The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:51 PM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
Second Map of the Quarter - 2012

Introduction:

So, here we are again with Map of the Quarter! I'm a few days late in posting this, so apologies to everyone! Here is the second instalment of the competition if you will, and as we all know it's pretty simple at this stage- try to make a great map fitting a certain theme! Just scroll down to see what this quarter's theme is!

The submission window will remain open for 21 days (so until December 27th!), at which point this thread will be closed and three maps will be chosen by DrFuji and myself. These maps will be posted in a judging thread where there will be a poll to vote for your favourite map.

The winner will receive an emblem. To be 100% honest, though, they haven't been made yet, so sit tight, and we'll get to you! ;)

This Quarter's Theme:

Create a map of a cave.

Rules:
  • You may only submit one map per competition.
  • When submitting a map, please do so in spoiler tags, or in the form of a link. This is to prevent the possibility of unintended screen stretching due to particularly large maps.
  • Give credits to the makers of any tiles or tools used.
  • No complaining if your map wasn't chosen as one of the final few.
  • This thread is for map submissions and contest related questions only - Any posts not containing either will be deleted.

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Mr. Magius
  
Community Supporter Tier 5

Will the quality of tiles used affect the judgment (or at least make a notable difference)? i.e., using 3rd generation tiles over 4th generation tiles?
Just curious.
Old December 11th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Tcoppy
Toq 6
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Does it matter how to save the file (i.e should I save it as a .map)?
Also do you just want the map or do you want us to do the movement permissions too?
Old December 13th, 2012, 01:16 AM
DrFuji
repeat repeat repeat
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magius View Post
Will the quality of tiles used affect the judgment (or at least make a notable difference)? i.e., using 3rd generation tiles over 4th generation tiles?
Just curious.
Nope, this is a pure mapping competition. New tiles may definitely look nice or help to create an interesting map feature, but it is ultimately about the map rather than its aesthetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoppy View Post
Does it matter how to save the file (i.e should I save it as a .map)?
Also do you just want the map or do you want us to do the movement permissions too?
You don't have to send any .map files or anything like that, just a simple picture of your map is all that is needed.
Old December 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Welp... might as well give it a shot with one of my old maps...
Credits: Kyledove, myself, Zein/Lighterzein, lu-ho, and jiggly
Comments: I think it turned out okay given that I only had 15 colors to work with...
Map:
Spoiler:

Last edited by sab; December 16th, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:42 AM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

I still haven't gotten my emblem from the first MotQ, where the hell is it?

And I'm not asking politely because I tried that like 5 times and it got me NOTHINGGGgggggz. And and, oh no, I'm bad at caves D; hope to get more entrants this time!
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:25 PM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
I still haven't gotten my emblem from the first MotQ, where the hell is it?

And I'm not asking politely because I tried that like 5 times and it got me NOTHINGGGgggggz. And and, oh no, I'm bad at caves D; hope to get more entrants this time!
I'm pretty sure I told you, and even addressed it in the first post as a reminder:
Quote:
The winner will receive an emblem. To be 100% honest, though, they haven't been made yet, so sit tight, and we'll get to you! ;)
We're not bothering with placeholder emblems because that's just pointless. Once they're made, you'll get yours.

I hope we get a few more this time, too- great start though, sab, that's looking great! :O

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old December 21st, 2012, 02:44 PM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Stupid question, if no one else enters, does that mean I win by default, or will the contest not be held?
Old December 21st, 2012, 08:44 PM
amcolash
Unhatched Egg

Awesome map, I am nowhere close to being this good... Someday, but until then I shall be stuck with much more boring maps. Congrats early

Old December 21st, 2012, 10:23 PM
Brane
-

Here is my semi decent effort. Looking to get back into hacking so competitions like this are probably worth it
Couldn't really be bothered inserting tiles or altering graphics, but seeing as they don't really matter I just went with the standard tiles in the set. Probably hindered some of what I could do but meh. Player enters through the cave at the top.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Brane; December 23rd, 2012 at 01:59 AM. Reason: updating map
Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:43 PM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab View Post
Stupid question, if no one else enters, does that mean I win by default, or will the contest not be held?
If I'm honest, that horrific impossibility has never been discussed. I guess you would win by default, since you at least made the effort- although I think we'd all agree that wouldn't be the greatest way to win, would it? :P

Anyway, thankfully brane here has also entered (with a great map, if I do say so) and I hope at least a few more people are working away on their maps as I type. :3

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

Old December 22nd, 2012, 11:48 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
I'd actually like to enter Cave of Illusions from Dark Energy to this but as the general idea is to make a good-looking map, it doesn't stand against (literally) anything on that aspect.

Ah, whatever! I'll just show you what that cave is like:

There are "three types" of maps in this cave; ones that look like #1, ones that look like #2 and one #3. Just ignore how the graphics aren't displayed right in #3.

But the idea goes like this; every map of type #1 is connected to four sides like shown in the screenshot and #2 and #3 only upwards.

There are two entrances in the cave and you'll have to "figure out" (not really) the way to get to the other entrance. As an example, with some map of type #1 there, if you walk upwards from the uppest part of the map (through map connection), you actually end up in the lowest part of it in the same map and that loop takes place over and over again until you choose to go either down, left or right ending up somewhere else.

In my personal opinion, the funny thing here is that thinking logically makes no sense here. If you start in room of type #1, take a turn right, then up, then left, and then down (by always being in room of type #1 there), you will not end up in the same map you started with.

But nah, never mind my "map" here.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations

Last edited by miksy91; December 22nd, 2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:38 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Modest
Spoiler:

This is my map. It's the default tiles for Cerulean Cave. There is no story behind any of it. I guess Team Rocket is just up to their old evil ways.

Last edited by Darthatron; December 28th, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:09 PM
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
i should post. i have 3 days right?
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:42 AM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Correct. This ends on the 27th.

Last edited by sab; December 24th, 2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Crimson Stardust
Anime Addiction

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Stardust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Crimson Stardust
gonna give this a go for the fun of it..suck at cave maps though..:')
Spoiler:

Info: Just a random map i did for this competition. Credits go to the tile maker, I think i use the original fire red tiles if i am not wrong..

Last edited by Crimson Stardust; December 26th, 2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old December 27th, 2012, 04:28 PM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

All right guys, just a quick reminder that this thread will be closed tomorrow, 12 noon GMT. If you hope to have your entry considered, be sure to get it in before then!

When this thread is closed, shortly afterwards the voting thread will be up. The three best maps (chosen by DrFuji and myself) will be posted for the community to vote on, and after a week, the winning map's creator will recieve the MotQ emblem. So good luck to all!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

Old December 28th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Bela
Pokémon Rose Creator
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I might as well enter. Here's a map for an ice cave I recently was working on:

Spoiler:

I believe the tiles I inserted were from some public tiles somewhere. That construction worker is a custom sprite of mine. =]
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:17 AM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Well, that's it folks, 12 noon (+15 minutes)! Thanks to all who submitted maps. Stand by for the Voting thread!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links