The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 13th, 2012, 05:36 PM
MissDigitalis
Mime Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post

YAPE doesn't have a way to change which move tutor moves can be taught to Pokemon...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here but... ?

Old December 13th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDigitalis View Post

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here but... ?

Spoiler:
That's which TMs a Pokemon can learn, not which Move Tutor moves can be taught to a Pokemon.
Old December 13th, 2012, 05:50 PM
MissDigitalis
Mime Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
That's which TMs a Pokemon can learn, not which Move Tutor moves can be taught to a Pokemon.
Oh ok. My bad. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old December 14th, 2012, 09:00 AM
raging-inferno-1986
Unhatched Egg

Fire Red question.

I have added npc's that give the player the Mystic and Aurora tickets, but how can i get the sailor in Vermillion to notice i have them?

Thank you.
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:51 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by raging-inferno-1986 View Post
Fire Red question.

I have added npc's that give the player the Mystic and Aurora tickets, but how can i get the sailor in Vermillion to notice i have them?

Thank you.

Just looking at the script, for the Mystic Ticket to work, flag 0x2F0 needs to be clear. For the Aurora Ticket, flag 0x2F1 needs to be clear. So, just clear those flags when the item is given and you should be all set.

Last edited by karatekid552; December 14th, 2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old December 15th, 2012, 11:36 AM
raging-inferno-1986
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Just looking at the script, for the Mystic Ticket to work, flag 0x2F0 needs to be clear. For the Aurora Ticket, flag 0x2F1 needs to be clear. So, just clear those flags when the item is given and you should be all set.
Thank you, very helpful..
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Nara567
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Careful
I've inserted about 30 new sprites so far, and then I get to a Drapion sprite, and it breaks.

What I mean by that is, when I look at it in-game, it's not a Drapion. At first, it's a blank sprite. However, I went to another Pokemon (Lucario, in this case) and back to Drapion. The sprite became that of Lucario's with Drapion's palette.

I'm not sure what happened, since all of the other sprites have worked fine thus far.

Fire Red, if it matters.
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:20 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nara567 View Post
I've inserted about 30 new sprites so far, and then I get to a Drapion sprite, and it breaks.

What I mean by that is, when I look at it in-game, it's not a Drapion. At first, it's a blank sprite. However, I went to another Pokemon (Lucario, in this case) and back to Drapion. The sprite became that of Lucario's with Drapion's palette.

I'm not sure what happened, since all of the other sprites have worked fine thus far.

Fire Red, if it matters.
Just wondering, what are you using to insert these sprites? I've had this problem plenty of times with Pokepic, mostly because I didn't repoint.

Okay, so I'm trying to increase the number of OW's in Pokemon Ruby to 255. So far, I've repointed the first OW table (at 0x36DC58) that is just 217 pointers in a row, (I also changed the single pointer that points to it). I also have repointed the entire table it points to (0x37????, the table that OWERE reads) and then went back to the previous table and changed all of the pointers to match the new ones. Then I expanded both to have 255 values. I also adjusted the .ini in OWERE to the new locations. I can edit the first 217 OW's fine, but as soon as I try to edit the ones 218+, I get a "Error #9; subscript out of range" error message.

I tried to see if it was poor hex coding by me, so, I repointed slot 255 to go to Brandons sprite and it worked fine in the game. However, when I went to look at it, I got the same error message. This leads me to believe that OWERE has a cap on the number of OW's you can have. Is there any way I can remove this?

Last edited by karatekid552; December 21st, 2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Moving post from another thread/ Merging
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Nara567
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Just wondering, what are you using to insert these sprites? I've had this problem plenty of times with Pokepic, mostly because I didn't repoint.
Hacked unLZ.

I'm pretty sure I repointed correctly.
Old December 15th, 2012, 01:43 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nara567 View Post
Hacked unLZ.

I'm pretty sure I repointed correctly.
Okay, I've never used Hacked UnLZ for pokemon sprites, only for title screens, trainers, and recovering broken attacks. For pokemon sprites, the easiest are the Advanced Series Pokemon Sprite Editor or Wichu's Pokemon Sprite Editor.

The problem your having is one that I personally experienced in Chaos Black, the first hack I ever played. When I opened it up with a sprite editor, I found that the sprites in which your particular problem occured, gave the error message "Data not LZZ compressed" and no sprite would be shown.

I would first try a different tool. If you don't want to, that's fine. Then go make sure the image is correct, (64x64, 16 color; every once in a while I would accidently make it 64x65 and that causes problems too). Then just try to insert it again at a new offset.

Last edited by karatekid552; December 15th, 2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: my grammar sucks
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Noossab Blue

Nature: Quirky
What is the easiest way to edit attack descriptions in fire red?

Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

Old December 16th, 2012, 12:49 AM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noossab Blue View Post
If A-text (which I assume is the only text editor you could use) doesn't let you edit more than one description at a time and you would have to search for another one, one after another, don't use it.

I recommend using a hex editor, possibly Translhextion or GoldFinger (I use GF myself but I can't say whether it's really the best hex editor out there, others like WindHex could be better too) and a FireRed table file.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/inde...c,13825.0.html

What you've gotta do is to copy the contents from that site to a notepad file, and change the extension from .txt to .tbl. After you have done this, a hex editor can open up that file and use it for "translating" bytes to the language defined with the contents of the table file.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old December 16th, 2012, 09:42 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
There is a program called Move Editor by FinalZero. It can edit most everything about a move, except animations, including descriptions. I have used it myself and have had no problems so far.

Here is his webpage:

http://jc.tech-galaxy.com/
Old December 18th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Renegade
Time for real life...

I have a question. Hope someone can answer.

How would I go about getting rid of the truck ANIMATION when you start up Pokemon Ruby? I know it's not a level script that is causing the animation to occur, so I'm guessing it involves some ASM hacking. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance!
Old December 18th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Munsie
Unhatched Egg

Soooo I'm brand new to ROM hacking, and having a little bit of trouble understanding how to add events and such. I'm messing around with LeafGreen (I hope this isn't a problem, I don't see many posts referencing it, but I assume it works the same as FireRed). I added a house on Route 1, and was going to include a warp to it's interior...

To test I could even make a working warp, I just wanted it to send you into Oak's Lab back in Pallet Town, so I set the Warp No to 0, Map Bank to 4, Map to 3. File->Save. Then I try to change which map I'm editing, and it keeps prompting me to save the map... I click yes, it just keeps me on Route 1, try to change again: Save? Yes. Back to route 1... I booted the ROM up to test and it most definitely hasn't saved...

Sorry if this is a bit ramble-ish, but I'd like to know why this isn't working, or how to actually save my new event? :x
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Herpahermaderp
I liek Mudkipz

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Herpahermaderp
Ok, I've been repeatedly trying to insert this sprite

Using Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor. Everything goes well when I insert it, it's just when I try to fix the palette's, it crashes. No errors, just closes out the program. It does this with Kapurimon as well. Any ideas on how to make it stop?
Old December 19th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:
Use Pokemon Game Editor or a hex editor or both.

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

If someone can create a Pokémon colosseum remake with graphics and scripting that are very appealing to my eyes I will help them with implementing actual shadow Pokémon.
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:18 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsie View Post
Soooo I'm brand new to ROM hacking, and having a little bit of trouble understanding how to add events and such. I'm messing around with LeafGreen (I hope this isn't a problem, I don't see many posts referencing it, but I assume it works the same as FireRed). I added a house on Route 1, and was going to include a warp to it's interior...

To test I could even make a working warp, I just wanted it to send you into Oak's Lab back in Pallet Town, so I set the Warp No to 0, Map Bank to 4, Map to 3. File->Save. Then I try to change which map I'm editing, and it keeps prompting me to save the map... I click yes, it just keeps me on Route 1, try to change again: Save? Yes. Back to route 1... I booted the ROM up to test and it most definitely hasn't saved...

Sorry if this is a bit ramble-ish, but I'd like to know why this isn't working, or how to actually save my new event? :x
Did you get any type of error message at any point? If not, close Advance Map, (which I'm going to assume your using), open up your game and test it out. If it did indeed save, then it is probably just a small bug that probably won't happen again after you restart Advance Map. If it didn't save, still, just try it again. Also, what version of A-map are you using? The newest one (1.95) was a beta and has a few bugs. If there was a specific error message, its number and description would be appreciated.
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:34 PM
MissDigitalis
Mime Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpahermaderp View Post
Ok, I've been repeatedly trying to insert this sprite

Using Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor. Everything goes well when I insert it, it's just when I try to fix the palette's, it crashes. No errors, just closes out the program. It does this with Kapurimon as well. Any ideas on how to make it stop?
I'm not sure if this is the issue or not but it seems to work better when you insert each one at a time instead of 2 at a time. Either that or you insert all 4 in a single picture. Are you sure that it's sized properly too?

Old December 19th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Munsie
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Did you get any type of error message at any point? If not, close Advance Map, (which I'm going to assume your using), open up your game and test it out. If it did indeed save, then it is probably just a small bug that probably won't happen again after you restart Advance Map. If it didn't save, still, just try it again. Also, what version of A-map are you using? The newest one (1.95) was a beta and has a few bugs. If there was a specific error message, its number and description would be appreciated.
Ty for the reply.

No errors, just won't save for me. I tested in-game and my changes weren't there.

I ended up running 1.92 (via GBA Pokemon Game Editor (super nifty collection of tools, I might add)) and I haven't had any issues adding/removing/changing scripts/warps/events and such. Guess I'll just have to juggle back and forth between versions depending on what I want to do.

Now to dive into the nitty-gritty of scripting, hoorah. :D
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Eveveelution
Unhatched Egg

I am currently working on my first rom hack, and while testing it i found some bugs that I did not know how to repair. (I'm hacking fire red btw)

1) I had set Route 1's pokemon to what i wanted them to be. But at some point when I changed it it gave me some kind of error thing. It went away so I thought nothing of it. But when I went to test what i had done so far the only pokemon there was a Sunflora, randing from level 0 to 100. When i go into advanced map the pokemon i want there are still set there. (the pokemon i wanted there had been there before when i went to go test in game.

Then there is the worse one.
In my version of Viridian city I deleted the man with the PokeTV because anyone that was going to play my ROM would probably already know what to do. But now when I try to leave the city from the north towards the forest, the game freezes and in the backround I can see a sprite pop up that was not there before, and i cant find him on A-Map. I can leave the city from the west without any problems though.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

I am currently working on my first rom hack, and while testing it i found some bugs that I did not know how to repair. (I'm hacking fire red btw)

1) I had set Route 1's pokemon to what i wanted them to be. But at some point when I changed it it gave me some kind of error thing. It went away so I thought nothing of it. But when I went to test what i had done so far the only pokemon there was a Sunflora, ranging from level 0 to 100. When i go into advanced map the pokemon i want there are still set there. (the pokemon i wanted there had been there before when i went to go test in game.

Then there is the worse one.
In my version of Viridian city I deleted the man with the PokeTV because anyone that was going to play my ROM would probably already know what to do. But now when I try to leave the city from the north towards the forest, the game freezes, I can see a sprite pop up that was not there before that is behind me, and i cant find him on A-Map. I can leave the city from the west without any problems though.

Last edited by Eveveelution; December 19th, 2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Terrac
Scrambled Egg

Nature: Quirky
Hi! Me and a friend (fireguy135) are working on a new rom hack (our first official one, but we've had a bit of experience poking around with tools and stuff), and we were wondering, is there any way to delete a map in advancemap without it adding new blank banks and just moving it around? everytime we try to delete a map we end up with extra banks and we don't know what went wrong... any help would be appreciated, thanks! and we're hacking emerald and using advancemap 1.90.
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Pedroizt
Unhatched Egg

How to expand Fire Red Pokedex to 209 Pokemons?
Old December 20th, 2012, 04:59 PM
joexv
The True XV

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to joexv
Ok I'd didn't have time to go through 900 pages of this so I don't know if my question has been answered.
When I edit most maps with advanced map in pokemon ruby it will mess up my game by making it start up with a white screen. I've tried thee hole 128k save file thing and it didn't work. I won't even edit the script and it gets screwed up. All I will do is change the size (sometimes), or add people or just change the ground. On routes an that kind of thing I have no problem with but if I change let's say little root town it screws up. I usually try to put in my own maps and just use that but I can't add the chose pokemon script or the poked script or any other specials without it getting messed up. I would love some help on figuring out why.
Thx in advance!!!!
I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 03:50 AM
TaichiWind
X

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to TaichiWind
What is the offset for the "come out of truck and your mom greets you" script in Pokemon Ruby?

That's right... It's begun again... How long must this war go on?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links