The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zet View Post
So the Westboro church is going to be pissing off the entire world's population again by picketing the funeral.

source: http://www.examiner.com/article/conn...ning-to-picket

twitter source from one of the members: https://twitter.com/DearShirley/stat...53994124783618
I hope they are going to be wearing bullet proof vests. This is a very traumatic event, and all WBC is going to do is add jetfuel to the fire. I wouldn't be suprised some small scale riots broke out over this, or if some of them get shot over it.

Come play Runescape
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid
Quote:
I hope they are going to be wearing bullet proof vests. This is a very traumatic event, and all WBC is going to do is add jetfuel to the fire. I wouldn't be suprised some small scale riots broke out over this, or if some of them get shot over it.
I have to agree with that. As much as I hope that doesn't happen, it just seems all too likely. Adding insult to injury. Westboro Church is a disgusting cult in my eyes.

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:41 PM
dcjboi
With Quiet Courage

Send a message via Skype™ to dcjboi
I feel bad about this event and my thoughts go out to his event. If you ask me the general media is making it worse as they provoke people against Mass Effect 3 and A guy who had the same name as the shooter. This really bothered me and it made me feel that the general public and the ones that provide news to them, can take something and make it even worse

Old December 15th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

He didn't have the same name as the shooter, he was the shooters brother (I think)

Either way, this is a boon for that guy. He might be able to file lawsuits against the news groups that said he was the killer.

Come play Runescape
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:01 PM
dcjboi
With Quiet Courage

Is Westburo church like the PETA of Christianity? I hear about them all the time choosing the wrong events and people to start movements against. It sickens me the way a large amount of the christian population reacted to this. Someone in my local community said if religion wasn't restricted from practice in public schools, this wouldn't have happened and we all know that is BS. Also I don't think there is a simple, one shot way in preventing these situations.

^@Mr. X: I hope he does take action against them because that could ruin someone's life if they were framed for multiple-manslaughter by the news

Old December 15th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Yes and no. They are the closest eqilivent, as both groups go to extremes to spread their message.

The difference is that PETA's core beliefs are understandable and admirable. Treating animals better. Peta goes to extremes to achieve this, but it is a good goal. The WBC's core beliefs are pretty much "**** fags, **** you, **** the country, and **** everything now that we think about it".

As for Religion in general, I laugh when people say that Religion prevents tragedy and killing. It's funny, because historically Religion has been the root cause for the majority of wars in our planets history.

Come play Runescape
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:32 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjboi View Post
Is Westburo church like the PETA of Christianity? I hear about them all the time choosing the wrong events and people to start movements against. It sickens me the way a large amount of the christian population reacted to this. Someone in my local community said if religion wasn't restricted from practice in public schools, this wouldn't have happened and we all know that is BS. Also I don't think there is a simple, one shot way in preventing these situations.

^@Mr. X: I hope he does take action against them because that could ruin someone's life if they were framed for multiple-manslaughter by the news
I wouldn't consider them Christians. They probably don't consider themselves Christians considering they hate all Christians.
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:33 PM
dcjboi
With Quiet Courage

Definately agree with that last part. I think although religion is part of it, mainly it's because of greed, or the want to make people subject to your will who are different than you/don't share the same views

Old December 15th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Not really, they consider themselves Christians.

To them, its all the other Christians who are not following the teachings of the bible.

Here's hoping that they all drink flavoraid on the 21st.

Come play Runescape
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
So now we have some new details:

Here is your shooter. Who evidently was an Autistic/had Asperger's. And raised by a mother who evidently had issues of her own.

This is the weapon he used. A Semi-Automatic that fires a round with every pull of the trigger, meaning you can fire hundreds upon hundreds of rounds per minute, as fast as you can pull the trigger.The AR-15 uses high-powered fragmentation ammunition that literally explodes on impact. So you can imagine what these did to 6 and 7 year olds.

Still think that should be legal?
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
Yes and no. They are the closest eqilivent, as both groups go to extremes to spread their message.

The difference is that PETA's core beliefs are understandable and admirable. Treating animals better. Peta goes to extremes to achieve this, but it is a good goal. The WBC's core beliefs are pretty much "**** fags, **** you, **** the country, and **** everything now that we think about it".

As for Religion in general, I laugh when people say that Religion prevents tragedy and killing. It's funny, because historically Religion has been the root cause for the majority of wars in our planets history.
PETA murders thousands of animals every year because they think they're unadoptable. I'd hardly call them better treatment for animals, and it really goes against their core beliefs.
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:02 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Too bad the guy was autistic. Now I suspect people are going to be approaching autistic people like people after Columbine approached people who wear trench coats.

I'm hoping to be proven wrong.
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
So now we have some new details:

Here is your shooter. Who evidently was an Autistic/had Asperger's. And raised by a mother who evidently had issues of her own.

This is the weapon he used. A Semi-Automatic that fires a round with every pull of the trigger, meaning you can fire hundreds upon hundreds of rounds per minute, as fast as you can pull the trigger.The AR-15 uses high-powered fragmentation ammunition that literally explodes on impact. So you can imagine what these did to 6 and 7 year olds.

-gun images-

Still think that should be legal?
I heard he used pistols, but damn, that's just scary beyond belief. And if I recall correctly those are the types of guns Obama didn't want to be sold.
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Jak
baby smod

Quote:
Ugh...now people are going to start being more wary of people with a spectrum disorder. Anyone know what exactly was wrong with his mother, though? Perhaps that has more to do with it? Because as far as I know, there was no motive in this thing, so idk...

And no, Livewire, those guns shouldn't be legal. Putting that into the mental scenario just makes it all the more worse to me...that thing is just...it's truly terrifying. I can't imagine being faced with one of those.

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:07 PM
dcjboi
With Quiet Courage

@Livewire; Christ that is some serious firepower. Wouldn't want to have to see one of those being fired in my lifetime.

Old December 15th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

He didn't use the AR-15. He had left it outside the building and went in with two pistols.

He might have planned to use that as well, but ended up putting a bullet to his head instead.

Fragmentation is false, in this case. He didn't use the gun but if he had, because of the well... size, of his targets, the round would have passed through with minimal resistance meaning it wouldn't fragment. Smaller body size, less muscle tissue, weaker bones... Minus shots to the head, the rounds wouldn't have fragmented. If anything, the stronger power in the rounds would have prevented the bullets from lodging in the body which may have actually resulted in less deaths. (Edit - This only applies if the AR-15 was using the standard 5.56 NATO. That is the most common chamber, but its possiable to get it in 9x19, .40, .45, .22, 5.45x39, 7.62x39, .223, .205, 6.5 Grendel, and 6.8 Remington SPC)

Edit - Peta core beliefs are more humane treatment of animals. More humane methods to put a animal down, although still sad, does fall under this.

Come play Runescape

Last edited by Mr. X; December 15th, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:12 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I wouldn't mind seeing one of those things fired, to be honest.

But in a shooting range at a circle target, not at living people.
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Quote:
He didn't use the AR-15. He had left it outside the building and went in with two pistols.

He might have planned to use that as well, but ended up putting a bullet to his head instead.

Fragmentation is false, in this case. He didn't use the gun but if he had, because of the well... size, of his targets, the round would have passed through with minimal resistance meaning it wouldn't fragment. Smaller body size, less muscle tissue, weaker bones... Minus shots to the head, the rounds wouldn't have fragmented.

Edit - Peta core beliefs are more humane treatment of animals. More humane methods to put a animal down does fall under this.
No, he used the AR-15/.223 Caliber Bushmaster rifle as well.

I'm not good with gun terminology, but regardless, the AR/Bushmaster/big scary gun used special ammunition designed to for maximum killing power and maximum internal damage.

Last edited by Lance; December 16th, 2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: not specific enough for some people evidently
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I'm not good with gun terminology, but regardless, the AR/Bushmaster/big scary gun used special ammunition designed to kill.
*facedesk*

Yeah. It used special ammo designed to kill, instead of of the standard ammo that farts rainbows.

All ammo, and guns, are designed to kill. Thats the ultimate purpose of a gun and bullet, to forcefully take the life of something.

Anyway, for those that have doubts that the WBC picket (Well, if they do do that. They have bull****ted people before.) won't turn into a riot just remember. This is one of the signs that they have used in the past and will proably use for this picket.

Come play Runescape
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Quote:
*facedesk*

Yeah. It used special ammo designed to kill, instead of of the standard ammo that farts rainbows.

All ammo, and guns, are designed to kill. Thats the ultimate purpose of a gun and bullet, to forcefully take the life of something.

Anyway, for those that have doubts that the WBC picket (Well, if they do do that. They have bull****ted people before.) won't turn into a riot just remember. This is one of the signs that they have used in the past and will proably use for this picket.

Oh boy, better make a sarcastic remark in a thread about 20 dead children!

**Rounds meant for maximum killing power. The ones from the rifle that was used.
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic

Nature: Gentle
"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed
people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

Morgan Freeman is a brilliant man. I agree with this statement 100%. Just something to think about as you all continue to discuss this.
Old December 16th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Ivysaur
The Seed Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Ivysaur
As a journalist, I have to agree to a point. There is a justification for reporting the name of the criminal and how he did it, just for the sake of making it known. But a very different thing is making special reports about kids being terrfied and showing CCTV images of how it happened and all, and going into second-by-second descriptions of everything: "And then he shot the gun twice and the first two kids died". There is even a difference between reporting it as "28 killed in school shooting", "Bloody massacre: a cold and intelligent murderer kills his mom and 20 children" or (my absolute -un-favourite) "Satan enjoys himself in Newtown". All three are real headlines and boy do I prefer the first one.

Mario | A mí nadie me dijo de vos
Old December 16th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Kouzan
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
Boy I have to agree with that Ausaudriel. We don't get enough reports that focus on the victims when shootings like this happen. Sure they can't interview the victims, but they sure can possibly get details about what was happening before they were killed.

And a response to the WBC pickets.It's just awful that they're even considering picketing the funerals of these children who did nothing at all to them or the shooter. They just really make me mad cause of how heartless they are. I wish they would realize that what they're doing isn't Christ-like or Godly at all.

Edit:
Today on the news this morning my local Fox station , Fox2 , interrupted their broadcast several times and showed a list of all the victims. It mentioned names and their ages and they even told viewers to acknowledge the people killed cause they're the bigger focus right now. I kind of feel like maybe some producer or executive or head of Fox News read Morgan Freeman's quote online and told all Fox News stations to focus on the victims more and sent them a list of their names and ages and such. Though it could also just be a sheer coincidence that mine did list the victims. Though Fox is a national news provider. Either way, it's nice that they acknowledged the victim's names on TV so people can remember at least one of them more than the shooter. They deserve the respect and so do their families and loved ones.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]

Last edited by Kouzan; December 16th, 2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
This is sick and twisted. I have a sister in kindergarten, and the prospect of her going through this is devastating to even picture, let alone go through. What kind of person has the nerve to go and massacre CHILDREN, of all people? Not that killing is ever tolerable, but the fact that it was these small kids who had so much life left to live is disgusting, especially the week before Christmas.
The major problem with so many of these shootings is that nearly of the people who carry out with them have mental disorders, and they aren't on the medications that they should be. There is medicine for depression, so why not take it instead of hating the world and carrying out with something like this? There has to be some way to make sure that these people are taking their medication, even if it means that they have to go to weekly doctor's/psychologists appointments or something like that, idk. While gun control laws may slow down the process of getting a gun, the people who suffer from these illnesses are still going to get there hands on one, ultimately in most cases.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old December 16th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Lateon
The Eon Follower

Send a message via AIM to Lateon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lateon Send a message via Yahoo to Lateon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmotone8 View Post

The major problem with so many of these shootings is that nearly of the people who carry out with them have mental disorders, and they aren't on the medications that they should be. There is medicine for depression, so why not take it instead of hating the world and carrying out with something like this? There has to be some way to make sure that these people are taking their medication, even if it means that they have to go to weekly doctor's/psychologists appointments or something like that, idk. While gun control laws may slow down the process of getting a gun, the people who suffer from these illnesses are still going to get there hands on one, ultimately in most cases.
Just wanted to point out that medication doesn't always work. I can't count the number of different medicines I have been on- but then again, I don't want to blow anyone's brains out, so I guess there's a difference.

There's a FB group of 600,000+ that are going to stop WB from getting anywhere near the memorials and such. I wouldn't be suprised if someone got shot anyway, though. In this day and age, once everyone gets angry peaceful protest tends to slide into violence.

Forum Activity
Wifi Activity

Currently Working On

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links