The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Advertise here

Old December 19th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura

Advertise here
Not sure if this goes in this section..

But are any of you into the fashion scene or love fashion? What type of fashion are you into? What are your favourite shops? What are your favourite styles? What do you find it hardest to shop for? Do you like looking at fashion rather than going out to try and make outfits for yourself? Or.. how do you typically dress?
Is there any way you'd like to dress if you could? (Example.. a suit every day/ change your entire look/ not care at all what you wear/ etc.)

Let's talk fashion!
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Mochi
Formerly AzaleaLightning

Nature: Sassy
I LOVE FASHION. I'm a huge thrifter though, I don't have the money to go buy high-end stuff nor do I have the finesse to sew my own things 8(

I go to a lot of thrift shops and find stuff in my budget that I like and that fit well, or stuff that I like but I want to experiment sewing or tinkering with, like oversize t-shirts with cool patterns or logos on them c:
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Although my own personal fashion sense is lacking, to say the least, I've always had a slight interest in the fashion world. I'm interested in the big personalities of the fashion world too, like Anna Wintour, Karl Lagerfeld, the late Gia Carangi, etc. Especially Anna Wintour, the notorious b**** of the fashion industry. Big personality, perfect bob, ever present sunglasses. A captivating woman, the unofficial queen of the fashion industry. I'm not a fan of a lot of the fashions presented by the big lines nowadays, I tend to focus on the models themselves - Karlie Kloss, Coco Rocha, Miranda Kerr (Miranda should just stay with modeling Victoria's Secret lingerie instead of trying to make it in the world of high fashion, she hasn't got the face for it), the personalities of the modelling world.

I suppose it makes sense that I work in a clothes store, despite the fact that I don't care about what I wear myself. I just get my clothes from there and if they look good, that's great. I'll stick to critiquing what others wear & what they put out, thanks.
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:40 AM
Esper

I don't really know enough about fashion to really talk about it, especially "high fashion" with famous designers and models and all of that stuff. I do watch Project Runway sometimes though, so there's that.

Really, I just know about one little niche area of fashion which is lolita fashion. I have a couple of jumper skirts and some other accessories I bought at one of the few high end lolita stores (Baby The Stars Shine bright) that exist outside of Japan, and I've got a bunch of Gothic & Lolita bibles that make me squee and sigh at all the pretty things in them, but that's kind of the end of my knowledge.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
Fashion! Squeee!

I absolutely adore fashion, but since my parents are really simple, they think a mediocre shirt and tattered jeans are considered as fashion. When me and my sister finally stood up to them, they allowed us to buy our own clothes, as long as it's not too expensive. Best decision they've ever made, tbh. Now, we always look up to special occasions where we get to dress fancy, and we'll be the main attraction. lol

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old December 24th, 2012, 10:33 PM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to antemortem
I can't really say I'm much into the big fashion names - you know, the names you know are foreign and so high end they practically fall off the other side - but I do like to look good, if I can help it. No matter what, I stay away from wearing old/vintage things, because if I'm going to go out in public, I'd prefer to be current and not look like I stepped out of a grandfather's time capsule.

If I'm ever near one, I like to shop at Banana Republic, but it's only in scarce instances since they are so few and far between. I also enjoy GAP and Kohls, as well as Nike/Foot Locker for any shoes I might be shopping for. It might sound shallow, but I despise thrifting, because I used to live the life of a thrifter and now that I don't have to do it, I don't. I buy what I like, new and fresh, and I'm happy with that. xD

I think if I could dress in something like this

every day for the rest of my life, I probably would.

Last edited by antemortem; December 24th, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minzy View Post
It might sound shallow, but I despise thrifting, because I used to live the life of a thrifter and now that I don't have to do it, I don't. I buy what I like, new and fresh, and I'm happy with that. xD
Never having had to resort to thrift stores I guess I can't relate, but I do like thrift stores inasmuch as you might find something there to compliment what you already have. Like I found a belt I like at a thrift store a while back. It's probably the only thing I've bought from one of those stores in over a year or two, but it fits in with what I've already got.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:28 AM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Never having had to resort to thrift stores I guess I can't relate, but I do like thrift stores inasmuch as you might find something there to compliment what you already have. Like I found a belt I like at a thrift store a while back. It's probably the only thing I've bought from one of those stores in over a year or two, but it fits in with what I've already got.
That would actually be a nice thing to do, if thrift stores ever had anything like that that would compliment men's wear. Unfortunately, they, as a collective unit, never do, from my experience. Pretty unfortunate because little things like that for so cheap would be A+. ):
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Esper

Quote:
That would actually be a nice thing to do, if thrift stores ever had anything like that that would compliment men's wear. Unfortunately, they, as a collective unit, never do, from my experience. Pretty unfortunate because little things like that for so cheap would be A+. ):
I was gonna say a friend of mine has found nice stuff in thrift stores, but then I remembered that he likes to go to vintage thrift stores were stuff is still somewhat expensive.

Yeah, mens wear doesn't have so many options.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 26th, 2012, 11:11 AM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Quote:
I was gonna say a friend of mine has found nice stuff in thrift stores, but then I remembered that he likes to go to vintage thrift stores were stuff is still somewhat expensive.

Yeah, mens wear doesn't have so many options.
Oooh, a vintage thrift store for men's accessories... now that would fetch and I'd make an exception in a heart beat. Of course, in my little town on the rear end of Texas, there's hardly anything but the customary types of stores/shops, so unless I go somewhere closer to Dallas, I'm not going to discover anything unique. I could really use something to refresh my wardrobe, too...
Old December 27th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Esper

Quote:
Oooh, a vintage thrift store for men's accessories... now that would fetch and I'd make an exception in a heart beat. Of course, in my little town on the rear end of Texas, there's hardly anything but the customary types of stores/shops, so unless I go somewhere closer to Dallas, I'm not going to discover anything unique. I could really use something to refresh my wardrobe, too...
San Francisco (where I don't live but visit often) has a lot of vintage shops and specialty stores. Especially hats. There seem to be hats everywhere.

There are thrift stores in my own town, but they're probably a lot like yours and have nothing good in them. I wouldn't know though, since I never bother with them.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:32 AM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Quote:
San Francisco (where I don't live but visit often) has a lot of vintage shops and specialty stores. Especially hats. There seem to be hats everywhere.

There are thrift stores in my own town, but they're probably a lot like yours and have nothing good in them. I wouldn't know though, since I never bother with them.
assuming control of my side from minzy

Seeing as though I'm vacationing to California soon and will be near that area, I kind of want to try them out and see. Speaking of hats, when I was younger, I was absolutely obsessed with fedoras. Fedora this, fedora that. The day I finally tried on a fedora of my own, it looked god awful on my head for some reason and my dreams of being a famous fedora model were shattered. However, I feel that now fedoras might look better on me, so I've been aching to find some new ones. Of course none of the stores around me carry any, at least not nice ones, so perhaps I could pick some up in San...

On the regular topic, what does everyone think of Kimora?
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
On the regular topic, what does everyone think of Kimora?
gross
very gross
gross on all the levels

As a person, I don't like her. Very annoying. As a fashion designer/leader/idk, I tolerate her as she has produced/been responsible for some good pieces of clothing in the past and has given some very valid opinions onFashion Police also. I just don't like her though.
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Oryx
open up your sea chart
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I'm getting more into looking nice. Not fashion shows or high-class designers or anything like that, but buying skirts and dresses and nice tops when I see them and they're reasonably prices. I think my fashion sense is unpopular though because it's really hard to find things I like. :(

'Hoy, small fry!
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:43 PM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
gross
very gross
gross on all the levels

As a person, I don't like her. Very annoying. As a fashion designer/leader/idk, I tolerate her as she has produced/been responsible for some good pieces of clothing in the past and has given some very valid opinions onFashion Police also. I just don't like her though.
I'm not sure I like all of her stuff, but some of it is alright.

This is hot and should be worn by everyone everywhere all the time.
Spoiler:

This is not and should be worn by nobody anywhere ever. Like what was she thinking even? Though, I'm not entirely positive this is one of her works. It could be Kouture.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
I'm getting more into looking nice. Not fashion shows or high-class designers or anything like that, but buying skirts and dresses and nice tops when I see them and they're reasonably prices. I think my fashion sense is unpopular though because it's really hard to find things I like.
And big ol' floppy hates that compliment everything so well. :] Hey, hey, maybe your fashion sense is just so in demand that everybody is always sold out because everyone else flocks to your nearby stores and snatches up everything you like before you do because you like to arrive ~fashionably~ late. So, are you into floral print or more modern, abstract designs?
Old December 27th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Oryx
open up your sea chart
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I guess most of my cute stuff is floral, but I barely wear them in the winter. >_o I think my problem is that I like young things. Like ruffles, pleats, flare, that kind of thing. And it seems like the popular thing right now are tube dresses and tight-fitting stuff and noooo. :(

'Hoy, small fry!
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:53 PM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
I guess most of my cute stuff is floral, but I barely wear them in the winter. >_o I think my problem is that I like young things. Like ruffles, pleats, flare, that kind of thing. And it seems like the popular thing right now are tube dresses and tight-fitting stuff and noooo.
How come? Most of those 'young things' are also short, spring-summer types of clothes? I think I know the feeling. A lot of what I love to wear in the winter I can't wear any other season because it's mostly pants and whatnot. I feel like most pants are more stylish than shorter wear so I don it much more often. Weather doesn't always agree with me, though. D:

But seriously, the best men's apparel is always something with pants. When do you ever see something absolutely eye popping with shorts/short-sleeved shirts? Besides, once you've got the latter, there's hardly any freedom to work with and that's a huge hindrance imo. The same things over and over gets monotonous and is no longer appealing. :x
Old December 29th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
This is hot and should be worn by everyone everywhere all the time.
Spoiler:
I hope you're kidding. Only models could pull off something like that. :(

Personally, I like something that doesn't have bare shoulders. For myself and in general.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 29th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Arlo~
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Arlo~
I have a terrible sense of fashion, and I can't post URLs yet, but my favourite shirt I own is my BOSROOM cat shirt.

It's this one:
meetbo[dot]mireene[dot]kr/market/women/diot/tt/12/ebay/2.jpg

My current White 2 team
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:27 AM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Quote:
I hope you're kidding. Only models could pull off something like that. :(

Personally, I like something that doesn't have bare shoulders. For myself and in general.
Absolutely, haha. It just looks nice in contrast with that other abomination. g___g

So Harlequin referenced a New Zealand male clothing franchise known as Hallenstein's in a VM and looking at their website I'm genuinely wondering if they ship overseas... Such nice stuff. ;__;
Old December 29th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I know practically nothing about fashion, which certainly shows as I wear the same basic outfit pretty much every day. It's not that I don't care how I dress or that I don't want to look as nice as possible, I just don't know how to choose the clothes to dress nicely or really anything about fashion at all. The closest thing I have to any kind of fashion knowledge is that suits are sexy... right? Even if they aren't I'm not going to stop wearing them at every opportunity possible ;p Although fashion is something I'd certainly want to know more about both for my appearance and as a general curiosity, so how did you guys get into it originally?
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Esper

Yeah, suits are good. Personally I think they can be a little too formal, but they're still classic. They've lasted this long.

I got into the idea of fashion while I was at a friend's place. It was her roommates who were watching Project Runway and I sort of got sucked in and made a regular thing of going over to watch it. This was also when I started to make some new friends who were more into looking stylish that people who'd been my friends and when I started to have some money of my own. It was also a time when I was going through some changes in my own life and was looking for some way of better expressing myself. It all kind of fell into place. I think the thing that really pushed me over was when I learned there were stores I could actually go to that sold the lolita styles I liked and my vague interest became a real possibility. (Also because of having money. I can't forget that.)

deviantart blog pair
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
I used to like project runway, but then it got way too "drama-esque" and I don't like it anymore.. (unfortunately.)

For me, I like simple and classic items.

And sorry Antemortem, but I don't like your hot look. I think it shows a bit too much skin that lowers the class value imo..

I like little black dresses like these personally. They're the ones that suit me best. I wish I could wear long flowy things but I am petite and they tend to drown me in fabric.
Spoiler:

I really like some of Alexander McQueen's works.. very interesting shapes.. some look like they come straight out from a fantasy movie :3 Love it!
Old December 30th, 2012, 05:40 PM
shenanigans
Staff Admin

Hi I'm fabulous.

Yeah, I guess you could say I'm sorta into fashion. I'm not gonna pretend that I actively follow it or know what's coming out from which designers, but I tend to be a good judge of what's in and what's not. But that's mostly in the sense that I find it interesting what people are wearing and how they wear it and I'm good at telling people what they look good or don't look good in with that in mind. And, since I don't honestly have the money to keep up with this kinda stuff, I tend to adapt stuff I already own to fit current fashion rather than just buy a whole load of new stuff. So I guess you could say that I come up with ~my own style~ based around what's currently in fashion, generic as it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOzzyCake
how did you guys get into it originally?
With me it honestly just happened by being around people in general. I guess because of that you could say I'm into whatever's fashionable on the smaller scale rather than the larger one. If you're looking for a more 'decisive' idea of it, though, then honestly I'd say that paying attention to your surroundings when you're out shopping or whatever is a pretty good way to go about it. While you're not gonna find the forefront of fashion in your local Sainsburys, next time you go into town or whatever, just notice what's selling in the clothes shops, what's shown on posters, in shop windows on the mannequins, etc. Especially in the higher-end places if you happen to be going through them but honestly anywhere works. I tend to look at mannequins and think "how can I mess with that with what I've got right now?" and I find it works well enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura
omfg that's amazing @__@
I think stuff like that can work realllly well if it doesn't seem to be dressing the wearer up as some sort of doll or maid or whatever. It sounds sorta weird but often in dresses like that, especially the second one which you posted, it looks like some weird cross between a schoolgirl and a maid. I don't know exactly how else to describe it other than it looking like that, haha. Almost too neat and petite and just seems a bit awkward I guess.
[07/08/2014 15:43:15] ‎keiran: my name is YAMI YUGI and i was a card-playing pharoah in my past life *summons blue-eyes white privilege*
Old December 30th, 2012, 06:15 PM
outfox
in

Send a message via Skype™ to outfox
My favorite label is Comme des Garcons, but I can't afford their stuff, so I just let 'em inspire me. I love things that are kitschy and over the top, but I most often dress simply and comfortably- tights with a t-shirt and a cute cardigan is me being lazy. I have a ton of nicer clothes, but I usually end up giving them away or using them for sewing projects. I made a fabric dollhouse for my little cousin out of old dresses for Christmas

Sponsored Links

Advertise here