The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 17th, 2012 (02:56 PM).
Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
Is it just me or this year they didn't release much Christmas movies?
Somewhat of a good thing, actually, as the usual flood of B-grade Christmas movies begins to wear thin after a while.
Old December 17th, 2012 (02:58 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
Because it's Oscar season. The logic is that voters can't remember any movies from before October, so all of the "prestige films" get backloaded into the final three months of the year to qualify for the Oscars/other award shows. At least in America. In the rest of the world, we have to wait for months afterwards, normally!
Is this the reason why summer blockbusters never win a lot of oscar awards? The summer blockbusters are what determine the quality and future of Hollywood because it's where some of the most memorable movies were released.
Old December 17th, 2012 (03:04 PM).
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Somewhat of a good thing, actually, as the usual flood of B-grade Christmas movies begins to wear thin after a while.
Yeap, I prefer having good Christmas movies rather than putting out bad ones every year
Old December 17th, 2012 (03:08 PM).
Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
Yeap, I prefer having good Christmas movies rather than putting out bad ones every year :)
Good Christmas movies do come out every once in a while! Just... not memorable ones :(
Old December 17th, 2012 (03:13 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

The only good Christmas movie that's good this year is Rise of the Guardians, but I don't know if that counts as it also covers Easter.
Old December 17th, 2012 (03:14 PM).
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Is this the reason why summer blockbusters never win a lot of oscar awards? The summer blockbusters are what determine the quality and future of Hollywood because it's where some of the most memorable movies were released.
Producers usually work on their movies and tries to perfect them for the summer blockbusters, and usually releases it on July 4
Old December 18th, 2012 (01:49 PM).
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Often the big tentpole summer movies pop up in the technical categories. If you look at the Best Sound Editing/Sound Mixing Categories over the years, you'll often find a lot of blockbusters in those. Best Visual Effects and sometimes Best Editing as well. I believe all three Transformers films were nominated for the Sound awards; the final Bourne film won both Sound categories and Editing when it was nominated. Batman franchise have been good with tech noms as well. This year, I can't imagine that Dark Knight Rises/Avengers won't be nominated for at least some of the nominations mentioned above.

But as far as high-powered nominations go: Best Picture, Best Actor etc. unless the film has been rapturously received throughout the year, it's very unlikely that a summer movie will crack those top races. Which is sometimes unfortunate, as there are often a lot of hidden gems released earlier in the year that get swept under the rug come awards season.
Old December 18th, 2012 (03:00 PM).
Aphrodite
Community Supporter

The summer blockbusters of this year can't really compete with Argo, sadly :( Jon would know more about this than me, but Argo is most likely going to be the Academy's darling child for the 2013 awards, getting at least the Best Picture award amongst other things.
Old December 18th, 2012 (09:21 PM).
Esper

Huh. Argo must be something then. I'd only heard it was good from, er, old people who I didn't think had good taste. I'll have to put that on my list as well.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 18th, 2012 (10:59 PM).
Livewire
The Young Wolf

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
The summer blockbusters of this year can't really compete with Argo, sadly :( Jon would know more about this than me, but Argo is most likely going to be the Academy's darling child for the 2013 awards, getting at least the Best Picture award amongst other things.
Right now Zero Dark Thirty's getting all the attention and buzz. WHICH FACTUAL BASED ON A TRUE STORY POLITICAL DRAMA WILL IT BE?
Old December 18th, 2012 (11:13 PM).
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

Still haven't gotten to seeing Argo yet :(
Old December 19th, 2012 (07:14 AM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

See, that's my problem. Movies that usually win the oscars are drama films rather than movies from other genres.
Old December 19th, 2012 (09:51 AM).
Spherical Ice

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Hey, guys, the 21st is going to be...

this is relevant because you are discussing movies
Old December 19th, 2012 (09:22 PM).
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Anybody ever heard of Emperor or Wolves in the Throne Room? I've been listening to a lot of atmospheric metal recently, so if anyone knows any black/doom metal bands similar to those two with a symphonic/atmospheric flair to them, let me know.
Old December 20th, 2012 (11:20 AM).
Esper

Day After Tomorrow: hurricanes cause below freezing temperatures while the icecaps melt and flood the world with more than 50 times the water actually held in the ice caps. Totally believable.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 21st, 2012 (08:00 AM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

I haven't seen Argo yet but I do remember wanting to see it from the trailers. I didn't go because I couldn't get anybody to go with me and I'm co-dependent and can do nothing for or by myself.

I hope it doesn't become the golden child of the Academy Awards, though. Because, you know, Les Mis.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old December 21st, 2012 (08:05 AM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Plus it's Universal Studio's 100th anniversary; they need a movie that's not only memorable like E.T. and Back to the Future, but also win academy awards, and Les Miserables fits the bill to compete with the Avengers.
Old December 21st, 2012 (09:50 AM).
Esper

Looks like this year is all about socio-politico-historical films: Argo, Les Mis, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, Anna Karenina, and Hitchcock. You know, people and the times they lived in.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 21st, 2012 (04:40 PM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Quote:
Plus it's Universal Studio's 100th anniversary; they need a movie that's not only memorable like E.T. and Back to the Future, but also win academy awards, and Les Miserables fits the bill to compete with the Avengers.
The Avengers was amazing. It was the best superhero movie of all time, in my opinion. It won't win any Academy Awards though, except maybe in categories like "Best CGI" or something, because it was a comic book/sci-fi/supernatural type movie, and those films are never acknowledged by the mainstream award ceremonies.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old December 21st, 2012 (04:52 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
The Avengers was amazing. It was the best superhero movie of all time, in my opinion. It won't win any Academy Awards though, except maybe in categories like "Best CGI" or something, because it was a comic book/sci-fi/supernatural type movie, and those films are never acknowledged by the mainstream award ceremonies.
What about the Dark Knight back in 2008? It won a ton of awards, and I was really hoping that a summer blockbuster could achieve, but it didn't won Film of the Year.
Old December 21st, 2012 (05:34 PM).
Aphrodite
Community Supporter

PINKIE DAWN I AM SO MAD THAT YOU TOOK THE 1000TH POST IN THIS THREAD
SO MAD
TRULY ENRAGED
Old December 23rd, 2012 (02:18 PM).
Esper

Quote:
What about the Dark Knight back in 2008? It won a ton of awards, and I was really hoping that a summer blockbuster could achieve, but it didn't won Film of the Year.
That's because of Heath Ledger's untimely death. It gave the move more exposure than it would've had otherwise.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 23rd, 2012 (02:23 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
That's because of Heath Ledger's untimely death. It gave the move more exposure than it would've had otherwise.
That kinda reminded me of that video Cracked made to poke fun of oscar-winning movies in general, which brings me to this other question: Does a celebrity help a movie win more awards the more it's exposed?
Old December 23rd, 2012 (03:51 PM).
Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Well, yeah, the more a movie is exposed the more likely people are going to remember it and think it deserves awards or whatever above other movies who may not have been marketed as effectively. Which goes to say that if a big name celebrity is involved, it's going to get a lot of exposure, especially if the celebrity has a) died b) gone through a divorce recently and c) otherwise had some big public affair which makes them and therefore the movie interesting and worthy of extensive scrutiny.
Old December 23rd, 2012 (04:37 PM).
Brizz
TM87

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
This. As soon as one dies in the entertainment business, it does nothing but help their career, or in this case a movie Heath Ledger was starring in.

Reminds of how amazing everyone thinks Michael Jackson is now that he's passes. For example, VH1 ranked Michael Jackson as the 40th greatest artist of all time just a few years before his death. When they made the list again (I believe a year or two ago) he was ranked number two. Sympathy vote much?

Note: Yes I know that VH1 makes garbage lists.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links