The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 11th, 2012 (08:20 AM).
Hacker Bisharp
Bug reporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayaperson View Post
Review: 7.5, because it's not a bad map, but you said you want it to be more natural. To achieve this, you should maybe arrange the trees in a more imperfect pattern. The paths are also very straight, and lead nowhere basically. You are also missing a tree in the bottom left corner. Otherwise it seems like it'd be a decent town to stop by in a hack.

My Map:

Name: Lowlite Town
Hack Name: Pokemon Bright Waters and Dark Flames
Game Base: FireRed
Comments: The starting town for my new hack. Has a connection North, South, and East

My other Map:

Map Name: Shinygrove City
Hack Name: Pokemon Bright Waters and Dark Flames
Game Base: FireRed
Comments: This town is accessed by route from Lowlite Town. The bottom left connection is the only one originally accessible, the top right is blocked by tree, and the cave isn't unlocked until the end of the game. Also, there are many more trees at the bottom of the map (so you can't see the tile error at the border block)
Review: 7
The map are okay but the house are very weird xD
Map: Trinity Town

And i'm a good bug reporter. Contact me if you want :D

Old November 12th, 2012 (05:59 AM).
M.L
Busy atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker Bisharp View Post
Review: 7
The map are okay but the house are very weird xD
Map: Trinity Town

Very open in the middle and unless your going for a gamefreak style your map is very sqaure and why is their a body of sea water but doesnt appear to be a beach or sea anywhere o: thats about it i would give you a 5-6 cause their are improvements to be made.

MAp:route
rom:Fr
Game: just testing
Map:
Spoiler:
Old November 15th, 2012 (08:48 PM). Edited November 15th, 2012 by Saigyouji Yuyuko.
Saigyouji Yuyuko
Meikai no Ohime-sama

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L View Post
MAp:route
rom:Fr
Game: just testing
Map:
9.9/10
I find very little fault in this one, if at all. The map is well done, with well-balanced proportions of grass and open space. The trees look like they're placed naturally instead of forming obvious barriers like in gamefreak. The tileset is wonderful as well-- I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw the water. ^.^
All in all, it doesn't even look like firered. You have done a splendid job there, sir.
A wonderful eye-candy.
But the fenced-off flower bed is quite strange and doesn't seem to *fit in* with the rest of the map for some reason. It doesn't really make much sense.

As I haven't reached the big 15 yet, mine will be as attachments.

Here is the data. Spoiler'd for length. It contains data that might help in how you rate the maps.
Rom Base: BPRE [Fire Red] hack Touhoumon 1.8
Game: Touhoumon Phantom [In-Progress]

Spoiler:
Map01V2

It's actually three maps in one, but I treat it as one under the title "supermap," seeing as they are linked to one-another, share a common theme and were created as if they were but one map.
The left image shows the three "submaps" or "divisions" of this "supermap."
Note that "Region" here refers to the submaps, and not the region [Kanto, Johto, etc.] of the game itself.

Blue: Town
Name: Lesser Underground [City] [Region 1]
No Puppets (touhoumon equivalent of Pokemon) in here, obviously, and ah, yes. It features a hot springs that act like those in Ember Spa. Weather is Fog.
Music: Route Theme 1 [ZUN's Theme; not an actual route-theme in game.]

Red: Route
Name: Misfortune Path [Underground] [Region 2]
This region has level 4-7 underground and darkness-themed puppets like CRumia as well as more common wanderers like CChen and the very rare CKogasa. Weather is Fog. Encounter rate is low, as caves usually have low values. The ladder up leads to the Upper City, which serves the same purpose in the game's storyline as Pewter did in FR. You are blocked from going into the city (and thus ruining the flow of the plot) by a barrier that can only be passed once you get to a certain point. The ladder below leads to the Greater City.

Yellow: Route
Name: Misfortune Path [Underground] [Region 1]
This region has level 3-8 puppets more or less the same as in the red region. There are two ways out of this place, one leading to a cemetery (creepy!) and another to the surface. Weather is Cloudy [darkness]. Encounter rate is low.

The image on the right shows the supermap as it really is, sans the weather effects. There are minor tile faults in regions 1 of the town and 2 of the route that are hidden by the fog. Good thing, ya? Anyways, I plan on changing the tilesets, so these may be fixed, even if they are not noticed. Also, that large empty space in Region 1 of the route is going to be filled up eventually. I am holding it as it is for now in case a way to use this space (other than blocking it out by cave walls), but if I don't get any ideas by the time I reach the seventh map of the seventh town with the seventh gym, then I will *fix* it. Maybe it should be the sixth map of the sixth town with the sixth gym? Kidding. But I would be glad of suggestions on how I could use the space. ^.^

Now, let us move on to the Greater Underground City.

Map02V1

This city is unique in that it is the only city where wild puppets roam the streets (you will know why if you like Touhou and you know what the inspiration for this map was.) It is the most well-built city in the underground with a neat, even appearance... or it is, in my notes. I personally think it's a bit too square-ish to be attractive, but I have no idea what to do. Can someone give me suggestions here? Oh, and this city contains the last Gym and the puppets roaming the streets have the level range 29~36. The mart is the largest in the game (replacing the dept. store) and there's this curious mansion... oh, the weather is Mist, like the Lesser City above it. Above? yes. The Greater City is far, far deeper underground than the Lesser City.
Attached Images
File Type: png Map01V2.png‎ (235.6 KB, 109 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: png Map02V1.png‎ (83.4 KB, 78 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Kon kata e
Namatai na kono
Nawara ba ta?

Quote:
This person has a Touhoumon hack in progress. What is Touhoumon? A touhou hack of Pokemon. In other words, this person is hacking a hack. This person is a writer as well, but has resorted to this person's old hobby of hacking as this person has been hit by a writer's block.
-Yterv Godrul
Old December 16th, 2012 (06:51 PM).
Khazadar
Shady Mapper

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by aar2697 View Post
Map Maker: aar2697
Map Name: Route 5
ROM: Fire Red
Tileset: Mew_Ryn and some of my own tiles.
Description: This is the fifth route in my ROM hack, Pokemon Silicon. It is a small route. It leads to Route 6, a much longer route. Do not take into much consideration of areas the player cannot see. Those areas don't matter much at all.
Rating: 8/10
The map is nice, but the rock placement makes it look a bit messy. Lots of rocks on the right side of the mountain part, but none on the left side. The map in general is too stuffy, as you have almost no room to move. Also, look at the upper right side of the map where it goes from rocky to grassy. See the how bad that looks? Fix that, and you got yourself an awesome map!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Map Maker: Khazadar
Map Name: Verdant City
ROM: Pokémon Delta
Tileset: Pokémon Fire Red Titles.
Description: It's a starting city, because I'm tired of the small starting towns. you start in the house longest to the left, and move down to get to the next town. When you get surf, you get the chance to battle the rocket grunt in front of the water to cross the water and continue through the cave. There is no official poke center in this city as you enter your own house for healing.
Image: Separate file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Verdant City.JPG‎ (147.5 KB, 542 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old December 17th, 2012 (12:00 PM).
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazadar View Post
Rating: 8/10
The map is nice, but the rock placement makes it look a bit messy. Lots of rocks on the right side of the mountain part, but none on the left side. The map in general is too stuffy, as you have almost no room to move. Also, look at the upper right side of the map where it goes from rocky to grassy. See the how bad that looks? Fix that, and you got yourself an awesome map!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Map Maker: Khazadar
Map Name: Verdant City
ROM: Pokémon Delta
Tileset: Pokémon Fire Red Titles.
Description: It's a starting city, because I'm tired of the small starting towns. you start in the house longest to the left, and move down to get to the next town. When you get surf, you get the chance to battle the rocket grunt in front of the water to cross the water and continue through the cave. There is no official poke center in this city as you enter your own house for healing.
Image: Separate file
Rated map:
Spoiler:

Rating: 7/10 :-)

Reason: Well, first off, props for making a starting city that's different to the average starting city. I like how you essentially 'unlock more' as you progress through the game- it's a pretty cool idea. I like the urban theme to it too, and the layout is pretty good. Having said that, I do think sometimes the trees etc. stand out a bit too much against the urban tiles, and maybe you could find something to fill their space instead- perhaps small, non-enter-able houses? You could try maybe expanding the lower section too so it's a bit taller to compensate. I just think the bottom bit is a tad bland at the moment since there's not much too it- the other sections seem fine however.

Suggestions: Less greenery mixed in with the urban tiles.
More space at the bottom.

----

Spoiler:

Map Name: Cobblestone City

Map Game: Pokemon FireRed

Comments: This is where the first Gym (look to my signature and avatar for the Gym Leader ;D) is. It is one of the first more urban-like cities in my hack, and it is pretty evident. To the north-east is an old, abandoned and apparently rumored-to-be haunted mansion. The Gym Leader likes to visit the mansion and play games with her friends there, being quite young and immature. The city has a refined taste that is hopefully expressed through the map, while still having quite a rocky and natural influence to it, hence the name.

I am planning to add my own tiles at some point, so the old FireRed tiles are mostly just placeholders at the moment.

Check out the new thread soon!

Old December 17th, 2012 (12:29 PM).
Edward Newgate
Everyone is a child of the sea
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retribution View Post
Spoiler:

Map Name: Cobblestone City

Map Game: Pokemon FireRed

Comments: This is where the first Gym (look to my signature and avatar for the Gym Leader ;D) is. It is one of the first more urban-like cities in my hack, and it is pretty evident. To the north-east is an old, abandoned and apparently rumored-to-be haunted mansion. The Gym Leader likes to visit the mansion and play games with her friends there, being quite young and immature. The city has a refined taste that is hopefully expressed through the map, while still having quite a rocky and natural influence to it, hence the name.

I am planning to add my own tiles at some point, so the old FireRed tiles are mostly just placeholders at the moment.
Rate: 7.5/10

I like the map, it's filled but not on purpose (where people start putting in random stuff to fill up the map).
Very good map !

My map:
Spoiler:

Map Name: No name, it's just a sample map I made some days ago.
ROM: Pokemon Fire Red.
Description: Just a sample map, as said before. It's the first map I made in some time, so it could have some errors I didn't see It's meant to be a forest on a mountain.

I know the water is square, just thought of that too....
- Munna
- Duosion
- Espurr
Send me a message if you add me, then I will add you too
Old December 17th, 2012 (06:48 PM).
Brane
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Alpha View Post
Rate: 7.5/10
http://imageshack.us/a/img689/6939/sampledo.png
Description: Just a sample map, as said before. It's the first map I made in some time, so it could have some errors I didn't see It's meant to be a forest on a mountain.

I know the water is square, just thought of that too....
I'd like to start off by saying that for a forest, this map is too unnatural. Considering the setting (a forest on a mountain), it looks much too organised and man-made. The paths are too straight, the trees are organised too square like and it really does not give off that feeling of a forest, nor does it make it feel like it's an important location on top of a mountain. You really want to exaggerate the idea that it's unexplored and too difficult to build cleanly on. The trees need to be spread out more, the grass needs to be spaced out and the paths are way too straight. Their definitely needs to be some sort of mountainous area, maybe minor hills that you have to move over or around. The water is also way too cleanly organised, it needs to be more natural. I'd also vary the trees, you've got the skinny tree, use it. Mixing the trees up and having them overlap each other differently will help the map immensely. Another thing that annoys me is how you've organised the edges to be like a mountain border, don't do that. It needs to cut into the area more, and you should not be able to see the other side in game, take a look at how Nintendo did the route before Mount Moon in FR/LG and see how they used that extra space. Right now the map looks too big to be played on, but if you take what I said into account it should be much better.

4/10.

Happy mapping!
Old December 18th, 2012 (05:52 AM).
DaleH771
I know who you are.

My Rate:
Spoiler:

Your map I'm afraid is far too square and unnatural as said previously. I like the layout however, there is a potential there, but the layout and design would be boring to play, as the map would be oh so very repetitive.

Overall: 5/10 - Look at my map, take some tips from how to make a map look natural from there [/spoiler]

My Map
Map Name: Some Region...
Hack of: Firered
Credits: Me for mapping, Ray Maverick for this intense tileset.
- Note I am aware of some Tile errors, I just cant be bothered to fix them..

Demo coming soon!
Old December 18th, 2012 (03:49 PM).
Brane
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleH771 View Post
My Rate:

My Map

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...psce3b769b.png
In terms of the mountainous area it's spot on, you haven't sacrificed playability and the distribution of everything flows very well. I really like how you've got all the different paths (bridges, staircases, patches of grass). The only thing I can really pick up on is the very bland area coming away from the farm to the right, the way you've aligned the trees and the completely diagonal grass patch there really weakens the feel of the map. The other thing I've noticed is the lack of the dark water tiles in the sea, it really makes it plan and ruins that bottom area of the map. Also, you should definitely chuck in some of the gray rocks in the ocean because it makes it feel much more natural, not to mention that that part of the ocean is extremely wide open? There needs to be something restricting the players and giving them a sense of direction. Other then that though, it is a very, very good map. Well done.

9/10.
Old December 21st, 2012 (06:22 PM).
KingCarini
Unhatched Egg

My Map

Rating: 9.5/10
Reason: For the most part, I think you hit the nail on the head here. There's a lot of space to work with here and I think you filled it nearly perfectly. The only thing I can say that I don't like is how the pattern of the trees changes towards the top left corner. It's quite a noticeable change in the style of tree and it seems to break the flow of the map.
Suggestion: Change the pattern of the trees in the top left corner to match that of the rest of the map.

My Map:

Map Name: doesn't have one, based off Petalburg City
Map Game: Fire Red
Comments: This is my first map so I was a little hesistant to change too much. The open area in the tree line along the bottom of the map contains an item.
Old December 25th, 2012 (06:03 AM).
Crimson Stardust
Anime Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Stardust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Crimson Stardust
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCarini View Post

My Map:

Comments: This is my first map so I was a little hesistant to change too much. The open area in the tree line along the bottom of the map contains an item.
Rate: 1/10
Reason: Unless you were trying to go for the nintendo style mapping, i don't really like the looks of it. Well it depends on everyone opinion and for me i would like to see something different so i gave you a 1 for at least trying to map and for your first map. The map is simply empty. yeah just my opinion. Try to do better..

My Map:
Map name: Route 1
Hack of : Fire Red
Credits: To the tile artist and anyone needed credits to..
Note: This is from my old hack. So ignore the empty spaces since i mapped this for the hack purpose so i left those blank since the player wont see it.
Spoiler:

Old December 26th, 2012 (07:39 AM).
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
9/10
I really like your mapping style. I do think some of the paths are a bit narrow though, that's what's holding you back from getting a 10. XD Anyway awesome job, and keep working like this.
Old December 29th, 2012 (01:19 AM). Edited December 29th, 2012 by Crimson Stardust.
Crimson Stardust
Anime Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Stardust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Crimson Stardust
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleH771 View Post
My Rate:
My Map

Sorry man..:')
Map : 7/10

Reasons: This is really a big map..and it looks stunning from first glance since it is so big i was lazy to scan the whole map. for the sake of rating i did..haha..Well how many maps is this exactly? haha..anyway the mountain really look very nice but i think you can make more improvements on them like the different level of the mountain should be look different, at least abit different instead the same shape, it will look more nice if it is different and more trees.. Now the map itself looks filled, at first glance but there is still many empty spaces which you can add something. For the trees, i don't know why you use two styles, the top look squarish(placement of trees) while the rest looks scattered. You can combine both but the way i see it does not blend together that well. All in all...haha..it is a very good map..

Note: Forgive my bad english. It is not really my first language..xD and all this is my opinion, some other people might have other opinions..

Now is my map!!!
Map Name: Give me a cool name for it..xD
Map game: Fire Red
Notes: This is the third town of my old hack if i am not wrong. It is meant to be a simple town so yeah.. and i map it for my hack so ignore the tile error at some of the place because the player wont be able to see them...and ignore the border...haha
Spoiler:

Old December 29th, 2012 (10:02 PM).
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCarini View Post
My Map:

For your first map it's okay I guess, but there are many improvements you could make to it. For one thing, the bottom two houses should be moved up a bit so that they're easier to access, one tile paths are bad. :x The lake that the city is in is completely square, it should be adjusted so it looks a bit more natural (even if you're going for a gamefreak style, most maps still aren't almost a perfect square. The majority of the map is also empty, try filling it up with decorations like flowers and a bit more path. Good effort on making your first map though. :) 2/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Stardust View Post
Now is my map!!!
Notes: This is the third town of my old hack if i am not wrong. It is meant to be a simple town so yeah..:) and i map it for my hack so ignore the tile error at some of the place because the player wont be able to see them...and ignore the border...haha
Spoiler:
This looks like a really nice map. :) Good placement of the houses, as well as filling in the map, and the natural-looking trees. The only complaint I have is that one of the houses has a bit of a narrow entrance (the middle-left one) and that almost the whole space is filled with the large pathway. But those are more personal complaints. Good job on the map, it ooks really natural and I love it! ;D 9/10
Old January 23rd, 2013 (08:00 PM).
SpadeEdge16

Rating: Map by Crimson Stardust
The whole thing looks really nice, I like the custom tiles everywhere and the greenery is placed very naturally for a small town. The only problem I have is with the building at the bottom right, it doesn't seem like it's being viewed from the same angle, like how the other houses you can see the tops of them at an angle, while this building you seem to be looking at head-on. Other than that, great map! 8/10

My map:
name: Pallet Town
game: FR
notes: I'm not trying to base this off of any kind of animated version/realistic depiction of Pallet Town, I just like the idea of having maps that are much bigger than their original size, while still being similar to the original in the game.
The player's house is on the top left, the two top right houses are Blue's and Red's, along with Oak's lab in the corner.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps2c9e807e.png
Old January 25th, 2013 (06:26 PM).
masterquestmq
Enthusiastic Rom Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
Rating: Map by Crimson Stardust
The whole thing looks really nice, I like the custom tiles everywhere and the greenery is placed very naturally for a small town. The only problem I have is with the building at the bottom right, it doesn't seem like it's being viewed from the same angle, like how the other houses you can see the tops of them at an angle, while this building you seem to be looking at head-on. Other than that, great map! 8/10

My map:
notes: I'm not trying to base this off of any kind of animated version/realistic depiction of Pallet Town, I just like the idea of having maps that are much bigger than their original size, while still being similar to the original in the game.
The player's house is on the top left, the two top right houses are Blue's and Red's, along with Oak's lab in the corner.

I'm always a fan of large maps. As for yours I think you made a solid start. Unfortunately it seems a bit empty. To big a big map like that you must ensure it's playable. My advice perhaps fill it in with more green life to fill up the map.

Other suggestions & views
a) Love the waterfall and the way its constructed well done
b) try to eliminate one box pathways to the lab cause I think Oak would of invested on proper path ways to his lab
c) Like the fact that you included oaks backyard there well done
d) Not really sure what that bridge is for cause its a pathway to nowhere as far as I can see

Other than that like I said I like big maps... Just fill it up a bit more and I think it'll be perfect

Rating: I don't rate

All the best my friend
Old January 26th, 2013 (09:17 AM).
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
Quote:
Well it seems u had a good idea of a map, and you started it pretty well, but it seems u got lazy in the making of it and left a lot of empty space that couldve been used alot better lol.

The left blue house should've have a path leading to its door as all other houses too, doesn't really make sense not having one.
I can also see that you used alot of 1 tile paths like the one to reach to Oak's lab or the waterfall on the left side, or after you cross the bridge,try to avoid 1 tile paths as much as you can, since they down the playability of a map alot.

My sugguestion would be to fill some places more with trees like some where u left them entirely alone and some ponds would'nt hurt the map. In Oaks backyard you coul maybe close it entirely and add some wild grass to make it more appealing but that is just my style.

Overall a well thought map but with some things that got forgotten, keep up the work and you might get alot better at mapping then you already are :>
Old January 27th, 2013 (02:30 PM).
Jim Boob
Freelance Mapper

Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Boob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Stardust View Post
Now is my map!!!
Notes: This is the third town of my old hack if i am not wrong. It is meant to be a simple town so yeah.. and i map it for my hack so ignore the tile error at some of the place because the player wont be able to see them...and ignore the border...haha
Spoiler:
I do really like the look of the map so it is hard to give criticism but, at first glace the building in the bottom right does look out of place, and the use of 4 different types of house on one map might be a tad to much, it looks good as a map shot but might feel odd actually playing the game. Finally having tree's covering the front of houses is something I have never seen before and I cant quite make my mind up on that so you might need another opinion.

Overall a really good map 9/10

Right ho, I have not made a map in at least a year so this was kind of a test run to see if I have completely lost it... =p
(sorry cant post pictures or url's yet, so here is the deviant art link.)
Spoiler:
Old January 27th, 2013 (06:00 PM).
masterquestmq
Enthusiastic Rom Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boob View Post
I do really like the look of the map so it is hard to give criticism but, at first glace the building in the bottom right does look out of place, and the use of 4 different types of house on one map might be a tad to much, it looks good as a map shot but might feel odd actually playing the game. Finally having tree's covering the front of houses is something I have never seen before and I cant quite make my mind up on that so you might need another opinion.

Overall a really good map 9/10

Right ho, I have not made a map in at least a year so this was kind of a test run to see if I have completely lost it... =p
Spoiler:

I love this map... simple as that.. this is exactly what a route should look like. the sheer randomness of the tree placement really shows the traits of a mapper that is aware of his/her surroundings
the grass has been placed perfectly too.
It just a simple well done map. Nothing much that one can comment further
well done

Changes
Personally say 5 more flowers randomly placed would be more than enough
That's all I can add it seems pretty flawless from my computer screen......

Rating: Don't rate but I really enjoyed your map you haven't lost your touch at all.
Old January 28th, 2013 (04:17 AM).
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
Quote:
Spoiler:
Well at first look it looks pretty decent :>

But still it feels on some parts pretty empty, for example when you come in the map from left an when you're almost at the middle it feels empty the most there, maybe some more natural palced trees could fit in there or your best option would be a sand path that kind of leads through the map, since the player wouldnt know where to go along.

Also between the spaces of the trees feels empty too for example the tree formation at bottom right, might want to fill some random little rocks, since mountains are close or even little trees.

The beach top right feels a little bit empty and unnaturaly mapped too.

Those little flowers kind off hurt my eyes when i look at them (might be just my eyes) but since it doesn't have todo with pallete lets skip it lol, but if they would be replaced with the red flowers everyone would see that theyre sometimes placed too close each other.

And i can see right now like 4 tile errors(Top Middle tree on sand,Bottom mountains here and tehre some) which aren't some errors that are unfixable though.

Overall pretty decent map, and no you didn't lost it, just gotta get the flow back;>
Old January 28th, 2013 (06:17 AM).
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Quote:
Spoiler:
I have to disagree with the other two ratings of this. It's too empty and has no consistency. It's disguised to look natural but in reality is easily maneuvered; at most, you only have to walk through two tiles of tall grass.

Diagonal maps don't really work well for Pokemon. The map would be better for any game that doesn't use a grid-based system. So overall, it's playability is pretty bad.

Rating: 3.5/10
Old January 28th, 2013 (03:05 PM).
Jim Boob
Freelance Mapper

Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Boob
Quote:
My map:
The map does not look to bad but there a few things that could be improved in my opinion, mainly the sheer size of it, i do like to see large starting towns but it does not seem like you have enough buildings to fill that amount of space that in combination with the sparsely placed tree's leaves the map with a lot of open space that would be very frustrating when actually playing the game.

Also you have done a great job of making the cliffs look natural, but then the edges of the map form a perfect square, it might be best to go with the natural look or the tradition look instead of mixing them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking on the criticisms of the last map posted was kind of difficult as hinkage rightly said it hard to make a playable diagonal map so i scraped that completely and started again.

It is meant to be a mid game route, There is probably some tile errors on the tree's I cleaned a lot of them up but I doubt I found them all at this time of night, and I am aware of the huge tile error on the back of the house but unless I decided to insert this is to a hack is not worth fixing.

(Warning fairly big map - 60x70)
Spoiler:
Old January 30th, 2013 (07:29 PM).
X80relianthope

the map above, is realy good i like the tiles but the trees seem to be spread out a little much.but im back from a long time of not mapping or rom hacking so dont take my word for it ;D

map name:none
game:ruby
credits:go to everyone from pokemon lght platnum( i legit just used the tiles and palletes, not goig into a real game so it shouldn't matter much)
extra: first map in a long time, go easy and let me know what you all think. :D
Spoiler:
Old January 31st, 2013 (02:29 PM).
SpadeEdge16

Rating map by X80relianthop: It's a pretty good base, but you could use a bit more to fill it up, like some trees in the blank spaces, also it has a mart and pokecenter, so id assume there would be people there to use them, so maybe a little house or two. These are all just things that could be added, its a nice set up for now. the only thing i dont particularly like is the bottom right where there's grass for wild pkmn in the small corner, i would say either add more throughout the map, or at least make it stand out more than being secluded in a corner.
my rating: 6/10

My map:
FR hack
name: pallet, route1, viridian city, route 22, route 2, pewter city
This will be my map for the demo that i will soon be releasing for my hack, the demo will go up through pewter city, viridian forest is also included, its the grouping of trees on route 2. I threw them all together to get an overall rating. im just trying to keep most of the original cities, but with maps edited to what i personally like, or edited for storyline purposes. Let me know what you think!
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps8d6717cc.png
also, i know its pretty small, feel free to save it so you can take a better look at it, if you wish. but if you know the kanto map, it should be pretty easy to tell what's what
Old January 31st, 2013 (06:25 PM).
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

Quote:
Rating map by X80relianthop: It's a pretty good base, but you could use a bit more to fill it up, like some trees in the blank spaces, also it has a mart and pokecenter, so id assume there would be people there to use them, so maybe a little house or two. These are all just things that could be added, its a nice set up for now. the only thing i dont particularly like is the bottom right where there's grass for wild pkmn in the small corner, i would say either add more throughout the map, or at least make it stand out more than being secluded in a corner.
my rating: 6/10

My map:
FR hack
name: pallet, route1, viridian city, route 22, route 2, pewter city
This will be my map for the demo that i will soon be releasing for my hack, the demo will go up through pewter city, viridian forest is also included, its the grouping of trees on route 2. I threw them all together to get an overall rating. im just trying to keep most of the original cities, but with maps edited to what i personally like, or edited for storyline purposes. Let me know what you think!
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps8d6717cc.png
also, i know its pretty small, feel free to save it so you can take a better look at it, if you wish. but if you know the kanto map, it should be pretty easy to tell what's what
That map, atleast for me, doesn't zoom in all the way. It's pretty blurry. Though from what I can see you're trying to adopt a "natural" mapping style type. Sadly from this far I can't spot any tile errors (I say sadly but it's normally good if there aren't tile errors :P), maybe if you post one part at a time it'd be easier.

Oh, and another thing I noticed is that you're editing existing maps. It's OK to do so and there's no problem with it, but when it's noticeable it seems a little sub par. Maybe if you changed the map connections? Like instead of the home town branching up, and the second town branching up...ect like the default Fire Red game. You should change it :)

Yeah, I can't rate you without a clear map but from what I can see it looks pretty good.

My turn!

Spoiler:

EDIT:
Credits to Kyledove and Cope for tiles
BTW You initially go from left to right

My name forum name is FBI Agent, though a lot of kids call me FBI because they're lazy. I run an ASM request/resource thread feel free to request me any cool ideas you have!

My current projects:
- Nothing right now. Gief request
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links