Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio
Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Old November 20th, 2012, 06:04 AM
godlesplay

sprite on the left is better IMO
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by godlesplay View Post
sprite on the left is better IMO
Thanks for the input. I prefer that one as well, honestly, but I'm a bit biased since its the one I made.

Also, if you guys can think of any other bugs that I haven't mentioned fixing in that post, by all means feel free to point them out. I'm also open to suggestions on other improvements you guys might think of.

Old November 20th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
Thanks for the input. I prefer that one as well, honestly, but I'm a bit biased since its the one I made.

Also, if you guys can think of any other bugs that I haven't mentioned fixing in that post, by all means feel free to point them out. I'm also open to suggestions on other improvements you guys might think of.
One on the right is too dark, so don't think you're biased. It (on the left) does look better.

Cyclone
"Y'know...my Emolga really wants to shock your Dedenne."

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old November 21st, 2012, 12:19 PM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
One on the right is too dark, so don't think you're biased. It (on the left) does look better.

Cyclone
Sounds good, thanks. So far (between here and Skeetendo) it looks like the current sprite is winning.

Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:07 AM
NeonBlue27
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Impish
Hello there!

I've been playing this hack over the past few days, and I've enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm up to Vermillion City now, and it's been quite a fun ride. Most of the game seems new while still having the old charm.

That said, there are a few disappointments.

Spoiler:
Some of the major text has been left unaltered, making things rather strange. For example, RED talks almost exactly like LANCE.

A few major events feel like they should have been modified more. Mostly because they end up being carbon copies of old events. The old man on the boat still loses his granddaughter, the Red Gyarados is still in the Lake of Rage, etc.

This last one's just personal opinion... But the fourth wall breaks with MATEO kind of bother me. It sort of kills the vibe, you know?

On a brighter note, I've attached a little doodle I did of one particular scene that struck me as rather... I dunno, surreal? Not to mention amusing.
Attached Images
File Type: png single.png‎ (211.2 KB, 37 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:37 AM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Glad you've been enjoying it! And thank you for posting those disappointments. Some of those I had already thought of, but others I hadn't so I will try to improve those for the upcoming update. I really do appreciate the feedback.

Also, nice doodle! Haha, yeah it is a little surreal for her to say that, but I thought it would be funny. (and apparently I was right, haha!)

Old December 2nd, 2012, 11:33 AM
NeonBlue27
Unhatched Egg

I'm not sure disappointments is the right word. They didn't really make the game less enjoyable...

By the way, was that Vaporeon a reference to something? There's only one other situation I've seen in the hack that has a talking Pokemon, and it was a reference... plus I know you've mentioned that the hack has references to your other works in it.

Oh, in-game she actually said "simgle". Minor smelli- er, spelling mistake.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 11:51 AM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

She was indeed a reference to something, although it wasn't a game or movie. It was a reference to 4chan's /vp/ board, where (at least at one point) it was common to see posts like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous
Are you simgle, Master?
I don't go to 4chan that often by any means, but since someone there did a livestream of them playing it after I posted a link to it on /vp/ I figured I would add in a reference to /vp/ while I was fixing the bugs they found.

Addition:
Some of the references to my other works are in Kanto, though. Some people in Viridian City have the exact same dialogue they have in the current demo of Secrets and Rumours, someone refers to a trainer finding a rare Pokemon on the docks 3 years ago (another reference to SaR), My NPC refers to SaR as if it were Red Version in the entrance to the Pal Park. There are others too, those are just a few.

There are also a few hints at the upcoming prequel, Pokemon Spirits and Legends. For example, the Ace Trainer in the Secret Base uses the Default name of the protagonist from that hack. Ragged Clif Gate talks about coming back in warmer weather, because those routes will be available in the prequel (when it isn't snowy). There are a few more references I've included while working on the update as well.

Last edited by Mateo; December 2nd, 2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Adding some other references.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:13 PM
NeonBlue27
Unhatched Egg

...Holy Mew that is possibly the cutest Vaporeon I have ever seen.

Wait... references in Kanto? Ah! Heh... Now I get the whole "someone moved the truck" line. It didn't even occur to me before.

I have, admittedly, not played SaR. I might at some point, but I tend to avoid stuff with Fakemon... because I've never really liked them.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:22 PM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Haha, it is definitely a cute Vaporeon. No idea who drew it though. But yeah, that's what that line was about haha. I wanted to be a bit vague so I wouldn't spoil too much since you said you are only in Vermillion. Also, I think its already been mentioned in the thread before, but there is something you can do in Kanto that will trigger something in Johto too.

Also, I'm generally the same way when it comes to Fakemon, and currently the only Pokegod you can obtain is Pikablu (who uses Marill's sprites, because Pikablu was Marill). The exception to me was because I grew up hearing those rumours, and some were based on old artwork and beta Pokemon designs, so they don't bother me like most Fakemon.

Old December 9th, 2012, 10:44 PM
chmaster
Unhatched Egg

Hey Mateo, somehow this hack can't be played with GBC mode + SGB border, while the original gold version can. This hack can be played with SGB color + border, or GBC color without the border. Of course, it doesn't affect the quality of this hack, which is a great one. Just feel weird. Perhaps something is wrong. Again, this hack is a nice job.
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll see if I can figure out what the problem is while I'm working on the Update for later this month.

Old December 21st, 2012, 10:58 AM
LightOfTruth
Likes Hacks and Official Games

A great hack to play at Christmas :D

Get some Sims 3 stuff now

Old December 22nd, 2012, 01:40 AM
jdcyh4
Unhatched Egg

Why can't I see the screenshots?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 02:17 PM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Not sure why the screenshots wouldn't be loading for you. Imageshack.us is the host I used for them, so I guess they might have been having technical difficulties when you tried to load it. That's the only thing I can think of :/

Also, I'm going to try to have the upgrade posted either on Christmas or New Years (depending on how much time I get to work on it, you know what with real-life Christmas things going on and all). But the update seems to be coming along nicely.

To re-state, the new update will add small tweaks throughout, and add some new things as well. Most of the new things will be added to improve Kanto (since as you all know it wasn't changed as much as Johto) but there will be additions to Johto as well. Well, back to hacking. Happy Christmas, guys!

Old January 7th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Seppy
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Started and at the moment playing it.
I'd like to say that the hack is done pretty well, the snowy maps are a nice idea and those little changes are quite nice. The fact that the story continues after the actual one is nice, but it ain't so different after all, the base is always the same (still, great work changing it). What i really liked is the replacement of the rival with the daughter, much a better and more nice character to join in the adventure.
At least i can say that i started the hack during the Christmas holidays haha, still nice job, some stuff were quite cute, like the presents to substitute the egg. Nice hack indeed to have in my little computer collection to play on the emulator.
This signature has been disabled.
Your signature exceeds the height limit. Max height is 350px.
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Thanks for your support and feedback, Seppy. I've been trying to go through and tweak and change more things (both in the main story, and in minor things) to make it feel less "samey". Hoping to have this update out soon.

And speaking of that update, here is a little video showing off one of these additions (and the custom ASM routine to allow me to have more than just 2 backsprites in the game). Huge thanks to Miksy91 for "sitting down with me" and teaching me that basics of Assembly, without that I would never have been able to make this work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ozfHQFhPns

Wanting to get some feedback on this to decide if this part should stay as it is, or be changed before release. Personally, I think its a pretty funny scenario for what you will have to do to fight Erika (and it is at least somewhat based on the Anime), but like I say, wanting some feedback on what you guys as players think of it.

Old January 27th, 2013, 01:18 PM
BCTElite
Novice Hacker

Nature: Lax
Looks great, and a christmas hack, different :D
Ma DA - http://bctelite.deviantart.com/
- My Hack
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:28 PM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTElite View Post
Looks great, and a christmas hack, different :D
Glad you enjoy it! Also, I've been trying to make sure it is different enough that it can be enjoyed even when it isn't the holiday season. I've been working on adding a lot to a new update that will hopefully be out soon. I updated the first post to have a section for "Upcoming Features" where you can see some of them.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:47 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
I updated the first post to have a section for "Upcoming Features"... including also other unexplained neat stuff such as minor spoilers and references to other hacks out there.
No, just kidding followers! I mean... this is Pokemon Christmas hack. Why would there be such features in it ?

Also, nice new avatar you've got there. I like it
My Rom Hack

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:26 PM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Thanks mate, glad you like the av. I tried out a few of them before deciding on this one haha.

Also, Miksy is right. There definitely is could be a reference to another hack in this upcoming update, and not just the references to the prequel.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:54 PM
jwibagi
Finally Hacking Again, Slowly

Great to see how much you're progressing through this - I've watched this hack grow from just having a snow tileset to having battle machines.

Once you're ready to release a demo, you should think about posting more screenshots. That way you can show some of the many new features you've implemented.
Dude, Where's My Pokemon?
A short adventure to retrieve a stolen Pokemon.
This hack is a work in progress - spriters are welcome to help.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:00 PM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwibagi View Post
Great to see how much you're progressing through this - I've watched this hack grow from just having a snow tileset to having battle machines.

Once you're ready to release a demo, you should think about posting more screenshots. That way you can show some of the many new features you've implemented.
Probably a good call! I'll see about getting a few screens up even before the release to show off some of the things without giving too much away. I might even link to that Youtube video with the "girl" backsprite in the first post as well.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:32 PM
CrystalMarina

Nature: Quiet
I just downloaded the 2012 version and its pretty cool so far. I love how you brought Crystal back, even if she isn't playable. I have a question though (sorry if its been answered already). On the new one you talk about, will our old save files still work, or will we need to start over? Either one is okay, just curious since you said it would be out soon.
To catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:36 PM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Your old save files would be buggy if you started over with them. You would miss a lot of events from where I've redone things earlier in the game, and the player's sprite would look wrong when walking and biking, among other things. Long story short, best idea to start a new game when I get the new one out. Sorry about that, though. But hey glad you're enjoying it so far!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links