Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Round Table
Reload this Page 20 children, 6 Adults dead in Connecticut elementary school shooting

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Round Table Have a seat at the Round Table for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old December 23rd, 2012 (01:43 AM).
Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Crystal Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Ivysaur
I think guns shouldn't be outright banned but that anybody who wants to get one should go through the same examinations required to drive a car: being taught how to use them, passing a test to prove you can use them, passing a medical examination to ensure your eyesight and all is okay, and going throught a mental assessment to make sure you aren't crazy. Like driving licences, they should be renewed every other year (5, 10). And, of course, no assault rifles anywhere. A 10-shot gun should be good enough to defend yourself from any boogeyman, let the professional stuff for professionals (police, army, and all those people who use weapons for a living).

And again, it's a matter of education. Here in Europe we aren't told to carry a gun in all cases to defend ourselves. As a result, I have only seen one gun in my entire life (a policeman's), nobody wants to get any (other than professionals), it's absurdly hard to get your hands on one, and the amount of shootings here is anecdotal, with no yearly carnages or anything remotely similar. And we feel safe, not because we have a weapon to defend ourselves, but because we assume that nobody will use one to hurt us in the first place
When you're sleeping through the day
And I'll tell you how you missed it
When you wake

Formerly a super mod
Old December 23rd, 2012 (07:23 AM).
Blue Flash

Poor children in Connecticut D:

My Dream Team.
Old December 23rd, 2012 (10:51 AM).
pin pin

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Mr. X:
Lets point out some irony.

Republicans say more police and easier access to mental health care will help to prevent this from ever happening, again. I guess that explains why this massacre happened, as Republicans have been cutting and trying to cut funding that funds or would have funded more police and mental health care.

Arming teachers is, in theory, a good idea. However, all it will do is change some headlines to "Teacher beats student, caught on tape!" to "Teacher shoots student, caught on tape!" Sure, arm teachers. But lets get rid of the overly agressive teachers, the ones who like to beat on their students, first otherwise this will backfire badly.
Or ”Student steals teacher's gun and massacres class”
Old December 23rd, 2012 (11:17 AM). Edited December 23rd, 2012 by Mr. X.
For Money
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quiet
I find it funny that a lot of people who own guns for their 'defense', also consider themselves religious.

Strange. Aren't religious people supposed to put their faith and trust in God, for all things? If they are religious then shouldn't they place their faith and trust in God for their protection, instead of putting their faith and trust in a man-made object?

Anyway, since I feel like playing both sides of the gun control arguement, here are the top 30 reasons to oppose gun control.

http://guninformation.org/reasons.html

Come play Runescape
Old December 23rd, 2012 (07:18 PM).
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Gold Tier

Nature: Lax
For the record, there are plenty of liberals that oppose stricter gun controls. Like myself, for instance. I would appreciate it if people would stop painting us all with a single brush.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old December 24th, 2012 (05:41 PM).
trying to be cool
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Why the lump do people even sell guns, knives or whatever?

This is heartbreaking. I'm at a loss for words. I don't understand why a person can do this kind of thing -- and I don't think he even is a person. Taking a life of seventeen angels. It's horrifying to think about. My prayers to the families who won't be able to enjoy this Christmas.
“You see, love liberates. It doesn’t bind. Love says I love you, I love you if you’re in China, I love you if you’re across town, I love you if you’re in Harlem. I love you. I would like to be near you, I’d like to have your arms around me, I’d like to hear your voice in my ear. But that’s not possible now. So, I love you. Go.”

Old December 29th, 2012 (11:23 AM).

Nature: Modest
About what's being said on gun control, I just wanted to throw in that they outlawed cocaine and other harmful substances here in the States. How's that working out?

I blame stupidity for what happened - the mother knew her son was mentally unstable and did not properly secure her guns. I do believe in restrictions though when it comes to the number of guns you can own, there is no reason to have as many as she did. Not sure if that's been mentioned yet.

NAME: JORDAN | FC: 5029-3281-8744
Old December 30th, 2012 (07:22 AM).
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Gold Tier

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by Laugh:
Why the lump do people even sell guns, knives or whatever?
Guns: protection, sport (hunting), hobbyists (collectors mostly)
Knives: protection, cutting things (food, rope, packaging, anything else that might potentially need cutting)
Whatever: I didn't know there was a large market for "whatever"

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)