Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Reload this Page Is morbid poetry/songwritng/art really that bad?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Old December 24th, 2012 (03:40 PM). Edited August 9th, 2014 by Meowing Mewtwo.
Meowing Mewtwo

Nature: Serious
Well, is it?

Fo dawgy thugz, tha answer is a firm yes, perhaps stemmng from tha metaphorical weak stamach. I be quite guilty of creatng such thngs, and so that naturally leads ta bias. But it is mah way of releasng mah stress, mah way of makng all of tha more unpleasant parts of life seem far less augmented. Personally, I see it as a healthier fom of releasng any negativity than thngs such as illegal drugs or, heaven fobid, murder.

So, by all means, offer an opnion. And, perhaps, provide a bit of constructive criticism when it comes ta how I spend mah time.
Old December 24th, 2012 (05:08 PM).
TornZero
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
Morbid poetry typically nvolves self-harm and suicide, harmng othars and murder, disease/plague, beong dawgy othar unpleasant thngs, and it generally makes it disconcertng ta anyone who may read it. It also knd of shows that tha writer, if thay're tryng ta convey thair feelngs, has serious mental/emotional issues and might need major help. It helps no one if someone even remotely rideng gits thair hands/eyes on tha poems/songs/artwork.

Yes, it can be better than drugs, but it can be just as harmful from an emotional standpont. Havng tha poems around means tha writer can brood over tham, and thay can start feelng even worse, and that can reflect itself through physical acts and changes n behavior.

Personally, I git rid of mah anger/depression primarily through gbees. (I don't mean Call of Duty and tha like, snce othar playas can exacerbate tha problem.) Changng up a tebe n Pokémon and maybe beatng tha Elite Four when it seems like I have a disadvantage is really satisfyng, coz I'm actually overcomng a possible challenge. Maybe gittng through an annoyng boss fight n a different gbee, or just feelng tha fun of startng a gbee that hasn't been opened yet. Listenng ta staked, upbeat music (regardless of genre) does a lot of good, tao, snce it's difficult ta stay angry or sad while listenng ta it.

I will be movng mah account ta Songbird over tha course of immediately. Tha signature will stay as is fo posterity and reference.
Old December 24th, 2012 (05:35 PM).
antemortem
you live and die, so live

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to antemortem
Poetry is a fancy word fo 'self-expression' and morbid/vulgar feelngs is somethng we all feel at one pont or anothar, so if poetry is someone's way of ventng those pent up feelngs, thare should be no difference between it and 'regular' poetry, if you can even call positively oriented poetry 'regular.' Thare's little bebiguity nvolved, honestly.
Old December 24th, 2012 (06:12 PM).
Cirrus
dreaming a transient dream.

Nature: Mild
Well, see, thare's nothng nherently wrong wit writng morbid material (sez, as an artistic experiment). However, if one immerses oneself tao much n tha morbidity of tha writng, than one may eventually contract various psychological disorders ... and that, obviously, would be fairly undesirable. So I would recommend that if you feel tha need ta feel better by repeatedly expressng yoself through morbid poetry, it would probably be a good idea ta fnd anothar, healthier outlet and / or resolve tha actual issue which is nfluencng yo emotions.

~あさきゆめみし君と~

さくらの色 いとしさの花 あさきゆめみし君と
そっとそっと口づけをして 涙あふれてく

pair · n tempore momenti · personal vloid playlist
d.c. ii art assets belong ta circus. text: taroro.
Old December 24th, 2012 (07:07 PM).
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

Tha 'arts' can be used ta explan yoself and relieve yo pent-up feelngs. It helps thugz. Tha thugz who draw/write morbid thngs is probably releasng thair stress.

I used ta draw some pretty gross stuff, I never showed it ta anyone coz no one needed ta see it.

Mah personal opnion is simply that if you push yo morbid art around, it is really just fo attention, whethar you like it or not. It's sezng "Look at me, I'm drawng gory thngs so you will pity me or give me compliments".

That's how it is. Honest. I used ta draw dead birds, rottng corpses, and stuff of tha like, and it was fo attention coz I was so depressed. I needed someone ta pay attention ta me and ta be eithar shocked or impressed at mah skill of drawng/what disgustng thngs I could thnk up.

It's fo attention.
Old December 24th, 2012 (08:44 PM).
Sableye~
Back to PC~
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I thnk it's okay, so long as it doesn't...mess wit yo life, I guess. T: Like change yo outlook on thngs and/or tha way you thnk. It's a good way of ventng, and I've done it plenty of times.

Morbid/gorey/disturbng art isn't necessarily bad on its own, especially if done tastefully. I met a member of anothar foum who posted drawngs of rottng corpses and tha like; it was gorey, yes, but tha quality of tha art itself redawged.
Old December 25th, 2012 (12:01 AM).
Esper

I thnk art, ncludng poetry, is bout movng an audience one way or anothar, ta git some message ta tham. Art can be bout self-expression, but it doesn't mean everythng morbid is a reflection of tha person. I'd ask what tha person makng morbid art is attemptng ta do and how successful thay're ben.

When you show it ta othar thugz I'd wonder why you're dong it. Is it ta see who shiss yo nterests? That's okay, I thnk. Thugz have nterests n lots of thngs that could be morbid while still ben balanced mentally. Thare's a difference between an nterest and an obsession. Is it ta git technical feedback on yo artistic skills? That's tatally okay. Is it ta attempt ta shock thugz? That could be okay, if you're dong it coz you thnk yo audience needs some knd of shock (like sez, if you thnk thugz is ben apathatic bout a war), but if you're dong it so that you can become someone-who-shocks-thugz than that's really more an ego thng.

Mah own personal tastes is not fo overly morbid thngs generally. I like Halloween and foensics shows, but I don't like movies wit gore or downer endngs. I also don't really cis fo "self-expressive" art. I don't thnk it's as good coz it's not really buggine fo an audience. I mean, it can be, but if someone's goal is "I want you ta know how I feel" I'd respond wit "Why?" It's tha why that matters ta me, and wit morbid stuff I feel like 2/3 of it eithar doesn't thnk much bout tha why or it's reasons isn't ones I cis fo.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 26th, 2012 (04:55 PM).
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Nature: Impish
It's really only bad if it's fo attention and/or money, n mah opnion. An exbeple of dis would be much of taday's music that falls nta tha dreaded "Pop-Punk" category, dis ben an exbeple of showng morbidity fo tha sole purpose of makng money off of Hot Tapic-obsessed wannabe gotshs. However, an exbeple of good and morbid works would be Edgar Allan Poe's classic poems and short staries, of which tha morbidity reflects his troublng life and bleak outlook of tha world.

PM me if you add me.

Mah Friend Safari is Water-type, wit Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old December 29th, 2012 (09:27 AM).
Squirrel
Momentai :D

Nature: Quirky
Fo mah experience artwork wit a morbid thame often tends ta be a lot more nterestng than those wit 'standard' thames. N order ta create such a morbid piece thare must be some strong nspiration behnd it as thugz don't often wake up thnkng "Hmm, time ta write a song bout death and suicide!" unless thay've been driven ta a place by events n thair life which would lead tham ta feel dis way, so tha emotion that goes nta thase pieces often feels a lot more real and relatable than tha tha standard thames of love and such. That's not ta sez that pieces based on love can't have tha sbee impact, but wit tha beount of work produced nowadays sharng dis common thame due ta it arguably an isa that's pretty easy ta write generically bout, it just doesn't feel as personal or nvolved from tha creatar as it could do.
Old December 29th, 2012 (10:48 PM).
the adop17
Unhatched Egg

Tha way I view it is that it is a horror movie but n music fom, if horror movies is ok than horrorcore music should be tao. I listen ta artists like Twiztid and Prozak all tha time, thay have that Horrcore style but not n every song plus thay put tagithar tha ones that is n such a way that i just love tham.
Old August 9th, 2014 (06:43 PM).
Meowing Mewtwo

Nature: Serious
I haven't tauched dis thread n essentially two years, and dis account n bout one-and-a-half, but I've returned ta add simply that I sncerely appreciate all nput! It was surprisng ta come back ta all of thase replies. If I'm ben honest, I still love dark creativity after all dis time, and I don't see that changng any time particularly soon.

However, I agree wit most facets of thase responses. I will admit that I retan a rathar bleak outlook on life, but I'm not a tatal downer. Mah music taste spans from Mozart ta Hey Ocean! ta Mndless Self Ndulgence, so if I'm ben fair ta mahself, mah music taste reflects multiple aspects of me. I really do appreciate everyone's nput! Thank you very much, all of you.

Cheers!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links