The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 11th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmotone8 View Post
I do appreciate the character's stories woven together, and how each character has their own backstory and whatnot, but you don't even get into most of these "intricacies of the books" until number 6 or 7. Also, the whole idea of escaping death every time bugs me. People are going to die, sorry to say, if the odds are stacked against them one-million to one, even in the first couple books. Oh, and once someone (Harry) does die, he comes back to life. Yes, I understand this is a fiction book involving magic, but coming back to life always bugs me because its so unnatural. You're dead, now stay dead.
The ghosts who haunt Hogwarts would like a word with you on that. The characters who died still stay dead, but their spirits live on.
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Esper

Harry Potter is, regardless of who reads it, a children's book so don't expect War and Peace. The hero gets to live, to win, and the bad guys lose. It's just how a lot of fiction aimed at certain age groups is written.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is quite possibly the best movie I have seen this quarter. I won't say "this year" in a year that included The Avengers and Young Adult, but it was freaking amazing.

Funny, touching, moving, deep, insightful. I was hit by a truckload of feels.

Also Emma Watson.
Yes to all of that apart from Emma Watson. I loved Logan Lerman and Ezra Miller, but Emma was definitely the weakest link out of that cast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Harry Potter is, regardless of who reads it, a children's book so don't expect War and Peace. The hero gets to live, to win, and the bad guys lose. It's just how a lot of fiction aimed at certain age groups is written.
Spoilers, Scarfy!
Old December 12th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
Spoilers, Scarfy!
Pshaw! The last Potter book is over 5 years old and the last movie is over one year old. That's past the spoiler statute of limitations. I know. I checked. :p

deviantart blog pair
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog
Yes to all of that apart from Emma Watson. I loved Logan Lerman and Ezra Miller, but Emma was definitely the weakest link out of that cast.
I agree that she was the weakest out of those three (most likely due to the fact that this was her first foray into American movies), but that doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that she was weak.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old December 14th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
I wouldn't take on Emma Watson's acting prowess in front of Andy, oh dear.
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Quote:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is quite possibly the best movie I have seen this quarter. I won't say "this year" in a year that included The Dark Knight Rises and Skyfall, but it was freaking amazing.
I fixed it for you.

Anyways, I bought 2012 on DVD so I can get my full doomsday-themed enjoyment. Hahahaha.
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Katholic Nun

Livey please never put any words praising a James Bond movie in my mouth. They taste bitter.

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Quote:
Livey please never put any words praising a James Bond movie in my mouth. They taste bitter.

But Skyfall was a great movie. D:

Also, rumor has it The Hobbit could be headed for a $200 Million or so opening weekend worldwide. o.o
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:43 AM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I actually love the James Bond franchise.
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Esper

Going to see the Hobbit... actually, right now. I have low-ish expectations for various reasons. We'll see if they exceed them.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

I'm going to see the Hobbit next weekend, but before that I have to watch the first three LOTR films because I haven't seen them, lmao. Go Harley! Fill your mind with the world of fantasy!
Everyone always gives me dirty looks whenever I say that I haven't seen the first three films, lol. Like I'm a heathen or something.
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Katholic Nun

Harley is typing with proper punctuation. Harley honey what's wrong, are you OK? Talk to me, whatever it is we can get through it.

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
Old December 16th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Esper

I kind of wish you would see the movie without seeing the Lord of the Rings first just to get your impression of it.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 16th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Besides, the Hobbit is a prequel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, so I'll be watching the Hobbit before I can watch the Lord of the Rings.
Old December 16th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Some of you people haven't seen the Lord of The Rings. Heathens, all of you.
Old December 16th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

Quote:
Harley is typing with proper punctuation. Harley honey what's wrong, are you OK? Talk to me, whatever it is we can get through it.
I just have very strong feelings about LOTR...............
Old December 17th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Katholic Nun

Quote:
I kind of wish you would see the movie without seeing the Lord of the Rings first just to get your impression of it.
That's what I'm doing Scarfy, I'll give you a blow by blow when I get home from seeing it!

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
Old December 17th, 2012, 07:15 AM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Besides, the Hobbit is a prequel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, so I'll be watching the Hobbit before I can watch the Lord of the Rings.
But it's only a third of the story. You'll have a long way to go before you can watch Lord of the Rings then.

It kinda feels like a sequel, prequel, and side story all at once. It starts about ten minutes before Fellowship of the Ring starts. So, you have the kind of alternate familiarity going on. Then it jumps to sixty years prior. With the possible exception of Bilbo, any characters we see that are also from the LotR trilogy aren't really (re)introduced or developed. There's an assumption you know about them. It's more like "Oh, I know you. Okay, what are you doing now?". So, in that sense I think it makes more watching LotR first I think
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Esper

Ugh. There are just too many movies out right now. Anna Karenina, The Hobbit, Lincoln, Hitchcock, Skyfall, Les Mis. Why don't they put these out during those dry months when there's nothing good to see? I can't afford to watch all these movies at the same time.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:45 AM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Oh yeah. I still need to see Lincoln.

My local theatre has been playing some Christmas movies this month. So, I've been doing that. Already aught the original Miracle on 34th Street. Will stop by again for National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation later this week.

They're just Blu-rays (or DVD if not available), but its fun seeing them in a theatre. I can spare the discounted price their offered at (between $2 and $6)

Last edited by TRIFORCE89; December 18th, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Esper

I would love it if my theatre did something like that, but they're a part of a chain (I think) and only do normal movie showings.

My college town had all kinds of midnight showings of classics and cult classics. That was a great way to escape from all-night studying.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:19 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
I would love it if my theatre did something like that, but they're a part of a chain (I think) and only do normal movie showings.

My college town had all kinds of midnight showings of classics and cult classics. That was a great way to escape from all-night studying.
Mine's a chain. Biggest in the country.

In the spring time they do popular favourites. So I got to see Back to the Future and Jurassic Park in theatres earlier this year. They're going to do all four Indiana Jones this year! That should be fun.
Old December 17th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Ugh. There are just too many movies out right now. Anna Karenina, The Hobbit, Lincoln, Hitchcock, Skyfall, Les Mis. Why don't they put these out during those dry months when there's nothing good to see? I can't afford to watch all these movies at the same time.
Because it's Oscar season. The logic is that voters can't remember any movies from before October, so all of the "prestige films" get backloaded into the final three months of the year to qualify for the Oscars/other award shows. At least in America. In the rest of the world, we have to wait for months afterwards, normally!
Old December 17th, 2012, 02:54 PM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Is it just me or this year they didn't release much Christmas movies?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links