The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 3rd, 2012 (02:11 PM).
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

Nature: Relaxed
Truefax time: About two weeks ago, I sat next to someone on the train who was playing Pokemon Blue on his GBA SP. So retro, I know! While I was looking over his shoulder and at his game, I noticed that he had a Mew in his team. All of this got me thinking about the lil' critter's place in the first series of games. Most of us remember the Mew glitch, but how many people actually used it? Or did you just use an Action Replay to program yourself one? Or did you manage to get yourself to a Nintendo Event? (I remember one tie-in with the first movie; I think it involved a training card as well...) Or did you not even care about Mew? Overrated lil' thing... Which is it to be? :D
Old December 3rd, 2012 (03:18 PM).
SkyeAce
Unhatched Egg

I never knew the mew glitch as a kid unfortunately, I knew a friend who had one via trading, so he cloned it on his silver and then traded it along to me. Unfortunately that game file I had is corrupted, it used to have a whole team of mews! To be honest, the main reason I restarted my pokemon blue the other day was to do the glitch my self. I fudged it a few times but when I finally got it, I was elated.
Old December 3rd, 2012 (04:13 PM).
Yoshikkko

Nature: Adamant
I always heard it was under the truck that you could push away with strength when you'd beaten the Indigo League but I never managed to do that obviously. But my friend and I did find out about the Mew glitch in Blue about a year ago and we actually got it! Not much we could do with it though haha.

team super cotton ×
Old December 3rd, 2012 (05:00 PM).
Mononoke Hime
viva emptiness

Nature: Sassy
This is the very first time that I heard this Mew glitch stuff.
Now I'm happy that I can finally have one of my favorite pokemon without any action replay.

As for answering the question, I never had a legit Mew in any of my teams, but I once used an AR to catch a Mew.
I didn't felt anything by doing this method, so I ended up releasing the Mew.
Old December 4th, 2012 (03:44 PM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
As a kid, I never knew how to do the Mew glitch, but I obtained one via trade from a friend, whose cousin did. It wasn't until a few years ago that I did learn it. Now I make a note to catch a Mew every time. At least in challenges, it makes a good HM slave.
Old December 5th, 2012 (09:44 AM).
Pizzey
Shutter-Shaded Minccino

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Skype™ to Pizzey
I always do the Mew glitch when I play though a first gen game c:
I also didn't know about it as a youngin, however my one friend had one, but never told me how he got it. I didn't learn about it until much later when I was researching glitches.
Old December 5th, 2012 (05:49 PM).
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

By the time I learned I had either lost, sold, or broke all of my first generation games, leaving me to question the validity of the glitch forever so no I never got a legit Mew. Heck I've never even had a hacked Mew.

Old December 5th, 2012 (06:14 PM).
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I did get it through the glitch, but I haven't gotten any event versions of Mew, except on the newer generations.

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Old December 5th, 2012 (08:55 PM).
Sydian
revolution

Nature: Timid
I did it in my Red for fun once. It was nice to have that cool cat with me for the ride.

Play the game to change the game
Old December 7th, 2012 (06:47 PM).
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Once I found out about the Mew Glitch during the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald generation, I decided to experiment with this glitch by downloading a ROM of both Red and Blue and performed it. I've always wondered as a child how to get Mew because I saw it in the first movie, but it didnt phase me enough to get it though.

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old December 8th, 2012 (06:03 AM).
Seraphimon-sama

To be honest, I always used the glitch. Then I went through the rest of the game using only Mew.
I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.

Sprite made by DD's Sprite Shop~!

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Old December 9th, 2012 (01:06 AM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I never knew about the glitch. I had a gameshark, I just used that. I didn't really like Mew (not as a kid, not now), so I never really used it that much.

That said, I did discover Missingno without even knowing about it (I even remember exactly where I was when I did it). I wasn't able to reproduce it though because I didn't know how I did it, so nobody believed me until years later. I think that's worth a few points.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old December 16th, 2012 (10:07 AM).
Mochi

I use the Mew glitch in almost every save file on Red and Blue just for the Dex data, I've never used it though.

I can't imagine how many Mew I would have if GSC could link with RSE ><

Old December 16th, 2012 (09:12 PM).
Patrick
Ya'll Are Weird
Community Supporter

I got Mew legitimately for Yellow... somehow. Toys 'R Us or, geez, something. Maybe it was at some event at a mall. Well, whatever it was legit.

When I learned about the Mew glitch, I used it during a quick run through Blue, and got two of 'em. Those old games were the home of some really nifty exploits, I must say.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old December 16th, 2012 (09:21 PM).
Sarah Morgan
Mime Jr.

I've never caught a legit Mew, as a matter of fact, with the exception of the in-game legendaries; I really don't go out of my way to catch them. I Always thought Mew was overrated.
Old December 17th, 2012 (11:09 PM).
Azire
Mr. Premier Ball

Nature: Naughty
I didn't know about the glitch when I was a kid but I bought one for $5 from a friend that got it from an event. Both of us knew the Missingno/Duplication glitch but that was the extent of our glitch knowledge. I actually have a legit Mew from an event on my Platinum, moving it to Black 2 soon. I never reset my Red because it has a complete Pokedex. I also have no way to complete that Dex again so I won't be resetting it.

I really like Mew and think it's very underrated. It can learn ANY move and can Transform like Ditto. You send out Mew when battling a buddy and they never know what it can do. On a side note regarding why I like it outside of gameplay, Ditto comes from Mew and Ditto is my favorite Pokemon.
Please Leave A Review If We Trade
Trader Review Thread
Pairs: Champion Lunis
Old December 20th, 2012 (06:17 AM).
CliCliW
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful
I only found out about it a few months back and only used it in pokemon yellow for the 'dex data.. I never really understood the merits of having a Mew on my team until I got one on my HG version. (Yes, I had it hacked to cause random encounters. No, I don't even participate online so it's ok in my eyes!).. Now I think Mew is my most overused Pokemon cause I taught it Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Ice Beam and Psychic.. It is pretty underrated tho :D

Deceased:

Old December 20th, 2012 (06:09 PM).
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
I only heard of this 'Mew glitch' thing after I joined the forums. And after knowing it, I tried on a Emulator, cos I was curious and didn't want to try it on my Red game as I was scared that it will screw up my game. And also... there should be a glitch sub forum!

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old December 27th, 2012 (03:43 PM).
Rou.Tsuki
It's happy hour somewhere...

Nature: Quirky
Wow... I remember Mew. Got him legit through a mall event. Don't remember which game he's on though. Should go find these games again and see if the nickle size batteries in them still alive.
My
Vivillon Pattern: High Plains
Friend Safari: POISON - Whirlipede, Kakuna
, and Garbodor
Old December 27th, 2012 (05:39 PM).
PikachuAddict
Mime Jr.

Nature: Naughty
About 5 years ago, I learned about the Mew glitch and I performed it in Yellow, unfortunately, I lost my Yellow cartridge not too long after I got Mew. I'd love to get another one, but right now I no way of getting on the GTS and I refuse to hack my game using a Gameshark.
Old December 28th, 2012 (10:24 AM).
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
I learned about the Mew glitch when I was absolutely addicted to Gold/Silver. I was at a summer camp thing and the only other kid who liked Pokemon mentioned it, that he had it written down. Unfortunately he didn't realise that I actually HAD Yellow until the last day so I couldn't get the glitch info from him.

Since that was years ago, now that I can use YouTube to find out how to do it it's no problem. I stupidly erased my file so that I could get a Mew, and typically I got bored around Mount Moon. Which is a shame. If I get around to playing Yellow again someday, I'll likely try to make the glitch work, anyway.

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old December 28th, 2012 (06:30 PM).
Utzipher

Nature: Modest
I became familiar with the Mew glitch when I was browsing through youtube videos back in 09', and someone has made a tutorial on it. Ten years too late, I would've been the coolest kid in school if I had known about that glitch then.

NAME: JORDAN | FC: 5029-3281-8744
Old January 14th, 2013 (12:18 PM).
prinlgesman
Unhatched Egg

I bought a gameshark when I was a kid just to get a Mew. I remember selling off extras to people for $1.25.
Old January 14th, 2013 (12:48 PM).
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

I never did it in Red or Blue, but I always did the one in Cerulean City in Yellow. That Mew would stay for the duration of the game because I was stubborn and didn't want to replace it with something useful.
Old January 17th, 2013 (11:18 PM).
Al3X
Pokemon Fan

Nature: Relaxed
I did the glitch on my pokemon red game and I gotta say that Mew is the best HM slave ever!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links