The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVida View Post
So, I was wondering, do you guys know any TV shows, games or movies in which one of the protagonists is gay/bi/trans etc.? (And I don't mean yaoi, yuri or the like.)

For example, I've never really seen a video game where one of the characters seemed to be gay. You always have straight couples which I find kind of boring sometimes. Well, I guess this is due to the great amount of people who don't accept homosexuality but who knows... There might still be exceptions.
You need to get out there more then!

There are lots of shows with LGBT characters. To name a few: Doctor Who, Torchwood, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Degrassi, Glee, Bedlam, and soo many more, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

For video games; Every romance character in Dragon Age 2 is bi, as well as in Dragon Age Origins there are two bi characters that I know of. Mass Effect has a quite a few as well. Skyrim has same sex marriage. Even games like Grand Theft Auto have a few LGBT characters.
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post
UK news!

David Cameron (Prime Minister) has announced that he doesn't want the gay community excluded from faith groups, and will be fighting for the permission of gay marriages (leaving the decisions to each individual priest/whatever).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20642428
It's nice he's trying to be inclusive, but personally I don't like how much he's conflating marriage with religion. Know what I mean? Almost like he's asking churches for their permission to have same-sex marriages. But at least it's something. And as an American it's encouraging to see a political party that calls itself conservative being behind anything in favor of gay people.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 8th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Vintage Arachnid
im always watchin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Vintage Arachnid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVida View Post
So, I was wondering, do you guys know any TV shows, games or movies in which one of the protagonists is gay/bi/trans etc.? (And I don't mean yaoi, yuri or the like.)

For example, I've never really seen a video game where one of the characters seemed to be gay. You always have straight couples which I find kind of boring sometimes. Well, I guess this is due to the great amount of people who don't accept homosexuality but who knows... There might still be exceptions.
LOST GIRL! I'd suggest this show to everyone! I love it. Happy Endings, The New Normal, Chicago Fire, etc. Actually I'll just link you to this Wiki page. Here you go. And here's a list of movies. Movies.

If you want to talk more about it (I like to ramble about these things.) you can always VM me and I can suggest my favorites and what not.

THE EXTREMELY JEALOUS PAIR OF CAREFULWETPAINT
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Uruguay recognizes gay marriage.

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/art...n-gay-marriage

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Esper

Well, not yet it hasn't, but it does look like it's likely to happen.

I'm especially heartened that they've proposed language changes and generally seem to have covered several issues with one law.

Quote:
The bill also would clarify rules for adoption and in-vitro fertilization, and eliminate the words "marido y mujer" (husband and woman) in marriage contracts, refering instead to the gender neutral "contrayentes" (contracting parties).
But this part made me chuckle a little.

Quote:
The naming change seemed to cause the most controversy as the measure came through legislative committees.

In the end, the legislators proposed to let all couples choose which surname comes first for their children.
I had no idea it was normal for people to have two last names.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 12th, 2012, 06:19 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
Turns out you're not born that way:http://sourcefednews.com/theres-no-g...ys-scientists/

This is more or less what I thought to begin with, so I'm not too surprised. Although, I was starting to get comfortable with the idea of being born with it. I don't think it really changes anything one way or another, even if it can be proven 100%, but it's worth a read.

Full study if you want to read it for some reason: http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdfplus/...?acceptTC=true
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon

Old December 12th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

The article makes it sound like you ARE born that way. (Am I reading it incorrectly? Guess I'll need to read the full study later.) So is this saying that people are conceived to be bisexual but these epigenetic markers control which trait is expressed and the other suppressed?

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:26 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Well, I guess it IS saying you were born that way, but that it isn't due to genetics, and that other factors of pregnancy causes it. As far as I can tell anyway... I'm definitely no expert on the subject, haha.

The Volcano Pokemon

Old December 13th, 2012, 01:52 AM
LightningAlex

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
Science is awesome This just proofs something that we all already knew - it's not a freakin' choice!

Old December 13th, 2012, 06:08 AM
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

Nature: Jolly
I think the main factor is your environment. Though I don't know when sexuality becomes permanently established.

Yay my username is accurate now! Also holy crap I just realized Unbeatable was misspelled for the longest time! Fixed. xp

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Old December 13th, 2012, 09:31 AM
TornZero
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
Quote:
Originally Posted by U_Flame View Post
I think the main factor is your environment. Though I don't know when sexuality becomes permanently established.
I always considered that it was established in the womb, since genetic dispositions are out of the question. While traumatic events well after birth could do the trick, I believe that to be just temporary; a side-effect of the traumatic event.

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
It makes me feel bad about being Australian when Uruguay is closer than we are to marriage equality.

As to the "born this way" argument, I've always thought it'd be kind of awesome to pin-point the exact cause of homosexuality. That way, we might be able to find a way to turn people gay! The potential is there. There are a couple of guys I'd like to get my hands on but I can't because they have that annoying fetish for lady parts.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old December 14th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Minato Arisato
Memento mori...

Nature: Quiet
Wow. Just...wow. I had no idea that a single post would turn me from a blubbering, sobbing mess to rolling on the floor in hysterics. You, sir, have made my day.
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Esper

I wanted to post about this when I first read about it, but I wanted to wrap my head around the idea first... and I still haven't. What in the world are epigenetic markers anyway? They were never covered in biology class.

I'm still open about genetic factors, but from what I do understand it is pretty convincing, especially when you think of those cases where you have twins where one is gay and not the other. Or am I just thinking of that one instance where one of the twins ended up being trans? Anyway, I was kinda hoping we'd get to a place where we wouldn't care if someone was gay.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:30 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

My mom got me a birthday card with a giant Dachshund on the cover, that said "Well, you wished for a big wiener didn't you?"

It was so shocking, lol.

The Volcano Pokemon

Last edited by QuilavaKing; December 14th, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I wanted to post about this when I first read about it, but I wanted to wrap my head around the idea first... and I still haven't. What in the world are epigenetic markers anyway? They were never covered in biology class.

I'm still open about genetic factors, but from what I do understand it is pretty convincing, especially when you think of those cases where you have twins where one is gay and not the other. Or am I just thinking of that one instance where one of the twins ended up being trans? Anyway, I was kinda hoping we'd get to a place where we wouldn't care if someone was gay.
Um, from what I understand epigenetics are kind of like the translation of your genes which give rise to phenotypes/traits, without altering DNA. Supposedly these specific markers come from the opposite gendered parent, which causes homosexuality I guess?

So if I understand it correctly, if my mother gives me sass about being gay I can give her the sass right back because its her fault.

Anyways, if someone is biology-savvy please make like a complex carbohydrate and break this down for us.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Fenice

I had a very interesting opportunity to interview someone who identified as a "redneck." Thought I'd share what he had to say.

I think it can either be an overwhelming imbalance of estrogen vs testosterone but I also think that some men/women just prefer the company of a similar mind set and body
pure proof due to seeing buff gays and feminine lesbians
My belief lies on the wrongful denial of any individuals lifestyle or preference

And here's his consent that I asked for xD
Hey do you mind if I shared your opinion on homosexuality with some people. I thought it was an interesting view and wanted to share it
I don't mind at all
I wish more people would be as comfortable
closet casing just leads to unnecessary anger and closeminded people enforce that anger

It's nice to see some openness from a redneck

And I'm a bio major, but I don't exactly get what you want broken down. And I'm a microbiology major, not a geneticist so my information might be lacking in that department :/
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Destructor
Unhatched Egg

I'm back after such a long time but I have the best news of my life. I don't know what happened, but my sister was able to convince my mother to accept me and I've been finally allowed back home. I've been home for two days now and everything seems fine. She even seems happy about it. Not sure why, but at least she isn't being a prick anymore. I'm so happy :')
Old December 15th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Kiyoshi the Polar Bear
Figuratively Speaking

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructor View Post
I'm back after such a long time but I have the best news of my life. I don't know what happened, but my sister was able to convince my mother to accept me and I've been finally allowed back home. I've been home for two days now and everything seems fine. She even seems happy about it. Not sure why, but at least she isn't being a prick anymore. I'm so happy :')
That is unbelievably awesome for you! It's nice to see a little bit of good out of that horrific situation.

I'd be a bit light-footed around the topic, though. If she needed to be convinced to let her own son back into the house over a petty thing like being LGBT, it shouldn't be that hard for her to fall off the rocker again.

Good luck though!
Old December 15th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Lateon
The Eon Follower

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Lateon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lateon Send a message via Yahoo to Lateon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenice View Post
I think it can either be an overwhelming imbalance of estrogen vs testosterone but I also think that some men/women just prefer the company of a similar mind set and body/
I can completely agree with this- I am much more comfortable around women than men.

I think a bunch of things contribute to homosexuality, but I've always wondered if people are just to fast to slap a label on themselves and stick to it. What's wrong with just falling in love with whoever? Just because you love a women doesn't mean you can never love a man. Then again, I'm sappy and believe in soulmates, so there you go.

Forum Activity
Wifi Activity

Currently Working On

Old December 15th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Esper

I don't believe in soulmates, but I do wish we could all just love without labels.

Destructor, I'm really happy for you. :) With a little luck she may come around completely and become an LGBT supporter.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
Aaaaaaa Destructor that is so amazing! I'm so chuffed for you! :D (and I have never used the word 'chuffed' in my life, so that should be a great indicator). Though what I said before still stands - you can now have a confidence that you didn't have before, beacuse you know you have people who will take you in if things go south again. So go forth and enjoy! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf
I don't think scientific research is really indicative of whether people care if someone is gay or not. I'm gay - so of course I don't give a hoot if other people are gay - and I'm still fascinated to know for sure how it happens. There's a curiosity in the human species to know how things came about and how things work, so I don't think this makes the whole "gay thing" a bigger deal than it should be, I just think it's unravelling another of the mysteries of humankind.

Also guys, look what I did!!

Spoiler:

I was gonna let you all know before I did it so you could all watch it happen if you were awake in my timezone when I did it, but the inspiration struck and I just had to do it :D

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old December 19th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Drew
erase the noise.
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I'm here specifically for that spoiler image. XD I saw that on FB and at first had to figure out that it was you, but then once I did I was like ALKJSDKLA. Proud of you, Andy. 8D <3

I enjoyed some of the comments, omg. xD
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Vintage Arachnid
im always watchin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Vintage Arachnid
Awesome sauce Andy!

And I have Pokemon Monopoly too! It's right next to me actually.

THE EXTREMELY JEALOUS PAIR OF CAREFULWETPAINT
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:09 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

I have pokemon monopoly too, and no one to play with. Let me play too Andy! :D

The Volcano Pokemon

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links