Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 28th, 2012 (05:59 AM).
Catalyst.
Nothing of significance

Are you fussy about grammar? Quick to correct people's uncapitalized proper nouns and wrongly-placed you're s?
Old December 28th, 2012 (06:05 AM).
Squidchan
The Lady Cthulhu

Nature: Lonely
I ignore it unless I see it within a story someone has written, either published or unpublished. I believe if you're writing something in order to tell a story, or teach someone, then you should be trying your hardest to use correct spelling and grammar. If you're just chatting though, I don't care. It makes for a boring conversation if you're correcting them all the time.
Old December 28th, 2012 (06:12 AM).
curiousnathan
goodbye to the future

Nature: Mild
I suppose so, yeah. I'm more irritated at grammar mistakes than I am at spelling. Simple things like you're/your, there/they're/their, that people makes mistakes with when using them get on my nerves a bit. (But hey we all make mistakes; I've made a few stupid mistakes at times as well.)
Old December 28th, 2012 (06:28 AM).
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

Nature: Relaxed
Oh sweet Jesus yes. I'll never comment upon it unless it would be rude not to, but grammatical mistakes will often eat me up inside. It's and its; your and you're, there/their/they're, misplaced apostrophes in general (it's '70s NOT 70's!), all of these drive me absolutely categorically insane. I worked as an editor for my uni newspaper and most of my role was explaining to 20-year-olds and older how to write properly. Even in my current job, I'm often aghast at the amount of bad grammar I have to correct when proofreading documents and the like. In those cases, I'll comment upon it (and often very satisfyingly in red pen!), but if there's just random instances of bad grammar online, I'll just hold my tongue and die a little inside. It's healthier, that way!
Old December 28th, 2012 (07:30 AM).
outfox
in

Send a message via Skype™ to outfox
Only if a person asks for my criticism or if I notice something written for the public to read with incorrect spelling/grammar. I never bother to in casual conversation. I do feel that pointing out errors is courteous, but rarely do people do so without being condescending.
Old December 28th, 2012 (08:36 AM).
Sylphiel
get away, run away, fly away

Nature: Quirky
I used to be someone that would try to correct at least certain grammatical errors - you're/your, they're/their, stuff like that. Things like capitalization, not so much since at least whenever I'm just chatting I know I tend to ignore stuff like that.

I've more or less stopped because I figured: I guess I don't really care that much. Yeah, those errors will still drive me crazy when reading them, but unless someone's actually looking for feedback then randomly pointing it out probably won't change much (plus there's the thing of I'd feel like like a slight jerk for doing so). As long as I can get the basic meaning of someone's sentence, and it's not something that requires formal grammar, I'll tend to just tolerate it then.

» Paired with Ausaudriel, yo.
» I also make pictures. Sometimes.
Old December 28th, 2012 (09:40 AM).
Antemortem
dude we're fantastic

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
I don't like to harp on people for it as much anymore, especially on the internet because sometimes people are in a rush and while they might spell things write and be a fine verbalist (sentence/word structure as a whole) they won't always double check for such minor grammatical errors such as a missing or misplaced apostrophe/comma. I do it sometimes, and while I might find it later, I'm just like any other person and shouldn't be griped at.
Old December 28th, 2012 (09:44 AM).
Sheep
sheeple sheeple

Nature: Timid
I wouldn't really correct someone's grammar but yes, I'm really fussy about it. Seeing someone use "your" for "you are" and especially "it's" for possession bothers me a lot. But like some others said, it's really not a big deal since everyone makes mistakes and some people rush when they type, so yeah. That and I'm not the best writer in the world myself haha.

da best | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 LV
Old December 28th, 2012 (09:44 AM).
JayD
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
When I see someone use improper grammar, I just have the urge to correct them, but I don't lol. But they DO have some occasion that I do
Old December 28th, 2012 (09:45 AM).
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

No, I dont correct other people's grammar, that's not my job, its a person's responisbility to use correct grammar and Im not going to point out their mistakes. I dont like it when people do this to me either. I try to use proper grammar and spelling, but I think that's my call to correct my own mistakes.
Old December 28th, 2012 (10:10 AM).
Axeliira
<< p u l s e s >>

Nature: Brave
I'm a bit tolerant on grammar, sometimes I'd correct the person, and sometimes I won't and just be lenient about it. HOWEVER, I am very, very, very sensitive with spelling mistakes. If someone spells a word wrong, I twitch a little and tell the person to spell it correctly.

My pet peeve is the too/to/two...I know a few peeps that use it the wrong way. :(

Old December 28th, 2012 (10:15 AM).
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

I make grammar mistakes sometimes too even though I know the difference, so I understand. I don't bite someone out for using the wrong form of your. I think people who do that take things just a little too seriously. Though, I can't stand reading text messages when someone can't spell, so I guess I draw the line somewhere.
Old December 28th, 2012 (01:27 PM).
Ursula
have we got a deal?
Community Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Ursula Send a message via Skype™ to Ursula
When I was around twelve or so, yeah, I used to be anal about grammar. Nowadays? I don't care as long as I can understand the poster. I think correcting someone's grammar is incredibly impolite and inappropriate. Life is way too short to fret upon such things, no?
Old December 28th, 2012 (03:09 PM).
PokemonMasters
Always Remember Forever&After

Nature: Calm
I only correct people's grammar when I know them very well for the fun of it xD. But when I don't really know them, I just ignore them cause they'll probably think I'm a Grammar Nazi. :3 But in mistakes where people get wrong in that I get wrong in as well, I won't bother to correct them.

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
Old December 28th, 2012 (05:57 PM).
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

It makes me upset to see typos and hear people say things wrong, but I guess I'm sort of a hypocrite because I speak.. Sorta lahk a suthunnr.. I don't say anything to anyone when they do make mistakes though, 'cause it's kind of rude.
Old December 28th, 2012 (07:35 PM).
Hannah
the seasons pokémon
Community Supporter

Darn. I was about to start a topic about grammar when I saw this.

I often correct people with spelling and grammar. I don't like it when people get the their and there mixed up. Same goes with the your and you're. I know sometimes it's rude, but it's for there their own good.
#585 Deerling
Supporter Collab January 2015
who needs pairs when you have
friends as awesome as mine
Old December 28th, 2012 (08:26 PM).
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

Nature: Sassy
I'm fussy about my grammar. I'll be quick to edit a post if I see something that I said or spelled incorrectly, and during conversation I'll also correct something if I slip up. But when it comes to other people, I don't worry about it. As long as it's legible/comprehensible, it doesn't bother me if they use correct grammar or not.

Old December 29th, 2012 (06:09 PM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
I'm a grammar Nazi and I used to correct people all the time, but people started to get annoyed with me and I decided I'd rather have friends who like me than friends who can spell properly

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old December 29th, 2012 (07:12 PM).
NightOfRemorse
my anxieties have anxieties

Nature: Lonely
Grammar mistakes bug me so much, it's hard for me to not point them out. One thing I've noticed is that people used to say "your" instead of "you're", but now people are starting to say "you're" in place of "your". Like "Where is you're cat?" WHAT? I AM CAT?
THAT MAKES ME CRINGE. It's like they don't understand that "your" and "you're" are both correct depending on the context. I literally wanna reach through the computer screen and slap them.
I stay away
Old December 29th, 2012 (08:32 PM).
Frazzevous
Impulsive lil' kitty
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Bashful
Quote originally posted by Curious.:
I suppose so, yeah. I'm more irritated at grammar mistakes than I am at spelling. Simple things like you're/your, there/they're/their, that people makes mistakes with when using them get on my nerves a bit. (But hey we all make mistakes; I've made a few stupid mistakes at times as well.)
Pretty much this. I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi myself that hearing incorrect grammar actually hurts my ears. Like seriously. -.- Not saying that mine is perfect, because it's not, but still... :|
Old December 29th, 2012 (08:56 PM).
Harley Quinn
Community Supporter

considering i make billions of grammar mistakes every day it would be pot calling kettle black if i dared to correct anyone on their grammar lmao
the only times i do so are when i'm trying to tease them or annoy them lol
Old December 29th, 2012 (09:30 PM).
Kyouhei_ii00
I'm male

I kind of correct people in my head going kind of like "Hmm...you got this wrong, that wrong, this one too..". It rather bugs me to see so much grammar mistakes there.
Old December 30th, 2012 (01:51 AM).
Brendino
Strike that. Reverse it.

When it's my own writing, I always need to make sure that I haven't made any mistakes, as it bothers me to no end when I use incorrect grammar or spell something wrong. It doesn't bother me as much if someone else makes grammar/spelling mistakes, though, so I don't go out of my way to point it out, unless someone asks me to.

Moderator of Pokémon General
Old December 30th, 2012 (05:24 AM). Edited December 30th, 2012 by Kura.
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
I am picky, yes. I think it's a shame if you only know one language and yet you don't know how to use it properly. I have some friends who have English as a second language, and I asked them if they'd mind if I corrected them if I saw something wrong (don't want to be rude) and they actually appreciate it. I think I would appreciate it too, if I were learning a language, because I'd want to become fluent.
Old December 30th, 2012 (06:51 AM).
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

I don't care about other peoples spelling/grammar. People like to fix my bad grammar all the time.

Sponsored Links