The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 16th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Whats funny is that I'm see pro-gun people blabering on about how more guns will prevent gun crime.

The funny thing, is that his mother (the first victim, killed at home) was a gun owner. According to conservative gun-control logic, she had the power to stop this event from ever occurring.

She didn, and whats worse is that it was her guns which were used for this event.

Funny, isn't it? Conservative logic dictates that gun owners prevent gun crime. However, this events shows that all the gun owners do is die and give criminals the tools needed to commit crime.

Also, they found two more rifles and a shotgun at the scene.

Come play Runescape
Old December 16th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Arago
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax

This is what more people should realize, I think.
Old December 16th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Kouzan
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateon View Post

There's a FB group of 600,000+ that are going to stop WB from getting anywhere near the memorials and such. I wouldn't be suprised if someone got shot anyway, though. In this day and age, once everyone gets angry peaceful protest tends to slide into violence.
There are also several petitions on the White House's website created as of the incident to get the government to re-classify them as a hate group instead of a religious organization.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...group/tNVz4V7Q

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...paign=shorturl

Cause clearly they are NOT a religious organization. I have never seen any religious organization act the way they do, it's far from it.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old December 16th, 2012, 04:52 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...n-brother?lite

Here are all the victims, in case anyone wants to know their names.
It's sad that some of them don't have any more detailed bios other than their age.
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Kouzan
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
I was just about to post this link to People magazine's website that had picture of the victims.
It seems just as detailed but I thought I post it anyway cause it gives you a good idea of what these people looked like.
http://www.people.com/people/static/...s-topheadlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post

This is what more people should realize, I think.
While it's been confirmed that Morgan Freeman didn't say that, and that some guy named Mark on Facebook did, it's still very relevant to the situation.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]

Last edited by Kouzan; December 16th, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old December 16th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Crux
Evermore

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Crux
I'm at a loss for words.
What can you say? What could anyone say to fully convey their sorrow,and pity for the families,for the school,for the friends and the children themselves,for the man who was so far gone to be capable of doing this?
There is nothing.
There's not a single word in any human language that could ever mean so much.

I find it disturbing that so many have blamed this on the lack of gun control laws.
"When cryptography is outlawed- bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl." (Only outlaws will have privacy)

We live in a broken world, and sadly, this kind of thing happens, and will until we learn how to fix it.
But you see, the answer is in heart. We have to remember what hearts are for - and that we all have one, before we could ever stop this from happening again.

W o r d p l o y
{Never and Forever}

Tees | Coming Soon | Coming Soon
Old December 16th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
This is just so sad. I can't believe anyone has the capacity to do something like this... but this sick man gets to face God now.

I like Morgan Freeman/Mark's quote. I agree.

Wonder Trade!!!
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it...
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateon View Post
Just wanted to point out that medication doesn't always work. I can't count the number of different medicines I have been on- but then again, I don't want to blow anyone's brains out, so I guess there's a difference.
There are no medications for Aspergers... there are no medications for autism. There are treatment plans, but there is a difference between treatment and 'miracle drug'. No one case or person is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Here is your shooter. Who evidently was an Autistic/had Asperger's. And raised by a mother who evidently had issues of her own.
... Aspergers is on the spectrum. Please, no slash, just put Asperger's.

If this is gonna turn into a 'let's pot shot Aspies' party I won't be a happy camper.

Quote:
This is the weapon he used. A Semi-Automatic that fires a round with every pull of the trigger, meaning you can fire hundreds upon hundreds of rounds per minute, as fast as you can pull the trigger.The AR-15 uses high-powered fragmentation ammunition that literally explodes on impact. So you can imagine what these did to 6 and 7 year olds.

*large pic*

Still think that should be legal?
\

One, just no. A fully auto AR has a rate of fire of 800 rounds a minute... a semi auto? Not so much. Sustained rate of fire, is LIMITED, maybe 40-50 depending on the shooter. That's not including reload time.

Two... I really want to know what type of ammo you're talking about, because I'm pretty sure that's not it. ARs are civ models, and usually carry ammo like .223/5.56, which actually can be less deadly than those used in a 'standard' handgun. Most likely those were recreational rounds. I'm pretty sure you were thinking of hollow or soft points...

Actually I just looked it up, it was .223. So no hollows or softies.

Three that's not a standard AR-15... It's an AR15 Sporter SP1 Carbine.

This is an AR15... A Bushmaster standard AR-15

The AR15 is a civ version of the M16 and the M4.

A 'bare bones' model.

I highly doubt that he had special accesories, since they cost so much more and are so damn hard to get.

Last edited by Phantom; May 24th, 2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: I'm fully aware of what I'm talking about. Lose the attitude buddy.
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Oddly enough, some people are saying that TDKR has a connection with this too.

Has something to do with promotional maps that were given out.

Edit - Actually, the 5.56s and .223s do fragment. It's what they are designed for, really. However, in soft targets they usually pass straight through. They are different from regular fragmenting ammo because of how they fragment though.

Come play Runescape

Last edited by Mr. X; December 16th, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old December 17th, 2012, 07:17 AM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Apparently the Morgan Freeman quote isn't actually Morgan Freeman's quote XD Oh Internet, you so crazy.
Old December 17th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
Why do normal citizens need a gun even close to that size? I feel like people who NEED to have something like that act like they ruined Uma Thermans wedding and are waiting for her to show up to their house seeking revenge. Wouldn't a small handgun with 6 shots max suffice against normal home invaders? :s

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old December 17th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

This is comedy, but the sad fact is that most pro-gun people actually follow this kind of logic.

Come play Runescape
Old December 17th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Bluerang1
pin pin

Nature: Relaxed
I'm asking this again, don't you have to have some logic and sanity to realise that you did something so inhuman and you would be punished so to avoid that you kill yourself?

That's why I'm actually believing that the Tuscon and Theatre shooters were completely mad. This guy and others who killed themselves are pure evil, demons.
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
There is no medications for Aspergers... there are no medications for autism. There are treatment plans, but there is a difference between treatment and 'miracle drug'. No one case or person is the same.

... Aspergers is on the spectrum. Please, no slash, just put Asperger's.

If this is gonna turn into a 'let's pot shot Aspies' party I won't be a happy camper.

One, just no. A fully auto AR has a rate of fire of 800 rounds a minute... a semi auto? Not so much. Sustained rate of fire, is LIMITED, maybe 40-50 depending on the shooter. That's not including reload time.

Two... I really want to know what type of ammo you're talking about, because I'm pretty sure that's not it. ARs are civ models, and usually carry ammo like .223/5.56, which actually can be less deadly than those used in a 'standard' handgun. Most likely those were recreational rounds. I'm pretty sure you were thinking of hollow or soft points...

Actually I just looked it up, it was .223. So no hollows or softies.

Three that's not a standard AR-15... It's an AR15 Sporter SP1 Carbine.

This is an AR15... A Bushmaster standard AR-15

The AR15 is a civ version of the M16 and the M4.

A 'bare bones' model.

I highly doubt that he had special accesories, since they cost so much more and are so damn hard to get.

Ok, First things first:

A. It was not clear (based on some research) whether he was full blown Autistic or had Asperger's. Both were included. I know full well what I'm talking about. Don't tell me what I can and cannot talk about here.

B.

This is the one that was used. The reports and information I saw from multiple news stations suggested that the Bushmaster involved was designed for a higher rate of fire and in this case, used a different type of ammunition designed for maximum damage. You can hash out the irrelevant details if you want. That type of weapon has no business being legal.

C. His mother was the gun owner, and was a gun enthusiast who owned multiple hand guns and rifles. Being the family of a General Electric Executive, his mother had plenty of money at her disposal. She was also a Doomsday prepper, who hoarded foodstuffs and weapons for the "impending doomsday". Sounds to me like she had a few psychological issues of her own.
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Okay, not sure if this is true, but I've heard some rumors (that I would like to believe true) of a teacher saving as many as 20 kindergartners by hiding them in various different places around her room, i.e. in a cabinet/closet and various other places. When Lanza came in, she told him the kids were in another room. He shot her and moved on, saving the kids. Again, just a rumor, but still. Her name was Victoria Soto, and she was only 27.
Also, while there may not be a drug that directly suppresses Aspergers, there are drugs that can dim the side effects of depression and irritability and other things associated with Aspergers. The same is true for a lot of other mental illnesses.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old December 17th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Quote:
This is the one that was used. The reports and information I saw from multiple news stations suggested that the Bushmaster involved was designed for a higher rate of fire and in this case, used a different type of ammunition designed for maximum damage. You can hash out the irrelevant details if you want. That type of weapon has no business being legal.
We don't know what kind of ammo the gun used, however it wasn't special. It either used the stock .223 ammo or its bigger brother, the 5.56. It's a .223 gun, but some .223 barrels are built to handly both types.

Anyway, the only modification was the high capacity clips, but thats a clip design not a change to the gun itself.

But yeah, I agree that it's a weapon that civilians have no use for.

Anyway, some people think we have hard gun control laws. Compared to other first world, and even a couple of second world, countries, we actually have the weakest gun control laws. Ironiclly, compared to the same countries, we also have the highest amount of gun crime.

Come play Runescape
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:17 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmotone8 View Post
Okay, not sure if this is true, but I've heard some rumors (that I would like to believe true) of a teacher saving as many as 20 kindergartners by hiding them in various different places around her room, i.e. in a cabinet/closet and various other places. When Lanza came in, she told him the kids were in another room. He shot her and moved on, saving the kids. Again, just a rumor, but still. Her name was Victoria Soto, and she was only 27.
Also, while there may not be a drug that directly suppresses Aspergers, there are drugs that can dim the side effects of depression and irritability and other things associated with Aspergers. The same is true for a lot of other mental illnesses.
I heard two variations. One, like what you said, where the kids were out of sight. The other, where all kids fit in the washroom (reasonable, as another teacher did the same thing), but she did not (while the other teacher in the other case did) and stood by the door. When the gunman came by she said the kids were in the gym.

The only silver lining, if possible, from this whole situation were the stories of the teachers. Had the children cover their eyes as they walked out of the school. Told them the noise they were hearing was a jack hammer. Protected them. Repeatedly told them that they were loved.

Tried to protect them physically and emotionally.
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIFORCE89 View Post
I heard two variations. One, like what you said, where the kids were out of sight. The other, where all kids fit in the washroom (reasonable, as another teacher did the same thing), but she did not (while the other teacher in the other case did) and stood by the door. When the gunman came by she said the kids were in the gym.

The only silver lining, if possible, from this whole situation were the stories of the teachers. Had the children cover their eyes as they walked out of the school. Told them the noise they were hearing was a jack hammer. Protected them. Repeatedly told them that they were loved.

I heard this too. That's just sick, the fact that it got this bad. Now all these kids that survived are going to be burdened with this forever.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old December 17th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid
Quote:

Even though there are different variations of the Victoria Soto story, they're both pretty much the same gist. And I pray that there will never be an event like this in my time teaching, but if ever it does happens, I only hope I can be half the teacher, or in this case the protector, this woman was.

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night
Old December 17th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Sheep
MUFFINS ya pls

Nature: Timid
I'm still really shocked about this and feel absolutely horrible for those families that will be spending the holidays without their kids/siblings. That and those poor children and faculty that were there to witness this happen... it's just terrible. Been trying to avoid reading about this buut it's pretty much unavoidable right now.

As horrible as some people are, hearing Victoria Soto's story makes me remember that there are those out there that are as good as some are bad. She was very brave for doing what she did!

Old December 17th, 2012, 08:00 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
I am trying to avoid reading or watching any more news about this. I'm already heartbroken enough from it. Why would such a horrible creature do such a thing to kids? It wasn't even human!

Regardless, there needs to be severe restrictions on semi-automatic rifles and SMGs for public use. Pistols are okay for protection, but some people have no business owning guns like that. They should be reserved for army use or in shooting ranges (which should have some government regulation). After the incidents earlier this year... well, this one is easily the worst.

Yeah... I'm about to cry. Again. I don't want to think about it... more thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families!

Credit to whomever drew that Hilda picture. Lemme know if that's you.

~*~ 3DS FC: 3540-0366-4191 ||| Mii name: Andy ||| IGN: Amanda ~*~
Old December 17th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Lateon
The Eon Follower

Send a message via AIM to Lateon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lateon Send a message via Yahoo to Lateon
The gunman got the guns from his parents, right? I was just wondering how stricter gun laws would get prevent people like him from just taking them from others.

I do really wonder why civilians need semi-automatics, though. What do you actually do with them besides target practice? The things were built to kill.

Forum Activity
Wifi Activity

Currently Working On

Old December 17th, 2012, 08:47 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/12/1...-sex-marriage/

People like this guy are the biggest reason why I abandoned religion and became skeptical of the concept of the existence of a supernatural higher power.
Old December 17th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it...
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
A. It was not clear (based on some research) whether he was full blown Autistic or had Asperger's. Both were included.
Asperger's and autism are the same thing. Asperger's a form of autism. Austism has a spectrum, Asperger's is just a high functioning form of autism. I should know. I have Asperger's.

And as an aspie this whole thing concerns me. Asperger's has been getting a lot of media attention lately as it is, and after this that media attention is not going to be good for the general Asperger's community at all.

Last edited by Axton; December 18th, 2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: cleaning up a little + pm'd
Old December 17th, 2012, 09:13 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

I feel you, Phantom.

I've been diagnosed with Asperger's since 10. I'm hoping not to get any scrutiny.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links