The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Shdwj
Excuse me?

Advertise here
Not gonna lie: I'm very surprised no one has commented on these yet. Great job with the Nami sig, sharpening here and there. Nice use of lighting in that sig as well as the last Dante sig. The brushes you used turned out really nice. Overall, I like the style you shot for here. However, the lighting in the large Bayonetta piece is bothering me. It seems a little too bright by her legs. I hope that helps a little. I need to work on my GFX as well, so I'm not really sure if I'm one to give a critique at the moment. But anyway, I like your work. Keep up the great work. :>

| Ongoing series: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 Multiplayer |
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
I'm just as surprised as the above poster! These are fantastic!

I really really adore that last banner - the positioning and sharpening is pretty spot on and extremely nice on my eyes~! I'm also a huge fan of the typography style here, that "grainy" look on it complements the entire image very well.

All-in-all I think you're quite excellent at what you do; your typography is, to me, one of your strongest points. n_n I'd absolutely adore to see more icons though, as it seems your thread is relatively banner/larger image-based.

pair clubs
family twin
my star
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Thunder_Chad

mmm honey this is some beautiful artwork. I just love the anime theme and I love the fact that you blended it with your own natural talents and ideas. Definitely a 10/10 from me. I agree with the others, there's little to be improved except on the last banner I think that his cloak could be a bit more darker red to show the brooding implications of his dire situation.
Old August 26th, 2012, 02:14 PM
abnegation
adventure

Man you really have come a long way. I love where your work has gone to. I can still see how heavily you are influenced by Siggy though, I'd like to see you take your own direction. That's your one big flaw, you're following still. Try some new things, be adventurous. Study some new styles, it will help you as an artist. I love that first LP also, using multiple stocks in a large piece is a very good thing to practice.
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:19 AM
derozio
my ghost is whispering to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shdwj View Post
Not gonna lie: I'm very surprised no one has commented on these yet. Great job with the Nami sig, sharpening here and there. Nice use of lighting in that sig as well as the last Dante sig. The brushes you used turned out really nice. Overall, I like the style you shot for here. However, the lighting in the large Bayonetta piece is bothering me. It seems a little too bright by her legs. I hope that helps a little. I need to work on my GFX as well, so I'm not really sure if I'm one to give a critique at the moment. But anyway, I like your work. Keep up the great work. :>
So glad you liked it! :D
And yeah, I messed up the lighting quite a bit in that bayo LP. I'll probably modify it and post it later here. Orr..maybe make a new one. In either case, I'll be glad if you offer your feedback again, mate! :D And thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirno View Post
I'm just as surprised as the above poster! These are fantastic!

I really really adore that last banner - the positioning and sharpening is pretty spot on and extremely nice on my eyes~! I'm also a huge fan of the typography style here, that "grainy" look on it complements the entire image very well.

All-in-all I think you're quite excellent at what you do; your typography is, to me, one of your strongest points. n_n I'd absolutely adore to see more icons though, as it seems your thread is relatively banner/larger image-based.
Haha, Gav and Massimo always told me typography was very weak. lol I never got complimented for my typography either. You're probably the first, haha! Anyway, thank you SO much! <3; It means a lot. And yeah, I'll try to post as many icons as possible. I'm not good at those but..ehh. I'll give 'em a try. ;P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chad View Post
mmm honey this is some beautiful artwork. I just love the anime theme and I love the fact that you blended it with your own natural talents and ideas. Definitely a 10/10 from me. I agree with the others, there's little to be improved except on the last banner I think that his cloak could be a bit more darker red to show the brooding implications of his dire situation.
Well, I felt making it a little more snappy might work in the favour of the tag. The red coat, I mean. But yeah, cool. I'll edit it up and see how the result turns out [that is, if I still have the .psd. Might've deleted it :(]. Thank you, by the way! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnegation View Post
Man you really have come a long way. I love where your work has gone to. I can still see how heavily you are influenced by Siggy though, I'd like to see you take your own direction. That's your one big flaw, you're following still. Try some new things, be adventurous. Study some new styles, it will help you as an artist. I love that first LP also, using multiple stocks in a large piece is a very good thing to practice.
I swear Gav, this is the first time you haven't ripped my works apart (in a good way, of course. So that I can improve!). As soon as I saw your reply, I was on cloud nine, or something like that. Anyway, yeah, I need to build my own identity. I know. Moo has been telling me that for quite a while but I can't seem to break myself away from this current style. I've told Moo countless times that I'll experiment but, in the end, I end up making stuff that belongs to this very style. I can't seem to make anything innovative.

But yeah, I'll still try. No promises, though!

Anyway, these thingies here were WIPs when I abandoned 'em. I'll probably make something totally different. I abandoned 'em because I realized while working on 'em that I was merely trying stuff out which I'm already confident about/familiar stuff. I wanna experiment now. So yeah.

Old October 27th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Crusher
Hell yeah, I'm sexy.

Nature: Brave
I guess I can still update this, no? [thisizderobtw]

Updates:

v1

v2

The one below, even though it may not really be very good, is something I'm proud of. It is the first work of mine in which I did the coloring myself.

Stock:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Crusher; October 27th, 2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old November 12th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Galukxy
→Not someday.Today is the day.

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via AIM to Galukxy Send a message via Skype™ to Galukxy
Gosh, you've gotten a lot better and I mean ALOT better now.
I've always loved your graphics and I can't wait to see more of them because they're interesting and unique. The tones, the flow and the lighting on some of them are really nice. I also love your recent One Piece pieces, too. Fantastic job, keep it up.

DA||MAL || Portfolio

Old November 15th, 2012, 09:26 PM
derozio
Community Supporter

Thanks a lot, Galukxy, really means a lot. <3;

Alright, after SOOO much time, I've finally made a tag unlike any I've ever made. I'm happy with the outcome, regardless of its flaws..
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:14 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

My first bump in a while. Lack of love in the form of comments hurts. :(

Those are from my shop. Thought I'd post them here since this is the place where I'll get proper CnC on them.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:55 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

Yeah, more stuff from my shop:

And something I just made for myself. Not as good as I wanted it to be. :<

And an icon I'm kinda happy with.
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:54 AM
q_byrd03

Nature: Adamant
omg wow Derozio those arts are impressive . I really love the coloring and text styles!
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:03 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

Thanks a bunch, bro! I'm really glad to hear you like 'em! <3;

Not particularly proud of the crash bandicoot ones but w/e.

Last edited by derozio; December 10th, 2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
I adore your works Derozio, incredibly aesthetically pleasing and the way you incorporate the text is so funky and fun! Whenever I drop by PC every once in a blue moon, I always stop by to see your updates!

I do think that sometimes you get a bit of a fluctuation in quality-- but I'd personally attribute that to your choice in stock. Perhaps be more careful in the future of what you choose to build your tags around? ;v;; The problem strikes particularly to me in the "If I could go away with the music" tag-- the quality of the effects is too smooth in comparison to the quality of the stock.

My favorites of yours are probably the Gintoki tag (though admittedly his hair is a tad oversharpened for my tastes and the tag is a little overdone, which detracts from the focal and makes it hard to know what I'm looking at) and the Luffy tag in your signature right now!

Ultimately I think your works are fantastic, and my only suggestion to you is, again, be more careful with the smoothness of your stock vs. the smoothness of your effects. If they clash to much, it can make it look like your stock is LQ! ;7;; You could always play around with different styles to match more with the quality of your stocks, like you did in the Santoryu tag-- that worked out very nicely, and it was a refreshing change of pace from the rest of your gallery!

I hope what I said make sense- good luck, hope to see more soon!
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:32 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

First off, let me say that it is an honor to have one of the old PC legends comment in my gallery. I'm really glad you did that. <3;

And I see. Most of the stuff you've said is completely true. The "if i could.." tag was a forced tag and I didn't really like it all that much. Once I slapped some random c4ds and messed with the colors a bit, I went "eh, leave it. I can't bother with this anymore". It was a request, though, so I HAD to make the tag somehow. :c As for the Gintoki tag, I found out the fact that the hair was over-sharpened after uploading it on PC as my signature. For some reason, Photoshop tends to show images in a different manner in PSDs as compared to the final output. When I was working on the PSD, it didn't seem like there was any problem with the blurring-sharpening so I just saved it. But then it turned out like it did. :[ Anyway, I could've gone ahead and changed it a bit later on but, being the lazy b-tard that I am, I didn't. lol

And yeah, I do plan on playing around with different styles a bit. :D Glad to hear you like the Santoryu tag, too! <3;

------

Update time!

Pretty much my fave icon. I don't think I've made better ones. <3;

^ I fiddled around with the colors a bit more in the second one. :p
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
OH MY GOSH LOL I'm so embarrassed what is this legend business ///// -Really, if anyone between us is legend material it's you! ;7;;

Ahh yeah I once had a friend who had the same problem with oversharpening-- it'd look fine in PS and then as soon as he exported it it'd just look so pixellated... I wonder why that happens....? Also, I had a vague suspicion that the "If I could go away.." tag was a request LOL! Alas, not much that can be done in that case...

But I must agree, your Zoro icon is incredibly adorable-- I saw it when I checked back on this thread and I love it so much! What I think you could do to improve on it next time though is perhaps not use a straight black on "Melon" like you did this time? It really draws the viewers attention in a way that perhaps is a bit detrimental, especially since there's no other area in the icon where such a pure value of black is found. Makes the text too much of a focus IMO! Maybe use that lighter brownish shade of black on his pants next time, so it doesn't draw attention away from zoro and the watermelon so much?

But otherwise love this update, I personally really like the way you work with colors! ;7;;;
Old December 13th, 2012, 03:32 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

Pssh, now that's just wrong. I'm waaay too big of an amateur to be considered any good. :p Why are all the awesome peeps so modest all the time? ;A;

It happens every. darn. time. To compare, I screen-capped two pics. One which I had already saved and other which I was working on. There was quite a lot of difference between their sharpness. Dunno how to deal with that. :[

As for the icon, I've already changed it. Hope it looks better now. :D And thanks again! I get a lot of those "you're good with colors" comments and feel elated everytime. <3;

----
Update!

Change of pace ^ :DDD

Last edited by derozio; December 13th, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old December 13th, 2012, 05:34 PM
moments.
{quixotic}
Community Supporter Tier 5

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/a.../SFAGaslol.png

Quality! D':
The quality brings this tag so much it really doesn't do you justice. The original stock doesn't look too high quality which is never good, but you seem to have used either too many textures, or mainly low quality effects which hurts. The typography is probably some of your better work that I've seen, but I'd move it slightly to the left, just away from the stock. Not too much else to say about this piece really.

Your other tags are really nice though, great colours (as always)!

(sorry this was not monolithically long like all my previous critiques, tired/rusty. <3)

Old December 15th, 2012, 08:23 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

Much appreciated, Moo! And actually, the stock came with some sort of texture over it. It wasn't low quality but was just a little low on the resolution side. The texture probably messes up the quality in your eyes, though I guess. :p And the irony is that it was a stock from your stock pack! lol Moving the text..hmm, thought about that but I thought if I do that, the text might get too far away from the guy. And I didn't want that, I guess. But yeah, just leaving this piece as is. I can't really do much to improve it apart from some blurring, sharpening and some cleaning. Can't be bothered to do all that. :p

And lol, it is alright even if you just post here. Length doesn't matter. Quality does. And you've ensured it is top-notch by pointing out precisely where the errors in my work were. ;] Not to mention, comments are always welcome! :p
Old December 17th, 2012, 05:05 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

Bumping. Because this thread needs attention. :p

^ experiments with smudging.

Old December 18th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Cid
Find your niche.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Cid Send a message via Skype™ to Cid
I really love how gorgeous your graphics look. Seriously, pretty much all your Dante pieces are superb! Plus, even though you're not as free as you should be, and you seem to use a particular consistent style for most of the stuff you produce in your shop, they still look really good (thank you once again for mine). <3

I think my personal favorite element for each of your graphics would have to be the text. They are all sleek, consistently good, and well-placed; and you almost always hit the right fonts whenever you get to that step.

One huge exception for that would be this one though! That is one heck of a tag, probably the best looking out of all of them. Next to the Dante ones and this one I'm wearing right now, of course. It shows that even without text, you still pull through. But yeah they all look really good, and whatever complicated techniques you might have applied to them certainly attest to your skill level as an artist.

For your last two (or four) tags, I really like the second version of each, personally. The first of the four kind of distracts my eyes with the greenish smudge, which I think was remedied when you decided to remove it, because by then my focus snapped back to Mihawk himself. I really like how it turned out both ways though, albeit I feel it's a bit empty compared to your other tags. As for the one you're wearing right now, I like it a lot, too. I really don't know what to think about the top version because Luffy kind of fades in the background, while the stock image sort of suggests that he do otherwise. I think the brighter colors of the bottom version look a little better, although that is just my opinion.

Nevertheless, everything is amazing Derozio! You continue to be my inspiration, so keep up the awesome work.
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Isaac.

Wow, very nice, just one thing you could keep in mind more is lighting.... But other than that they are excellent!

Actually i would love to see a tutorial on some of your techniques!
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:32 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

Thanks for the comments, guys! Really appreciate it! <3; And Cid, you flatter me too much. XD;

Updates!
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Kai™
Unhatched Egg

Woah! I can honestly say I love every single piece in this thread, each one for its own reason! The one piece one's stand a cut above the rest in my opinion One of my favorite things about your art is the colorful swirls in a lot of them, next time I need something artsy I will definitely come to you!

Sig made by Issac.

Last edited by Kai™; December 19th, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old December 20th, 2012, 03:05 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

Thanks a bunch, man. <3;

Update!

First post updated with latest and some old works! :]
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Fairy
the hearing pokémon

Your work is fantastic!

I love this minimalist thing you've been doing with your updates. The negative space with such high contrast in color really makes the subject stand out. And it's still super easy on the eyes too.

Very well done! :]
{pokemon fae} {PM me} {friend code}
{dream address} {TSV} {credit}
mega audino; healer

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here