The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Reuploaded finally, with a new piece.

blah blah blah, just my doodles, some are really old, some are more recent.

A slowpoke, for gits and shiggles.

My roleplay character: Gwen

Alt art style and my take on Clem from the telltale game The Walking Dead.

Trying a new style out, on my RP char.

New char for a new RP: Pokémon: The Zeta Emergence

Kallen, from the anime Code Geass.

Request from Batel, to draw his RP character.

Yet another RP char, for one i'm writing the SU for at the time of drawing it.

And a few sig's I've made in photoshop

I like this one, the subtle animation makes it for me.

Last edited by Somniac; April 20th, 2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:05 PM
abnegation
proudly paired with adventure

Nice work! However, you're gonna need an extra example as per the rules, 4 minimum. If you can get an extra piece up soon that'd be great, thanks!
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Oh of course, silly me, I'll find something I'm sure.
Old December 31st, 2012, 09:02 AM
Patrick
Winter Love
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
My favorite pieces are without a doubt the third and fourth (so far). The expression and body language in the fourth picture make me feel something for either the character, or engages me into the setting. It's as if I want to know more as to get a full understanding of the situation.

As for the 3rd, I think I just like the concept art feeling of it overall.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old December 31st, 2012, 10:06 AM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbp View Post
The expression and body language in the fourth picture make me feel something for either the character, or engages me into the setting. It's as if I want to know more as to get a full understanding of the situation.
Well if you haven't played the telltale Walking-Dead game to the finish: spoilers, but explanation ahead.

Spoiler:

The girl, Clementine, was rescued by Lee, and traveled with him throughout the game, Lee became like a father to her and at the end of the game, Lee gets bitten.
The conclusion is that Clementine has to shoot lee to prevent him from turning, whilst he is handcuffed to a radiator. [It's his hand you can see in the image.]

The image actually breaks cannon quite a bit, as in that Clementine looks around 15-16 where as in the games she is 9. I simply found it amusing to imagine her as an older, more grown up version, hence the smoking.
Old December 31st, 2012, 11:44 AM
Patrick
Winter Love
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nice, and there you have it. I knew there was a mood in that piece, getting the full extent of the story really helps. I won't say much more to prevent spoilers, but I think the age you gave "her" plays into the piece pretty well. You couldn't do what you have with a child. But I'm curious, could you have invoked the same kind of contemplative, I'm beside myself feeling if you played by the age rules? I'm not saying children don't have complex emotions, but I wonder if for this piece, it would be easy to convey the exact same emotion you've already set up.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old December 31st, 2012, 12:44 PM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbp View Post
but I wonder if for this piece, it would be easy to convey the exact same emotion you've already set up.

You know, I think I would have found it a lot harder if I drew her younger.
Old December 31st, 2012, 01:28 PM
Sheep
foxy foxy whats it gonna be

Nature: Timid
Oh goodness I love the Slowpoke one so much. It's very simple and the pastel pink really complements it well. The third image with your character is also pretty awesome; her pose really give me a good idea of her character and the stroke shading goes very nicely with it. Though as dbp said, the fourth image is the one that really makes me feel engaged with the image.

Awesome job, keep at it! =D
Old December 31st, 2012, 08:50 PM
Fairy
snappy

I too shall spoiler

Spoiler:

I adore that picture of Clem. I find it fascinating that you chose to draw her years older, simply because it implies she that would have survived which would be a miracle in and of itself. But above all, I love the fact that you've still kept the backdrop of Lee's decaying arm. It's as if she returned to the place he died. Your picture conveys such powerful emotion-- grief, contemplation, understanding -- easily identifiable even if you're not familiar with the game and its ending.

And that Slowpoke is absolutely dashing. I feel relaxed just looking at it! n_n;
birthday; september 17th
star sign; virgo
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:08 PM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Decided to get around to uploading all my other pictures.

Except I didn't, I uploaded one I drew today and got bored.

I'll do the rest soon.

Honest.

Edit: I'll just put this here.
Added a character I drew today, for a role-play.
Not much of an update I know, life's been busy recently and I've got extra shifts at work this week.
I should stop making excuses, it's bad form.

Last edited by Somniac; January 2nd, 2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:05 PM
xxkaylabby
unacceptable!
Community Supporter

Send a message via AIM to xxkaylabby Send a message via Skype™ to xxkaylabby
your artwork is very different. i like how you have different styles.
my favorite one is the last one because of the outline and how the shading is. it looks so realistic.
the first one bothers me because it just is plain with no shading.
i would work more on getting your shading right like how the last one is.
great work (: cant wait to see more.

|Pair|
|Theme|
|Tumblr|
|My Gallery|
|Friend Code|
|Trade Thread|

Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:28 PM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxkaylabby View Post
your artwork is very different. i like how you have different styles.
my favorite one is the last one because of the outline and how the shading is. it looks so realistic.
the first one bothers me because it just is plain with no shading.
i would work more on getting your shading right like how the last one is.
great work (: cant wait to see more.
Thanks, always nice to get some tips.

The first one really was just a quick sketch and colored very abruptly, I did it on livestream, as I waited to start, [A few people were there early].

The last one has much more effort put into it that some of the others.

I try to change up my style a lot, as I find it interesting to experiment whilst drawing, a lot of styles I don't try again, such as the first two pictures, however, some I find myself pleased with and will use them in the future, such as the last example.

I really should get around to uploaded all those pics on my PC.
Frankly it's an issue of being too lazy to go turn it on and shift through all the terrible stuff I have on it.
My new year's resolution shall be: to upload the drawings I have on my PC, before next december.

I'm confident that it will get done.
OK I'm not that confident.
I need a maid.
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Anastasia.R
Time Gear Thief

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Anastasia.R Send a message via Skype™ to Anastasia.R
I guess I'll post something!

http://i.imgur.com/YJ9Q6.png
Aha, very cute! And simple.
I would add a few ripples, just so it looks more like water.
http://i.imgur.com/6Ltok.png

Oh, I like how clean this looks. The shading of the face and neck are good and show where a light source is, but the hair shows differently. Well, some of it. There's some parts of the hair and or face where I'd add some shading. Example, there could be a shadow under the piece of hair that's over the eyebrow, or under the hair piece that's covering the ear.

Otherwise, I'd say you're work is pretty neat! =D
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

New one, again slightly different style. RP character in her new ski jacket.
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:59 AM
derozio
my ghost is whispering to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Your new character looks really good. This here is something I'd totally use. <3; I think the shading of the hair could be improved a bit like Ana said but this looks really good even now. Second pic you've posted doesn't look as good though, in my opinion. You've done a neat-o job on the pose and the coloring but shading is a little weird. Her jacket's shading is good, but not her body's. It looks especially weird at the left side of her waist - the part where her jacket is casting a shadow. I'd say it doesn't look like it is matching the jacket's shape. The shading on her head is a little weird too. I think it'd be better to shade strands of hair instead of darkening small parts like you did. The hair in your RP player pic, for example, has some better shading. This would like good if you could emulate something of that sort in here.

Two more things that bother me are
1) The eye's interior is skin-colored.
2) The shadow being cast by hair on her head is really weird. The part just below the hair is totally light while it becomes dark just a little further onward.

So yes, those are my gripes with it. But you're doing a terrific job. I love your stuff. This, if I had to pick one, is my favorite. Just because I probably haven't seen a better use of lines in works for a while now. Really amazing stuff.
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:00 PM
xxkaylabby
unacceptable!
Community Supporter

Send a message via AIM to xxkaylabby Send a message via Skype™ to xxkaylabby
your new drawing is really good! i like how you recreated the character again but in a different way.
like Derezio said, the shading is kind of weird. it's like it's thrown in there. try having one piece of light coming down and then draw the shadows to match the light source so it's not all random.
i wish the eyes had that white circle like in the head drawing. it makes the eyes more realistic.
keep drawing more(=

|Pair|
|Theme|
|Tumblr|
|My Gallery|
|Friend Code|
|Trade Thread|

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Redrew a piece from a few months ago to see if I could improve it, any suggestions and criticism would be appreciated:

The Old:

The New:

Old February 17th, 2013, 01:28 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I specifically like your style in drawing humans. The shading is subtle and done well. Your art is simple, but in a good way.

Also, I definitely can see improvement between the two drawings you posted, especially with the shading. (:
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Zissou
Unhatched Egg

I know I'm a bit late to the party here, but I'd really love to comment on your Clementine piece.

First of all, great job! It looks fantastic. Honestly, I'd expect that caliber of work from an artist working on the game, not a fan just trying to have some fun.

When I first saw the piece, I assumed it was a re-creation of a specific scene in the game we all remember (I won't spoil it, don't worry). When I actually took it all in, I realized she was at least five years older. That got me thinking quite a bit and I really like the path it took me down. I feel that having Clementine sitting in the same position, obviously very haggard and distraught, says just about everything I wish the developers had said upon the game's conclusion.

I'm going to put the rest of this in a "spoiler window" to avoid ruining the game for anyone who's yet to play it.

Spoiler:
I wound up thinking that Clementine must have been living in that horrible world for years now, going from place to place trying to replicate her relationship with Lee and the group (with varying consequences and outcomes). Your piece immediately brought images of the entire "The Walking Dead" comic series to mind and I couldn't help but see all the horrifying images contained within flash before my eyes in a way. I hadn't thought about it until now, but I'm surprised at how much zombie-stuff I've read/watched over the past two years.

Back to Clementine, I found myself thinking about all the people she must have met, the roamers she must have killed, and the tough choices she must have endured just to get back to the same position that must have crushed her the first time around. I wonder who's arm that is and how, ~five years later, Clementine finds herself just as desperate and downtrodden as she was ~five years prior.

Not only are those thoughts haunting, but they create a much deeper story than the one officially issued by TellTale. In my opinion, the beliefs and images created within the mind of the consumer are those that really have an impact, and your piece does plenty to perpetuate that ideal and has given me plenty of desire to pick up the game once again.

Now, the piece itself. I really enjoy it's general composition and detail, but more than that I enjoy it's mood and dark-yet-light feel.
(I'm not an artist, but I live with and love one, so sorry for the lack of terminology).

I think the ripples on her clothing are very well done and provide much more depth with their current color than they ever could if they were jet-black. Techniques like that are quite foreign to me, but I can certainly appreciate them when I see them!

All-in-all, great job! I'd love to see more of your work one of these days!
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Spent the last 2 hours writing a sign-up for a new RP and doodled the char afterwards.

Tried a new style out with this one, more of a 'chunky' deformed type drawing.
~45mins in SAI.
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Was watching the anime Code Geass, for what must be the 15th time, and drew this, using a screen-shot as a reference

If anyone hasn't seen it and enjoys heavily plot driven 'thinking' shows such as death note, it's certainly worth a watch.

Old February 21st, 2013, 06:09 AM
Indeimaus
Ornstein & Smough

Very simplistic style, pretty awesome though. Enjoying the style you use to color things!
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

New piece, a request by forum user Batel, of his RP character; Indigo.

Old February 27th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Semi large update with all the stuff I've been working on recently;

A request from Batel:

A bunch of gifs I had which loop exceptionally well, made a few nice sigs.

Last edited by Somniac; February 27th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old February 28th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Jokedon
Unhatched Egg

Really nice work! I like your style, brush strokes etc. Do you draw with a pencil first and then move to computer to colour in etc or how do you do it?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links