E - change 0x63 to your value - 1
08032F6E - change 0x63 to your value - 1
There will be checks of 0x64 & 0x63 (100 & 99) that can be changed to any number from 0 - 0xFF (255).
You'll also have to make changes to the formulas for catchrate, stats @ lvl up, etc if you go above 100.

Last edited by NintendoBoyDX; December 26th, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:48 PM
SchokoInc
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanE.Johnson View Post
Going through the second half of a game fighting only level 100 Pokemon would be boring and stale, plus you couldn't level them up and evolve them seeing as they are already level 100. However, it would probably be extremely hard to catch any of these Pokemon due to extremely high level.
I thought of the same thing but well, a balanced level system would make things much easier (like in GSC where the pokémon in victory road are level 27 compared to lvl 45 in RBY or RSS so drastically reducing wild pokemons level and exp given would make the game longer too.
Also (talking about boring and stale) you'd need to rise the levels for evolution too so it won't get too imbalanced (catching lvl 120 pokemon in Sinnoh that will evolve into their finals forms at once) which would make the starting parts harder.

At the last point I don't know if you are that far into hacking but there are about 30-40 slots between celebi and treecko which can be used for pokémon that are never registered in the pokédex even if you battle them so you could for example make a lvl 100 garchomp for cynthia with all base stats risen by 50 if you need a challenge :D Which is what I'd recommend for the asker of the question too:
Just add the dark pokémon on slot 252 with altered stats (maybe ability etc. too) and you'll get the challenge you need :)

And the last thing as level doesn't influence the catch rate (which is why mew lvl 7 isn't that easy to catch in RBY) even lvl 255 caterpies will propably be caught with the first pokéball at full hp :)
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:03 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchokoInc View Post
there are about 30-40 slots between celebi and treecko which can be used for pokémon that are never registered in the pokédex even if you battle them
25, not 30-40.

Quote:
And the last thing as level doesn't influence the catch rate (which is why mew lvl 7 isn't that easy to catch in RBY) even lvl 255 caterpies will propably be caught with the first pokéball at full hp
Wrong. Level DOES make a difference. I can tell you that from having looked at the code. So the code would need modified, because the way it's written it assumes a max level of 100, which would make Pokémon impossible to catch without using a Master Ball.
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:57 AM
Agastya
Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.

Quote:
you could for example make a lvl 100 garchomp for cynthia with all base stats risen by 50 if you need a challenge :D
that is not challenge

that is asking the player to use toxic and full restores

one day you guys will understand how this game works
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Shiny Quagsire
どないやねん, ヤドン

Nature: Jolly
Pokemon over lv 100 is possible, but it would take more than changing a few 100's to another max level, since a lot of mechanics involve levels. However, even if you do get it over 100, the game has to have an altered experience gain or a VERY long storyline.

Old January 9th, 2013, 08:55 PM
NintendoBoyDX
Togepi

The main things needing changing would be the damage formula, the catch rate/stay in ball formula(s), and all the formulas for each stat. I have all of these documented somewhere on my computer, just can't find them.

After that you'd probably want to have tools for editing all the data for pokemon over lvl 100 (attacks, evolutions etc.). Butfor what?

I don't think the lvl cap needs to be any higher. Lower, if anything. But by all means.
Old May 11th, 2013, 02:25 PM
KururuMan
Advanced Hacker

I have also been wondering about this and i think leveling up pokemon past lv100 could be very useful. You would have to have a lv255 cap and calculate stat changes somehow. I was thinking about this earlier and noticed you could use a gameshark cheat and SAVEit to the game.
I am a hacker/spriter/coder/mapper/text editor

Old February 17th, 2014, 11:41 AM
reisyukaku

I've been trying to do this too. I managed to find the level check for the exp bar, but not the one for actually gaining exp or anything. I really wanted to do this because it'd make for a fun run through.

Old February 18th, 2014, 02:21 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
I would also like to make sure that everyone knows that without changing all learned move structure over to Jambo's structure, learned moves wouldn't happen over 127.

As Jambo and shiny have said, the game assumes level 100 for everything: Exp, damage, catch rate etc. Not to mention, your Pokemon will never be able to be traded to another hack unless they have the exact same changes.

/personal opinion: Just split your hack into two games. It is honestly more fun that way. Long story lines can be great and all, but most people have trouble finishing one hack with a level cap of 100, try having one up to 255.

Paired with Simba
Old February 18th, 2014, 03:02 PM
reisyukaku

I don't really care about learning moves over 100, or anything more than just stat boosts. I also dont plan on building a game off of this. I just want to do it for funnsies, and like anything else I hack, just to say I did it. But most of all it'd be amusing sweeping the elite 4 with a lvl 120 charizard or something.

Old March 9th, 2014, 08:30 PM
cjcman95

Nature: Calm
LOL this would be a sweet thing to have. I always wanted my pokemon to go past 100

Last edited by cjcman95; March 9th, 2014 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Changing what i want it to say
Old March 10th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Chaos_Darkrai

This would be a great thing to do for just the opponents! The player's level cap would still be 100, but the opponents' cap would be over that. Just to buff 'em up. Would be good to do something like this for Pokemon Trainer Red. Would there be any good way to keep the player's Pokemon from going over 100, but the opponents to go over 100? I know KarateKid mentioned 127, that would be a good level cap, assuming the player's Pokemon can't go over 100.
░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
Il███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..

If you're looking for a good time, or just want to chat, come over to Weloxux and I's channel at:
http://mibbit.com/?server=irc.mibbit...%23Dragons_Den

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here