The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 9th, 2012, 03:36 AM
The_Consumer

In Generation II, what tiers are Dunsparce and Qwilfish in? Are they UU..?
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:35 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Consumer View Post
Yes, both are in the UU tier.
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Synerjee
A madman with a box.

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Consumer View Post
Dunsparce is in the NU tier whereas Qwilfish is in the RU tier. (I believe this is right.)

Hope this helps. :)

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family
Old December 9th, 2012, 12:48 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by synerjee View Post
Dunsparce is in the NU tier whereas Qwilfish is in the RU tier. (I believe this is right.)

Hope this helps. :)
That is in the 5th generation, they are in UU in the 2nd generation, which is the lowest tier of the generation. NU and RU do not exist in the 2nd generation.
Old December 11th, 2012, 02:07 PM
ElementChaoz
Elementician

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to ElementChaoz
Hey all, its been awhile since i've played R/B/Y and I decided to start playing them again, now I remember I was to take all my time to leveling each pokemon i got to a certain lvl so i could have them all even in level, but now i'm playing again, and wondering, at the beginning should I just lvl up certain pokemon until i reach a certain point then just lvl up the rest later on if and when i need certain others?
Gold: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
Silver: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
Crystal: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
Ruby: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
Sapphire: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
Emerald: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
FireRed: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
LeafGreen: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
Diamond: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Don't Own)
Pearl: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Don't Own)
Platinum: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Don't Own)
HeartGold: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Don't Own)
SoulSilver: Started (0 Badges) - (Own: 1 / Seen: 2) - (12/25/12) (ROM/EMU on PC) (Don't Own)
Black: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Don't Own)
White: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Don't Own)
Black 2: Not Started (Don't Own)
White 2: Not Started (Don't Own)
Old December 11th, 2012, 04:24 PM
KitsuneLugia96
Trainer Silver

That is what I did when I played Red and Yellow recently. Before every gym I would level up my Pokemon to a certain level so that the gyms would be a lot easier. Before I battled Brock, I made sure all my Pokemon were level 15. Before Misty, I made sure they were level 25, and so on. It does take a lot of time, but it makes gym leaders easy to beat.

POKEMON SILVER SHADOWS
Pokemon Hack Series - Silver's Journeys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zADnU40NuYw&feature=plcp
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:26 PM
ElementChaoz
Elementician

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to ElementChaoz
I mean like, i'm right at the 2nd Gym with Misty, and lvl'ing up the 6 pokemon I do have on hand in the grass area outside town, now should I just concentrate on certain pokemon I would need for every area and every gym or lvl up all the pokemon I have, or just lvl up pokemon i currently own as needed if i need them?
Gold: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
Silver: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
Crystal: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
Ruby: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
Sapphire: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
Emerald: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
FireRed: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
LeafGreen: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Own It)
Diamond: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Don't Own)
Pearl: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Don't Own)
Platinum: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Don't Own)
HeartGold: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Don't Own)
SoulSilver: Started (0 Badges) - (Own: 1 / Seen: 2) - (12/25/12) (ROM/EMU on PC) (Don't Own)
Black: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Don't Own)
White: Not Started (ROM/EMU on PC) (Don't Own)
Black 2: Not Started (Don't Own)
White 2: Not Started (Don't Own)
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Sydian
you burn with us

Nature: Timid
I like to have a team planned that I will take with me to the Elite Four, and train only those Pokemon. Try planning a nice, balanced team. I don't have trouble going through the game that way. Sometimes it takes a while before I have my full team assembled, but that's okay, because it's harder to train a full team so early on.

Though I don't know a lot of people that play the games the same. I think you'll just have to find a way that works for you. How I play the games now took a long time to get to, actually.

paired to peeta
Old December 24th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Fearow_Fan
Unhatched Egg

Is there a way to tell how the various stats of a given Pokemon will look at any given level for generations that don't have the 'Nature' quality?

Example:

In my Red game, I caught a level 4 Kakuna (gotta love those 'catch it before it should exist' encounters!) and I'm planning to level it to 99 and then let it evolve to Beedrill at 100 so I have a slower but higher defense version of it.

However, at level 64 with it right now and it's really starting to take its toll on me and I have trouble judging whether or not it will have a significant enough change in stat allocation to make it worth continuing.

So, again, any way to punch in what a Pokemon will look like, statwise, when there aren't things like their nature to worry about (since again, this is Gen 1 for my example)?
Old December 24th, 2012, 02:53 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearow_Fan View Post
Is there a way to tell how the various stats of a given Pokemon will look at any given level for generations that don't have the 'Nature' quality?

Example:

In my Red game, I caught a level 4 Kakuna (gotta love those 'catch it before it should exist' encounters!) and I'm planning to level it to 99 and then let it evolve to Beedrill at 100 so I have a slower but higher defense version of it.

However, at level 64 with it right now and it's really starting to take its toll on me and I have trouble judging whether or not it will have a significant enough change in stat allocation to make it worth continuing.

So, again, any way to punch in what a Pokemon will look like, statwise, when there aren't things like their nature to worry about (since again, this is Gen 1 for my example)?
There really isn't any way to know, as I'm assuming you haven't recorded what Pokémon you have defeated with Kakuna. Also evolving Kakuna into Beedrill at lv100 compared to lv10 will make no difference to stats in the long run if you defeat the same Pokémon. Kakuna's defence will drop when it evolves into Beedrill.
Old December 24th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Fearow_Fan
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
There really isn't any way to know, as I'm assuming you haven't recorded what Pokémon you have defeated with Kakuna. Also evolving Kakuna into Beedrill at lv100 compared to lv10 will make no difference to stats in the long run if you defeat the same Pokémon. Kakuna's defence will drop when it evolves into Beedrill.
Ack. Darn.

I've been *mostly* repeating the Elite Four and not even swapping out at every single new Pokemon sent out since I'm also leveling a couple of others on my team (Fearow and Mew, yay for Nugget Bridge prompt/glitch thing).

I only have Red and Silver so my knowledge is pretty limited in how everything works since I play these in bursts, not actively. Actually, have to restart Silver, now that I think about it since it's been so long and my previous game save no longer exists...gah! So many ideas and cross-referencing for future endevours running through my head and I have no clue if anything will work now.

Either way, thank you for the information. It certainly put a damper on my plans so I guess for kicks and giggles I'll just level Kakuna up to 100 with no evolution to Beedrill.

Since I've gotten THIS far with it, if its defense will just convert down if I evolve it, may as well be able to say I grinded out one of the worst things possible in this particular version. I wonder if it's even worse than leveling a Magikarp to 100 due to what I would at least presume to be more experience required.

Huh. Food for thought. Any-gosh-darn-whoo...again, thank you for the reply. =)
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:03 AM
HJGF
Unhatched Egg

Hello I'm new here and I have this little question. Has anyone seen this Pokemnon catridge before? I think it's not official but it works just as the official one. I also read somewhere that it was something like a pirate Vietnamesse version but no it's actually fully on english and everything is 0k. What are your thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121228_124733.jpg‎ (857.0 KB, 16 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old December 28th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Sydian
you burn with us

That's definitely a fake or a bootleg. It's not the real Crystal Version. If it's in English, it's probably a bootleg. And if you have the Vietnamese bootleg, you're in for a treat...it's fully English, but translated so badly that it's hilarious. Have fun if that's the case...totally jealous if it is lol.

If it's comprehendible English though (boo!), it's just some run of the mill bootleg. idk what to tell you really. If you don't like having these, I suggest not buying them online and instead buying used old games from a local gaming store, like Replays if you have any wherever you are.

paired to peeta
Old December 29th, 2012, 09:19 AM
DeviLuke.Velia
Unhatched Egg

I'm playing Crystal Version, and have some questions which i can't seem to find anywhere on the net.

Does Max Repel repels all the pokemons whose lvl is below the lead pokemon in your party?

How can i catch Raikou, the last Legendary dogs left, when it always fled before i could use any abilities? I had already used Masterball for Entei.

Will Lugia and Ho-oh flee like Raikou? What's their lvl? Is there a map of the cave where Lugia reside in so i can find my way inside?

Can i enter the Safari Zone in Fuschia? If i can, what do i have to do so i can enter?

Your replies are much appreciated.
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Luigi-San
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Luigi-San Send a message via Skype™ to Luigi-San
Lugia and Ho-Oh don't flee.

To prevent Raikou from fleeing, use Mean Look or Spider Web on it.

And the only way to enter the Kanto Safari Zone is by using a cheat device, since although there is a warp for it, you can't walk on the tile it's on.

Old December 29th, 2012, 03:36 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviLuke.Velia View Post
I'm playing Crystal Version, and have some questions which i can't seem to find anywhere on the net.

Does Max Repel repels all the pokemons whose lvl is below the lead pokemon in your party?

How can i catch Raikou, the last Legendary dogs left, when it always fled before i could use any abilities? I had already used Masterball for Entei.

Will Lugia and Ho-oh flee like Raikou? What's their lvl? Is there a map of the cave where Lugia reside in so i can find my way inside?

Can i enter the Safari Zone in Fuschia? If i can, what do i have to do so i can enter?

Your replies are much appreciated.
Repels prevent Pokémon at a lower level than your lead Pokémon from appearing.

Common Pokémon used to trap the Legendary beasts are Crobat and Gengar because they're fast and learn Mean Look.

They won't flee and are at lv60.

No you cannot enter the Safari Zone through normal gameplay.

It's a bit rough but here's a map of Whirl Islands:
Spoiler:
Old December 30th, 2012, 11:47 AM
DeviLuke.Velia
Unhatched Egg

Thanks for all the informations and stuffs! I have no idea what the map was about but it would provide a rough idea of how i should walk, thanks alot.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:20 PM
MattyJ
Serial Procrastinator

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementChaoz View Post
Hey all, its been awhile since i've played R/B/Y and I decided to start playing them again, now I remember I was to take all my time to leveling each pokemon i got to a certain lvl so i could have them all even in level, but now i'm playing again, and wondering, at the beginning should I just lvl up certain pokemon until i reach a certain point then just lvl up the rest later on if and when i need certain others?
I've always tried to level up my Pokemon pretty evenly, but mostly have just gone about it 'naturally', without too much grinding. For example, using one or two key Pokemon in a gym, they get stronger, so then at the start of the next area (or if I catch a new Pokemon), I set them at the front of my party, and switch out at the start of all battles until they are ready to start competing with the level of trainers/wild Pokemon around.
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Liquid Halo
Tortured Vampire

Nature: Lonely
Heylo.

I randomly started a new game on my crystal cartridge TWO DAYS ago and when I started it just now at 10 til 3pm PST it's night in the game. Apparently only 4 hours have passed on my poke-watch since I begun the game.

It makes sense that this would have something to do with how old this cartridge is, it's VERY old. Is there by chance still something that can be done?

(BTW how does it take me two days to realize this problem you must be wondering? This happens to be the first time since starting this file it that I turned the game on in the day).

My screenshot album
http://pinterest.com/darknesswithin/pokemon-games/
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:25 PM
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

The game's clock acting up is the first sign that the battery in your cart is running out of juice. Pretty soon your file will be gone and you won't be able to save anymore.

Besides opening the cart and replacing the battery, there's not much you can do.

Friend codes:
Electric-type Safari: 4468-2370-5617 (Electrode - Pikachu - Galvantula) | Dark-type Safari: 1134-8222-3179 (Nuzleaf - Cacturne - Liepard)
PM before adding. If you don't mention which code you added, I will NOT add you back.
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:33 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Is your play time four hours? I got my Crystal's battery replaced the other day and time only advances when the game is on.
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:56 PM
SaniOKh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
I got my Crystal's battery replaced the other day and time only advances when the game is on.
Are you sure it was Crystal? I observed this behavior in GBA games, where save files are written in flash memory and the battery only serves to run the internal clock. But GB/GBC games use batteries to save the game too, instead of using flash memory, they use RAM, which is constantly kept powered on by the internal batteries, the same batteries that, in GSC also run the internal clock.

...and while typing this I realized how this could be possible in Crystal. There is a small piece on the left side of the cart's circuit, I forgot what it's called, but it basically acts like a metronome, counting seconds while the game is not being played, and the cart uses it for its internal clock. It might have been damaged while replacing the battery.

I replaced the internal batteries in all Gen 1,2 and 3 carts using this procedure: http://victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=2044 . They are in perfect working condition now, with the internal clock running as it should. I obviously had to start my Gen 1 and 2 save files over though.
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Liquid Halo
Tortured Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaniOKh View Post
The game's clock acting up is the first sign that the battery in your cart is running out of juice. Pretty soon your file will be gone and you won't be able to save anymore.

Besides opening the cart and replacing the battery, there's not much you can do.
Awww crud. I'll lose my Shiny gastly.

My screenshot album
http://pinterest.com/darknesswithin/pokemon-games/
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:59 PM
SaniOKh

Unless you can trade it to another game before replacing the battery, sadly yes :/ .

I've heard some people managed to keep their save files by replacing the battery while the game was in a powered up Gameboy, but if it's your first time changing the battery, it won't be as easy, because the original battery is soldered in four tiny spots. I used a cutter to extract the batteries from my GB/GBC carts, and Crystal's battery was the hardest to extract. Plus, you know, electricity can be dangerous.

Friend codes:
Electric-type Safari: 4468-2370-5617 (Electrode - Pikachu - Galvantula) | Dark-type Safari: 1134-8222-3179 (Nuzleaf - Cacturne - Liepard)
PM before adding. If you don't mention which code you added, I will NOT add you back.

Last edited by SaniOKh; January 17th, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old February 16th, 2013, 06:13 PM
charcharx3
Unhatched Egg

Is there any disadvantages to doing the Mew glitch in pokemon blue? (in other words, any complications?)
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links