The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:06 AM
curiousnathan
woop woop

Nature: Careful

Advertise here
I've recently been watching the latest episodes and I've finally come to the conclusion, that for some reason, the pokemon battles in the anime aren't as good as they used to be? I don't know quite how to describe it.

I've found, especially during the Unova arc, that battles were really chunky and inconsistent. To clarify somewhat, I don't think they maintain the 'flow' that battles in previous seasons (even in the Sinnoh arc), had. Battles are either interrupted after most moves by characters who say something rather obvious and pointless or are interrupted after both sides have made their attacks. I've also noticed, for myself personally, that the pokemon battles have become a bit stingy and bland. Pokemon are too easily knocked out, and I've never really seen a pokemon battle in this arc where there's been a decent and consistent string of attacks.

Spoiler:
A prime example of this is during one of the more recent episodes of the saga. Where, Cynthia and Caitlin battle it out and the Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup. (Mind you, this is only a rough example.) I was really looking forward to that battle, and I was heavily disappointed with how it turned out. The battle was chopped up into little blocks. It felt too systematic. Simply put, the battle didn't maintain any flow.

Caitlin attacked with flatter, Garchomp was confused. Let's stop here. Firstly, I don't understand with being a Champion and with battling with such a strong Pokemon, Cynthia wasn't able to avoid or somehow block flatter. It was almost like Garchomp just stood there. No scratch that, it did just stand there. Let's continue:

Useless dialogue. Caitlin then used Psychic. Useless dialogue. Cynthia attacked, then Caitlin blocked it. More useless dialogue.

See, the dialogue really annoys me, it breaks the battles up unecessarily, and for me, it really reduces the excitment and drama that pokemon battling should have.

Anyway, tell me your thoughts. I'm really interested to know! Do you share the same view as I? Yes? Cool! If not? Why not?
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
I agree but disagree. There are a good few battles that are really good. Such as this morning in Serperior vs Pignite. Also, there have been a few good matches in the Don Battle Tournaments.

However, I do agree that a lot of the battles are broken up. THe pain reason for that though is because all the rivals are there. They try to let everyone say something during the episode that is around which is understandable.
Old December 18th, 2012, 01:05 AM
awawaw2

Nature: Relaxed
Yeah i want that the battles now would look like the battle vs charizard and blaziken in the hoenn tournament. That battle was just epic.
Old December 18th, 2012, 01:39 AM
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More

Nature: Lonely
Uhh yea I agree with you 100 percent. I felt that Unova had the most anticlimactic and systematic battles of the generations. Some frankly scarecely make sense. I'm almost certain the other battles in the junoir cup will be more exciting but, I will admit I was dissapointed when I expected an awesome match from my fav champion.

I think the sinnoh region juring the league had the best battles or just all throughout overall. My fav being Ash vs Paul...Anyway if they took the approch of organising battles like they did then or even in the B/w2 Animated promo they wouldnt have a problem.
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Gameb0y
Pokemon Trainer Since '98

Nature: Relaxed
I agree with you all the way. The quality of battles definitely sunk. Look at an older battle like Ash vs Gary in the Silver Conference. Ash would use some good strategies (sounds crazy but he actually did back then). His Charizard couldn't come near Blastoise, so what he did was burn the field which immobolized blastoise, and the only option left for gary was to hydro pump the field to cool it down but in doing that it filled the arena with steam so blastoise couldn't see. By the time it cleared up Charizard got close in range with blastoise and was able to finish him off. You look at the battles afterwords and you see some weird stuff like Ash having his pikachu shock his own swellow and that gave swellow a thunder armor....a thunder armor. Its a shame what battles have turned into nowadays.
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:14 PM
PeanutButterGamer
Unhatched Egg

i think ash should just go he got to bad at battleing....that B/W2 promo trailer was awesome that should be the new animie it would have more veiws more epic battles and so on so forth.
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
Bear in mind the battle between Cynthia and Caitlin was a exhibition match, so friendly discussion between the two isn't something I wasn't expecting. Honestly neither were really trying it seems.

The battles in BW as a whole seem uninspired and just lack from the beginning to the end. Something I thought was going to be a big part of Best Wishes, Don Battle turned into a flop. As mentioned earlier they consisted of everyone making their opinion and less focus on the actual battle. There was more dialogue then actually battle scenes which devalued the tournaments. And all the battles felt rushed which is funny considering they were all one on one matches. What I dislike about BW mostly is the lack of expansive battles, they never last too long. Its really sad when a three on three battle is something you look forward too. Intially I was expecting more, like with the 5 on 5 early on between Ash and Trip, but just like their rivalry the notion that I was going to get full quality matches deteriorated. The gym matches were horridly written for the most part as well, yeah Seawaddle evo against Burgh, Roggenrola evolution against Clay, and Tranquill evo against Skyla so basically the reliance on evolving to win a match? As I already said the rivalry had much to be desired especially after we had Ash vs. Paul which was consistently a good rivalry. I doubt the N & Plasma arc will do much to change any of this since its focus will mainly be on Plasma related things like Genesect construction at P2 lab.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old December 20th, 2012, 08:38 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I agree with Kenshin. There was a bit too much dialogue in the Don Battles and the World Tournament Junior Cup. It would've been nice if we could see the full battles, but I'm guessing the writers cut them short on purpose to save time.

Old December 20th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Cid
Find your niche.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Cid Send a message via Skype™ to Cid
Honestly I haven't noticed all this when I watched BW. But looking back, I think I have to agree with Nathan and Kenshin. Some battles have been a bit lackluster recently, although for some reason I'm also starting to think that they're slowly becoming more similar to the turn-based battles that the main series of games had. I mean the abilities are exploited, attacks clash less, dodges are less common (although still common), and it feels a bit more technical and scripted. Less dynamic, in a way. I don't know if they were going for that, but yeah I'm a bit disappointed with the result, if it means that the battles get boring to watch.
Old December 20th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Lost Christmas
Extra coated with nice hot syrup!
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Counter moves are annoying to be honest if you watch the rest of that episode you see that Cynthia's Garchomp uses dragon rush to break free of her psychic, No offence but a power psychic type like that should have it's Psychic attack broken so easy.

Plus wouldn't you expect it to have a counter to physical attacks? something like Reflect maybe.... But no... Nothing... :s

~ Shihoko Hirata feat. Lotus - Beauty of Destiny ~
Hi I'm Adam ~ Showdown ~ VM ~ MyAnimeList ~

Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:17 PM
Balkoni
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious. View Post
I've found, especially during the Unova arc, that battles were really chunky and inconsistent. To clarify somewhat, I don't think they maintain the 'flow' that battles in previous seasons (even in the Sinnoh arc), had. Battles are either interrupted after most moves by characters who say something rather obvious and pointless or are interrupted after both sides have made their attacks.
I just watched Ash facing Clay and now that you mention it, I think you are totally right... The battles lately are interrupted very often and it kinda destroys the motivation
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here