The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:36 PM
pkmn.master
Hobbyist Game Developer

Nature: Brave

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
It's not a good idea to share versions of Animations.rxdata. You can use it personally to make the animations, but when it comes to sharing them, you should export the one you want individually as an anm file (basically a txt file) from the "Animation Editor" in the External Editor. It's much more flexible, more accurate, contains extra animations settings which may be used, and so on.

Put the exported anm file, audio file(s) and animation sheet into a zip and upload it somewhere (or attach them to a post in this thread). You can bundle a few animations together, although remember that each will have its own anm file. Each Essentials version will gather all of these and include them.
Both methods are efficient, but I personally never became fond of using the external animations editor, since flipping back and forth became a mess for me.

I do hope to see others contribute. Since this is such a large project, everyone should just work at their own pace, especially with the holidays coming up soon. Good luck to everyone.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:12 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Your method is not efficient, because only one person can work on animations at once. With exporting animations, everyone can pick and choose which ones to load into their game, in which order, and allows everyone to work on their own animations at once without fear of disrupting someone else's work.

Plus, animations are converted from the Database into a (somewhat) different format which is used both in the game and the Animation Editor. If you don't want to learn at least how to export an animation from the Animation Editor (which is easy, by the way), then, well...

Yes, the Animation Editor is a little clunky, but it can do practically everything that the Database Editor can do, plus more things on top of that. It also shows you exactly what you'll get from an animation. The Database Editor is simply obsolete. As I said, you can use the Database Editor to "sketch" your animations if you want, but when it comes to sharing them you really should export them individually from the Animation Editor.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:44 PM
pkmn.master
Hobbyist Game Developer

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Your method is not efficient, because only one person can work on animations at once. With exporting animations, everyone can pick and choose which ones to load into their game, in which order, and allows everyone to work on their own animations at once without fear of disrupting someone else's work.

Plus, animations are converted from the Database into a (somewhat) different format which is used both in the game and the Animation Editor. If you don't want to learn at least how to export an animation from the Animation Editor (which is easy, by the way), then, well...

Yes, the Animation Editor is a little clunky, but it can do practically everything that the Database Editor can do, plus more things on top of that. It also shows you exactly what you'll get from an animation. The Database Editor is simply obsolete. As I said, you can use the Database Editor to "sketch" your animations if you want, but when it comes to sharing them you really should export them individually from the Animation Editor.
I never said I didn't know how to use the poorly designed external editor. I just simply said that I refuse to use it to manage my animations, at least until I complete enough to spend my time working with it...

But back to the actual purpose of this thread, we need dedicated rippers for these graphics. The graphics on spriter's resource aren't enough. MikauSchekzen, did you manage to get medifire to work for you?
Old November 28th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Maruno

Right, I've made a proper page on the wiki for this project (which I've taken the liberty of calling the "All Animations Project"), I've made a news post on the wiki's main page about it, and I've added a link in my signature.

Go.
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:10 PM
MikeTwo2
Unhatched Egg

Wow! This sounds awesome! If you guys can actually pull this off, it'll make Pokémon Essentials much more professional. I don't know how I can help, because I'm not too good at ripping sounds or at anything to do with graphics, but I'll support where I can (possibly recruiting more members?)
In short: can't wait, good luck and is this still alive?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:49 PM
oldsnake90
Creator Pokemon Glacial Freeze

Send a message via Skype™ to oldsnake90
how do you import animations to your games data base from your wiki? It tells me to put animations in a folder in the animations folder. and its saying i dont have one there.

Pokemon Glacial Freeze Project on Facebook
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:36 AM
Maruno

Put the audio file(s) into the Audio/SE folder. Put the graphic file into the Graphics/Animations folder. Put the .anm file into the game's main folder. None of them require special sub-folders to be created.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:21 AM
oldsnake90
Creator Pokemon Glacial Freeze

Send a message via Skype™ to oldsnake90
i just did that. and i imported them but they dont save. as soon as i close out of the editor it goes back to what it was before i imported it.

Pokemon Glacial Freeze Project on Facebook
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:43 AM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsnake90 View Post
i just did that. and i imported them but they dont save. as soon as i close out of the editor it goes back to what it was before i imported it.
Yep, that's a bug I discovered yesterday. Wait for v11 to come out.
Old January 15th, 2013, 05:26 AM
TACHAN

Quote:
Put the audio file(s) into the Audio/SE folder. Put the graphic file into the Graphics/Animations folder. Put the .anm file into the game's main folder. None of them require special sub-folders to be created.
It does not work in Essential V11.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

The animation does not appear in the battle.

Last edited by TACHAN; January 15th, 2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old January 15th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Maruno

I don't know why you're looking at the Database - it's obsolete and unused, and just happens to contain some old information. The Essentials Animation Editor (your first screenshot) is the only important thing.

Assuming you've saved the animations, the weather animations should show in battle. Note that there is (currently) no animation for using a weather-inducing move, and the animation you're playing with is the one that shows at the end of each round while the weather persists.
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:57 AM
TACHAN

Quote:
I don't know why you're looking at the Database - it's obsolete and unused, and just happens to contain some old information. The Essentials Animation Editor (your first screenshot) is the only important thing.
OK.

Quote:
Assuming you've saved the animations, the weather animations should show in battle. Note that there is (currently) no animation for using a weather-inducing move, and the animation you're playing with is the one that shows at the end of each round while the weather persists.
Blast Burn's animation works.

But there does not work the animation of Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Sandstorm, Hail. (I refer to the animations of these attack at the end of every round.)
These four attacks are saved in the AnimationEditor, so they should work.
Old January 15th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Maruno

Yes, they should work. If you're trying out some of the many animations Brother1440 has been making (available on the wiki), then I've not tried them out yet so I can't comment.

Have a look at the animation's position - it should be "Screen". That's all I can think of.
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:03 AM
TACHAN

Quote:
Yes, they should work. If you're trying out some of the many animations Brother1440 has been making (available on the wiki), then I've not tried them out yet so I can't comment.

Have a look at the animation's position - it should be "Screen". That's all I can think of.
They had marked the option "Both Battlers", so I it have changed to "Screen", and I saved.
I test it in the essential game and they continue without the animations work.

Then I opened the Animation Editor again, but now there is always an error if I use the Animation Play Rain Dance, Hail, Sandstorm, and Sunny Day. (it's okay if I use another attack)

Quote:
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
---------------------------
Exception: ArgumentError
PBAnimation:466:in `initialize'
PBAnimation:466:in `new'
PBAnimation:466:in `initialize'
PokemonAnimEditor:1150:in `new'
PokemonAnimEditor:1150:in `play'
PokemonAnimEditor:3062:in `animationEditorMain'
PokemonAnimEditor:2927:in `loop'
PokemonAnimEditor:3092:in `animationEditorMain'
PokemonAnimEditor:3111:in `pbAnimationEditor'
EditorMain #####:110:in `pbEditorMenu'
PS: I'm sorry if my English is not well understood.
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Maruno

That's a known bug. In PBAnimations line 696, make sure it reads:

Code:
def initialize(animation,user,target,viewport=nil)
I think that solves it.
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:20 AM
TACHAN

Quote:
That's a known bug. In PBAnimations line 696, make sure it reads:

Code:
def initialize(animation,user,target,viewport=nil)
I think that solves it.
Yes, that strange error is gone. :D
Although, the end of turn animations of these four attacks are still not working. :\
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:07 AM
MikauSchekzen
Unhatched Egg

Urp! I'm really sorry for my incredible slacking!

For whatever reason, I find it really difficult to get started on this.

I wish I could help, but I'd like to sign myself off because of the same reason I'm afraid of offering any help to people at all: I can't dedicate myself to anything.

Though most of you have probably forgotten me by now, it doesn't sit right with me to not mention anything after my last comment, semi-promising to help out.

-Mikau
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:07 AM
zingzags
Creator or Pokemon Serenity

Nature: Adamant
Brother1440 sure is dedicated, I'd say to add more options in the Animation Editor. For example, moving the pokemon (before, in-between, and after), the skill is used, making pokemon disappear then reappear. You know, for some of the move, and @Brother1440 thanks for your commitment.
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Dylanrockin
Mysterious Trainer

Nature: Timid
Quote:
When you said "put the .anm file into the games main folder," what did you mean? Do you mean the first folder with animaker and the editor? Or somewhere else?

Last edited by Dylanrockin; January 17th, 2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:58 AM
Maruno

The main folder is the one which has Game.exe and Game.rxproj in it (you run the latter to open your game in RMXP). It also has the folders "Audio", "Graphics" and "PBS" in it, as well as Editor programs, ExtendText and a shortcut to the wiki (plus other things).
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Dylanrockin
Mysterious Trainer

Quote:
The main folder is the one which has Game.exe and Game.rxproj in it (you run the latter to open your game in RMXP). It also has the folders "Audio", "Graphics" and "PBS" in it, as well as Editor programs, ExtendText and a shortcut to the wiki (plus other things).
When I go into the editor and go to "animations" and press "load all animations" it tells me that there are none in the animation folder even though I have the .anm files in there, unless I'm missing something.
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Maruno

Oh, I forgot about that feature (I'd seen it in passing ages ago but it never really registered in my mind).

Unless you're loading lots of animations at once, it's probably best to ignore it, and to import each animation manually from within the Essentials Animation Editor. I don't think it moves any files around so you'd need to do that anyway, and it may not even work properly anyway due to me changing things.
Old January 18th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Dylanrockin
Mysterious Trainer

Quote:
Oh, I forgot about that feature (I'd seen it in passing ages ago but it never really registered in my mind).

Unless you're loading lots of animations at once, it's probably best to ignore it, and to import each animation manually from within the Essentials Animation Editor. I don't think it moves any files around so you'd need to do that anyway, and it may not even work properly anyway due to me changing things.
Will that be fixed in the next update?
Old January 18th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Maruno

I don't even know if it's broken; I haven't tested it. It's supposed to work by you putting each new animation in its own folder in the Graphics/Animations folder.
Old January 19th, 2013, 03:31 AM
Dylanrockin
Mysterious Trainer

Quote:
I don't even know if it's broken; I haven't tested it. It's supposed to work by you putting each new animation in its own folder in the Graphics/Animations folder.
I have already tried that and it hasnt really worked out.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here