The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old December 19th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Theik
Fancy Cape Knight

From experience I can tell you that gamers will generally just put the slider all the way up, thinking their computer can handle it. Instead I would suggest:

Large, normal, small, tiny, custom

Put large at like 30, then tell them that going above that in custom can seriously hamper rendering speeds. That way you won't get complaints that "my computer can't handle it at max settings and I got a blablabla".
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theik View Post
From experience I can tell you that gamers will generally just put the slider all the way up, thinking their computer can handle it. Instead I would suggest:

Large, normal, small, tiny, custom

Put large at like 30, then tell them that going above that in custom can seriously hamper rendering speeds. That way you won't get complaints that "my computer can't handle it at max settings and I got a blablabla".
Alright thanks for the idea, but 30 is too big a number for large, I am thinking about half of that, because I am rendering 5 chunks and it already is loading much more than you'd expect.

As for biomes, what do all of you suggest? (Don't ask basics such as Forests, Deserts, ect.)
Old December 20th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Theik
Fancy Cape Knight

Other than the basic biomes, what is there really to add?

You got your forest, your taiga, your vast plains of snow and ice, your desert, your jungle... there's really only so many different biomes you can make if you're trying to stick to a realistic world. I think the big chance at something original that minecraft hasn't done would be to extend biomes to underground and ocean as well.

Have your plain ocean, your coral reefs, your seaweed mazes, etc. Obviously only useful if underwater content is something you will add, but it's just a random idea of the top of my head.

As for caves? Mushroom caves, underwater caves (not so much located underwater, but caves with water inside of them so you have to swim through the caves), jungle caves, dwarven mines, whatever.

It shouldn't be too hard to come up with some ideas if you know a basic direction you want your game to go in.
Old December 20th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
Crysal/Ore Biomes:
Islands or landscapes contain various ores, or built out of crystals. Very rare to find, and requires high upgrades to harvest.

Underwater Landscapes:
Such things like Atlantis, cities or small towns engulfed underwater, with treasure or goods lying there in wait for you. Of course this would require some form of sea diving armor.

Dead Landscape:
Landscapes with burning trees and/or dungeons on the surface, farming and water cannot be found here, nor can any friendly signs of life.

Can't think of much more. If I do, I'll let you know.
Old December 20th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Alright then, these are great ideas for biomes, I guess I should also include blocks and items to go alongside of it all.

here's a small list of blocks:
Spoiler:

Obvious Stuff First:
Dirt/Grass/Soil (Soil is dirt used with a hoe)
Stone/Cobblestone/Stone Bricks
Sand/Sandstone/Sandstone Bricks
Gravel
Coal
Leaves
Logs (includes all various kinds)
Wood (includes all various kinds)

Ores and Ore Blocks:
Tin
Iron
Steel
Silver
Gold
Titanium
Space Metal (Not sure what to call it, but it comes from Meteors and space crafts)

Gems and Gem Blocks:
Ruby
Sapphire
Emerald
Diamond
Crystal

Other Blocks:
Meteor
Piston (Might take some work, but it'll be in there)

a small list of items:

Spoiler:

Crafting Items (includes some blocks listed first):
Log
Wood
Stone/Cobblestone
Sand
Sandstone
Tin bar (I name them bar instead of ingot)
Iron bar
Steel bar
Titanium bar
Space Metal bar (as said in the block section, I don't know what to call it)

Block Items:
Lever
Switch (same as above except smaller)
Wood/Stone/Metal Button
Wood/Stone/Metal Pressure Plate
Wires (tin being the worst and space metal wires being the best, replaces redstone)
Torch (Unlike Minecraft, if you hold this it still emits light)
Light (Various types, such as light poles, lamps, ect.) Requires electricity

Generators:
Motor (You must have a generator to make electricity, fueled by coal, wooden things, and gas)
Windmill (Requires wind)
Watermill (Requires water)
Solar Panel (Requires sunlight + space metal, but produces a lot of energy)
Batteries (All of which can be recharged, of course we get the small/medium/large/ect.)

Tools/Weapons/Armors:
Spoiler:

Tool/Weapon/Armor Materials are:
Wood
Stone
and Metals

Tools include:
Pickaxes
Axes
Hoes
Shovels

Weapons include:
Swords (different kinds such as daggers, broad swords, scimitars, ect.)
Bows (Short bow, Long bow, and Crossbow)
Guns (pistol, AK-47, ect.)

Armors are pretty obvious:
Head
Body
Legs
Boots

The only exception to metal tools are gold and silver, these are considered in the same category as gems.

Gems are considered as currency, depending on where you are some gems are worth more.

If some of this seems out of place, it's because this revolves around multiple timeline options, you aren't just fixed to one time period.

You are free to suggest anything else that you might want in the game, of course it may take a while to add some, but all the good ideas will be added for sure.

Don't Suggest things that are FAR out of reach, I know I did, but it's so no one else suggests something to replace redstone. (Not sure if anyone was, but just for in case)
Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:47 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Updates:

Terrain generation is now great right? But, still it needs some speed optimizations. (Also, I somehow broke the shadows : /)
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links