The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:13 PM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful

Advertise here
Probably the first and original one. Idk why, just thought it had a better plot than the other two.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old December 1st, 2012, 09:40 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
I think I like all three equally for different reasons
Old December 1st, 2012, 09:57 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIFORCE89 View Post
I think I like all three equally for different reasons
....care to elaborate, good sir?
Old December 1st, 2012, 10:08 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
....care to elaborate, good sir?
Well, damn. I was feeling lazy. But, okay.

I like the original partly because of nostalgia, partly because of its groundbreakingness, and partly because it was good. The writing was smart.

I found the second one to be funnier. I prefer normal Buzz to the one who thinks he's an actual space ranger, so that was a plus too. I liked the introduction of Jessie and the whole Woody's Roundup backdrop

With the third one I appreciated the tone and mood. It was more emotional too. And I think it really wrapped everything up well, it respected the series and the audience.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:02 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Quote:
I found the second one to be funnier. I prefer normal Buzz to the one who thinks he's an actual space ranger, so that was a plus too. I liked the introduction of Jessie and the whole Woody's Roundup backdrop
Yes! Buzz as a normal toy with a personality outside of being a space ranger was much preferred in my eyes to the Buzz Lightyear who is nothing but a space ranger with a life crisis, lol. Plus, the matured friendship of Buzz and Woody added a lot more to their characters in the second movie, truly being best buddies and what not.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:08 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
Why would you want to salt the entire earth? That means your crops would get ravaged too!
I would rather see my entire village starve than have anybody tarnish the name of the perfect Harry Potter series.

Also, I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack!

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old December 5th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Hey, guys! Did you hear that Shingeki no Kyojin is getting an anime? Can't wait to see potato-chan animated.

Old December 8th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
I would rather see my entire village starve than have anybody tarnish the name of the perfect Harry Potter series.

Also, I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack!
Well I guess that means that I'm starving villages in a way then by saying Harry Potter is boring.

Old December 8th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmotone8 View Post
Well I guess that means that I'm starving villages in a way then by saying Harry Potter is boring.
Why is Harry Potter boring to you?
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:48 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Yes, I can't stand the Harry Potter series after a few books. The same pattern of going to school, having an adventure, encountering and barely escaping Voldemort, and then going home gets really old really fast.

Old December 9th, 2012, 04:50 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

You, sir, are dead to me.

Old December 9th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed

Oh, you'd better run, Cosmotone8!
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Argh I really really just wanna

Old December 9th, 2012, 05:04 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Quote:
Yes, I can't stand the Harry Potter series after a few books. The same pattern of going to school, having an adventure, encountering and barely escaping Voldemort, and then going home gets really old really fast.
r u kidding me.........................
that is by far the most ignorant view of the series i have seen lol
Old December 9th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

That's nice of you. :P
Also blowing me up doesn't prove a point as to why Harry Potter is a good series.
EDIT: I've read through book five and everyone else has spoiled the rest of the series. It's not ignorant if its true ;>.<
Name one book where Harry doesn't barely escape from either Voldemort himself or one of Voldemort's minons.

Old December 9th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Quote:
It's not ignorant if its true ;>.<
Name one book where Harry doesn't barely escape from either Voldemort himself or one of Voldemort's minons.
it's ignorant if it's ignorant???????????????????????

That's the point of the series, Harry facing off against Voldemort and his minions, what are you trying to get at? You're claiming the series is boring because he's facing off against his greatest enemy and surviving every time? What did you want Harry to do, change course and create a new vendetta against a new mortal enemy just for you?
Old December 9th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Blowing you up certainly doesn't prove that Harry Potter is a good series, it just serves to make me feel better. I don't need to prove to you that Harry Potter is a good series. It's not even a matter of opinion, it's a worldwide acknowledged fact. JK Rowling spent 17 years proving it to you, it would be a disservice to her work not to let it speak for itself.

What you're doing though, is oversimplifying the books into a shadow of what they are so that they can fit into a formula that you can pass off as boring. If you have no interest in the intricacies of the books beyond that nuts-and-bolts shell you've created to house your opinion on them, then there's nothing I can do for you.

Old December 9th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Besides, those "patterns" are suppose to build up the hype for the final battle between Harry and Voldemort in The Deathly Hollows.
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

pinkie-dawn gets us pinkie-dawn is a cool raw poster with deep harry potter knowledge
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Esper

Personally I felt the last book was not so great. In the company of myself I call it Harry Potter and the Overly Long Camping Trip.

But really, as a book series I think it's best enjoyed in the company of others so that you can share in the story. It's like going to a movie with friends. You can talk about it after. I think that's the best part of the books. Without that, I don't know if I'd have gone through the effort of finishing them so I can see why, at this point and time, someone wouldn't really care for them.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 11th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is quite possibly the best movie I have seen this quarter. I won't say "this year" in a year that included The Avengers and Young Adult, but it was freaking amazing.

Funny, touching, moving, deep, insightful. I was hit by a truckload of feels.

Also Emma Watson.

Old December 11th, 2012, 07:19 AM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Personally I felt the last book was not so great. In the company of myself I call it Harry Potter and the Overly Long Camping Trip.

But really, as a book series I think it's best enjoyed in the company of others so that you can share in the story. It's like going to a movie with friends. You can talk about it after. I think that's the best part of the books. Without that, I don't know if I'd have gone through the effort of finishing them so I can see why, at this point and time, someone wouldn't really care for them.
I don't know. I got through the first four books when I was the only one reading this series at my school. I think one person was reading book 5, but I waited a couple of weeks for school to end until I picked it up.

In high school, I knew others who read the books. But it didn't strengthen my appreciation of the books. Also, a couple were diehard fans and I had no idea what they were talking about most of the time.

I simply liked to read them. I liked reading on my terms. I enjoyed the movies. But I was never fanatical on either account.

The books are classics and they were fun to read.
Old December 11th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Esper

Quote:
I don't know. I got through the first four books when I was the only one reading this series at my school. I think one person was reading book 5, but I waited a couple of weeks for school to end until I picked it up.

In high school, I knew others who read the books. But it didn't strengthen my appreciation of the books. Also, a couple were diehard fans and I had no idea what they were talking about most of the time.

I simply liked to read them. I liked reading on my terms. I enjoyed the movies. But I was never fanatical on either account.

The books are classics and they were fun to read.
I think you must have enjoyed the books more than I do then. Maybe I'm just a snob, but there are a lot of things I've enjoyed which I know aren't that great and which I enjoy more because I'm sharing them with people. I think that's the primary enjoyment I get out of at least 50% of the things I read/watch/play.

Not that I'm saying HP isn't good (because Andy would, I dunno, set my hair on fire or something), but there are a lot of other series I've read that I enjoyed on my own and would read again (like Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials books). I don't really feel like I'll pick up HP for a long time, if ever.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 11th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Quote:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is quite possibly the best movie I have seen this quarter. I won't say "this year" in a year that included The Avengers and Young Adult, but it was freaking amazing.

Funny, touching, moving, deep, insightful. I was hit by a truckload of feels.

Also Emma Watson.
You had me at Emma Watson.

I wanted to see Wallflower but never had the chance. Gotta go see Silver Linings Playbook too.
Old December 11th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Quote:
Blowing you up certainly doesn't prove that Harry Potter is a good series, it just serves to make me feel better. I don't need to prove to you that Harry Potter is a good series. It's not even a matter of opinion, it's a worldwide acknowledged fact. JK Rowling spent 17 years proving it to you, it would be a disservice to her work not to let it speak for itself.

What you're doing though, is oversimplifying the books into a shadow of what they are so that they can fit into a formula that you can pass off as boring. If you have no interest in the intricacies of the books beyond that nuts-and-bolts shell you've created to house your opinion on them, then there's nothing I can do for you.
I do appreciate the character's stories woven together, and how each character has their own backstory and whatnot, but you don't even get into most of these "intricacies of the books" until number 6 or 7. Also, the whole idea of escaping death every time bugs me. People are going to die, sorry to say, if the odds are stacked against them one-million to one, even in the first couple books. Oh, and once someone (Harry) does die, he comes back to life. Yes, I understand this is a fiction book involving magic, but coming back to life always bugs me because its so unnatural. You're dead, now stay dead.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here