The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center > Competitive Team Help

Notices

Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:37 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMirage View Post
then ill go with Donphan, cause i was thinkng of adding Cloyster to my team, as gastrogon isnt weak to eletricly, so it wont make to bad of a double weakness

so dose Donphan learn rapid spin or is that an egg move
It's a level-up move; Donphan learns it at level 6. But considering that Phanpy evolves into Donphan at level 25, and thus making it impossible for a level 6 Donphan to happen, you'll have to go to the Move Relearner in-game and have Donphan relearn Rapid Spin. To let you know, Head Smash and Ice Shard are two of Donphan's egg moves.

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:38 AM
WolfMirage
"Last Raven"

Nature: Bold
so dose Donphan learn rapid spin or is that an egg move. im asking cause according to marriland guide, Phanpy dosnt learn rapid and Phanpy evoles at lv.25 and Donphan learns it at lv.6
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
so dose Donphan learn rapid spin or is that an egg move. im asking cause according to marriland guide, Phanpy dosnt learn rapid and Phanpy evoles at lv.25 and Donphan learns it at lv.6
Donphan does, so you'll need to visit a move relearner as PlatDude explained. They only use a Heart Scale iirc and they'll give you Rapid Spin on it which is the only way to do it.
Old December 8th, 2012, 04:37 PM
kingofbluesteel
Pirate

Nature: Quirky
if i use action replay to catch pokemon will it disqualify me ftom wifi play?
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Cyanide

hey im not exactly sure what my rotom's learnset should be.. im stuck between to
a "trick" rotom
or a "pain split" rotom.

anyway my rotom is a modest nature with an EV spread as the following
252spA
120HP
136spe

first set the "pain split" set!

thunderbolt
overheat
will-o-wisp
pain split

now the trick set
trick
voltswitch
overheat
? (my hidden power is not grass)

id have to change the EV spread for the trick set to 252spa 252speed 4 spD but its not that big of a deal seeing as hes only level27. the TRICK set im worried about getting OHKO by something faster then me. and the pain split set i like but am sceptical because ive never used any sets like the two i have presented before.. feedback/ advice please! thank you

~Cyanide
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Griffinbane
I hate Smeargle.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
kingofbluesteel - If the pokemon is not hacked, no. It tends to be frowned upon though.

White: 1463 5558 5309
X: 2208 5685 5454
- - - -
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Fairy
snappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post
hey im not exactly sure what my rotom's learnset should be.. im stuck between to
a "trick" rotom
or a "pain split" rotom.

anyway my rotom is a modest nature with an EV spread as the following
252spA
120HP
136spe

first set the "pain split" set!

thunderbolt
overheat
will-o-wisp
pain split

now the trick set
trick
voltswitch
overheat
? (my hidden power is not grass)

id have to change the EV spread for the trick set to 252spa 252speed 4 spD but its not that big of a deal seeing as hes only level27. the TRICK set im worried about getting OHKO by something faster then me. and the pain split set i like but am sceptical because ive never used any sets like the two i have presented before.. feedback/ advice please! thank you

~Cyanide
Well, your choice will depend on a few factors. Like, what items do you plan on using? Trick Rotom-H functions best with a Timid nature and Choice Scarf / Specs. So you wouldn't necessarily need to worry about being outpaced by another Pokemon.

But this decision comes down to how Rotom-H will compliment your team. If your team is more balanced, Pain Split Rotom-H will serve you better, being bulkier with semi-reliable recovery and the ability to inflict status. However, if your team is more offense oriented and needs a good offensive pivot, Trick Rotom-H with Choice Scarf / Specs will make a strong revenge killer and makes better use of Overheat than Pain Split Rotom-H.
birthday; september 17th
star sign; virgo
Old December 13th, 2012, 06:14 PM
WolfMirage
"Last Raven"

just wondering if seaking can be competitive with it lighting rod abitilty or is the poke just good for in game teams only
Old December 13th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
just wondering if seaking can be competitive with it lighting rod abitilty or is the poke just good for in game teams only
Yeah not really. It's not even really used in NU, which is the lowest there is other than LC/NFE. It's attack stat is okay but its speed is quite low in comparison to the rest of NU and even its Special Attack isn't really that exciting, and there's not really many viable moves to choose from either. Plus electric types aren't that difficult to defeat, so it doesn't have that many selling points.
Old December 13th, 2012, 06:28 PM
WolfMirage
"Last Raven"

thanks i was just wondering.
Old December 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Satycorn89
Togepi

Hi everyone!
So I guess this is a somewhat different thread than the usual ones you see in here.
I have already beaten the Elite Four and completed the game, well most of it, and now I'm working on creating my Competitive teams. I'm a "perfection" maniac, so I have been thinking about this for a long time, what Pokemon to use and what not. I have already chosen the Pokemon I want to use, but I need your help on deciding which Pokemon to put in a certain team with which other Pokemon.
Here's my list:
-Serperior
-Leafeon
-Haxorus
-Dragonite
-Garchomp
-Probopass
-Chansey
-Umbreon
-Espeon
-Weavile
-Glaceon
-Eelektross
-Gardevoir
-Mamoswine
-Abomasnow
-Braviary
-Togekiss
-Gallade
-Cyndaquil
-Darmanitan
-Tyranitar
-Feraligatr
-Gengar
-Vanilluxe
-Zoroark
-Cranidos
-Scizor
-Mienshao
-Volcarona
-Aggron

There is a total of 30 Pokemon, so that means 5 teams,which will be changed depending on the person I'll play with. I don't want to create type-only teams (such as only fire types, etc.), but I want to spread the Pokemon wisely instead.
I know this is a hard work, but I am patient, you don't have to write all the EV spreads and nature of each Pokemon, just spread them on different teams based on what you think.
I would appreciate any reply !
Thanks.

Last edited by Satycorn89; December 15th, 2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old December 15th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Satycorn89
Togepi

Hi everyone.
So I'm building my competitive teams now, and it'll be 5 different teams, three of them will have either Espeon, Jolteon or Leafeon. I'm planning to use all three but on different teams.
All three of them will have the egg moves Wish and Curse, and I badly want one of them with the Curse move. Which one do you suggest? I was thinking of Leafeon, but I really don't know...
Thanks.
Old December 15th, 2012, 03:58 AM
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful
Don't give either one of them Curse. Jolteon is best for Special Attack and Speed. Its Attack stat is very low and I highly suggest letting it learn strong Special Attacks. Same for Espeon, but give it either Calm Mind or Light Screen/Reflect. Give Leafeon Swords Dance, it's best to give it that since it's strong and it's that strong and defensive. Giving all of them Curse will ruin their capabilites in terms of Jolteon's and Espeon's swift speed and Special Attack/Special Defense. Leafeon needs to attack that fast since it has 5 weaknesses that it needs to counter and defeat. Focus on what they're strong for and what they should be doing to be a good team. And don't give them Wish as well, only those that are walls need them, like Vaporeon and Umbreon.
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Satycorn89
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanix769 View Post
Don't give either one of them Curse. Jolteon is best for Special Attack and Speed. Its Attack stat is very low and I highly suggest letting it learn strong Special Attacks. Same for Espeon, but give it either Calm Mind or Light Screen/Reflect. Give Leafeon Swords Dance, it's best to give it that since it's strong and it's that strong and defensive. Giving all of them Curse will ruin their capabilites in terms of Jolteon's and Espeon's swift speed and Special Attack/Special Defense. Leafeon needs to attack that fast since it has 5 weaknesses that it needs to counter and defeat. Focus on what they're strong for and what they should be doing to be a good team. And don't give them Wish as well, only those that are walls need them, like Vaporeon and Umbreon.
Oh I see, I really liked that move... I don't have any Pokemon that can learn it :/.. What if instead of the Jolteon I make an Umbreon/Vaporeon and teach it Wish and Curse, will that work? What moveset would you suggest?
For Leafeon I was thinking this:
-Leaf Blade
-Protect/Protect
-Curse
-Wish

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited by Satycorn89; December 15th, 2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Volcanix769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satycorn89 View Post
Oh I see, I really liked that move... I don't have any Pokemon that can learn it :/.. What if instead of the Jolteon I make an Umbreon and teach it Wish and Curse, will that work? What moveset would you suggest?
For Leafeon I was thinking this:
-Leaf Blade
-Substitute
-Curse
-Wish

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Leafeon should have this:

-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Substitute/Roar
-X-Scissor/Return/Iron Tail

Yes Umbreon would work, since it fits it. And here what it should have:

-Curse
-Wish
-Payback/Foul Play
-Roar/Toxic

And like I said, give it to the ones that fit it. Wait, don't give Vaporeon Curse, since it'll slow it down, Umbreon's the best idea for that.
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Satycorn89
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanix769 View Post
Leafeon should have this:

-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Substitute/Roar
-X-Scissor/Return/Iron Tail

Yes Umbreon would work, since it fits it. And here what it should have:

-Curse
-Wish
-Payback/Foul Play
-Roar/Toxic

And like I said, give it to the ones that fit it. Wait, don't give Vaporeon Curse, since it'll slow it down, Umbreon's the best idea for that.
I see, thanks. Should Umbreon have a Protect as well, so that when I use wish, use immediately Protect, which will make it evade attacks that can kill it, while Wish will still raise it's HP?
Also what do you mean by slowing down Umbreon is it's best idea? I've played with Eevee evolutions in 3rd Gen only, so I'm kind of a noob haha.
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Volcanix769

Quote:
I see, thanks. Should Umbreon have a Protect as well, so that when I use wish, use immediately Protect, which will make it evade attacks that can kill it, while Wish will still raise it's HP?
Also what do you mean by slowing down Umbreon is it's best idea? I've played with Eevee evolutions in 3rd Gen only, so I'm kind of a noob haha.
Well Umbreon can survive anyway, and Curse should help it.
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Satycorn89
Togepi

Oh and apparently, Umbreon doesn't learn Roar, at least that's what Serebii says ... I'll go with Toxic, then
Leafeon learns it instead, do you think I should teach it to him? It will help him, considering it's lost Sp Def.

Pokemon White Friend Code: 4213 2543 6289
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Volcanix769

Quote:
Oh and apparently, Umbreon doesn't learn Roar, at least that's what Serebii says ... I'll go with Toxic, then
Leafeon learns it instead, do you think I should teach it to him? It will help him, considering it's lost Sp Def.
That could work. It's at least a try.
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Satycorn89
Togepi

Oh okay thanks.
So one more thing, I need a moveset for my soon-to-be Espeon. Do you think I can use this:
Timid nature, with Light Clay
-Reflect
-Signal Beam
-Psychic
-Wish
I know many people use Baton Pass instead of Wish in this cases, but IDK, I just want to change a bit, plus Espeon is fast, so Wish might be a bit better for it...
Thanks again.

Old December 15th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Volcanix769

Quote:
Oh okay thanks.
So one more thing, I need a moveset for my soon-to-be Espeon. Do you think I can use this:
-Reflect
-Signal Beam
-Psychic
-Wish
I know many people use Baton Pass instead of Wish in this cases, but IDK, I just want to change a bit, plus Espeon is fast, so Wish might be a bit better for it...
Thanks again.
That's a good moveset. Espeon needs to maintain its team in order to survive, so that could work. I mean, that is a tactical strategy.
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Satycorn89
Togepi

HI everyone!
I'm trying to build my competitive teams and there are some Pokemon that I just can't decide if I should choose this or the other... Here's my biggest dilemmas:

-Mamoswine or Abomasnow?
-Milotic or Warlein?
-Spiritomb or Cofagrigus? (I really like Spiritomb, but from my online research some people prefer Cofagrigus..)

These are my main 3 questionmarks in my mind, I will update if I find any, however, can you help me with the movesets? I already know the EV spreads.
about Milotic and Warlein, my Spheal knows Curse, Water Pulse, Yawn and Aqua Ring already as egg moves, while I have caught a wild Feebas and am now breeding it to get the desired nature and IVs.
What the other babies know:
Swinub:Icicle Crash, Icicle Spear, Stealth Rock, Double Edge.
Snover: Avalanche, Leech Seed, Seed Bomb, Blizzard
Spiritomb: Confuse Ray, Spite, Shadow Sneak, Pain Split
All of the Pokemon mentioned above are Lv.1. I haven't caught a Cofagrigus yet.
Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Old December 15th, 2012, 09:41 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Oh okay thanks.
-Reflect
-Signal Beam
-Psychic
-Wish
Thanks again.
Espeon is meant to be a support 'mon. If you're using Reflect, you should be using Light Screen too. This is called "dual screening," which involves getting both Reflect and Light Screen up to give frail attackers a chance of surviving on the battlefield. Due to the new Wish mechanics, Espeon can't utilize it too well (Wish now restores half the user's max HP to the recipient. Say Espeon uses Wish and switches to something like Magnezone. Magnezone then gains HP equal to Espeon's max HP):
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Hidden Power (Fire)/Baton Pass
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce

Old December 15th, 2012, 09:44 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

If you're building a Hail team, Abomasnow is definitely a staple, as it sets up the required weather.

Walrein is an annoying Pokémon to face off against in Hail, so you can use it.

And it might be a better idea to use Cofagrigus, as it's bulkier and can do more than Spiritomb can.

Old December 15th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Satycorn89
Togepi

I am setting up about 5 different teams, so I don't mind using one or another. And I'm not using mono type teams, I don't like that, it's going to be a mixed team, all 5 of them.
What would be a good moveset for Walrein, preferably keeping Curse, as I really like it?
Also, no Mamoswine? It's attack is scary!!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links