The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:28 AM
FRANKTANK

Damn dude. This looks awesome. FireRed is my favorite Gen 3 game but Ruby was the first one I played so this hack will be my favorite Gen 3 + nostalgia. And of course there's the updated sprites, move backgrounds, and graphics. I will be anxiously awaiting this.
Old December 4th, 2012, 04:21 PM
FlygonMan

I cant find the download, is there 1?
Old December 4th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlygonMan View Post
I cant find the download, is there 1?
There aren't any releases yet. I'm planning on releasing an Alpha once I finish up to & including Viridian Forest.

Alternatively I could release an alpha now that ends at Route 1, but I want to give you guys a little more to play with than just a tiny bit.

But until I release an Alpha, I will provide little tidbits of stuff to keep you guys interested:

This will be the main method of obtaining berries in the game, and it will reset every time you enter the area (as a way to compensate for lack of day/night).

Also I changed the battle textbox again because the other one didn't look so good on actual hardware. This is the final one:

EDIT: Also, here's some more DarkViolet music!

Green's Theme - This is Green's overworld theme. If you're a fan of the Mother/EarthBound series, you might notice a little musical quote I threw in at the end. This is an original song I composed.

Red's Theme - This is Red's overworld theme. Same as Green's, but lower, just like how in R/S/E, Brendan's theme is a lower version of May's theme (same with Lucas/Dawn in D/P/Pt, and Ethan/Lyra in HG/SS)

Route 1 - edited from an HG/SS midi

Wild Battle - a slightly edited version of the Mew battle theme from Pokémon Emerald.

Last edited by Chaos Rush; December 4th, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Minor stuff:

I have successfully implemented Jambo51's mugshot hack thingy, allowing me to choose a mugshot for any trainer I want, and use any palette I want.

And I have several new maps completed, and I'm letting you see them in their entirety:
Route 1
Viridian City
Route 22
Route 2

Comments? Suggestions?
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful
Not bad on the routes that you mapped. They're pretty unique.
Old December 12th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Heracles4

This looks awesome. I tip my hat, and wait for the alpha release

I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old December 13th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Charizardlvl.98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
Minor stuff:
I have successfully implemented Jambo51's mugshot hack thingy, allowing me to choose a mugshot for any trainer I want, and use any palette I want.

And I have several new maps completed

Comments? Suggestions?
Actually, I don't comment often, I do have some suggestions. Skotein, a youtube artist of pokemon music, makes some great reorchestrated stuff. So maybe for the soft music use one or two of his songs. (They are on his homepage in playlists.) Also, I know this won't happen, but maybe do a DJtheFishhead jazz remix for lavender town and possibly his battle remix for maybe a super nerd or scientist or something. But other than that recommendation, great job so far, and keep up the good work. I look forward to playing this. Or maybe the Pokemon Epic! - battle theme for some random trainer or something.
Old December 13th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charizardlvl.98 View Post
Actually, I don't comment often, I do have some suggestions. Skotein, a youtube artist of pokemon music, makes some great reorchestrated stuff. So maybe for the soft music use one or two of his songs. (They are on his homepage in playlists.) Also, I know this won't happen, but maybe do a DJtheFishhead jazz remix for lavender town and possibly his battle remix for maybe a super nerd or scientist or something. But other than that recommendation, great job so far, and keep up the good work. I look forward to playing this.
I am doing all of the custom music myself, as I know a lot about music (I'm 1st chair Clarinet in my high school's band, I also play saxophone, and I also sing, and I am in my school's top choir).

A lot of the songs will just be GBA-ified versions of HG/SS songs (thanks to Jambo51's 12 direct sound hack). Rather than using HG/SS instruments, I'm still limiting myself to R/S/E/FR/LG instruments, because I am keeping a couple songs from the original FireRed ROM completely unchanged (such as Celadon City).

Several songs will be key-adjusted versions of their FR/LG versions, because in FR/LG they changed the keys of a lot of remixes. I want the songs to be heard in the original key that they were composed in during the 1st Generation games. For instance, in R/G/B/Y, the Vermilion City theme is in the key of A. In FR/LG, they changed it to the key of D and made it sound dumb, so I'm going to change it back to the key of A. Because I have perfect pitch (this is why I can identify key signatures so easily), this is really easy for me to do.

Some FR/LG still sound stupid no matter what key I change it to, such as the FR/LG battle theme, so I'll be composing a new R/S/E-style remix for that.

And finally, R/S/E has my favorite soundtrack. I've ported the Poke Mart theme, the "Follow Me!" theme, and the Hall of Fame room theme from R/S/E, and unlike lots of FireRed hacks, I've made it so that it sounds exactly like it does in R/S/E. I've seen FireRed hacks where people try and port songs from R/S/E and make it fit with FireRed voicegroups, which is just bad. I've ported all of the missing drum samples straight from Emerald into my FireRed ROM, and I actually make new voicegroups rather than re-using ones already in the game.

Random, but here's some more screens since there won't be any playable stuff for a while:

And some more screens of attacks:

New Hydro Pump animation

(I actually completed all of these animations back in October)
Old December 14th, 2012, 04:57 PM
timson733333
Me gusta.

Nature: Quiet
I think Dragon Pulse and Flash Cannon should use different animations, but that's just me. And is it possible to import a custom Focus Blast background?

The hack looks really good. Keep it up

Learning how to hex edit. I'm not advanced in any way, and rely on tools most of the time.

deviantArt | YouTube
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:36 PM
SlicedDelta
Unhatched Egg

So excited for this hack. It looks absolutely incredible. Loving the custom animations.
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Shiny Zard
Call me Iroh.:Zard Collector:

This is looking greatt! But just wondering, but will EVERTHING from Red and blue be here? Cause that would be so sick xD
͡๏_͡๏
٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶
≧△≦
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by timson733333 View Post
I think Dragon Pulse and Flash Cannon should use different animations, but that's just me. And is it possible to import a custom Focus Blast background?

The hack looks really good. Keep it up
Dragon Pulse might change, but idk a better idea. Besides, in the Gen III games, lots of Dragon moves had fire effects. Also, Outrage has a new animation, it now has the blue flames background that my new Dragon-type moves have. As for Flash Cannon, the Signal Beam animation is the only move with red circles, so I chose that.

And I am not making anymore backgrounds, since it was a total pain in the rear to add the backgrounds. I had to first repoint and expand the background table, then insert custom graphics & tilemaps into free space, then manually point to that free space with a hex editor.

On the bright side, I'm open for new animation ideas that don't involve new backgrounds, since it's really easy to make a new animation. It's a separate table, that PGE supports, so all I have to do to make a new animation is to change the animation offset for whatever attack with PGE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Zard View Post
This is looking greatt! But just wondering, but will EVERTHING from Red and blue be here? Cause that would be so sick xD
Care to elaborate on what you mean by "EVERYTHING from Red and blue"? Yeah, I've said this will be very different from FR/LG, but this is still a Kanto game, and this is still a remake of the original games. "EVERYTHING" will be there, even though I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. I'm not removing anything.

except I'm removing Poke Marts and merging them with Pokemon Centers like in the Unova games, lol
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Charizardlvl.98

Quote:
I am doing all of the custom music myself, as I know a lot about music (I'm 1st chair Clarinet in my high school's band, I also play saxophone, and I also sing, and I am in my school's top choir).

A lot of the songs will just be GBA-ified versions of HG/SS songs (thanks to Jambo51's 12 direct sound hack). Rather than using HG/SS instruments, I'm still limiting myself to R/S/E/FR/LG instruments, because I am keeping a couple songs from the original FireRed ROM completely unchanged (such as Celadon City).

Several songs will be key-adjusted versions of their FR/LG versions, because in FR/LG they changed the keys of a lot of remixes. I want the songs to be heard in the original key that they were composed in during the 1st Generation games. For instance, in R/G/B/Y, the Vermilion City theme is in the key of A. In FR/LG, they changed it to the key of D and made it sound dumb, so I'm going to change it back to the key of A. Because I have perfect pitch (this is why I can identify key signatures so easily), this is really easy for me to do.

Some FR/LG still sound stupid no matter what key I change it to, such as the FR/LG battle theme, so I'll be composing a new R/S/E-style remix for that.

And finally, R/S/E has my favorite soundtrack. I've ported the Poke Mart theme, the "Follow Me!" theme, and the Hall of Fame room theme from R/S/E, and unlike lots of FireRed hacks, I've made it so that it sounds exactly like it does in R/S/E. I've seen FireRed hacks where people try and port songs from R/S/E and make it fit with FireRed voicegroups, which is just bad. I've ported all of the missing drum samples straight from Emerald into my FireRed ROM, and I actually make new voicegroups rather than re-using ones already in the game.
Ok, sounds good. I understand completely. Being a music guy myself (played piano for a while) I see what your trying to do. Good luck with the music. (Glad your using the follow me for the mart. don't know why, I love the sound of that) The animations are also great as well. I didn't realize you were going to do all the new moves. And I didn't know scald was in hgss (from previous tm comment). Will the tms not "break" after use? and will we be able to buy all tms? Will signal beam still be a move?
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
Ok, sounds good. I understand completely. Being a music guy myself (played piano for a while) I see what your trying to do. Good luck with the music. (Glad your using the follow me for the mart. don't know why, I love the sound of that) The animations are also great as well. I didn't realize you were going to do all the new moves. And I didn't know scald was in hgss (from previous tm comment). Will the tms not "break" after use? and will we be able to buy all tms? Will signal beam still be a move?
I think you misread what I said a little. I said that I ported the Mart theme from Emerald, and I also ported the Follow Me theme from Emerald. The Follow Me theme is NOT the mart theme. The R/S/E Mart theme will be used in the Celadon City department store, since I'm merging Pokemon Centers and Poke Marts.

If you read the first post, I said that I'm not adding all Gen IV and V moves. I added 113 new moves, most from Gen IV, some from Gen V, and some custom moves. Scald was never in HG/SS, it's a Gen V move, and it's also a move that is one of the 113 added moves in DarkViolet.

From the first post:
Quote:
*113 new moves added. Over half of them are Gen IV moves, a few Gen V moves, and a few custom moves. No old moves were replaced, thus there is now a total of 467 moves. At the time of posting this thread, I have spent the past two months working on a ROM base that contains these added moves, which this hack is based off of
And yes, Signal Beam is still a move. No moves were deleted.

Last edited by Chaos Rush; December 14th, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:36 PM
kebbles
Rom Hacker.

Nature: Brave
The hack is turning out to be my favourite on here, I love all the music you have inserted and from the sounds of things you really know what your doing because the music is really good quality work.
The battle boxes are really awesome, they match everything really nice,
One question though, will Cinnabar Volcano have erupted in your timeline seeing your using the HG/SS Kanto maps?

When the world is in its final moments..
Where will you be?
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebbles View Post
The hack is turning out to be my favourite on here, I love all the music you have inserted and from the sounds of things you really know what your doing because the music is really good quality work.
The battle boxes are really awesome, they match everything really nice,
One question though, will Cinnabar Volcano have erupted in your timeline seeing your using the HG/SS Kanto maps?
This hack takes place before the volcano erupted. Therefore, Cinnabar Island will be present in all of its 1st Gen glory, with the lab, the burned mansion, the Gym, and all that. The shape of the island will be the same as in HG/SS however, I'm going to try and make it look like what the HG/SS Cinnabar Island was 3 years ago.

Also guys, keep in mind that even though my maps are heavily based off of HG/SS layouts, there will still be some changes. This hack is not being designed as a new HG/SS prequel, this hack is an entirely separate canon from the official games. This hack is part of a planned series that I call, "The Pokémon Saga". Even though it's unrealistic that I will finish the series in its entirety, I'm going to work on my hacks with the assumption that they'll all be finished. That being said, the sequel to Pokémon DarkViolet will be called Pokémon DarkCrystal, and it will basically be a G/S/C/HG/SS remake, but taking place within the Pokémon Saga timeline, meaning that it will acknowledge events from Pokémon DarkViolet, rather than the official games. As for what that has to do with Cinnabar Island, in the planned sequel to this hack, Pokémon DarkCrystal, Cinnabar will have erupted by then.
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Charizardlvl.98

Quote:
I think you misread what I said a little. I said that I ported the Mart theme from Emerald, and I also ported the Follow Me theme from Emerald. The Follow Me theme is NOT the mart theme. The R/S/E Mart theme will be used in the Celadon City department store, since I'm merging Pokemon Centers and Poke Marts.

If you read the first post, I said that I'm not adding all Gen IV and V moves. I added 113 new moves, most from Gen IV, some from Gen V, and some custom moves. Scald was never in HG/SS, it's a Gen V move, and it's also a move that is one of the 113 added moves in DarkViolet.

From the first post:

And yes, Signal Beam is still a move. No moves were deleted.
Yea, I didn't see the comma in the post. I did read the first post, just not as in depth. The music choice is fine, since it's your decision. Will you be releasing custom moves in screenshots?
Old December 18th, 2012, 03:56 PM
UtopiaRay
Pokemon Champion

This is really awesome! A Kanto remake and the graphics are completely amazing i look forward to playing this!
Old December 18th, 2012, 03:58 PM
dreamengine

Quote:
Yea, I didn't see the comma in the post. I did read the first post, just not as in depth. The music choice is fine, since it's your decision. Will you be releasing custom moves in screenshots?
He already released two custom moves in the first posts, Draco Bullet and Wind Shatter I think
Old December 18th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamengine View Post
He already released two custom moves in the first posts, Draco Bullet and Wind Shatter I think
Here are all the moves added to the game:
Spoiler:
355. Roost
356. Brain Freeze
357. Iron Wheel
358. Bad Weather
359. Hammer Arm
360. Wake-up Slap
361. Metal Blast
362. Water Drain
363. Wind Shatter (Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres exclusive move)
364. Matter Bend (Mewtwo, Mew exclusive move)
*365. Fierce Beast (Raikou, Entei, Suicune exclusive move)
*366. Fairy Voice (Celebi exclusive move)
*367. Blind Slam (Regirock, Regice, Registel exclusive move)
368. Draco Bullet
369. U-turn
370. Close Combat
371. Ice Claw
372. Assurance
*373. Ocean Rift (Kyogre exclusive move)
*374. Earth Rift (Groudon exclusive move)
375. Venom Cannon
*376. Purity Wave (Azelf, Mesprit, Uxie exclusive move)
377. Flame Burst
378. Sludge Wave
379. Night Scream (Gastly, Haunter, Gengar exclusive move)
380. Icicle Crash
381. Scald
382. Static Hit
383. Copycat
384. Volt Switch
385. Mud Shower
386. Struggle Bug
387. Inferno
388. Shadow Smash
389. Bulldoze
390. Drill Run
391. Heart Break
392. Heart Stamp
393. Hurricane
394. Flare Blitz
395. Force Palm
396. Aura Sphere
397. Rock Polish
398. Poison Jab
399. Dark Pulse
400. Night Slash
401. Aqua Tail
402. Seed Bomb
403. Air Slash
404. X-Scissor
405. Bug Buzz
406. Dragon Pulse
407. Dragon Rush
408. Power Gem
409. Drain Punch
410. Vacuum Wave
411. Focus Blast
412. Energy Ball
413. Brave Bird
414. Earth Power
415. Switcheroo
416. Giga Impact
417. Nasty Plot
418. Bullet Punch
419. Avalanche
420. Ice Shard
421. Shadow Claw
422. Thunder Fang
423. Ice Fang
424. Fire Fang
425. Shadow Sneak
426. Mud Bomb
427. Psycho Cut
428. Zen Headbutt
429. Mirror Shot
430. Flash Cannon
431. Rock Climb
432. Quiver Dance
433. Leaf Tornado
434. Draco Meteor
435. Discharge
436. Lava Plume
437. Leaf Storm
438. Power Whip
439. Rock Wrecker
440. Cross Poison
441. Gunk Shot
442. Iron Head
443. Magnet Bomb
444. Stone Edge
445. Rage Powder
446. Hex
447. Grass Knot
448. Chatter
*449. Judgment (Arceus exclusive move)
450. Bug Bite
451. Charge Beam
452. Wood Hammer
453. Aqua Jet
*454. Attack Order (Vespiquen exclusive move)
*455. Defend Order (Vespiquen exclusive move)
*456. Heal Order (Vespiquen exclusive move)
*457. Head Smash (Rampardos exclusive move)
458. Double Hit
*459. Roar of Time (Dialga exclusive move)
*460. Spacial Rend (Palkia exclusive move)
*461. Light Void (Cresselia exclusive move)
*462. Hyper Force (Regigigas exclusive move)
463. Magma Cannon (Heatran exclusive move)
*464. Dark Void (Darkrai exclusive move)
*465. Seed Flare (Shaymine exclusive move)
466. Ominous Wind
*467. Final Exile (Giratina exclusive move)

* = this move will not be available in DarkViolet because the Pokemon it can be learned by will not be in DarkViolet. However, the move will be available in planned DarkViolet sidequel & sequels.

bold = new custom move that is not in the Gen IV or V games

Yes, this means that there are a few moves programmed in DarkViolet that you won't even get to see. This is because the first thing I did is make a ROM base that has all these added moves. Future Pokemon Saga games will use the same ROM base, and thus the same moveset. (but if I ever figure out how to extend the Metronome limit to include the new moves, then you could theoretically see a move that is programmed, but no Pokemon will learn within DarkViolet)
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
This is my favorite hack, by the way.

You seem to have but in a lot more effort than any other hacker I've seen, in such short time too, You've restarted a couple times, but the game still looks amazing when you restart.

Honestly can't wait for their to be a new release for this, no matter how short or long it maybe.

^ is that an R/S/E version of the male Ace Trainer, or is it a new NPC?
Either way it looks good.
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
Wow, this looks fun! + I loved how you've added Blue (Girl) to the game! Good luck with the hack!

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:22 AM
metalflygon08
BIG PECKS

Quote:
Dragon Pulse might change, but idk a better idea. Besides, in the Gen III games, lots of Dragon moves had fire effects. Also, Outrage has a new animation, it now has the blue flames background that my new Dragon-type moves have. As for Flash Cannon, the Signal Beam animation is the only move with red circles, so I chose that.
lol[/s]
maybe have it instead of loading the red fire sprites, have it load the blue fires from Will-O-Wisp's end animation?

(and perhaps have Flash cannon load the rings from Dragon Dance instead of the dots?)

Current Fakemon Creation
Old December 22nd, 2012, 08:49 AM
Gravyty 0
Pokemon physicist

You think to do with the 176 spaces of other generations , new 1 genrations pokemon evolution like a full power metwo with a final power up atack
Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:43 AM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalflygon08 View Post
maybe have it instead of loading the red fire sprites, have it load the blue fires from Will-O-Wisp's end animation?

(and perhaps have Flash cannon load the rings from Dragon Dance instead of the dots?)
It's not quite that simple. Usually if you try and change the graphics that it loads with an animation that doesn't use that set of graphics, it will just show up as black blocks flying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravyty 0 View Post
You think to do with the 176 spaces of other generations , new 1 genrations pokemon evolution like a full power metwo with a final power up atack
No, just, no...

Sponsored Links