The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Trade Corner

Notices

Trade Corner Having trouble completing your Pokédex? Looking for a certain Pokémon or have a rare one to offer? This is your forum. Everything related to wireless trades can be discussed here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 18th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Blaze the Cat
Life hurts, and so do I

Nature: Timid
What is your opinion when you receive a nicknamed and trained Pokemon through trade? How do you feel? Example is a Charizard level 83, nicknamed Inferno, received Pallet Town level 5.
Old December 25th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Pingouin7
¬‿¬
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
My opinion is that I don't like nicknames.
Old December 25th, 2012, 12:43 PM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
If they're nice, I don't mind. If I'm planning on just having them for Pokedex completion, I don't mind neither since I'm probably not gonna be using the Pokemon.

But when I'm planning on using a Pokemon i got from the trade, I expect it to be the regular name or a nice nickname. I mostly get Japanese named Pokemon and I don't really like it lol. I prefer having names I can actually read myself.
Old December 25th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Patrick
Winter Love
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
In the first color and metal generations, at least you had the added benefit of seeing what color they were in Pokemon Stadium (2). I've only gave nicknames or rather birthnames to Pokemon in Mystery Dungeon, but I usually don't bother just incase it gets traded or something.

As far as receiving, as long as you don't get Pokemon with names like Weiner, Runt, Worthless, Failure, Unloved or Steaming Pile, being stuck with a nicknamed Pokemon isn't the worst thing in the world.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old December 25th, 2012, 04:51 PM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I had Pokemon named like *****deise and Dildo >.>
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
I wouldn't mind a Pokemon with a nickname, hope its something good, or the Pokemon will stay in the PC storage for ever.
Watchog's #1 Fan!! -
PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!

my 3DS XL FC is full - My 3DS Flame Red still needs friends - 3325-3310-5332 -
Normal Safari - Lilipup, Loudred, ??? - send me a quick message if you want to be added
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:37 PM
이큐리
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I love Pokemon with nice nicknames. Ones that you can tell the trainer put some thought into it.
Any Pokemon I get that has weird/lame/dumb nicknames usually get released right after I get it.
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:39 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
I hate Pokemon with nicknames. I very very rarely nickname my pokemon. I...just don't like it. It's hard to explain.
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:41 PM
이큐리
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious. View Post
I hate Pokemon with nicknames. I very very rarely nickname my pokemon. I...just don't like it. It's hard to explain.
I would nickname all my Pokemon if I could. The only reason I don't is because of this. ^
xD
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Gonzo
RNG Sommelier
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by miakalina View Post
I love Pokemon with nice nicknames. Ones that you can tell the trainer put some thought into it.
Any Pokemon I get that has weird/lame/dumb nicknames usually get released right after I get it.
^ that +:
- I nickname my in-game party Pokemon, usually with usernames of my fav PC users 8D
- I nickname my WiFi Pokemon, I love when my opponents can say: "I see what you did there" My favourite NNs are: ScoobyDoom the Houndoom and Shiny4kix the Shiny Garchomp. I always try to nickname my Pokemon according to their typing, moveset, their role in the team or just their appearance. (I'm sad that you can't use Pokemon named with other Pokemon species' name, I really like my Pikachu, the Shiny Azumarill...)
- I nickname Pokemon on request when I'm trading. Usually people are like: "Yeah... a NN would be cool, but I have no idea how to call this Pokemon, pick something nice, mkay?" So it's my job to find a cool nickname for them

クリムガン
It races through narrow caves, using its sharp claws to catch prey. The skin on its face is harder than a rock.

PokéCommunity Supporter Collab

Pair | Family
Old December 29th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Blaze the Cat
Life hurts, and so do I

I nickname all my Pokemon similar to Gonz0, but when I get a traded Pokemon that has been nicknamed, it makes me kind of sad. I never trade away my Pokemon, it's just something I don't do(unless I'm sending it to another game to fill the Pokedex). That reminds me, I need to find my Platinum and trade back my Snorlax.
Old December 29th, 2012, 04:55 PM
twistedpuppy
Siriusly Twisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonz0 View Post
- I nickname my WiFi Pokemon, I love when my opponents can say: "I see what you did there"
I do that as well with all of my mons. I usually name them characters from books, shows, movies, or myths. A few of my favorite ones are: Lumiere the Chandelure, Cheshire the Gengar, Luffy the Ambipom, and Poseidon/Leviathan the Kyogre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonz0 View Post
My favourite NNs are: ScoobyDoom the Houndoom
Omg! That is so cute! <3
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Hooh54
Perhaps it is over.

I nickname all of them. Sort of makes them more personal and adds sentimental value.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:31 PM
PikachuAddict
Mime Jr.

Nature: Naughty
I don't usually nn my Pokémon, but usually when I do the nn comes from a book I'm or an old college history text book. Only one time did I give a really horrible nickname, and it was a really ugly Pokémon that I nicknamed Fugly. I forget what it was, but I only caught it for the purpose of trading online.
Old January 1st, 2013, 07:54 AM
FastEddeh
Unhatched Egg

I usually spend a good five or six minutes at a time thinking up nicknames for my pokemon, and usually I will never trade a pokemon that I've nicknamed unless I get a really good trade or I know the person who I am trading to.

If I do trade them I usually let the person know and ask them if they want me to rename them or change the name back to a more correct name.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:36 PM
Drago Dragonite
General of the Dragons' Army

Well...I love nicknaming pokemon.I nickname every single one of my pokemon,and because of that,I made a ‘name list’ I update every year.Sometimes I give them names like ‘John’,‘Jack’,‘Filipe’,but when I feel creative,I give good names, like nicknaming ‘Tesla’ an electric type,or nicknaming ‘Newton’ an Emolga.I just like my friends laughing and pointing out certain names,like ‘The Bold’(my boldore),Croco Rex (my totodile),Shaun (mareep),or Rainbow (Marill),or even Bouncy (azurill).I once nicknamed my eevee Charle Magne,because I was offering it to my French friend.He loved it .
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:08 PM
Kyris
Unhatched Egg

I only nickname pokemon I'll actually be using, and then only if I can think of a name I really like. My hydregion, for instance, is named "Omega", my ferrothorn is named 'Roswell", and my Chandelure is named "CandleJack". I have an Alomomola, salamence, and staryu I haven't came up with names for.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:05 AM
Drago Dragonite
General of the Dragons' Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyris View Post
I only nickname pokemon I'll actually be using, and then only if I can think of a name I really like. My hydregion, for instance, is named "Omega", my ferrothorn is named 'Roswell", and my Chandelure is named "CandleJack". I have an Alomomola, salamence, and staryu I haven't came up with names for.
A cool name I figured out for Alomomola is "Florence",if she is a female,because of the pokedex entry.Maybe Salamence could be "Spencer",because it is a cool name.Staryu...Maybe Andromeda?(not really a star...But it fits ).My names are pretty lame,but at least I hope they gave you some ideas! :]
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:56 AM
pokemanmdj
Random Passerby

Nature: Relaxed
Personally, I always try to nickname my Pokemon. It's just that sense of that Pokemon is unique- it's not just another Swanna, it's actually a Swanna that's a "Wizard Lv7."
I tend to give them nice nicknames, or somewhat humorous ones.

But I always name my Tentacruels the name they were given in the beta of Red/Green/Blue.
Man O War. That name is just fantastic.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:09 PM
Mama-Mamo
Togepi

I love nicknaming my Pokemon!! :D

I think of them more as actual names than nicknames... For example, in my monotype challenge right now, I have a Primeape named Apple. <3 Nicknames are fun. It's always sad though to see people name their Pokemon vulgar, rude, or unoriginal names.

Oh or HM SLAVE. <- THIS. D:

Yellow|HeartGold|Sapphire|Platinum|White

Working on HeartGold!
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:55 PM
SoulSilver10112
George the Poliwag

I like getting Pokemon with nicknames, as I nickname mine as well. One of my favotite nicknames I got in a trade was a Quilfish named Mrs.Puff.

Challenges:
Heartgold Nuzlocke: Completed!
Pearl Nuzlocke: Completed!
Heartgold Gender Discrimination Challenge: Completed!
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:06 PM
Mama-Mamo
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSilver10112 View Post
I like getting Pokemon with nicknames, as I nickname mine as well. One of my favotite nicknames I got in a trade was a Quilfish named Mrs.Puff.

MRS. PUFF. HAHAHAHA YES. THAT'S FANTASTIC.

Yellow|HeartGold|Sapphire|Platinum|White

Working on HeartGold!
Old January 4th, 2013, 06:11 AM
RingoH

I don't mind nicknames on recieved Pokemon, it makes them feel more personal. What I DO REALLY mind is when they come with nicknames that showed a trainer did not care. Such as "Stupid" or any vulagar looking ones. Although, I've named almost every Magikarp I've caught "Magi-Krap" so I can't say too much I guess(although I don't trade those away).

I REALLY like foreign Pokemon with the original name intact in a different language (Or Nicknamed as I would likely not notice the difference, especially if it's a Japanese one).
Old January 15th, 2013, 06:30 PM
bizebest

Nature: Jolly
I'm particular about Legendaries and Events. Those, I cannot bare to nickname or have a nicknamed one.
But when it comes to breedables, I like giving my competitive pokes some individuality. All my team players have a nickname : Tumble-Dry the Rotom-W , Narcissus the Shiny Milotic, Crimson the Scizor, Jewel the Starmie, Full-Metal the Metagross...
I try to give them cool names.

Heart Gold FC: 1850 8090 9305 Trainer: Manji
White FC: 1249 7820 8373
3DS FC: 3539 9060 2109

Kanto - Johto - Hoenn - Sinnoh - Unova
Old January 16th, 2013, 01:19 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
As long as the nicknames aren't really bad or rude, I don't mind.
As for what I do, I always nickname ALL my Pokemon. It helps separate Pokemon of the same species, and makes it easier to organise my boxes.

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Pokémon Platinum and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links